Wilbon on the NBA fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Wilbon on the NBA fans

Great back and forth tonight on Around the Horn and PTI regarding Kareem's blog....everyone agreed that the fans only remember what they have seen recently.....Wilbon put it best....."why are fans talking about the NBA like it started in 1985...? .....lets all go back and remember what a great league it was some 25-30 years earlier" (I am paraphrasing....but that was the general consensus from 8 sportswriters....) .......I guess they are all just grumpy old men huh...?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans

In Response to Wilbon on the NBA fans:
    [QUOTE]Great back and forth tonight on Around the Horn and PTI regarding Kareem's blog....everyone agreed that the fans only remember what they have seen recently.....Wilbon put it best....."why are fans talking about the NBA like it started in 1985...? .....lets all go back and remember what a great league it was some 25-30 years earlier" (I am paraphrasing....but that was the general consensus from 8 sportswriters....) .......I guess they are all just grumpy old men huh...?
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Duke, I only have "basic" cable, which doesn't include ESPN here, but I can relate to Wilbon. Although he and Tony Kornheiser are younger than me, they apparently know much of the history of most of our pro leagues. And they're absolutely correct. Most of today's generation only know sports from what they've seen on ESPN. They haven't a clue of the great players that they've missed.

Dr. J (he was the original high flyer)
    Dominique Wilkins (the human highlight reel)
    Dick Butkus (there's a reason there's a trophy named after him)
    Jim Brown (not even Emmitt Smith compares to him...and this generation only knows him from "Dancing with the Stars")
    Reggie Jackson (he killed my Dodgers with his 3 homers in the World Series)
    Jack Lambert (the most feared defender on those 70's Steelers teams!)
    Roger Staubach (I hated him, but a great Cowboys QB)
    OJ Simpson (one of the greatest in college and the pros, BEFORE his legal problems)
    Earvin "Magic" Johnson (watch some of his matches with Larry Bird on ESPN Classic...truly amazing battles)

I can go on-and-on, but you get my point.

Before ESPN, there was only the major networks (CBS, ABC and NBC...sorry, there was no such thing as Fox Network!) for our highlights. Nowadays, everything good or bad is broadcast in a moments notice and seen over and over and over again. That's why so many of the "scandals" that we see (Tiger Woods, Jim Tressel, Reggie Bush, etc., etc.) are always fresh in our memories. Today's generation get to see highlights of "good" players (not GREAT players) over and over and they think these are the "elite" talents in their respective sports.

Well Duke, you know as well as I do that names like Gale Sayers and Lynn Swann are well deserving of their place in the Hall of Fame. It's a shame that today's generation haven't seen these atheletes in action.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans : You only have basic cable?  HAHAHA!!!
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, where I work and where I call my home are two different places. As I've said in the past, sports ISN'T the most important thing in my life. On the weekends, when I head home, I have ESPN and all the other channels. I'm in a much better position than MANY Americans in today's economic environment, so I feel very lucky. I'm sure there's a lot of people in your own area who wish they were able to have "basic" cable...but they probably feel that putting food on their tables is a lot more important.

Consider yourself lucky Sybil.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans : Unfortunately, where I work and where I call my home are two different places. As I've said in the past, sports ISN'T the most important thing in my life. On the weekends, when I head home, I have ESPN and all the other channels. I'm in a much better position than MANY Americans in today's economic environment, so I feel very lucky. I'm sure there's a lot of people in your own area who wish they were able to have "basic" cable...but they probably feel that putting food on their tables is a lot more important. Consider yourself lucky Sybil.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

you don't have to prove any of that to anyone here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Wilbon on the NBA fans : Duke, I only have "basic" cable, which doesn't include ESPN here, but I can relate to Wilbon. Although he and Tony Kornheiser are younger than me, they apparently know much of the history of most of our pro leagues. And they're absolutely correct. Most of today's generation only know sports from what they've seen on ESPN. They haven't a clue of the great players that they've missed. Dr. J (he was the original high flyer) Dominique Wilkins (the human highlight reel) Dick Butkus (there's a reason there's a trophy named after him) Jim Brown (not even Emmitt Smith compares to him...and this generation only knows him from "Dancing with the Stars") Reggie Jackson (he killed my Dodgers with his 3 homers in the World Series) Jack Lambert (the most feared defender on those 70's Steelers teams!) Roger Staubach (I hated him, but a great Cowboys QB) OJ Simpson (one of the greatest in college and the pros, BEFORE his legal problems) Earvin "Magic" Johnson (watch some of his matches with Larry Bird on ESPN Classic...truly amazing battles) I can go on-and-on, but you get my point. Before ESPN, there was only the major networks (CBS, ABC and NBC...sorry, there was no such thing as Fox Network!) for our highlights. Nowadays, everything good or bad is broadcast in a moments notice and seen over and over and over again. That's why so many of the "scandals" that we see (Tiger Woods, Jim Tressel, Reggie Bush, etc., etc.) are always fresh in our memories. Today's generation get to see highlights of "good" players (not GREAT players) over and over and they think these are the "elite" talents in their respective sports. Well Duke, you know as well as I do that names like Gale Sayers and Lynn Swann are well deserving of their place in the Hall of Fame. It's a shame that today's generation haven't seen these atheletes in action.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Daddy, I agree with everything you just wrote (imagine that....?  :-) .....you are spot on about all of the greats you mentioned....I still have the bad memory of Jackson's three homers.....also remember when he put his hip out so the baseball could hit him when he was running the bases (that totally turned that series around)...of course, I remember Bucky freakin Dent....and how the Dodgers blew it against the Jints in '62 (Alston just refused to bring in Big D).....memories...todays fans get highlights 24/7......big difference from when you and I were kids....

