Why did we resign Green and not trade him

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Why did we resign Green and not trade him

Green got resigned for nine million. I like him as a talent but after watching all the acquisitions last year implode why not deal him. Sasha and JON were not any help at all yet they are back.  We should have done anything we could have to get David West and maybe there is a chance we still can, but this Celtic team will not go anywhere as constructed.  

Last night anything seemed possible I hope Danny is still at work on this.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: Why did we resign Green and not trade him

Ainge has always liked Green.  If he turns out to be better this year - Ainge will have more dough next year to throw at Green. 

If he ends up being mediocre - buh-bye.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Why did we resign Green and not trade him:
    [QUOTE]It was $5.9 million.
    Posted by Kirk6[/QUOTE]

Kirk - it was 9!

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/7339166/boston-celtics-re-sign-jeff-green

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Yeah, I thought it was $9 mm too which seemed like an uneccessary bump from the $5.9 mm needed. Unless other teams were snooping around and DA wanted to control the price or it was the beginning of a sign & trade that fell apart.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

For that matter, why sign a 2nd round pick like Moore to a guaranteed contract and then go out and grab Sasha? I just hope DA still has some tricks up his sleeve.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The qualifying offer was something in the $5.9M range but he signed for $9m for one year.  Danny paid higher to incent him to sign for one year.   In that year, we get to trial him and Danny maintains flexibility for next year.   Its all about minimizing contracts for multiple years.

Also, the reason we signed him without trading him is because he's good.  We have not seen the best of Jeff Green.  He's better than Bass, better than Marquis, better than Wilcox, etc.  He will be our best man off the bench and maybe even a starter.  I bet C's fans will be more appreciative of this kid after a training camp and some comfort/fit into our system.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]The qualifying offer was something in the $5.9M range but he signed for $9m for one year.  Danny paid higher to incent him to sign for one year.   In that year, we get to trial him and Danny maintains flexibility for next year.   Its all about minimizing contracts for multiple years. Also, the reason we signed him without trading him is because he's good.  We have not seen the best of Jeff Green.  He's better than Bass, better than Marquis, better than Wilcox, etc.  He will be our best man off the bench and maybe even a starter.  I bet C's fans will be more appreciative of this kid after a training camp and some comfort/fit into our system.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    Unfort camp is only 2 weeks this year, so I hope you're right buddy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In the time that I have seen Green, he has looked confused and lost.  He doesn't know what to do.  He has not found his strength on the floor.

Now there is a lot of data that says that he is a 3 and not a 4.  OK, so lets try him there an hope that he figures it out.  Right now he is a question mark and Danny overpaid to retain him and maintain cap flexibility.  But what good is that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, I thought it was $9 mm too which seemed like an uneccessary bump from the $5.9 mm needed. Unless other teams were snooping around and DA wanted to control the price or it was the beginning of a sign & trade that fell apart.
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

Since we have Bird Rights he can be traded as soon as he was resigned ... What could you swap for $6M ... Now if they trade him they can get another $9M asset.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we resign Green and not trade him : Can't trade Green now because he can't be traded after signing a new contract.  We couldn't even get Aaron Gray. Ha Ha
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Yes you can ... We have Bird rights

21. CAN A FREE AGENT BE SIGNED AND THEN IMMEDIATELY TRADED?

A team may resign its own free agent and then immediately trade him. The league doesn't like it, but the right to do so was established by an arbitrator regarding an incident in the '97 off-season involving Chris Dudley and the Portland Trailblazers, who resigned Dudley and then immediately traded him to the New York Knicks.

It is not legal, however, for a team to sign a free agent not its own and then immediately trade him.

http://www.ee.scu.edu/eefac/okamoto/webpage/garret/Lakers/lakers/capfaq.html#q2

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tachometrix. Show Tachometrix's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we resign Green and not trade him : Yes you can ... We have Bird rights 21. CAN A FREE AGENT BE SIGNED AND THEN IMMEDIATELY TRADED? A team may resign its own free agent and then immediately trade him. The league doesn't like it, but the right to do so was established by an arbitrator regarding an incident in the '97 off-season involving Chris Dudley and the Portland Trailblazers, who resigned Dudley and then immediately traded him to the New York Knicks. It is not legal, however, for a team to sign a free agent not its own and then immediately trade him. http://www.ee.scu.edu/eefac/okamoto/webpage/garret/Lakers/lakers/capfaq.html#q2
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Why are you using an old capfaq from the Lakers?

