Working the NBA Trade Machine: Rondo to Sacramento!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

The question on the mind of every Celtics fan since 2012's improbable run to the ECF has been "when does Danny Ainge blow it up?"

Well that question has been answered. With only one member of the 2007-08 Championship team remaining on the Celtics, the staff of CelticsLife has taken to the ESPN Trade Machine to find some additional options for the Celtics to consider.

Week 1- Boston and Sacramento: Rajon Rondo, Gerald Wallace, and MarShon Brooks to Sacramento for Ben McLemore, John Salmons, Patrick Patterson, Jimmer Ferdette, Greivis Vasquez, and a 2014 draft pick (draft picks not available in ESPN trade machine).

The PRO Argument by Eric Blaisdell: 
    This trade is about as close to a win as you will get when trading away top talent. Gauging the value of a borderline superstar is never easy. The organization that has the player will overvalue him wanting a superstar or potential superstar in return, while other teams won't want to give up franchise-level talent for a guy who may not even be the best guy on a championship roster.

Sending Rondo out of town is going to sting, but the other players heading out the door with Rondo won't be missed. If the Celtics can move Wallace's horrid 3-years/$30M contract, that financial flexibility will go a long way towards the rebuild. Most of the players the Celtics would be getting back are either expiring contracts, additional picks, and cheap team options in Salmons, Patterson, Vazquez and Fredette. That's a small price to pay to offload Wallace and receive all some cap-friendly deals.

Outside of financial flexibility, the Celtics would be getting a player with real potential in rookie Ben McLemore. Here's a partial scouting report from SBNation.

McLemore is essentially the prototypical shooting guard. He has size (6'4, 180 pounds with a 6'8 wingspan), elite athleticism and an effortless-looking three-point shot. Not many guys can conceivably compete in the dunk contest and the three-point shootout.

Many said McLemore was the most talented player to come out of the last draft, but he fell to seventh overall because of questions about his competitive fire. He seems like a player that would thrive under a coach like Brad Stevens who seems to get the best out of what he has and knows how to mold young talent. Some of the other young players that the Celtics would be getting back could also help the rebuild as Fredette is a real nice shooter and Vazquez would be a great backup point guard.

The make-or-break parts of this deal is the draft pick. If Boston received Sacremento's 2014 first rounder in the trade then they essentially have two lottery picks in a loaded draft. Those two picks, McLemore, Fredette, Bradley, Sullinger and Olynyk make a very promising, very young core to build upon with all that the cap space in the hopes of getting the Celtics to their next banner. If the deal is for future picks then it may still be worth it for Boston as they would be adding to their stockpile of picks over the next several years for a potential trade for a superstar down the road.

If I'm Danny Ainge, this is probably the best deal for Rondo I'm going to get! 

The CON Argument by Padraic O’Connor:
    While this deal works on paper and gives both sides what they want, this is a bad deal for Danny Ainge & the Boston Celtics. If you can get a few blue chippers and some expiring assets you HAVE to do it, but there is no such thing as a guaranteed blue chipper. There are more Top 10 draft busts than there are blue chippers and the Celtics have had their share of busts. Here are the problems with this trade: 

• Youth: Just adding rookies, sophomores, and picks to this team will not secure a successful future for the Celtics – successful future being defined as being an ECF contender.  
    • Experience: This trade sends what experience the C’s do have in Rondo and Wallace and exchanging it for John Salmons. That leaves Bass, Green, Bogans, and Salmons to guide and grow your young core and future picks. That’s not a winning team – that’s the same kind of team that Cleveland, Washington, and Charlotte have had for the last 3 years. Not good.  
    • Talent: Boston is not a premiere destination for free agent talent. There is no external reason (less taxes, environment, nightlife, top media market, etc.) to come to the northeast and play a winter sport. In order to attract top talent, you need to have top talent. That means Rajon Rondo needs to stay in a green jersey.

While it makes sense on paper, in theory, and in the trade machine, I don’t think this works from a longevity standpoint for the Celtics.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Working the NBA Trade Machine: Rondo to Sacramento!

I would do this trade, if the Kings throw in their 2014 1st round draft pick! 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BCSP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's not gonna happen.

[/QUOTE]

It is far fetched, but if Sac-town offered me that deal (with 2014 1st round pick), I would take it! 

Could you imagine heading into the 2014-2015 NBA season with Wiggins and Randle! Wow!! 

Dreams are free! 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That's not gonna happen.

[/QUOTE]

It is far fetched, but if Sac-town offered me that deal (with 2014 1st round pick), I would take it! 

Could you imagine heading into the 2014-2015 NBA season with Wiggins and Randle! Wow!! 

Dreams are free! 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe McLemore or the 2014 1st rounder, but not both McLemore and the 2014 1st rounder.

[/QUOTE]

If Cousins pushed for the deal, I could imagine Sac-town considering it! BUT to your point, that would be a Kings ransom to give up for RR! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That's not gonna happen.

[/QUOTE]

Dreams are free! 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe McLemore or the 2014 1st rounder, but not both McLemore and the 2014 1st rounder.

[/QUOTE]

rondo,GW, Crawford and sully for vasquez,salmons, patterson, fredette, mclemore and sac's 2014 1st rd. i think that would be fair for both teams

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to TheBigTicket05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's not gonna happen.

[/QUOTE]

Dreams are free! 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

rondo,GW, Crawford and sully for vasquez,salmons, patterson, fredette, mclemore and sac's 2014 1st rd. i think that would be fair for both teams

[/QUOTE]

I would do that trade as well! 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

[QUOTE]

I think it's best the Celts go the wait and see approach regarding Rondo.

After all, Rondo is still injured, his trade value is down right now.

