Why Did Shaq Choose the Celtics.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Why Did Shaq Choose the Celtics.

Lots of speculation in these parts and around the NBA on why Shaq decided to come to Boston.

I already posited that he is unhappy with the collusion in Miami and wants to help the Celtics go after the Heat and win another ring.  Others think he wants a ring to pull even with Kobe in rings.  Other theories must abound.

Let's put a straw poll together and see what we think.

Why Shaq Chose Boston?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

Re: Why Did Shaq Choose the Celtics.

"cause nobody else wanted that fat azzz.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

This is why I think he wanted to come to Boston. I said the below in another post about Kobe gloating he had another ring but I think another motivation is that Kobe was influential in a" he go, I go" running Shaq out of town so I think he'd like to return to LA & win a title especially wearing GREEN !!!

"I was happy we beat the Cavs but if not I would love to have had them beat the Lakers & their MVP, Kobe. Regarding him fitting in with our guys, I remind you that he and Kobe were never good friends and wouldn't even shake hands sometimes after victories yet they won 3 titles together from 2000-2002. Shaq was MVP in all 3 and I'm sure Kobe was not pleased as he'd probably have passed Michael Jordan by now if he'd won 1-2 of them. Shaq went on and won another title with Miami. Kobe in an interview after this recent game 7 when asked about Shaq, said that he(Kobe) had one one ring that he had."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Hi Ski,
        The reason I think Shaq joined the Celtics is because he read your poll. Everybody likes to be wanted. 82% approval says welcome Shaq.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

We are getting a motivated Shaq that knows it's his last ride. Best time to get him

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Why Did Shaq Choose the Celtics.:
    [QUOTE]Hi Ski,     The reason I think Shaq joined the Celtics is because he read your poll. Everybody likes to be wanted. 82% approval says welcome Shaq.
    Posted by mem17[/QUOTE]

Dats a real gud 'un, Man. 

Who don't want to be wanted . . . and we all know that this forum is a must read on a daily basis for all NBA insiders.

LoL & Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

HE HAD NO OTHER OFFERS! HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Shaq Choose the Celtics. : Dats a real gud 'un, Man.  Who don't want to be wanted . . . and we all know that this forum is a must read on a daily basis for all NBA insiders. LoL &
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

Ski...under your 1st post I gave my reason but here's another. I think that the class thing for the Lakers to have done was to take him back for a year or two & let him retire where he won 3 championships & was MVP in all of them. We know he and Kobe were not close but they bit their tongues & cooperated sufficiently to play well enough to win 3 rings. There were some comments that he might not fit in with our guys. If he got along with Kobe, he can get along with anybody & everybody.

And, you know, with all their big guys Shaq wouldn't have needed play more that 20 min. I think the fans would have liked it too. Also, I don't believe Shaq's # has been retired among all the Laker greats & this would have given him a definite opportunity to have had it done.

Now, Kobe, whom I said in my previous post on this topic did comment he had one more ring than Shaq. Even Kobe is smart enough to calculate that if they got another ring(s) together, he'd still be ahead of Shaq by one. Maybe he'd be worried Shaq got another MVP as if he had just 1 of the 3 that Shaq got, he'd be tied for MVPs with Michael Jordan. And, again, Kobe should be but I don't know for sure fairly confident that Shaq would not get another MVP at his age.

So, as per being WANTED. He wasn't in LA and now is in Boston so I expect he'll be tremendously motivated.

Anyway, let's hope Shaq gets another ring in LA and ties Kobe but does it in a LOVELY GREEN UNIFORM !!!

ps...That is, of course, if Kevin Durant's Thunder don't knock them off as they almost did this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Shaq Choose the Celtics. : Ski...under your 1st post I gave my reason but here's another. I think that the class thing for the Lakers to have done was to take him back for a year or two & let him retire where he won 3 championships & was MVP in all of them. We know he and Kobe were not close but they bit their tongues & cooperated sufficiently to play well enough to win 3 rings. There were some comments that he might not fit in with our guys. If he got along with Kobe, he can get along with anybody & everybody. And, you know, with all their big guys Shaq wouldn't have needed play more that 20 min. I think the fans would have liked it too. Also, I don't believe Shaq's # has been retired among all the Laker greats & this would have given him a definite opportunity to have had it done. Now, Kobe, whom I said in my previous post on this topic did comment he had one more ring than Shaq. Even Kobe is smart enough to calculate that if they got another ring(s) together, he'd still be ahead of Shaq by one. Maybe he'd be worried Shaq got another MVP as if he had just 1 of the 3 that Shaq got, he'd be tied for MVPs with Michael Jordan. And, again, Kobe should be but I don't know for sure fairly confident that Shaq would not get another MVP at his age. So, as per being WANTED. He wasn't in LA and now is in Boston so I expect he'll be tremendously motivated. Anyway, let's hope Shaq gets another ring in LA and ties Kobe but does it in a  LOVELY GREEN UNIFORM !!! ps...That is, of course, if Kevin Durant's Thunder don't knock them off as they almost did this year.
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

Nice post, Mando, but do you think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Kobe would ever let the Big Guy back in Laker blue?  Never has a more selfish rapist played the game of basketball.

