why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostondynNASTY. Show bostondynNASTY's posts

why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green

ok so this is what bothers me about this deal.  you already have an awful free throw shooter on this team in Rondo.  I do not like this move as Shaq is even worse the RR so at the end of the game how could you have these 2 on the court.  We will need Shaq on the d-end of the court while Perk is out.  I have a bad feeling we will see a hack a Shaq approach with him and Rondo both on the court. 

Also, with this signing i feel like using the whole MLE on the JON was a waist.  When Perk comes back where does it put him on the depth chart of bigs?

What do you guys think about issues like this.  The rest of the posts on here today has everyone all of a sudden being a huge shaq fan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Re: why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green

In Response to why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green:
    [QUOTE]ok so this is what bothers me about this deal.  you already have an awful free throw shooter on this team in Rondo.  I do not like this move as Shaq is even worse the RR so at the end of the game how could you have these 2 on the court.  We will need Shaq on the d-end of the court while Perk is out.  I have a bad feeling we will see a hack a Shaq approach with him and Rondo both on the court.  Also, with this signing i feel like using the whole MLE on the JON was a waist.  When Perk comes back where does it put him on the depth chart of bigs? What do you guys think about issues like this.  The rest of the posts on here today has everyone all of a sudden being a huge shaq fan.
    Posted by bostondynNASTY[/QUOTE]
      Don't worry and be optimistimic is what I think

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NineSevenEight. Show NineSevenEight's posts

Perk, much like Shaq and Rondo, is also a terrible FT shooter. That would be a wash.

I think the Celtics used up their MLE on JON because he was the best available big man (JON can play the 4 and the 5). Because that is the biggest hole the Celtics (with their hands tied) had to fill, they went for the the kill early into free agency. Now that the market has cooled, it has basically dictated Shaq's impending move to the Celtics. No other contender wanted to pay him. If you're the Celtics, why not step in and take scoop up another big man for the vet minimum? Shaq's willingness to take so little shows, to me, that he is willing to come on as a role player. How could it not be for a guy that was making 20 million last season?

What I worry about most is pick-and-roll D. I'm sure Doc will know where to pick and choose as far as matchups are concerned.

Also, because he's signed for the minimum, the Celtics have the option of waiving him if it proves that his presence on the team isn't working out. It's a low risk, high reward deal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Shaq works in green all day long.  This is a win-win situation for the Celtics.  We got Shaq for the veteran's minimum.  Like NineSevenEight says, Shaq's willingness to accept the vet minimum means he's ok to playing the role of a backup.  Even at 38, when the playoffs start, he will be a force.

Shaq provides so much of what the Celtics lacked last year.  To think the Celtics were so close to a ring.  If the Celtics rebounded better in game 7, I truly believe we'd be champions.  Shaq's signing solves that HUGE problem.  JON also fills that void.

We haven't had scoring from the center position in 7 seasons.  Imagine how much pressure that will take off the other 4 guys on the court knowing the center can score.  And both Shaq and JON play above average defense.

We'll find a way to play pick and roll defense with Shaq on the court.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salado. Show Salado's posts

Just read this little stat "LeBron with Shaq last year: Cavs +3.4 pts per 100 possession. LeBron without Shaq? +15.7 per 100 possessions" - I guess given the choices, Shaq is a good signing. I just don't think it will work.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Shaq will be a reserve with the C's. This will be particularly true when Perk is back.  They can be very selective when they use him with Perk on the squad. So one main reason he can work with the C's is the rotation.  I think Doc is just about a thousand times better coach than Mike Brown, including maintaining a good rotation. Second the C's are a lot better defensive team than the Cav's were.  Third he's the best reserve available.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

It's so funny to see the La La troll set spewing this wishful stuff...and DA isn't even done yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Laker trolls realize that the one area that they dominated us in was rebounding.  With Shaq's signing, even at 38, they no longer have that advantage and they now know they are in trouble.

With Shaq and JON (and Perk) next June, the Lakers no longer have that significant height advantage that they used so well to their advantage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from thrombosis. Show thrombosis's posts

Greenkiller's rant fails to recognize that his Faker's weezed over the finish line by a measely four points at home in a 7 game series.  And that agaisnt a "Jurassic" team that actually had to pay for their oldsters that came from other teams.  If that game seven was an attempt at revenge for having the Faker's face held down in the potty, while it was repeatedly flushed to the tune of near 40 points in 2008 game 6, then the Fakers failed mightily. Vegas says the Fakers will fail to defend agiwn this year-- the shortest period of time a champion has ever been respected as the best.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Shaq gives the C's a big man that can rebound and Score. Perk can rebound and be a defensive presence, but Shaq can also score. This was a great signing.

