Why Al Jefferson Makes Sense

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Why Al Jefferson Makes Sense

I seriously doubt you could get Jefferson for Bradley and loose parts, but if you could, then yeah, I agree with your thinking and analysis here. 

Bradley had a rough playoffs overall and his stock is down...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

jefferson at the 4 is the only thing that makes sense.  his record playing the 5 is a bloodbath of either push numbers in his personal match up or giving up more than he gets. 

jefferson has gone nowhere since leaving boston- his game has matured somewhat.  his rebounds are down, he's likely on the downside of his career after his injury.  he plays lousy defense. 

why can't we set our sights a little higher than a has been waiting to happen?

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I seriously doubt you could get Jefferson for Bradley and loose parts, but if you could, then yeah, I agree with your thinking and analysis here. 

Bradley had a rough playoffs overall and his stock is down...

No, that's not what I mean.

If the Celts amnesty Pierce and KG retires, the Celts will more or less have a payroll of 46m. That means they can sign Big Al for 13m per year that starts at 9m or 10m on the first year of his contract.

Avery Bradley and Courtney Lee are redundant. Both are defensive guards. If Ainge can package one of them, or both, and the Celts' 16th pick in this year's draft to get a lottery pick, the Celts might end up getting a future star. 

Basically what I'm saying is AB or Lee, or both, and the 16th pick for a lottery pick.

I prefer the Celts getting Shabazz Muhammad.

Shabazz can do it all offensively.

Who is going to stop the other team???

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Al Jefferson makes sense for $10M/p , 3yr deal

Even that is too expensive, but that's what it is...

I would rather have Emeka Okafor for $8M/p , 3 yr than Al Jefferson.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

Al Jefferson makes sense for $10M/p , 3yr deal

Even that is too expensive, but that's what it is...

I would rather have Emeka Okafor for $8M/p , 3 yr than Al Jefferson.....

I think we go after RFA Pekovic asap with a backend loaded 4 yr deal (Poison Pill) at $8MM - $10MM - $15MM - $17MM and force Minny to match. Remember, Minny has Love on the books in 2015-16' for $17MM and Rubio will be due a huge contract that year for another $10-12MM. With an offer to Pekovic that pays $15MM that same year, Minny will have a hard time matching cause they will have $44MM tied up in three players.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Wessel_Decision_on_Nikola_Pekovic_will_be_among_Wolves_most_important040713

> Pekovic is a restricted free agent so the Wolves can match any offer sheet he signs with another team but that likely will be costly. It is no secret that Portland will be willing to pay top dollar for Pekovic. It could cost the Wolves upward of $12 million or beyond to sign Pekovic and there are those who are skeptical about whether he is worth that much.

Signing Pekovic to a deal like that would mean $26 million of your cap is tied up in Kevin Love and Pekovic. Keep in mind Ricky Rubio is going to need a new deal soon. <

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

A dream come true to land Pekovic !

I didn't even mention him because he's such a pipe dream....

He would be PERFECT , not many big men in his class in today's NBA.

Your contract would be the best case scenerio ! 

I can't see Minnesota letting him get away though

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

A dream come true to land Pekovic !

I didn't even mention him because he's such a pipe dream....

He would be PERFECT , not many big men in his class in today's NBA.

Your contract would be the best case scenerio ! 

I can't see Minnesota letting him get away though

They'd have a hard time tying up $44MM in three players (Love, Pekovic & Rubio) ... We might be able to offer a 5th year team option at $20MM and blow them out of the water. Of course it's expected that Portland will try a similar tactic so Ainge needs to make this a priority item once he knows for sure KG's status.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

Right now Big Al is a better overall player than Pekovic.

So we'll see.

Pekovic is Howard with Heart ... Not some clown going through the motions just for the fun of it and/or $. He's an inch taller and a year younger than Big AL and is a stronger, more physical low post defender/scorer who can't easily be stopped when he gets position. Not sure I would say the same of Jefferson. That said, Jefferson will be fine if Pekovic can't be had.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

I agree with the rebounding point, that its hard to get a good assessment of Al Jefferson when he's been surrounded by excellent rebounders like Millsap, Favors, Kanter.

Its hard to tell if he has some James Harden in him, meaning if he comes to Boston, to a real contender that needs an allstar big man, will he step up his game? He is only 27. We expect Rondo to continue to grow and get better, can we not expect Big Al to do the same? Would he not be put into a position to succeed?

If, KG and PP are moved in some way (retire, trade, amnesty, buyout) I think Al at 9M first year of a 5 year deal would be a steal

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

Who is going to stop the other team???

Team defense.

Getting a Tony Allen type of player is easier than getting a future star.

