Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IanJB. Show IanJB's posts

Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers

Over the last four or five years, there has been a not-so-quiet trade secret among title contenders: Size. With the elimination of hand-checking and the ever increasing frequency of ticky-tacky calls in the paint on driving offensive players, having a big man that can provide a presence inside the defensive paint has been a trump card great teams can play. The Celtics knew it and held on to Kendrick Perkins like a pot of gold. He helped them get out of the east and guard the best center in the game, but more importantly he helped ebb the inevitable tide that is the L.A. Laker front court. The best front court in the game.

Out in the west meanwhile, not many teams have been able to ride the waves of the L.A. big man for the last decade or so. The Spurs and Tim Duncan, the Mavs and Nowitzki (except in the playoffs) are the only teams that really come to mind.  However, Danny Ainge changed all of that when he shipped Kendrick Perkins to the best emerging team in the last 3 years, the Oklahoma City Thunder.

I'm going to stop here and say that I am a Celtics fan through and through. Born and raised in Boston, I bleed green. However, I am also a young, avid NBA fan and have been watching the Thunder for the last 2 years pretty regularly. Kevin Durant is my favorite player and they are the most fun team in the league to watch (in my opinion). Last year, OKC took L.A., the defending champions, to a shocking 6 game series that was one Pau Gasol put back from going to Game 7. What's that? A big man impacted the most important play of the most important game for OKC? Hmm...

This year OKC has all the pieces it needs to come out of the west. Two dynamic All Stars. A player that can create his own shot any trip down the floor. A harsh, us against them team mentality. A desire to play solid team defense. Watching this team after the trade is like seeing the Celtics enter the playoffs. They look rejuvinated. They have seen perk's ring and heard his tales. They want revenge on the Lakers and to prove those picking the Nuggets (the NUGGETS?? Aaron Affla-who?) in the first round wrong. But most importantly, they now have the key to defeating the great teams of the last decade: a one on one big man that solves problems no amount of effort or planning can. The same key that Boston had taken advantage of and traded for Jeff Geen and Nenad Krstic (but thats a topic that has been beaten to death).

Even if this year isn't the year, OKC is going to make a large impact on the West in the coming years now that they have all the tools required to beat L.A (did anyone watch James Harden play defense on Kobe this year?) and one of the top 5 best players in the league. Watch out, West.

Go Celtics! I'll be at game 2!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers

It will be interesting to see how Perkins will factor into a Lakers-Thunder series. You know the Lakers weren't happy that DA sent Perk to a western conference contender.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers:
    [QUOTE]Over the last four or five years, there has been a not-so-quiet trade secret among title contenders: Size. With the elimination of hand-checking and the ever increasing frequency of ticky-tacky calls in the paint on driving offensive players, having a big man that can provide a presence inside the defensive paint has been a trump card great teams can play. The Celtics knew it and held on to Kendrick Perkins like a pot of gold. He helped them get out of the east and guard the best center in the game, but more importantly he helped ebb the inevitable tide that is the L.A. Laker front court. The best front court in the game. Out in the west meanwhile, not many teams have been able to ride the waves of the L.A. big man for the last decade or so. The Spurs and Tim Duncan, the Mavs and Nowitzki (except in the playoffs) are the only teams that really come to mind.  However, Danny Ainge changed all of that when he shipped Kendrick Perkins to the best emerging team in the last 3 years, the Oklahoma City Thunder. I'm going to stop here and say that I am a Celtics fan through and through. Born and raised in Boston, I bleed green. However, I am also a young, avid NBA fan and have been watching the Thunder for the last 2 years pretty regularly. Kevin Durant is my favorite player and they are the most fun team in the league to watch (in my opinion). Last year, OKC took L.A., the defending champions, to a shocking 6 game series that was one Pau Gasol put back from going to Game 7. What's that? A big man impacted the most important play of the most important game for OKC? Hmm... This year OKC has all the pieces it needs to come out of the west. Two dynamic All Stars. A player that can create his own shot any trip down the floor. A harsh, us against them team mentality. A desire to play solid team defense. Watching this team after the trade is like seeing the Celtics enter the playoffs. They look rejuvinated. They have seen perk's ring and heard his tales. They want revenge on the Lakers and to prove those picking the Nuggets (the NUGGETS?? Aaron Affla-who?) in the first round wrong. But most importantly, they now have the key to defeating the great teams of the last decade: a one on one big man that solves problems no amount of effort or planning can. The same key that Boston had taken advantage of and traded for Jeff Geen and Nenad Krstic (but thats a topic that has been beaten to death). Even if this year isn't the year, OKC is going to make a large impact on the West in the coming years now that they have all the tools required to beat L.A (did anyone watch James Harden play defense on Kobe this year?) and one of the top 5 best players in the league. Watch out, West. Go Celtics! I'll be at game 2!
    Posted by IanJB[/QUOTE]