Gives the C's flexibility and size up front.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

FT shooting is of no concern, perk was just as bad, Jermaine O'Neal will close games

pick and role D is the biggest issue

hopefully Shaq's ability to grab boards better than Perk (3" taller) and superior ability to score inside (size again, softer hands, better feel for the game/IQ) will offset this

He is an 18m per game player

Hopefully he plays all 18 of his mins w/ KG, who will be healthier than at any point in 2 years an back to being an elite roaming defender

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green:
    [QUOTE]Just read this little stat "LeBron with Shaq last year: Cavs +3.4 pts per 100 possession. LeBron without Shaq? +15.7 per 100 possessions" - I guess given the choices, Shaq is a good signing. I just don't think it will work.
    Posted by Salado[/QUOTE]

you know, i think that's more a reflection on lebron than anything else.  shaq clogged the middle in LA and miami and won the cup in both places- d-wade and kobe didn't have ANY trouble getting their business done with the big cheeseburger in the lane.

so for lebron, who is bigger (by 50 pounds!!@@#@#) and taller than either of those two guys to come up THAT SHORT with a shaq in the lineup makes no sense.  i look for the explanation to be something with lebron.

lebron, or 'bronnie' as i call him, after all did QUIT on his team in the playoffs in at least two games that i saw and now gilbert says it was parts or most of 4 out of 6.  shaq is what he is but he's never been a quitter. 

and i would actually listen with great interest whenever shaq decides to share his thoughts on lebron as a player and man....... i'm sure there are some interesting insights- and i'm talking within the realm of truth and not 'entertainment value' or clowning around. 

======

for all o' you guys who think perkins is going to come back and take over the starting position in the same old role, i think you're nuts.  he was barely passable as an untalented bruiser with two good wheels. 

at times he was a coat of paint away from being the subject of nightmares for many of us.  prior to his knee injury he turned in some of the rottenest rebounding performances i can remember... how's he going to be now??

i would be very astonished if the c's rushed him back as a starter unless he proved that he had the mobility to do so.  and even then among the 3 choices on the roster, he's still the worst player even if he's 100%.  he may be good for a 12 minute phantom starter at best....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i'd like to amend my above post- perhaps shaq did quit in miami, but they were nowhere near close to contending.  fat twon barely held down the 4 for that championship run and if i'm not mistaken, that team had some considerable issues when he was traded out of town.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salado. Show Salado's posts

aciemvp - those are valid points you bring up...but do you really think it was all a Lebron issue? Maybe Lebron is not what everyone thought he was, but he is still one of the top 5 players in the leage. I just cannot get over how drastically different the numbers are. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a good signing, I just don't think he will have the huge impact every Celts fan is hoping for.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I think Salado may be a Cavs fan

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salado. Show Salado's posts

[QUOTE]I think Salado may be a Cavs fan
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Nope try again...just giving an opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

I'm not worried, the nba gives him about 5 seconds plus in the paint, and their will be no difference now. With Rondo feeding him the rock, he is a huge target now in the paint. He adds something the celtics haven't ever had, and that is a true dominant center both offensively, and defensively. Perk, well, it's perk! He is still a kid, and he (which is why i'm also excited) will benefit from now being under shaqs wing for the next two years.

They've also added big man depth this offseason, and have upgraded. It doesn't matter how old, shaq can still put up the #s, and seeing Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Rondo, and Shaquille O' neal on the floor together. 4 guaranteed hall of famers! It's unreal. Don't let their age fool you, thats just experience, and together they will be the miami blockade, if miami even makes the playoff.

Just think, substituting Shaq for Perk, takes away any double teams. That's a major up to this deal. One on one with 4 of the greatest to play the game? Let it begin....

BEAT LA

BEAT LA

BEAT LA

But it will be a great season to watch as well!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hippocrates. Show Hippocrates's posts

ERR..Rondo's a starter. Shaq's a bench player. More than likely they'd have Garnett/J. O'Neal on the floor at the end of games b/c they can both guard the pick-and-roll and have outside shots. You're worrying about an unlikely scenario.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]aciemvp - those are valid points you bring up...but do you really think it was all a Lebron issue? Maybe Lebron is not what everyone thought he was, but he is still one of the top 5 players in the leage. I just cannot get over how drastically different the numbers are. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a good signing, I just don't think he will have the huge impact every Celts fan is hoping for.
    Posted by Salado[/QUOTE]

yah.  well, we don't need to have a huge impact out of shaq.  just a back up 5.

