Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?

Just curious if you think Blake Griffin would be the #1 overall pick if you were starting a team right now.  I would think the top 4 candidates would be LeBron, Dwight, Durant, and Blake.  Age, upside, durability...all things considered.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, as much as I hate LeBron, but I would personally go:
    1-Blake; simply based on his upside, which is ridiculous
    2-LeBron; would be #1 if he had shown the ability to win, and wasn't such a DB
    3-Howard; lacks killer instinct, but by far the best Big in the game
    4-KD; best scorer in the game, but doesn't have the all around game yet

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?

So much would depend on what other players I thought I could get and who's already on the team.

Lebron is number one if your star has to carry the team.

If you're looking for a player to be the best player but play within the system, I go with Howard or Blake.  I value defense and KD would be last because he's not a good defensive player.

If you have a great point guard, go with Blake.  Lebron is LAST on the list if you have a great point guard because your poor point guard is wasted as Mebron won't even let him touch the ball.

Overall, I'd go Howard first (always start with a great center who can rebound and play D), Blake second, Lebron third, an KD fourth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

If I'm starting a team I start with Durant. My Mock Draft of how I would draft with the current young players.

1-Durant
    2-Howard
    3-LeBron
    4-Gasol
    5-Wade
    6-Melo
    7-Rose
    8-DWill
    9-Love
    10-Griffin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

Bias,

While I don't agree with some of your top 10, most of them I can at least see an argument for (Rose, D-Will), but you would really build a team around Gasol (age, assuming you mean Pau), Wade (age, wear and tear/injuries), and Melo (one dimensional), before Blake Griffin? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I. LeBron
     2. Durant
     3.Rose
     4.Melo
     5.Howard
     6.DeRon williams
     7.Griffin
     8.John Wall
     9.Demarcus Cousins
     10.Ray Allen {he shows no signs of slowing down} This ones for you Fierce!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?:
    [QUOTE]Bias, While I don't agree with some of your top 10, most of them I can at least see an argument for (Rose, D-Will), but you would really build a team around Gasol (age, assuming you mean Pau), Wade (age, wear and tear/injuries), and Melo (one dimensional), before Blake Griffin? 
    Posted by adco1212[/QUOTE]

Heck yeah!

Gasol is a 7 footer with great skills (HARD to find)
    Wade with any big man would be nice
    Melo (one dimensional??) I'm a big Syracuse fan so that's got my hair standing up. Melo is a great all-around talent.

Griffin has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Let's give him a few years. He can jump but his game needs work.It's going to be fun to see how KG plays him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Celtics have for so long been a great defensive team.  I'm surprised to find so many Celtic fans making their priority list based on offense alone.  Or....maybe there's a view that Durant, Rose, and Melo are great defensive players and passers?   I can see Lebron - very good defensive player, but the others surprise me being so high on these lists (vs Howard who rebounds and plays D like KG and Russell and Cowens and Parish and other great Celtics players).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

Bias,

I agree that Gasol is great, he's the most skilled big man in the game right now...and I agree that Wade is a great player, he's probably a top 5 or 6 player in the game...but my argument against them would be that they're both 30'ish years old, and if you're starting a team as a GM, you HAVE to consider age, along with future durability and longevity.  You'd rather have 3-4 more years of Gasol or Wade at a high level, instead of Griffin for another 12 years at a high level? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

[QUOTE]Bias, I agree that Gasol is great, he's the most skilled big man in the game right now...and I agree that Wade is a great player, he's probably a top 5 or 6 player in the game...but my argument against them would be that they're both 30'ish years old, and if you're starting a team as a GM, you HAVE to consider age, along with future durability and longevity.  You'd rather have 3-4 more years of Gasol or Wade at a high level, instead of Griffin for another 12 years at a high level? 

I gotcha!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

In Response to Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?:
    [QUOTE]Just curious if you think Blake Griffin would be the #1 overall pick if you were starting a team right now.  I would think the top 4 candidates would be LeBron, Dwight, Durant, and Blake.  Age, upside, durability...all things considered.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, as much as I hate LeBron, but I would personally go: 1-Blake; simply based on his upside, which is ridiculous 2-LeBron; would be #1 if he had shown the ability to win, and wasn't such a DB 3-Howard; lacks killer instinct, but by far the best Big in the game 4-KD; best scorer in the game, but doesn't have the all around game yet

Are we to assume they would be just 22? If so then Shaq.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

No, take everyone for the age they are today, but you're not building a team for only this year, you're building a team for the next 10 years.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtown07. Show gtown07's posts

[QUOTE]No, take everyone for the age they are today, but you're not building a team for only this year, you're building a team for the next 10 years.   

Then take Griffin.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Griffin is absolutely flying up my list. He is the type of player with limitless potential for greatness.