[/QUOTE]

+ 1

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I am guessing the Kings would love to bring RR and Cousins together! It is a very interesting trade idea! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RicosUncle. Show RicosUncle's posts

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...not more trades!!!!!!!

C'mon man, the trade deadline will be here before you know it and all this hogwash will be merely an academic exercise...NOBODY will do the C's a favor and take our collection of fugitives from the Land of Misfit Toys and give us back gold...not gonna happen...EVER

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

TheBigTicket

I think we're not going to get equal value for Rondo if we're asking for players in return.

But I think Ainge will trade Rondo if a team offers a top 5 pick for Rondo. 

also remember how ainge dealt perk coming from an acl injury.

but top 5 pick would be nice though. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

The issue with dealing Rondo is that we go from a team with a legitamit allstar, to a team with no Allstars. Do you really want years and years of what we saw this preseason? A team with no leader, no star talent and no identity. With Rondo we have someone to build around. Without Rondo we have two years of trying to figure out who to build around, and then two years of actual building. Even if we get the two lottery picks, what if they aren't as high as we expect? Ours and the Kings could easily become the 6th and 9th ... that lands us outside of the realm of franchisable players and into potential allstars, who could bust.

McClemore looks nice, but he's unproven. 

This may be a fair deal for the organization, but as a fan I don't want 4 years of losing just to be relevent again. I want to dethrown Lebron. You should too. Rondo is the first piece of that puzzle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

What is it with New England fans ? Let's see when Brady got hurt Cassell throws a TD and it's, " Let's trade Brady", Big Papi has a slump at the begining of the year and it's "let's trade Papi" so now Rondo isn't coming back for the first game and it's "let's trade Rondo" . See a trend here? WHat I see is that DA wants an up and down running team and has reset his roster accordingly.

Some think Rondo dribbled too much last year, at times a valid point, but I think if we run an up tempo I think it will make Rondo look even better and up his production. If anybody gets traded in season it will be Humpty and or Crawford/Brooks.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to R9R's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The issue with dealing Rondo is that we go from a team with a legitamit allstar, to a team with no Allstars. Do you really want years and years of what we saw this preseason? A team with no leader, no star talent and no identity. With Rondo we have someone to build around. Without Rondo we have two years of trying to figure out who to build around, and then two years of actual building. Even if we get the two lottery picks, what if they aren't as high as we expect? Ours and the Kings could easily become the 6th and 9th ... that lands us outside of the realm of franchisable players and into potential allstars, who could bust.

McClemore looks nice, but he's unproven. 

This may be a fair deal for the organization, but as a fan I don't want 4 years of losing just to be relevent again. I want to dethrown Lebron. You should too. Rondo is the first piece of that puzzle.

[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding?

The Bulls has never made it to the Finals since MJ left.

The Rockets have not been to the Finals since 1995.

If building a contender were that easy, both those great of the 1990s would've made it back to the Finals by now.

Don't tell me you've only been a fan of the Celtics when KG came to Boston.

Us fans since the 1980s remember the hard times, the 20-year Finals drought.

We know Rondo is an All-Star if he's surrounded by great players.

But will Rondo become an All-Star if he's the only great player on the team?

Those assist numbers will go down because it will not be KG or Pierce receiving those passes from Rondo.

[/QUOTE]

Whats your point? That we should stick with the 20 year rebuild for one championship strategy?

My point is that Rondo, now like Rose or Harden is a top 10 player in this league and is enough to build around. If we didn't have Rondo, I wouldn't be a homer and say "we need to build around Green or Bradley or Sully" NO. I'd say we need to start with a franchise player, and you get one of those through the draft.

Lets put it this way. Maybe Danny keeps Rondo through this season and we end up with a #1 pick and Wiggins is looking like he'll be in the Lebron & Durant class. He dethrowns Rondo at that point, just like Pierce did with Walker. You build around Wiggins. The decision then, is do we pay Rondo his extention to make Wiggins the better player and hope that they can contend after a few years in the league. But maybe, the best would be to make a clear statement that this wil be Wiggins team, and to send Rondo to a contender for another pick. At that point, really, Rondo's value isn't as high (to Celtics) because we have that franchise player.

Does that make sense? I just don't want to see our only franchise player shipped out for a roll at the dice, without having that next franchise player. That is how a team dies. The Bobcats with all their picks never found "the guy". Looks like Orlando has found theirs in Oladipo. In the NBA you really need "the guy" to take over games. Successful teams have it.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

[QUOTE]

R9R

It's too early to say that Rondo is a franchise player.

All-Star?

Yes!

Superstar?

Remains to be seen.

You said you don't want 4 years of losing.

How sure are you the Celts will not be losing for 4 years even with Rondo?

Let's base it on fundamentals.

Until Rondo proves he can make the 3-point shot, it's like playing 4 vs. 5.

And Rondo's FT% needs to go higher now that Pierce and KG are no longer with the team.

How can you be "the man" if you can't even make 70% of your FTs.

[/QUOTE]

Would you say the same thing about Tony Parker?

He cannot and does not shoot 3s

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mployee8. Show Mployee8's posts

THE GREAT OZ HAS SPOKEN .... hahaha

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is it with New England fans ? Let's see when Brady got hurt Cassell throws a TD and it's, " Let's trade Brady", Big Papi has a slump at the begining of the year and it's "let's trade Papi" so now Rondo isn't coming back for the first game and it's "let's trade Rondo" . See a trend here? WHat I see is that DA wants an up and down running team and has reset his roster accordingly.

Some think Rondo dribbled too much last year, at times a valid point, but I think if we run an up tempo I think it will make Rondo look even better and up his production. If anybody gets traded in season it will be Humpty and or Crawford/Brooks.

[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the NBA - where trades happen! DA is a gun slinger, who slaps leather and makes unexpected trades periodically! Speculation - RR has a 50/50 of getting traded before next season!