i think it was all a lebron issue.  lebron is a top 2 physical talent in the league and  a bottom of the barrel quality person.  so one reduces the other to a quitter who then throws a circus in the off season regarding his contract decision.  classy, eh?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green : you know, i think that's more a reflection on lebron than anything else.  shaq clogged the middle in LA and miami and won the cup in both places- d-wade and kobe didn't have ANY trouble getting their business done with the big cheeseburger in the lane. so for lebron , who is bigger (by 50 pounds!!@@#@#) and taller than either of those two guys to come up THAT SHORT with a shaq in the lineup makes no sense.  i look for the explanation to be something with lebron . lebron , or 'bronnie' as i call him, after all did QUIT on his team in the playoffs in at least two games that i saw and now gilbert says it was parts or most of 4 out of 6.  shaq is what he is but he's never been a quitter.  and i would actually listen with great interest whenever shaq decides to share his thoughts on lebron as a player and man....... i'm sure there are some interesting insights- and i'm talking within the realm of truth and not 'entertainment value' or clowning around.  ====== for all o' you guys who think perkins is going to come back and take over the starting position in the same old role, i think you're nuts.  he was barely passable as an untalented bruiser with two good wheels.  at times he was a coat of paint away from being the subject of nightmares for many of us.  prior to his knee injury he turned in some of the rottenest rebounding performances i can remember... how's he going to be now?? i would be very astonished if the c's rushed him back as a starter unless he proved that he had the mobility to do so.  and even then among the 3 choices on the roster, he's still the worst player even if he's 100%.  he may be good for a 12 minute phantom starter at best....
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Love your post.

This just may give Perk a chance to really recover from what ails him and it's more than just that knee.

At the beginning of last season Perk played very well and was being touted as an elite big man around the league, but his 2nd half really socked, and I think he was hurting and playing through a lot of pain. He lost his lift, he lost his touch, he lost a lot of things down the stretch.  Disclaimer:  I'm a big Perk fan.  Perk's a Beast!

But I too wait with baited breath for some gem out of the mouth of the Jolly Green Giant Leprechaun.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green : He's a quitter and has no heart. That's why I dubbed him King Nothing 3 years ago.
    Posted by DFURY13[/QUOTE]

Queen James who can take no blame

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green:
    [QUOTE]ok so this is what bothers me about this deal.  you already have an awful free throw shooter on this team in Rondo.  I do not like this move as Shaq is even worse the RR so at the end of the game how could you have these 2 on the court.  We will need Shaq on the d-end of the court while Perk is out.  I have a bad feeling we will see a hack a Shaq approach with him and Rondo both on the court.  Also, with this signing i feel like using the whole MLE on the JON was a waist.  When Perk comes back where does it put him on the depth chart of bigs? What do you guys think about issues like this.  The rest of the posts on here today has everyone all of a sudden being a huge shaq fan.
    Posted by bostondynNASTY[/QUOTE

"when perk comes back..."...........dude get real , perk ain't coming back next year...he has a very serious injury that will require an entire year off...SHAQS  signing is just what we needed...kg can also play the CENTER position when needed....and everyone needs to understand that  SHEED is done , too....his lower back is killing him...perhaps one day we will learn the precise nature of his injury.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

[QUOTE]Shaq works in green all day long.  This is a win-win situation for the Celtics.  We got Shaq for the veteran's minimum.  Like NineSevenEight says, Shaq's willingness to accept the vet minimum means he's ok to playing the role of a backup.  Even at 38, when the playoffs start, he will be a force. Shaq provides so much of what the Celtics lacked last year.  To think the Celtics were so close to a ring.  If the Celtics rebounded better in game 7, I truly believe we'd be champions.  Shaq's signing solves that HUGE problem.  JON also fills that void. We haven't had scoring from the center position in 7 seasons.  Imagine how much pressure that will take off the other 4 guys on the court knowing the center can score.  And both Shaq and JON play above average defense. We'll find a way to play pick and roll defense with Shaq on the court.
    Posted by Petey62[/QUOTE]

dude , with SHAQ you play p&r the "old days" way....first time they run it , SHAQ comes out and knocks the fool coming off the pick on his AAAZZZZ.....&......the 2d time SHAQ knocks him on his AAAZZZZ.....message sent.....no mo p&r's against SHAQ.....

it works on the "play-ground"....it will work in the nba .....do we remember how the "MCNASTY-PISTONS" handled the p&r...ask Michael Jordan...they knocked MJ on his AAAAZZZZ each & everytime.....IT WORKS........ 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]At the beginning of last season Perk played very well and was being touted as an elite big man around the league, but his 2nd half really socked, and I think he was hurting and playing through a lot of pain. Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

YES, Perkins looked superb the first half of last season.  he was 13.x and almost 10 rebounds a game with great efficiencies and nice shot blocking too, and then the wheels fell off the cart after the all star break.  Now that you just reminded me of that- I wonder if it wasn't the shoulder injury again. 

I have heard from multiple sources that there is nothing to be done with the shoulder to correct it and it's going to be a career long issue with Perkins.  That does not bode well with him. 

If whatever dragged him down into being a no handed rick robey clone the second half of last year was NOT his shoulder then that bodes even worse for his comeback..... 

sadly, we have probably seen the last of perkins as a viable starter unless he comes back with the shoulder cured and the same mobility as before, which was just enough.  Imagine him dragging slower legs out on those moving screens...  I can't even do it, my head hurts.