Why the Celtics are not tough

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Why the Celtics are not tough

Kendrick Perkins, Leon Powe, James Posey, Tony Allen, Rasheed Wallace, Bill Walker. These are all guys with the same type of mentality. They were enforcers, key members in any championship team. They are the players that deny easy baskets-make an offensive player think twice before trying to shoot against them.
    In Perkins, Boston had a guy who would shut down Dwight Howard.
    In Tony Allen, Boston had a guy who could shut down opposing teams best 2/3.
    We all saw how Sheed scared the hell out of Gasol.
    Walker had potential, it's sad to say but we all saw how he completely humiliated JON.
    Like Allen, Posey would shut down opposing teams 2/3.

The reason why Boston is not tough...all these guys are gone!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Why the Celtics are not tough

Rondo is the only player Boston has that still has this mentality. KG also, but he has gotten old and I don't believe that he ever fully (mentally) recovered from his knee injury. Rondo is it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

You did not mention Delonte who Doc traded for Dooling. You are spot on, KG without his wing man (Perk) shrinks from the fray but with him is a tiger.  Look, when Wade f'd up Rondo last year and there was no response; hard fouls used to be what the Celtics do; now we are the league's punching bag.  And, Stiemsma absolutely protects the rim and blocks shots and runs guys over doing so, and Doc sits him down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Celtics are not tough:
    [QUOTE]You did not mention Delonte who Doc traded for Dooling. You are spot on, KG without his wing man (Perk) shrinks from the fray but with him is a tiger.  Look, when Wade f'd up Rondo last year and there was no response; hard fouls used to be what the Celtics do; now we are the league's punching bag.  And, Stiemsma absolutely protects the rim and blocks shots and runs guys over doing so, and Doc sits him down.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

Agree,  Stiemsa needs more playing time.  We could really use Tony Allen and Delonte this year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

And Baby. Yes, good trade for Bass, who can fill it, offensively. But Baby was T-O-U-G-H on the court defensively (soft off it, yes, another Doc flush job to get rid of the "immaturity"). Have yet to see Bass rotate in time on help defense. He did get some O boards in the fourth quarter, which I liked to see, but defensively he's leaky.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I think Ainge is trying to make this team in the mold of one of the loser teams he's coached and played for. (Excluding the Celtics of course)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Why the Celtics are not tough:
    [QUOTE]Kendrick Perkins, Leon Powe, James Posey, Tony Allen, Rasheed Wallace, Bill Walker. These are all guys with the same type of mentality. They were enforcers, key members in any championship team. They are the players that deny easy baskets-make an offensive player think twice before trying to shoot against them. In Perkins, Boston had a guy who would shut down Dwight Howard. In Tony Allen, Boston had a guy who could shut down opposing teams best 2/3. We all saw how Sheed scared the hell out of Gasol. Walker had potential, it's sad to say but we all saw how he completely humiliated JON. Like Allen, Posey would shut down opposing teams 2/3. The reason why Boston is not tough...all these guys are gone!!
    Posted by guyfromtex[/QUOTE]

Great minds think alike. I did not see this thread before my latest thread.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

I will agree that we might not be that tough, but I think Van Gundy was right about the real problem. The Celtics are too slow to the ball. Kevin Garnett, Pierce, and Jermaine just do not have quick enough reaction time. Ray Allen is timeless and still quite good, but also does not have the explosive reaction time to the ball anymore. Rondo is extremely quick to the ball.

When the Celtics cameback against the Bulls you knew they would not win it. It takes so much energy to comeback from a 20 point defecit. They gave it their best, but with their ages there probably was nothing left. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Everyone is giving it their all. I have no doubt. They just can't handle the demands of a season like this one. We need to just get into the playoffs this season with the Big 4 FRESH.

Which means playing ALL of the OTHER guys.

Pierce and JO need to shut it down untill they are 100% ready to play their best.

Maybe KG too.

Our opponents will play down to our level ( with KG,PIERCE and JO on the bench in suits) and maybe we can steal a few games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

In Response to Why the Celtics are not tough:
    [QUOTE]Kendrick Perkins, Leon Powe, James Posey, Tony Allen, Rasheed Wallace, Bill Walker. These are all guys with the same type of mentality. They were enforcers, key members in any championship team. They are the players that deny easy baskets-make an offensive player think twice before trying to shoot against them. In Perkins, Boston had a guy who would shut down Dwight Howard. In Tony Allen, Boston had a guy who could shut down opposing teams best 2/3. We all saw how Sheed scared the hell out of Gasol. Walker had potential, it's sad to say but we all saw how he completely humiliated JON. Like Allen, Posey would shut down opposing teams 2/3. The reason why Boston is not tough...all these guys are gone!!
    Posted by guyfromtex[/QUOTE]

AGREED....AND LOOK AROUND THE LEAGUE FOR REPLACEMENTS...

THEY CANNOT BE FOUND...LOOK HOW MANY C'S HAD TOGETHER

AT ONE TIME...FOLKS ON THIS BOARD SHOWED LITTLE RESPECT FOR

THIS... QUALITY INTANGIBLE...SIMPLY BECAUSE THOSE DUDES LACKED

OTHER NOTABLE SKILL SETS ON A CONSISTENT BASIS...

YOU CANNOT TEACH TOUGHNESS...EITHER YOU HAVE  IT OR YOU DON'T

THE C'S AS PRESENTLY CONSTITUTED ...DO NOT HAVE IT WITH THE DUDES

NOW PLAYING.....GIVE STEAMER....MOORE.....&...JOHNSON SOME 

MINUTES TO SEE IF THEY'VE GOT IT.....BASS & PIETRUS BOTH HAVE IT... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Celtics are not tough:
    [QUOTE]You did not mention Delonte who Doc traded for Dooling. You are spot on, KG without his wing man (Perk) shrinks from the fray but with him is a tiger.  Look, when Wade f'd up Rondo last year and there was no response; hard fouls used to be what the Celtics do; now we are the league's punching bag.  And, Stiemsma absolutely protects the rim and blocks shots and runs guys over doing so, and Doc sits him down.
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]
    I can't believe that I forgot about DWest. He certainly fit the mold.