Ainge can't solve all the Celts' problems in one year. It will take time. But if you don't have a future star then the other team won't have to stop you, you will stop yourself because you don't have the ability to make shots.

The offense is more important for a rebuilding team. Get the defensive players later because they're cheaper.

Your right,  it will take Ainge at least 10 years so we might as well be patient.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

You guys may be right about Al Jefferson, I just have a bad feeling. The way Utah lost the race against the one-leged lakers just supported my opinion that Big Al is not a winner. But I haven't seem him enough to be sure of course.

But 12-13 / year for him doesn't feel right. Will he really be tradeable in 2 years? Maybe it is better to have cap space.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I'd rather Shaq came out of retirement than sign Jefferson for that amount.

Other than that Pekovic type "miracle" deal our options are very limited.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

Fierce - I don't get your fixation on Big Al.  Yes he is better offensively than KG and we will be slightly better rebounding wise but only because he'll play more minutes not because he is a better rebounder - but we will be SIGNIFICANTLY worse defensively.  But more importantly, you are always talking about gathering "assets" which I get.  This doesn't do that.  Trading KG for Al means you are establishing a core moving forward - Rondo, JG, Big Al and hoping the Sully emerges.  (AB will not bring a major piece in return at this point in his career).  You ar enot gathering assets - as they are all older and more $$.  You can argue that the core is tradeable.  Sure anything can happen, but we didn't trade players pushing late 20's to get KG & RA, we traded young.  I am open to examples (as I can't think of any right now...) where two players both making $10M+ were traded for one great player...

You keep talking about the next banner and avoiding perenially being in the "purgatory" of a 5-8 seed talent.  I get that - but Big Al for KG as the major move off season basically guarantees that outcome, which is why I don't get why you are pushing it.  (Additionally, I doubt seriously that some GM won't offer him more than the $9-$10M you think we can sign him for.).  If given the choice, I would rather play out next year with KG and then look at the next set of options than commit to 5yrs of Big Al probably starting more at the $12M level and notyour $9M... I could certainly be wrong but don't think $9M is realistic for someone who averaged 18/9 last this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

You guys may be right about Al Jefferson, I just have a bad feeling. The way Utah lost the race against the one-leged lakers just supported my opinion that Big Al is not a winner. But I haven't seem him enough to be sure of course.

But 12-13 / year for him doesn't feel right. Will he really be tradeable in 2 years? Maybe it is better to have cap space.

Down the stretch this year Big Al had 21.5 point and 10.5 rebound averages in April as Utah battled for a final playoff spot. They went 5-3 that month, needing to go at least 6-2 or likely 7-1 to have made it in.

In his last 3 games Al averaged 28 points and 12.3 rebounds as the Jazz went 2-1. I feel he is a winner, but only as a team's 3rd best player and certainly as more of a PF than C.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Would MUCH rather have Pekovic than Al Jefferson. I don't agree that AL J. is a better player than Pekovic either - Pekovic is a true BEAST , but with excellent offensive skills. Both him and Al J are legit 20-10 guys, but it cannot be argued that Al J is WEAK defensively and does not play with the same intensity that KG or Pekovic play with....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Down the stretch this year Big Al had 21.5 point and 10.5 rebound averages in April as Utah battled for a final playoff spot. They went 5-3 that month, needing to go at least 6-2 or likely 7-1 to have made it in.

In his last 3 games Al averaged 28 points and 12.3 rebounds as the Jazz went 2-1. I feel he is a winner, but only as a team's 3rd best player and certainly as more of a PF than C.

Thanks for the inside! Really interesting, maybe I underestimate Big Al. The Problem: If he is that good, he will be a) very expensive next year and b) make us fight for seed 5-8. That means delaying the rebuilt for 5 more years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd try and do a sign and trade for him. Lee, Melo and T. Williams plus our 2014 and 2016 1st rd picks (top 5 protected).

Lee (5.25), Melo (1.3) and Williams (950k) make a combined 7.5 million. Signing Big Al for 125% more than that in his first year means we can give him 9.4 million.

with 10% raises per year over the 5 years Utah can give him (only 4 years if it wasn't a sign and trade) that is 9.4-10.35-11.75-12.9-14.1, so a total of 58.5 million.

5 years and 58.5 million is worth it for the 18-9 al will give. Hopefully with Rondo, Doc and in Boston he will be a 22-11 type player.

Sully has the potential to be just as good a rebounder (or even better) than Millsap. KG for 1-2 more years is easily around what Kanter was the past 1-2 years next to Al and as we saw in the playoffs can bring it on the boards when it counts. We'd need to upgrade Bass to more of a F-C type, esp with Green still playing some mins at PF.