Appreciated your post but it just doesnt make any sense to me.

IF Perk is OKC's solution to the Laker front court, why wasnt Perk the solution last year for the Celtics?? Perk got abused and the Laker front court was the reason we lost the NBA title (that and the refs)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Agree with you about Kevin Durant.  He is my favorite player in the NBA.  I agree that Oklahoma City will be a better team with Perk. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IanJB. Show IanJB's posts

"IF Perk is OKC's solution to the Laker front court, why wasnt Perk the solution last year for the Celtics?? Perk got abused and the Laker front court was the reason we lost the NBA title (that and the refs)
    "

Um, Perk is the solution to the Laker front court. He was injured for game 7, and helped the Celtics get to the finals and bring L.A. to 7 games. They only lost when he was out.

EDIT: Okay, what I said isn't true. Obviously they lost some games with Perk on the floor but if you're saying he wasn't an extremely valuable asset to use during that series then you weren't watching the games. The difference between the other games in L.A. and game 7 is astonishing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NaturesCamo. Show NaturesCamo's posts

Yeah those are excellent points. With the experience Perk has in the playoffs and the leadership abilities he carries, OKC is a serious threat this year. They are a blast to watch and the playoffs will be very interesting to watch unfold. I've always liked Perk so i will be rooting for OKC a little, at least on the inside haha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NaturesCamo. Show NaturesCamo's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers:
    [QUOTE]"IF Perk is OKC's solution to the Laker front court, why wasnt Perk the solution last year for the Celtics?? Perk got abused and the Laker front court was the reason we lost the NBA title (that and the refs) " Um, Perk is the solution to the Laker front court. He was injured for game 7, and helped the Celtics get to the finals and bring L.A. to 7 games. They only lost when he was out. EDIT: Okay, what I said isn't true. Obviously they lost some games with Perk on the floor but if you're saying he wasn't an extremely valuable asset to use during that series then you weren't watching the games. The difference between the other games in L.A. and game 7 is astonishing.
    Posted by IanJB[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't say Perk is the solution. Just because OKC has Perk doesn't mean they're gaurenteed to beat LA, but he was very valuable for the Celtics in the playoffs and OKC will have a much better chance with a guy like Perk in the paint.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]"IF Perk is OKC's solution to the Laker front court, why wasnt Perk the solution last year for the Celtics?? Perk got abused and the Laker front court was the reason we lost the NBA title (that and the refs) " Um, Perk is the solution to the Laker front court. He was injured for game 7, and helped the Celtics get to the finals and bring L.A. to 7 games. They only lost when he was out. EDIT: Okay, what I said isn't true. Obviously they lost some games with Perk on the floor but if you're saying he wasn't an extremely valuable asset to use during that series then you weren't watching the games. The difference between the other games in L.A. and game 7 is astonishing.
    Posted by IanJB[/QUOTE]

Perk was one of the reasons we struggled against the Lakers, not one of the reasons we almost won the title. What games were you watching?

Both Gasol & Bynum played volleyball with rebounds  and putbacks...and dominated the paint. DOMINATED!!

Where was the OKC solution Perk? He was getting outplayed...clearly.. This is not personal, it is factual. The Laker bigs were the difference in the series and Perk was not very effective against them.

The  point youve tried to  make  is shifting... first it was Perk is the solution to the Lakers, then it morphed into Perk helped the C's get to the finals..LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IanJB. Show IanJB's posts

"The  point youve tried to  make  is shifting... first it was Perk is the solution to the Lakers, then it morphed into Perk helped the C's get to the finals..LOL"

These two points that I have made stem from the same idea: Kendrick Perkins is an effective tool against teams with large front courts.