Fierce is gonna ROFL at you again. JEFF GREEN CANNOT BE TRADED!

Under the new rule, a traded player must wait six months to sign an extension, and a player who signs an extension cannot be traded for six months.

restricted free agent forward Jeff Green -- signed a one-year deal with Boston on Saturday and can not be traded for six months.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/12/11/lakers.odom/index.html#ixzz1gJj05i3w

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In the time that I have seen Green, he has looked confused and lost.  He doesn't know what to do.  He has not found his strength on the floor. Now there is a lot of data that says that he is a 3 and not a 4.  OK, so lets try him there an hope that he figures it out.  Right now he is a question mark and Danny overpaid to retain him and maintain cap flexibility.  But what good is that?
    Posted by prakash[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about Green.  He is supposed to be a good player and hopefully will be much better this season.  I also believe that he is much better playing the small forward position and that is where he should play most of the time. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NegativeTrollsAbound. Show NegativeTrollsAbound's posts

Boston Herald says paperwork was done for Green but he hasn't practiced because he may be in a deal. Thoughts?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Jeff Green is a good young asset and the Celtics now have him signed up in the best possible scenerio.

As talented as Green is, and if he stays I predict he'll be great with the Celtics  he is also the perfect trade asset - reasonable short money contract , team can autition him as he plays for a long term deal - perfect for everyone

But it's all about the roster. What if signing Jeff Green allows the C's to package JON and Green to the Clippers for Chris Kamen ? Or add a few spare parts and land Kevin Love....

BUT LETS NOT FORGET JOB #1 THIS MONDAY MORNING:

Chauncey Billups is available TODAY - Doc and Danny should be at Billups home TODAY with an offer to join the Celtics. I think the return of Chauncey Billups to Boston on a one or two year deal would be one of the big stories in recent Celtics history. I think it would be the perfect move for everyone involved..

.. I predict it would instantly cure Rondo's so-called stubborn streak ! 

The offense would never bog down and Billups would be the perfect 3rd guard with Rondo and Ray, he could play either spot with either guy !

I HOPE DANNY AND DOC ARE TALKING TO CHAUNCEY BILLUPS RIGHT NOW !

DANNY AINGE IS DRINKING EVERYONE'S MILKSHAKE !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Phx,
    I like your comments. Garnett is one of Billups children's godfather. Send him over with Doc and Danny to talk to Chauncey. You are right he could get a lot of time between Ray and Rondo. Billups can play the last few minutes of every game. He may be subject to injury as a downside.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Right now, we should go after Rip Hamilton, who was bought out by Detroit.  Rescind Sasha's contract and bring in Rip.

We need to do that NOW.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    Re: Billups. Hate to rain on your parade but there are quite a few other teams before Celtics that have a shot at CB.

AK

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we resign Green and not trade him : Why are you using an old capfaq from the Lakers? Fierce is gonna ROFL at you again. JEFF GREEN CANNOT BE TRADED! Under the new rule, a traded player must wait six months to sign an extension, and a player who signs an extension cannot be traded for six months. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/14/sports/basketball/what-nba-could- be-like-under-a-new-labor-deal.html?_r=1 restricted free agent forward Jeff Green -- signed a one-year deal with Boston on Saturday and can not be traded for six months. Read more:  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/12/11/lakers.odom/index.html#ixzz1gJj05i3w  
    Posted by Tachometrix[/QUOTE]

Use of a Lakers capfaq is cause that's the first one I found with the court ruling re trading players with Bird rights ....

Green did not sign an "extension" ... he was our property and he accepted a new contract. I have not seen any new CBA ruling prohibiting trading your own resigned FA with Bird Rights. If you have such a ruling under the new CBA please post a credible link.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Not sure where Green’s ceiling is, but he is better than what he showed last year.  I see him being a focal point early which will determine his long term position with the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

While I think it's best to keep him and see where it goes ... Successor or Failure, I still think given a big trade he could be used as a piece. Can anyone prove otherwise with a New CBA link?

24. This post has been removed.