Would you trade Rondo for these guys?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Would you trade Rondo for these guys?

Which point guards would you trade Rondo for:

Conley-  He has turned into a fantastic player

Rose- former MVP

Williams- slumped the first half of year but really turned it on second half of year

Paul- Has his own state farm commercial.   HA

Curry-  the best in the league now

Westbrook- a stud

Irving- getting ready to go to superstar level

Parker- steady player

Holliday- getting close

Felton- good player that doesn't get to do his thing because of Melo and JR.

I am probrably missing some.  I doubt any of these players teams would trade for RR.  Maybe NY and Felton.  If Rondo wants to be big time he is going to have to do more than pass the ball,  he is going to have to turn into a scorer as well.  If we lose KG and PP we are going to find out how good Mr. Rondo really is. Already seen some posts expecting us to drop to the lottery if we lose those two.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: Would you trade Rondo for these guys?

westbrook is a head case the same as rondo- not as well veiled as rondo is by unabated selfish playing style and coach enablement, but still a head case.

we do not need a point guard of any greater functionality than raymond felton. 

however, rondo is a massive liability to any low tempo playing team and smart scouts / GM's are going to realize that rondo himself no longer wants to run the ball. 

so rondo is an enigma rapped up inside a riddle.  who would want him and why?  i'm not sure on either account.  i would ditch him for any useful pieces and high draft picks that are worth rondo's salary of 12M / year.  because rondo is not worth 12M / year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

Parker, Conley, Irving, CP3, Curry, Lillard and Rose in a heartbeat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

What's the point?  Rondo is maybe the 10 best pg in the NBA.  Who else on the Celtics is 10th best at their respective position? No one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

What's the point?  Rondo is maybe the 10 best pg in the NBA.  Who else on the Celtics is 10th best at their respective position? No one.

i think green has that potential at the 3.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Name 10 better centers than KG, Or 10 better small forwards than Pierce or Green....  That's what i thought!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

KG & PP to retire in California but not in the South...trade them & Rondo to GS for Curry(best scoring PG in the game), David Lee( better than KG now but not in his youth, of course, and reminds me of Dave Cowens) and Bogut...playing great center. The fans would be rioting in the streets of SF.

OK, I'm California dreaming so please don't lay into me !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

Name 10 better centers than KG, Or 10 better small forwards than Pierce or Green....  That's what i thought!!!

Center- Howard Bynum, Bogut, lopez, cousins, Horford. noah, chandler, gasol, Monroe. Hibbert

Small forward- James Durant, Anthony, Igoudola, Gay, Granger, Gallinari, Deng. 

Kg is not a top ten center.  Pierce and Green maybe both around 10 for a SF.

Which is about where Rondo is.

so I guess you got me to admit that maybe Pierce or Green is about the 10th best Sf in the NBA.

But my point still stands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

Ky - I think his bigger point is that we have a top-7/8 PG but because he isn't top-3 certain people want him gone and believe that any serviceable PG is fine (be careful what you wish for - anyone remember the Sherman Douglas years...)

Also, as to your KG assertion (are we trading KG for a pure 5 or simply a major post player)... Here's a potential list: Brook Lopez, Duncan, Noah, Howard, M. Gasol, P. Gasol, Love, Blake Griffin, Lamarcus Aldridge, Cousins, Hibbert, Bynum, Chandler, Big Al even Monroe or Drummond solely on future potential...  If Iam buildoing a fantasy league - there's over 10 names of players I would have to consider (you could add others, David Lee, Horford)... - that doesn't mean KG isn't still very good as he showed in teh NY series.  You tell me how many you would trade head up - I suspect you may get to 8 or 9 pretty easy and 10+ isn't a stretch; obviously whether we are talking for a series, a season, or long-term trande changes how you look at the trade... Suspect I'd come up with a similar list of SF's to compare very favorably in a head-to-head trade with PP.

