WNBA/Boston Celtics team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

WNBA/Boston Celtics team

Wondering why there isn't a WNBA team playing out of Boston?

Very happy as my Storm won their second championship today and that Lauren Jackson won the finals MVP. Lauren is the best basketball player I've ever seen. She's such a champion on and off the court.

Happier at this title that the last two Lakers champsionships!

Completely giddy!

Hopefully Boston will get a team soon.

GO STORM GO LJ!

(sorry about this but I'm so pumped up!!!)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Re: WNBA/Boston Celtics team

The better question is why does the WBNA still exist?

How can you compare a WNBA championship to an NBA championship. One league is a legit major sport that people actually care about. Although David Stern and the refs are working overtime to change that. The other is something almost nobody cares about and is on par with the X games and figure skating.

As for Boston not having a team. Boston doesn't have a team for the same reason Circuit City wasn't building new stores two years ago. Why on earth would a failing business expand? The only only thing  keeping the WNBA afloat is Stern's arrogance and stubbornness. For whatever reason, he doesn't care that ratings and ticket sales are abysmal. He is determined to cram the WNBA down our throat. Unfortunately for him, it's just not going to happen.

The only rooting interest I ever had in the WNBA- A girl that went to my college: Cindy Blodgett. She was an absolute scoring machine. She was drafted in the top 3, I think. Rode the bench, got traded and then retired within 4-5 years, I think. Complete bust- I still can't believe she didn't make it. If she didn't get me to watch a game, I don't know what would.

I hate to sound sexist, but people just don't care to see women play men's sports. Not when they are used to seeing men play the same game with more power, speed and explosiveness. Soccer, golf and tennis seem to offer a pretty good mix. But I don't think you are ever going to sell a women's league in the 4 major sports: football, hockey, baseball and basketball. Again, I don't mean to sound sexist. But it is what it is. 

Lastly, I think you are a great example of what an opposing fan should be on someone else's forum. And I respect what you bring here. I wasn't trying to mock you or attack you in any way. If you are that happy about it, then congratulations. I just don't think you are going to find many people that care. Just my two cents.

Hell, I didn't even know the Storm played in LA. I saw the headlie online and thought "Well that's nice. Seattle finally won something" That's how stupid I am. LOL   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

In Response to Re: WNBA/Boston Celtics team:
    [QUOTE]The better question is why does the WBNA still exist? How can you compare a WNBA championship to an NBA championship. One league is a legit major sport that people actually care about. Although David Stern and the refs are working overtime to change that. The other is something almost nobody cares about and is on par with the X games and figure skating. As for Boston not having a team. Boston doesn't have a team for the same reason Circuit City wasn't building new stores two years ago. Why on earth would a failing business expand? The only only thing  keeping the WNBA afloat is Stern's arrogance and stubbornness. For whatever reason, he doesn't care that ratings and ticket sales are abysmal. He is determined to cram the WNBA down our throat. Unfortunately for him, it's just not going to happen. The only rooting interest I ever had in the WNBA- A girl that went to my college: Cindy Blodgett. She was an absolute scoring machine. She was drafted in the top 3, I think. Rode the bench, got traded and then retired within 4-5 years, I think. Complete bust- I still can't believe she didn't make it. If she didn't get me to watch a game, I don't know what would. I hate to sound sexist, but people just don't care to see women play men's sports. Not when they are used to seeing men play the same game with more power, speed and explosiveness. Soccer, golf and tennis seem to offer a pretty good mix. But I don't think you are ever going to sell a women's league in the 4 major sports: football, hockey, baseball and basketball. Again, I don't mean to sound sexist. But it is what it is.  Lastly, I think you are a great example of what an opposing fan should be on someone else's forum. And I respect what you bring here. I wasn't trying to mock you or attack you in any way. If you are that happy about it, then congratulations. I just don't think you are going to find many people that care. Just my two cents. Hell, I didn't even know the Storm played in LA. I saw the headline online and thought "Well that's nice. Seattle finally won something" That's how stupid I am. LOL   
    Posted by dafoe[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Uh oh.....I think you may have the wrath of the young Laker trolls heading your way....but that's ok....congrat's on your team's championship!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

I would love for there to be a Boston WNBA team.

