Why Can't They Play Without Fouling?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bopna. Show bopna's posts

Re: Why Can't They Play Without Fouling?

That is what old teams do...foul to stop the clock and an opprtunity for a breather, see 4th qtr game 7 finals where we went on a fouling spree

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Not sure I agree with bopna but he does have half a point.  We are an old team and 4 of our 5 starters normally are unable to defensively stay with their man.  The fifth, Rondo, refuses to commit to defending his man most of the game.

Ray, KG and Shaq can no longer consistently stay with their man because they don't have the foot speed needed.  Pierce makes up for it by playing technically sound on-the-ball defense.  He gets lost alot when he leaves his man for open shots.  And Rondo, with all his talents, he's simply too stubborn to stop trying to make the big steal and thus exposes the slow (see above) frontcourt.

Honestly, our perimeter defense is letting us down and this gets our bigs in foul trouble.  I never thought I'd say this but I miss Perkins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Petey62, I agree with you.  But what would perkins have done in this game?  They do not run offensive plays for him.  Is a double-double machine?  At least SHAQ is going to force the opposition to foul him.  I miss Perk as well, but he will need to come off the bench and be the defensive player for the second unit a long with JON.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Petey,

I agree with you about Perkins.  He is definitely missed so far this season. Unfortunately, even when he returns he may not be very effective. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In Response to Re: Why Can't They Play Without Fouling?:
    [QUOTE]Petey62, I agree with you.  But what would perkins have done in this game?  They do not run offensive plays for him.  Is a double-double machine?  At least SHAQ is going to force the opposition to foul him.  I miss Perk as well, but he will need to come off the bench and be the defensive player for the second unit a long with JON.
    Posted by jdm894g[/QUOTE]

I think Perk provides the base of our defense.  He works so much better as the anchor of our defense, much better than Shaq.  He reacts better to pick and rolls and Shaq gets alot of fouls because he does not defend-he throws his body in there as a "no-layup" enforcer.  Sometimes, it's easier to simply position yourself correctly and block the shot.  Shaq does not do that.  Perkins does.

I don't know Perk's effect on the Toronto game but his effect on our team defense concept is invaluable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

It's ironic to talk about how fouls hurt this team, when the reality is that the C's lost the game on the FT line.  What'd they miss, eleven FTs?  Twelve?  They should have won this game by at least 7-8 points, but could not hit their FTs.

Having said that, there was no foul on the play at the end of the game to put Toronto at the line.  None. The refs blew a whistle with under 3 seconds remaining on a loose ball play. 

But again, the C's never should have been in that position.  My point is, had even half of their misses been made, we're not having this discussion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RoadrunnerFL. Show RoadrunnerFL's posts

Maybe this was already posted, and I just didn't see it:

When Pierce fouled Amir Johnson with 2.7 seconds remaining, I thought that foul was our "foul to give."  If so, then Johnson should not have been shooting free throws; replays show that he was jumping to rebound the ball.  He was very definitely not shooting.  Toronto should have been passing the ball in with 2.7 seconds left, down by a point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

You mean when pierce supposedly fouled johnson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RoadrunnerFL. Show RoadrunnerFL's posts

I was watching the game on NBA League Pass, so the broadcast I saw was narrated by the Toronto announcers.  During a timeout with about 20 seconds left, they said something that amounted to "The Celtics coaches are reminding their players that they still have a foul to give." 

Until that foul was called on Pierce with 2.7 seconds left, the Celts committed no other fouls.  So wasn't it a very serious refereeing mistake to send Johnson to the free throw line, probably reversing the outcome of the game?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

Now you all understand 37-17. Finally. Nuff said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

In Response to Why Can't They Play Without Fouling?:
    [QUOTE]I don't understand why this team fouls so much.  It seems that when they lose, they commit fouls way too early putting teams in the bonus not half way through periods.  Shaq and Erden are the worst.  At times it seems that some players would rather foul and give up free points than play defense.  This plagued them last year as well.  Doc needs to light a fire under them and tell them to quit making stupid fouls and taking the easy way out.  The Celtics are supposed to have the best defense in the NBA, they have no reason to continually give up free points like they are.  I know it has cost them the last two games, and I think it did against Cleveland and Dallas as well.
    Posted by wvcelticsfan[/QUOTE]

Because they are slow and lazy .. sorry I love my team, but its true