One on one - it all depends on which Rondo (the one that wasn't great this year or th eone that was awesome in the playoffs last year...).  Yes: CP3, Irving, Rose, Parker.  Maybe: DWill I think his best is behind him and he has basically thrown two coaches under the bus; Curry (completely different types of PG's); Westbrook - will he ever make the players around him better?  No: Conley based on career - boyhe played well last night; if that continues then maybe; Holiday, Felton, Lilliard.  (Surprised you left Ty Lawson off your list... although I think I'd choose RR)

RR is a top-10 PG.  Last playoffs - top-5.  Be careful believeing that any old schmoe can be a PG on a champioship team... unless of course on the wing you have MJ, LBJ, Kobe, Bird, etc.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Bird-to-DJ's comment:

Ky - I think his bigger point is that we have a top-7/8 PG but because he isn't top-3 certain people want him gone and believe that any serviceable PG is fine (be careful what you wish for - anyone remember the Sherman Douglas years...)

Also, as to your KG assertion (are we trading KG for a pure 5 or simply a major post player)... Here's a potential list: Brook Lopez, Duncan, Noah, Howard, M. Gasol, P. Gasol, Love, Blake Griffin, Lamarcus Aldridge, Cousins, Hibbert, Bynum, Chandler, Big Al even Monroe or Drummond solely on future potential...  If Iam buildoing a fantasy league - there's over 10 names of players I would have to consider (you could add others, David Lee, Horford)... - that doesn't mean KG isn't still very good as he showed in teh NY series.  You tell me how many you would trade head up - I suspect you may get to 8 or 9 pretty easy and 10+ isn't a stretch; obviously whether we are talking for a series, a season, or long-term trande changes how you look at the trade... Suspect I'd come up with a similar list of SF's to compare very favorably in a head-to-head trade with PP.

One on one - it all depends on which Rondo (the one that wasn't great this year or th eone that was awesome in the playoffs last year...).  Yes: CP3, Irving, Rose, Parker.  Maybe: DWill I think his best is behind him and he has basically thrown two coaches under the bus; Curry (completely different types of PG's); Westbrook - will he ever make the players around him better?  No: Conley based on career - boyhe played well last night; if that continues then maybe; Holiday, Felton, Lilliard.  (Surprised you left Ty Lawson off your list... although I think I'd choose RR)

RR is a top-10 PG.  Last playoffs - top-5.  Be careful believeing that any old schmoe can be a PG on a champioship team... unless of course on the wing you have MJ, LBJ, Kobe, Bird, etc.

My point is that even if one thinks Rondo is a problem there is no way he is the biggest problem on the team.  This team has an enormous problem with bigs, and also with 2's.

Whether Rondo is on the team or not isn't going to be the biggest issue next year. Not even close.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Center- Howard Bynum, Bogut, lopez, cousins, Horford. noah, chandler, gasol, Monroe. Hibbert

so I guess you got me to admit that maybe Pierce or Green is about the 10th best Sf in the NBA.

Maybe a little much on the hyperbole side. Glad you get my point, and about 4 of those guys while younger than KG are not better!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Maybe a little much on the hyperbole side. Glad you get my point, and about 4 of those guys while younger than KG are not better!!

Hyperbole. The dummy learned a word from me!  You needed another exclamation point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Hyperbole. The dummy learned a word from me!  You needed another exclamation point.

Name calling, really!!  I thought you were above that.  I guess we pushed you to far!  I'll admit i was wrong, i thought you could take it. Sorry man!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Wow, these lists are weird. There are players who played not a single game this season (Bynum), just have blown their ACL (Gallinari) or made a bad team worse (Gay). If KG and Pierce are not better than these guys, Doc must be a magician cause the Cs made the playoffs with this team.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fields4. Show Fields4's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

Wow, these lists are weird. There are players who played not a single game this season (Bynum), just have blown their ACL (Gallinari) or made a bad team worse (Gay). If KG and Pierce are not better than these guys, Doc must be a magician cause the Cs made the playoffs with this team.  

But almost every other listed player is from a playoff team. They are just younger than KG & PP and can sustain long season, play much more consistently therefore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

We are talking about the future. Not the past.

You would take Garnett over Bynum?

Really?

Time marches on. You think Toronto would trade Gay for Pierce right now if their contracts were the same?  They would not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Name calling, really!!  I thought you were above that.  I guess we pushed you to far!  I'll admit i was wrong, i thought you could take it. Sorry man!!

Yeah not sure what you are apologizing for. I thought you enjoyed this as much as I did. Guess not.

I just appreciate you volunteering to be made fun of.  It was boring when I just had Pud. 

By the way you forgot to use exclamation points on two of your sentences in your last post. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

1) You would take Garnett over Bynum?

Really?