How many rebounds did Pau get in game 7? How well can Big Baby guard Andrew Bynum? Do you really believe Krstic or J/O can man up against Superman for an entire series?

Pau Gasol Rebounds, 2010 NBA Finals
    Game 1: 14
    Game 2: 8
    Game 3: 10
    Game 4: 6
    Game 5: 12
    Game 6: 13 (Perk Injured)
    Game 7: 18 + 15 from Kobe. (Perk Out)

Only time will tell, I guess.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]"The  point youve tried to  make  is shifting... first it was Perk is the solution to the Lakers, then it morphed into Perk helped the C's get to the finals..LOL" These two points that I have made stem from the same idea: Kendrick Perkins is an effective tool against teams with large front courts. How many rebounds did Pau get in game 7? How well can Big Baby guard Andrew Bynum? Do you really believe Krstic or J/O can man up against Superman for an entire series? Pau Gasol Rebounds, 2010 NBA Finals Game 1: 14 Game 2: 8 Game 3: 10 Game 4: 6 Game 5: 12 Game 6: 13 (Perk Injured) Game 7:  18 + 15 from Kobe. (Perk Out) Only time will tell, I guess.
    Posted by IanJB[/QUOTE]

Seriously, try to understand a few basics. First is Gasol is the Lakers PF and Perk is a Center.  Also, Gasol grabbed 5 more boards in game 7 than game 6...and game 7 was in OT.

Kobes rebounding is a function of Perk too? LOL

Take a look at Gasols season averages for boards and compare to the Celtic Series. 

Now back to reality, Perks primary responsibility was an injured Bynum/

Eh, ya know what, I can see this is going absolutely nowhere. Bringing up facts just clouds the issue for you. Instead you resort to pointing out how a Laker guard got alot of boards as your answer.

Bottom line is Perk was not effective against the Lakers...they won the matchup hands down. Perk was not the "solution" to the Lakers bigs. No matter how true this statement may be, you will never see it... so why bother

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

No point in arguing Karllost. You are absolutely right and the facts agree with you. Facts are always more accurate then reputations. You will never be able to convince these people. Just having someone match up Perk with Gasol instead of Bynum shows you what we are dealing with. Perk in essence is just too small to guard either one of them. At 6 10 he gives up size and length.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]No point in arguing Karllost. You are absolutely right and the facts agree with you. Facts are always more accurate then reputations. You will never be able to convince these people. Just having someone match up Perk with Gasol instead of Bynum shows you what we are dealing with. Perk in essence is just too small to guard either one of them. At 6 10 he gives up size and length.
    Posted by calvinator[/QUOTE]

Thank you for some sanity.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

The truth is Bynum's injury effected him more and more as the finals wore on, and his numbers reflected that. When he was at his healthiest at the start of the series he dominated with or without Perk. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IanJB. Show IanJB's posts

"Perk in essence is just too small to guard either one of them. At 6 10 he gives up size and length."

I disagree with everything about this.

If you think having Perk on the floor doesn't affect Pau's rebounds, then we'll have to agree to disagree. Just because they don't always play the same position doesn't mean that they have no effect on eachother. That's absurd. I also don't know what 'facts' you are referring to. The fact that the Celtics lost to the Lakers? That's it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

[QUOTE]"Perk in essence is just too small to guard either one of them. At 6 10 he gives up size and length." I disagree with everything about this. If you think having Perk on the floor doesn't affect Pau's rebounds, then we'll have to agree to disagree. Just because they don't always play the same position doesn't mean that they have no effect on eachother. That's absurd. I also don't know what 'facts' you are referring to. The fact that the Celtics lost to the Lakers? That's it?
    Posted by IanJB[/QUOTE]

Its not hating on Perk. It is just that he is 6 10 and Gasol and Bynum are both 7 footers. They also have longer wing spans. Believe me I would root for anyone against those two but it is what it is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