B

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Wilbon on the NBA fans : Duke, I only have "basic" cable, which doesn't include ESPN here, but I can relate to Wilbon. Although he and Tony Kornheiser are younger than me, they apparently know much of the history of most of our pro leagues. And they're absolutely correct. Most of today's generation only know sports from what they've seen on ESPN. They haven't a clue of the great players that they've missed. Dr. J (he was the original high flyer) Dominique Wilkins (the human highlight reel) Dick Butkus (there's a reason there's a trophy named after him) Jim Brown (not even Emmitt Smith compares to him...and this generation only knows him from "Dancing with the Stars") Reggie Jackson (he killed my Dodgers with his 3 homers in the World Series) Jack Lambert (the most feared defender on those 70's Steelers teams!) Roger Staubach (I hated him, but a great Cowboys QB) OJ Simpson (one of the greatest in college and the pros, BEFORE his legal problems) Earvin "Magic" Johnson (watch some of his matches with Larry Bird on ESPN Classic...truly amazing battles) I can go on-and-on, but you get my point. Before ESPN, there was only the major networks (CBS, ABC and NBC...sorry, there was no such thing as Fox Network!) for our highlights. Nowadays, everything good or bad is broadcast in a moments notice and seen over and over and over again. That's why so many of the "scandals" that we see (Tiger Woods, Jim Tressel, Reggie Bush, etc., etc.) are always fresh in our memories. Today's generation get to see highlights of "good" players (not GREAT players) over and over and they think these are the "elite" talents in their respective sports. Well Duke, you know as well as I do that names like Gale Sayers and Lynn Swann are well deserving of their place in the Hall of Fame. It's a shame that today's generation haven't seen these atheletes in action.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

Great post...

Jack Lambert would be a string bean playing middle linebacker today and most wouldnt take him as a serious player if he played today... but we know better (even though I hated the guy cause my team always been Da Rayda's))

SAme goes for Warfield, deacon Jones, Page, Yaz, Earl the Pearl, Big O and the rest... I guess our dad's can say the same thing about us... Its a shame, but understandable, that the longer time passes on, the less the players of years ago are remembered or revered. 

Its why I loved watching roudtables in the middle of the night with Deacon Jones and players of his time talk football...or Russell talk NBA etc.. Great memories and stories. that younger generations miss out on...

Then again, as they grow older, the same thing will happen with their heroes lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a7703f26a-4fa7-45ff-bf44-3270f4f97381&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:7703f26a-4fa7-45ff-bf44-3270f4f97381Post:88b0aa93-73f4-4d79-964f-d1a744c18165">Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans:
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

I am absolutely shocked that a man in his 60's(tony kornheiser age is 62, and you're older) posts such garbage on this blog.  I mean you try to rustle feathers and say nah nah nah boo boo crap, and now you tell me you're in your 60's... shocked right now.

Eh how old are you lakers nation??????  This is interesting stuff... as I do now live in LA, I do understand maturity is far and few in between, but in your 60's?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans : you don't have to prove any of that to anyone here.
    Posted by btownteamsrking[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Considering the gloomy economic news I watched today, anyone still working and drawing a decent paycheck should consider themselves among the fortunate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]Daddy, I agree with everything you just wrote (imagine that....?  :-) .....you are spot on about all of the greats you mentioned....I still have the bad memory of Jackson's three homers.....also remember when he put his hip out so the baseball could hit him when he was running the bases (that totally turned that series around)...of course, I remember Bucky freakin Dent....and how the Dodgers blew it against the Jints in '62 (Alston just refused to bring in Big D).....memories...todays fans get highlights 24/7......big difference from when you and I were kids.... B
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

I think all of us have a villian or two (from the "other" team) who broke our hearts. No doubt Bucky Dent is at the top of the list for most Bostonians.