2) Time marches on. You think Toronto would trade Gay for Pierce right now if their contracts were the same?  They would not.

1)

Bynum didn't play a single game and may be done. Paying him sth close to may money can kill a franchise for the next 5 years. And last year Bynum was certainly not better than KG.

2)

IF their contracts are the same. Thats it. It is not only age but also health and money (amount and duration of contract) what is important. Memphis traded Gay in a package deal and received T-Price in return. Not a young gun either.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Honestly, I've got a first class ticket on the "trade Rondo" bandwagon, but it's not just because I hate his game and attitude. ( I do, but that's not the point). I think what the original post did a good job of showing is that we're living in a period of basketball that has a LOT of great point guards. If you can trade Rondo to one of the teams in dire need of one of those PGs and get equal value at another spot, while maybe pulling down one of those second tier guys with potential like Bledsoe or even Robinson (I like him much more off the bench like most probably do) it would make the team better as a whole. A slight downturn at PG with a big upgrade somewhere else would wind up being an overall upgrade for the team.

The only issue is with Rondo coming off the injury, and Rose still not back, I see most teams out there being scared to give up a top value for Rondo.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

1) You would take Garnett over Bynum?

Really?

2) Time marches on. You think Toronto would trade Gay for Pierce right now if their contracts were the same?  They would not.

1)

Bynum didn't play a single game and may be done. Paying him sth close to may money can kill a franchise for the next 5 years. And last year Bynum was certainly not better than KG.

2)

IF their contracts are the same. Thats it. It is not only age but also health and money (amount and duration of contract) what is important. Memphis traded Gay in a package deal and received T-Price in return. Not a young gun either.

I am not talking about last year. I am talking about next year and on into the future. 

Pierce and KG have no future. Sad but true.

KG was a much better player than Bynum, Pierce was a much better player than Gay. But going forward anyone would take Gallanari or Gay over Pierce and anyone would take Bynum over Kg.

Do you think if Bynum were signed for the next two years at KG's salary that Ainge wouldnt trade for him in a heartbeat?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Bynum? No...but only because he can't get on the court. Most of those other players, definitely.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

Which point guards would you trade Rondo for:

Conley-  He has turned into a fantastic player

Rose- former MVP

Williams- slumped the first half of year but really turned it on second half of year

Paul- Has his own state farm commercial.   HA

Curry-  the best in the league now

Westbrook- a stud

Irving- getting ready to go to superstar level

Parker- steady player

Holliday- getting close

Felton- good player that doesn't get to do his thing because of Melo and JR.

I am probrably missing some.  I doubt any of these players teams would trade for RR.  Maybe NY and Felton.  If Rondo wants to be big time he is going to have to do more than pass the ball,  he is going to have to turn into a scorer as well.  If we lose KG and PP we are going to find out how good Mr. Rondo really is. Already seen some posts expecting us to drop to the lottery if we lose those two.

All but Felton. You can add Lillard to your list.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

Bynum? No...but only because he can't get on the court. Most of those other players, definitely.

If Bynum were signed long tern for decent money Ainge would trade KG for him in a second.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

The big thing to me with this is that you can't really tell which Rondo you're talking about. I know not everyone likes Bill Simmons' work, but there's one thing he's dead on about, and that's the fact that there's 2 different Rondos. (I'd argue there's 3) There's the Rondo who you see against the Heat in the playoffs who's as good, if not better than every player on the floor (minus LeBron). And then there's the apathetic guy who doesn't feel like putting in any effort right now. I'd claim there's a third Rondo who wants to get his numbers, typically double digit assists, no matter how it effects the team and game. A lot of teams would love to have their PGs putting up double digit assists each night, but the way Rondo does it probably hurts the team and causes more bad shots than good ones.

I honestly would use Rondo to get that caliber player at the 2, 4, or 5, and have a steady hand at the point. I don't care how talented my PG is, I care how smart he is. I want my guy to be making the right play every time. If that means passing it to Green to drive then kick it out to the wing for an open shot, that's the move I want him to make, even if it doesn't make a dent in his stat line.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Pierce and KG have no future. Sad but true.

Do you think if Bynum were signed for the next two years at KG's salary that Ainge wouldnt trade for him in a heartbeat?

That is not as clear as you think. KG and PP are old like a rock but Bynum might be done as well. And he might ask for a long term max money contract. It is not even clear that his current team offers him a contract.