My observations from last year's Finals was that Sheed played better defense on Gasol than Perk.  Perk is great against players like Howard or Shaq, players who rely on bulk and muscle, but he was not a good match for the Laker's length.  Granted he still does a better defensice job than most centers could but I wouldn't call him a defensive ace against players with great length.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]"Perk in essence is just too small to guard either one of them. At 6 10 he gives up size and length." I disagree with everything about this. If you think having Perk on the floor doesn't affect Pau's rebounds, then we'll have to agree to disagree. Just because they don't always play the same position doesn't mean that they have no effect on eachother. That's absurd. I also don't know what 'facts' you are referring to. The fact that the Celtics lost to the Lakers? That's it?
    Posted by IanJB[/QUOTE]

Youre taking another HUGE LEAP here... asking if Perk has an effect on Gasols rebounding isnt the point you were trying to make on this thread. You were saying implying at the least that Perk is the missing link that cant stop the dominance of the Laker bigs..

and the facts still remain...Perk didnt stop anybody in the finals last year... the Laker bigs pretty had their way and were the most responsible for winning the title...and this was against a hobbled, not playing the full game Bynum.

Believe me, Im the farthest thing from a Laker fan but Im not gonna wear blinders and buy into this fantasy so many are having about how great Perk is.

If OKC got D Howard, it'd make sense the Lkaers bigs are in for trouble but not Perk... thats a joke and track record supports it

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

If Perk winds up dominating a series against the Lakers... it still doesnt change anything.

It means Perk found another gear or whatever but no reasonable, basketball savvy observer  can come away from the 2010 finals feeling Perk stopped or even came close to neutralizing the Laker bigs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Seriously, try to understand a few basics. First is Gasol is the Lakers PF and Perk is a Center.  Also, Gasol grabbed 5 more boards in game 7 than game 6...and game 7 was in OT. Kobes rebounding is a function of Perk too? LOL Take a look at Gasols season averages for boards and compare to the Celtic Series.  Now back to reality, Perks primary responsibility was an injured Bynum/ Eh, ya know what, I can see this is going absolutely nowhere. Bringing up facts just clouds the issue for you. Instead you resort to pointing out how a Laker guard got alot of boards as your answer. Bottom line is Perk was not effective against the Lakers...they won the matchup hands down. Perk was not the "solution" to the Lakers bigs. No matter how true this statement may be, you will never see it... so why bother
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Could not agree more.  Bynum at less than 50% had 21 points, 14 boards, and 7 blocks in game 1 and went down hill from there because he was hurt.

Perk was his normal overrated defense gigantic liability on offense self during the playoffs ummmmm career.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Youre taking another HUGE LEAP here... asking if Perk has an effect on Gasols rebounding isnt the point you were trying to make on this thread. You were saying implying at the least that Perk is the missing link that cant stop the dominance of the Laker bigs.. and the facts still remain...Perk didnt stop anybody in the finals last year... the Laker bigs pretty had their way and were the most responsible for winning the title...and this was against a hobbled, not playing the full game Bynum. Believe me, Im the farthest thing from a Laker fan but Im not gonna wear blinders and buy into this fantasy so many are having about how great Perk is. If OKC got D Howard, it'd make sense the Lkaers bigs are in for trouble but not Perk... thats a joke and track record supports it
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

You are wrong. I'm sorry, but you are. the rebounding and dominance in the paint you speak of happened more in game 7 than any other game. Why is that? Perk wasn't there. Perk helps neutralize some of the Laker size advantage. 

It is no coincidence that the Thunder were 19-3 with Perk in the linueup. He gave them a huge upgrade at Center. Now don't get me wrong he is not as good as bynum, but he lessons the advantage the Lakers had over them with Bynum. Perk is strong enough to make things far more difficult on Bynum than Nenad krystic ever did. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Could not agree more.  Bynum at less than 50% had 21 points, 14 boards, and 7 blocks in game 1 and went down hill from there because he was hurt. Perk was his normal overrated defense gigantic liability on offense self during the playoffs ummmmm career.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Celtics after perk trade: 9-10

thunder after perk trade: 18-4. Including first win in L.A. in forever. 