My list includes Reggie Jackson, as previously mentioned, Willis Reed (and his "heroic" few minutes in the "gahden" (Paul Pierce stole his act) and Tom Brady and the "tuck" rule.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans : Great post... Jack Lambert would be a string bean playing middle linebacker today and most wouldnt take him as a serious player if he played today... but we know better (even though I hated the guy cause my team always been Da Rayda's)) SAme goes for Warfield, deacon Jones, Page, Yaz, Earl the Pearl, Big O and the rest... I guess our dad's can say the same thing about us... Its a shame, but understandable, that the longer time passes on, the less the players of years ago are remembered or revered.  Its why I loved watching roudtables in the middle of the night with Deacon Jones and players of his time talk football...or Russell talk NBA etc.. Great memories and stories. that younger generations miss out on... Then again, as they grow older, the same thing will happen with their heroes lol
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

You brought up some more great names from the past. I just visited the College Basketball Experience in Kansas City recently and they had the Top 25 college basketball players in history...the Big O was number 2 or 3. I wouldn't have argued if he was #1. He was a man among boys and would still rule in today's college game. And he was great pro player as well.

They didn't record sacks when David "Deacon" Jones was in the game. If they did, he probably would've been the all time leader.

Like I said, today's kids have missed out on some great moments in sports history. I'm glad to see there are still a lot who can remember these guys playing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion%3a7703f26a-4fa7-45ff-bf44-3270f4f97381&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:734e2bc9-e1bc-49d6-8355-64f9a8500246Discussion:7703f26a-4fa7-45ff-bf44-3270f4f97381Post:88b0aa93-73f4-4d79-964f-d1a744c18165 " /> Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans : I am absolutely shocked that a man in his 60's(tony kornheiser age is 62, and you're older) posts such garbage on this blog.  I mean you try to rustle feathers and say nah nah nah boo boo crap, and now you tell me you're in your 60's... shocked right now. Eh how old are you lakers nation??????  This is interesting stuff... as I do now live in LA, I do understand maturity is far and few in between, but in your 60's?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

Getzo, you're confusing me and LakerNation. Yes, we're both Laker fans, but I'm the one who posted this. But you did point out an error in my posting...

I'M YOUNGER THAN TONY KORNHEISER...WOOHOO!! By SEVERAL years!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Oh Daddy.......thanks for bringing up that ridiculous "tuck rule".......Brady fumbled and the Raiders should've won.....worse yet, the Pats beat my beloved Rams when the ref's simply refused to call penalties....Rams were 12 point favorites because of their speed and skill set.....NFL decided to "let them play".....Rams got screwed IMO....sorry Pats fans....I am a New Englander and love our Sox & Celts.....Pats..?
    ...not so much....but like the Yanks, they do have my respect!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Almost forgot Daddy......the was no one quite like  Deacon Jones....the Fearsome Foursome was also incredible...and it all began in '63 with Grier coming over for LoVetere.......that line was great for such a long time......Deacon finally replaced by Youngblood......Merlin Olsen...Grier then Roger Brown......Lundy finally being replaced by Dryer....Larry Brooks, Coy Bacon, Diron Talbert.....just a spectacular group of men....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans : Getzo, you're confusing me and LakerNation. Yes, we're both Laker fans, but I'm the one who posted this. But you did point out an error in my posting... I'M YOUNGER THAN TONY KORNHEISER...WOOHOO!! By SEVERAL years!!
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

Apparently you're still too old to realize that I was done with you... and then I went on to ask lakernation if he is as old and unmature as you.  After I went back to the fact that you're 60...

A day later and I still cannot believe how you act for someone your age.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I agree with Wilbon's premise but let us also note that Wilbon is a total homer himself, and I guarantee you he would ditch history in a second to over-value a Chicago athlete.  I think he gave Rose the MVP around Thanksgiving. 

Watching his man crush on "Earvin" is getting unbearable. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans : Apparently you're still too old to realize that I was done with you... and then I went on to ask lakernation if he is as old and unmature as you.  After I went back to the fact that you're 60... A day later and I still cannot believe how you act for someone your age.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

You're as young as you feel. BTW it's IMMATURE.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wilbon on the NBA fans : You're as young as you feel. BTW it's IMMATURE.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

If that saying makes you feel better... sure.  But I am realist... so no.  You're old and IMMATURE, thanks for the spell check though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Qgranddaddy could be the oldest troll on this board. Just saying. LOL