What would they be called?  Would their name and theme be directly related to the Celtics or something just related to Boston in general?  

I guess if you're gonna stick with the whole Irish mythology then 'The Boston Banshees' is the most obvious choice. From Wikipedia: 

"The Banshee is a female spirit in Irish mythology, usually seen as an omen of death and a messenger from the Otherworld."

That logo would be kickass!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WNBA/Boston Celtics team : What's with that photo lol????
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]

HUH? LOL, does my face offend you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WNBA/Boston Celtics team : HUH? LOL, does my face offend you?
    Posted by BRADinLA[/QUOTE]

Not at all I just thought 'George Michael'.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WNBA/Boston Celtics team : Not at all I just thought 'George Michael'.
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]
    Woah, jesus, I've never gotten George Michael, ha ha.  Does nobody like my Banshees idea?  We're just gonna talk about my face?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Banshees is great. Definately would be a unique name for a team.

The name I really don't get is Indiana Fever. It sounds like a disease you don't want to have.

I really want to see this league grow and become strong. Have the feeling it's the ugly duckling of American sports and this is a shame. The girls really do play top basketball and have good fundamentals. It doesn't have the athleticism of the mens game but that doesn't detract from good basketball.

Each NBA team should have a WNBA team attached. But I guess this should be done over time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mulcogi. Show mulcogi's posts

I like Banshee's but what does that have to do with your face? Wait a minute, what is the topic here? Oh, OK, I get it. Now, about your face. LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fitz0527. Show fitz0527's posts

BRAD why do you chose to live in the worst city in America?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

[QUOTE]BRAD why do you chose to live in the worst city in America?
    Posted by fitz0527[/QUOTE]
    I take if you've been here...?  I was born and raised in Dorchester but I love LA.  There are some crapy parts (Hollywood, Beverly Hills) but whatever.  I have SAD too so the constant sunshine really does me well.

btw, I changed my picture so we can all stop talking about George Michael.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

[QUOTE]BRAD why do you chose to live in the worst city in America?
    Posted by fitz0527[/QUOTE]
    This is getting old.  Funny thing probably is that ive probably been a CELTIC fan(in L.A.) longer than you've been alive.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

[QUOTE] I changed my picture so we can all stop talking about George Michael.
    Posted by BRADinLA[/QUOTE]

More like Eric Estrada now :P

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

L.A. is better than a lot of other big cities in the U.S.A.

So much to do there. I think the L.A. hate comes from the guys here who hate the Lakers? Cleveland is a truly awful place. I don't think Walt Disney building Disneyland out there wouldn't have helped it.

That being said I think Seattle, Portland and San Franciso are all nicer places than L.A. There's just so much to do in L.A.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

[QUOTE]L.A. is better than a lot of other big cities in the U.S.A. So much to do there. I think the L.A. hate comes from the guys here who hate the Lakers? Cleveland is a truly awful place. I don't think Walt Disney building Disneyland out there wouldn't have helped it. That being said I think Seattle, Portland and San Franciso are all nicer places than L.A. There's just so much to do in L.A.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]
    It's true, LA is like an amusement park in itself.  People are more positive and laid back out here.  There's a fun and youthful vibe pretty much everywhere you go.  I've been here 4 years now and I'll always love Boston but LA is my second home.  I have a lot of Laker fan friends and we bond especially over the rivalry.  I got to rub their faces in it 07-08 and now I'm getting it from them for last year.  And we all hope that it will be CELTICS-LAKERS again this year.  It's great.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cliffwaters. Show cliffwaters's posts

Probably the worst basketball game in the world. The ratings are so low butwill not be taken off the tube because we live in a politically world now. If that were a mens' league and the ratings were that low, they'd be taken off in a minute. Just a lousy game!