Obviously their is more to basketball than being an offensive force. Bynum had an excellent game one against perk, but the Lakers barely managed to squaek out a victory in the last 5 minutes of game 7. The only reason it wasn't a complete blowout prior to that when the Celtics were up 15, was because of the lakers dominece on the glass. Are you serisouly contending our best rebounder wouldn't have made a difference, wouldn't have perchance snagged a few of those rebounds that kept the lead under 20 points for L.A.? 

Perk is not a great center, but he was a good one.  An excellent defender, a solid rebounder, he may be the missing piece the Thunder need.

I mean come on, do you really think the Thunder Would rather have nenad Krystic guarding Bynum? This year?  no seriously. Do you think they are better off on the glass with Krystic brining those 4.7 rebounds per game to a laker series? Think that is going to help them control the glass? 

Perkins doesn't have to out play Bynum. He has to play him better than krystic. He also has to set better picks on artest than Krystic did to free up kevin Durant. He has to be someone that makes Laker players a little more wary of driving than paint than Krystic did.  He does all of that and that is why the Thunder are now a serous threat to the Lakers. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]I. Perk was his normal overrated defense gigantic liability on offense self during the playoffs ummmmm career.

Hmm, this is one those dilenmas where I choose between trusting your judgement on defensive ability or the judgement of Tom Thibadeau, who said Perkins and Garnett were the best defensive big man tandem he had ever seen. 

This is one of those situations. Where the defensive stats say Perk was one of the best defensive centers in the game and you (based on whatever invisible criteria you use) say he wasn't.

Now, I guess, one can listen to you over Thibs one of the truly great defensive coaches in the game, Or one could take your opinion based on whatever subjective criteria you use over defensive statistics. I am not such a one. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Celtics after perk trade: 9-10 thunder after perk trade: 18-4. Including first win in L.A. in forever.  Obviously their is more to basketball than being an offensive force. Bynum had an excellent game one against perk, but the Lakers barely managed to squaek out a victory in the last 5 minutes of game 7. The only reason it wasn't a complete blowout prior to that when the Celtics were up 15, was because of the lakers dominece on the glass. Are you serisouly contending our best rebounder wouldn't have made a difference, wouldn't have perchance snagged a few of those rebounds that kept the lead under 20 points for L.A.?  Perk is not a great center, but he was a good one.  An excellent defender, a solid rebounder, he may be the missing piece the Thunder need. I mean come on, do you really think the Thunder Would rather have nenad Krystic guarding Bynum? This year?  no seriously. Do you think they are better off on the glass with Krystic brining those 4.7 rebounds per game to a laker series? Think that is going to help them control the glass?  Perkins doesn't have to out play Bynum. He has to play him better than krystic. He also has to set better picks on artest than Krystic did to free up kevin Durant. He has to be someone that makes Laker players a little more wary of driving than paint than Krystic did.  He does all of that and that is why the Thunder are now a serous threat to the Lakers. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

The legend grows is all I can say - Kendrick Kareem Patrick Hakeem Dwight Bill Perkins.  If Rondo made or even took any of the 50 or so uncontested routine jumpers he was gifted then the Cs win the series and we would not have to hear about the Lakers length for the next 10 months. 

I don't really care if Perk this or if Krstic that.  Perk is gone and Krstic is here.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

I think we can all agree that Perk is going to be a factor in a series against the Lakers. The question is whether or not it is enough for OKC to get past them.

I think the Finals last year was a bad comparison in terms of the impact that Perk had or didn't have simply because of KG's health. I for one am not convinced that the Celtics would have won Game 7 had Perkins played. The real issue IMO was KG being unable to guard Gasol due to his knee.

I think there is real doubt as to the outcome of an OKC-LAL series now. The Perkins trade was something the Lakers did not want to happen. So from that perspective, Perkins is still a Celtic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : The legend grows is all I can say - Kendrick Kareem Patrick Hakeem Dwight Bill Perkins.  If Rondo made or even took any of the 50 or so uncontested routine jumpers he was gifted then the Cs win the series and we would not have to hear about the Lakers length for the next 10 months.  I don't really care if Perk this or if Krstic that.  Perk is gone and Krstic is here.

and Perk is better. Luckily we have shaq and jermaine O'neil so hopefully this a win-win situation where the Thunder and celtics improve. Oh and, without Rondo, it would have been Celveland and the Lakers inthe finals. you always seem to forget that little nugget.