I think we all have a good idea of where DWade and Lebron will be in 5 years.

Durant I am not sure. He could be fantastic. I think he could use a little bulk.

Howard I don't see getting a ton better.

It is tough to take a PG because there are so many that are so good right now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

If I'm building for a championship, I build from inside out.   Like Exist said, there are many good point guards but great big men who can play D are rare.  So, start with a great Center who plays D (Howard) and then a great forward who can score and play D and a point guard 3rd.  So, my list goes:

Howard
    Lebron
    Gasol
    Griffin
    Dwill
    Durant
    Wade
    Melo
    Rondo
    Love

Rose is missing only because I start with a big man, a great shooting team, and a point guard who can distribute and pass (which DWill and CP3 can do but Rose is yet to prove).

Also, few championship teams over the years (Jordan and Isaah's teams are the exception) didn't have great centers/power forwards who played great D (Russell, Jabbar, Olijuwan (sp?), Shaq, Duncan, Parish/McHale/Bird, Walton, Malone/Dr. J, etc).  So, start with big men who can play D, Rebound, and Pass!).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PierceIsTheTruth. Show PierceIsTheTruth's posts

screw lebron, i hate the guy. would never take him. i would take melo, griffin, durant all over lebron. melo has shown he could win in a big stage (even though it was college) surround him with some good players and I think he could do it. rondo for a pg. griffin in a beast its only his first year. year i'd take him in a heartbeat.  griffin is only going to get better. centers i really don't like howards grin, but i'd take him or bogurt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

Hard to pass on Griffin. Not sure when we last saw someone come into the league with such an immediate impact. Scary to think what he'll be like in three years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Hard to pass on Griffin. Not sure when we last saw someone come into the league with such an immediate impact. Scary to think what he'll be like in three years.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be great to see him hammer the Fakers into submission for the next 12 years?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM? : Wouldn't it be great to see him hammer the Fakers into submission for the next 12 years?
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]
    That would be a hard thing for him to do in a Lakers jersey.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM? : That would be a hard thing for him to do in a Lakers jersey.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]

Heard he wanted to play for a TEAM so he was thinking about the C's.  He wouldn't like playing with a ball hog.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Question is too vague.  Can I pick ANYONE, or I am limited to the last 3 years?

If it's the last 3 years:
    Durant
    Griffin
    Rose

Griffin is a nice player, and a walking double-double.  But you cannot teach what Durant has.....................and Derrick Rose scares the bejeezus out of me!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

Hedley, what do you mean limited to the last 3 years?  I'm not going back in history, I'm refering to current players, if that's what you're asking.  Obviously this isn't an exact science, but when I started the discussion, my thoughts were simply who would you take if you were building a team and was looking forward to the next 10 years or so. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Question is too vague.  Can I pick ANYONE, or I am limited to the last 3 years? If it's the last 3 years: Durant Griffin Rose Griffin is a nice player, and a walking double-double.  But you cannot teach what Durant has.....................and Derrick Rose scares the bejeezus out of me!!
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]

Can you teach what Griffith does?  If so hire the teacher and bring him to Boston.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM? : Can you teach what Griffith does?  If so hire the teacher and bring him to Boston.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

It's GRIFFIN - you make that error a lot!
    And, no, as an athlete you cannot teach what he has.  I meant as a basketball player.  And I'll still take Durant. 
    Blake missed an entire year already, and has only 41 games under his belt.  (22.7 and 12.7) as a PF.
    Durant has 274 games, a much bigger sample, and is at 25.7 and 6.2 as a SF.  I need to see more of Mr. Griffin before I dub him as the next big thing.  The power game always goes away, how will he adpat when finesse takes over?  Will he be like Karl Malone, or like Moses Malone, who had to quit the game when he lost his explosiveness!!  Durant will average about 25- 30 for the next 10 years!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]Hedley, what do you mean limited to the last 3 years?  I'm not going back in history, I'm refering to current players, if that's what you're asking.  Obviously this isn't an exact science, but when I started the discussion, my thoughts were simply who would you take if you were building a team and was looking forward to the next 10 years or so. 

Then, if that's the case, since this is still the NBA, I would go for a Center first, then a PG.  So, Howard or Gasol #1 and Rose or Westbrook #2, only because I don't think DWill will last 10 more years!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

At the beginning of the year I thought durant would be the best player in the nba this year (not just top scorer.)  To me (and this is sad cause okc is my 1b favorite team), kd has taken a step back or at least hasn't progressed this year.

My philosophy is you find a guy who can score in the post and build the team around him.  So I would be inclined to take blake if I was sure he could stay healthy.

But nah, I'll take kevin durant.  There's no other players in the whole nba (given age factor) that I would even consider over those two.  If okc had won the lottery a couple years ago they'd be ready for a championship this year.