If you're looking for class, look outside of LA.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

He chose the celtics because he's smart, he could have made more $$ elsewhere, they would have given it to him, he draws viewers and dollars, and he could have gotten more than 2.8 over 2 years, plus think about it from the mindset of a player who got forced of his team where he brought 3 titles, they crapped on him on his way out of town, so - to have a chance to play for the enenmy and avenge this to finish his career, perfect scenario.  Storybook finish to a great career.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Never a shaq fane BUT, now that he is a Celtic....... I'm hoping that we get a Shaq with a chip, a big chip, on his shoulder and wants nothing more than to pummel the teams and players he feels dissed him namely Kobe,Dwayne, the Queenie,Lakers and Heat. All talked sh!t about shake as soon as he wasn't within swinging distance. By any means necessary by talent or injury.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from catmandoo. Show catmandoo's posts

Shaq, knows and likes the style of how the Celtics play and he fits in much like Perk does. He also knows Rondo is going to get him the ball in good positions to score. He is going to help more than a lot of our fans realize.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The Celts were the best available team, which is fine with me.  If he wants to even the championship score wityh Kobe before he retires, that is not a bad thing for Boston.  If he can help deliever #18, it will be forever part of his legacy that he won championships with 3 teams.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Shaq said on Kimmel that he is on the 2 year plan and then retirement.  Two championships here and he is ahead of Kobe.  Will he work for the two years?  Stay in good shape?  We'll see.

PA

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

What already has me concerned about Shaq is his media driven 'personality' and what kind of discord it will sow on the team. Restaurants want to 'do something with him' and he hasn't shown up for work yet. Say what you will, but if he's pulling in big endorsement bucks without doing any heavy lifting on the court, it will mean big trouble in the lockerroom. Will Shaq actually keep his mouth shut and follow the team's lead? Will he refrain from having 'his people' quoted in some favored columnist's musings? Will he keep from playing the old, 'only the refs and God can keep me down' card? If any of these scenarios rear their ugly head, I hope the Celts have no trouble with cutting or trading him ASAP!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]What already has me concerned about Shaq is his media driven 'personality' and what kind of discord it will sow on the team. Restaurants want to 'do something with him' and he hasn't shown up for work yet. Say what you will, but if he's pulling in big endorsement bucks without doing any heavy lifting on the court, it will mean big trouble in the locker-room. Will Shaq actually keep his mouth shut and follow the team's lead? Will he refrain from having 'his people' quoted in some favored columnist's musings? Will he keep from playing the old, 'only the refs and God can keep me down' card? If any of these scenarios rear their ugly head, I hope the Celts have no trouble with cutting or trading him ASAP!
    Posted by SoCalCeltFan[/QUOTE]

-

Good points.

I am certainly not averse to keeping Shaq on a short leash and cutting our losses at the first sign of serious trouble.  I've said from the get-go that I'm for signing Shaq as long as we have an out in case he doesn't work for some reason.

It's up to Danny and Doc to explain the facts of life in Boston and the Celtic Way to Shaq in a way that there is no wiggle room for him claim he's being misunderstood.

And it up to the big money, big ego vets on the team to keep Shaq in check and show him the way by example.  By my observation Shaq is not lacking in the IQ department, but we'll see about the "common sense" department.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

for the price of his contract, I'd say there is more possible upside than downside

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Shaq joined the Celts because he had no other legitimate suitors. In the end he was haggling over money. Kobe was primary & the Celts offerred the best option for a washed-up, ego driven geezer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]Shaq said on Kimmel that he is on the 2 year plan and then retirement.  Two championships here and he is ahead of Kobe.  Will he work for the two years?  Stay in good shape?  We'll see. PA
    Posted by PACelt[/QUOTE]
        I saw the clip from that show. Shaq was rightfully becoming annoyed by Kimmel's sarcastic remarks. Some talk show hosts lack good manners and this character Kimmel appears to be one of them.
        What ever happenned to talk show hosts like Johnny Carson who treated their guests with respect?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

Something to look forward to a fat overweight Shaq who only got one offer and that was from the oldest team in the league!!   Atleast the Cs got one thing right they paid him what he was worth.......................almost nothing! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]Something to look forward to a fat overweight Shaq who only got one offer and that was from the oldest team in the league!!   Atleast the Cs got one thing right they paid him what he was worth.......................almost nothing! 
    Posted by kobedaman[/QUOTE]

Actually, the lakers are the oldest team in the league!

this is kobeismrnba, already been banned - also swore he'd never come back

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishDrunk. Show IrishDrunk's posts

He's desperate.  At this stage in his career, he does nothing but make his team worse.  Take the Cavs last year vs the year before as the prime example.  To win another title, he knows the team will have to carry him along.  He mistakenly thinks Boston is good enough to give him a prayer to win another title.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Shaq Choose the Celtics. : Actually, the lakers are the oldest team in the league! this is kobeismrnba, already been banned - also swore he'd never come back
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

Let's get one thing straight you little SNITCH, I'm not this kobeismrnba user.  I don't give a fuc what test is used you and your buddies will come up empty!  Maybe I should turn you in for harassment.  Now if you want to talk smack, by all means let's get it on!  First your math is way off, because Sheed is still technically a Celtic.  Next, in your Laker math I'm sure you did not include Brown who is signed.  Lastly, if we sign either rookie or both Lakers will be far under the Celtics team age.  How does it feel to look up to the defending champs again?  lmao

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Did Shaq Choose the Celtics. : Let's get one thing straight you little SNITCH, I'm not this kobeismrnba user.  I don't give a fuc what test is used you and your buddies will come up empty!  Maybe I should turn you in for harassment.  Now if you want to talk smack, by all means let's get it on!  First your math is way off, because Sheed is still technically a Celtic.  Next, in your Laker math I'm sure you did not include Brown who is signed.  Lastly, if we sign either rookie or both Lakers will be far under the Celtics team age.  How does it feel to look up to the defending champs again?  lmao
    Posted by kobedaman[/QUOTE]

I did not include ANY players that were re-signed, Fisher, Brown, Robinson or Daniels.

Sheed's status is up in the air, but DA said he is retiring, so that's what I went by.

Turn me in, go ahead - I turned you in for language abuse - lmao!