Big night in New England basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimreilly43. Show jimreilly43's posts

Big night in New England basketball

BC at Providence and Harvard at UCONN.  Will Big East raine supreme again?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Re: Big night in New England basketball

In Response to Re: Big night in New England basketball:
    [QUOTE]Providence's w/l record looks good, until you scratch the surface.  6 of their 7 victories were against weak teams that are all well under .500 for the year.  They lost by double digits to 2 of the 3 opponents who have winning records.  So BC, as bad as they've been, has a chance to keep it close.  It's hard to predict a victory against any opponent with a pulse though, and the Friars have one even if it's faint. I suspect most College Hoops fans, across the country, are going to be rooting for Harvard over the mercenaries from Storrs.  And the Crimson are legit,  they have a fair chance at taking it if the Huskies are even slightly off their game. Both teams have some built-in advantages.  UConn isn't distracted by trifles like books, exams, and such.  Harvard doesn't have to worry about navigating the mean streets of Hartford for bags of weed, or finding unsecured laptops to fences so they can finance those bags. 
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]
    Tough being a BC want a bee there slimpickens thisd year? 

Putting a JV team out there on the hardwood, coached by a moron, who was suppose to be the end all for BC basketball has certainly hit the skids. Don't know where Wonder Boy festered up these bunch of misfits, however, we can all pile on BC's misery this season .... a weeeeeee bit of a disgrace at that?

Appears, UCONN will all but play with the little Ivy Leaguers' tonight where the bros will teach some Phillips Academy preppies some NBA basketball sand lot style as slimpickens!!! explores the posts on the New Republic on World Hunger and Social reform.  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bac10. Show bac10's posts

[QUOTE]Providence's w/l record looks good, until you scratch the surface.  6 of their 7 victories were against weak teams that are all well under .500 for the year.  They lost by double digits to 2 of the 3 opponents who have winning records.  So BC, as bad as they've been, has a chance to keep it close.  It's hard to predict a victory against any opponent with a pulse though, and the Friars have one even if it's faint. I suspect most College Hoops fans, across the country, are going to be rooting for Harvard over the mercenaries from Storrs.  And the Crimson are legit,  they have a fair chance at taking it if the Huskies are even slightly off their game. Both teams have some built-in advantages.  UConn isn't distracted by trifles like books, exams, and such.  Harvard doesn't have to worry about navigating the mean streets of Hartford for bags of weed, or finding unsecured laptops to fences so they can finance those bags. 

Modestly amusing but also mostly unfair.  UConn is not full on mercenaries like Kentucky, or even UNC and Duke.  Most of their best players have been stand-up guys and overachievers who stayed until at least their junior years (Emeka Okafor, Donyell Marshall, Ray Allen, Kevin Ollie, Ben Gordon, etc).  I can't think of anyone leaving after one year and only recall a few who left after two.

In the spirit of unfairness, "Slim Pickens" sounds like what a BC fan mutters to himself when looking over the schedule for wins.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bac10. Show bac10's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure what gives you the impression I'm a BC fan, "bac10" .  Believe it or not, once you leave the metropolis of Storrs most people do dislike UConn.  Calhoun is working the very fringes of what's legal and what's fair, and very much resembles John Calipari in that respect. You get a couple of humor points,  "bac10",  for that favorable comparison of UConn "student athletes" to those of Duke.   Chuckle.

I've lived nowhere near Storrs for decades and in my travels have yet the meet the kind of UConn haters that populate this site.  You called UConn players 'mercenaries' which to me means the best top prospects that plan to leave for the NBA after one or two years of college.  I pointed out that this characterization is not now and has never been true of UConn.  UConn has excelled at finding mostly low 1st tier/high 2nd tier recruits that play hard, develop, and stay until at least their junior years.  Their best two players now--Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier--were barely in the top 100 in terms of high school recruits. That's not mercenary. 

The past UConn players that I listed as exemplifying this tradition have all been great teammates and quality individuals.  Most of them have brought this emphasis on teamwork, defense, and player development and gone on to be excellent professionals in the NBA (e.g. Ray Allen, Emeka Okafor, Rip Hamilton).  Who exactly are these mercenaries you are referring to?   

Duke is an excellent program but they also regularly recruit top ten high school players who everyone knows will leave after one or two years--including William Avery, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Luol Deng, Josh McRoberts, Kyrie Irving, etc.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Congrats to the UMASS Lowell River Hawks in keeping up BC losing tradition ... Great 3-2 win at Tsongas last night in keeping up BC's tradition as LOSER's.

Sad times at the Heights, perhaps BC Baseball might beat up on the Red Sox's D team come March?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Wow, cherryho the doggie style husky was up early today, just early enough to sneak a few moments at mom's laptop and type a message about a BC hockey loss as his contribution to a thread about New England basketball.  Nce job dog, another pointless contribution but nonetheless entertaining.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

Congrats to UML hockey as well on last night's win over BC. Always an event when BC comes to Tsongas but the Eagles tended to win(or steal) those games, but not this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AvLT3mtsIlE

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

Does BC have a hockey team? No way, although  it's headed in the same direction as Basketball & Football the Hockey Least cellar!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Great win by the Irish last night against the #12 Boilermakers. Been a slow start without our All American on IR however, it's a positive. Great game at Conte today at 5:00 p.m. Sacred Heart journeys up from Bridgeport,arm pit of New England, to play a failing BC Hoops program under Wonder Boys' sad direction! Flippo congrats where did you find this clown?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Ummm....I grew up in the Boston area. Trust me, there is NO "Big Night in New England" for college basketball.

It is for other areas of the country. The last thing Boston wants to do is get bogged down with college athletics.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]Ummm....I grew up in the Boston area. Trust me, there is NO "Big Night in New England" for college basketball. It is for other areas of the country. The last thing Boston wants to do is get bogged down with college athletics.
    Posted by bluefox70[/QUOTE]

Are you a BC grad it figures?

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bac10. Show bac10's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Big night in New England basketball : Oh.  bac10 you're the first serious UConn fan I've encountered on BDC, so forgive me.  I've been dealing with the cretins and fairweather boys for so long I've forgotten that there are actually real BB fans associated with UConn too. I do have a problem with Calhoun ducking NE teams when they get to be too much work. As I've said in the past (but not the recent past, this years crew of trolls isn't worth the effort), it's not the fear of losing that drives that.  Obviously he does have a few tough outs in the OOC.  He can play, and beat, anyone.  Mostly it's the grind of the BE behind it his scheduling policies. If he doesn't want the extra wear and tear on his troops before the conference slate, fine.  But he doesn't leave it at that,  he's always going on about what a great ambassador of New England basketball he is.  And he's not.  He could be.  He should be.  But his treatment of the better local schools disqualifies him. Beyond that, cheap jokes aside, he has brought in a bunch of decent kids in his time.  It's impossible to not like any of the specific examples you listed.  And I'd go further in fact.  Even though we're not supposed to say so, this UMass fan first loved UConn back in the days of folks like Doron Scheffer.  The style of play has always been fun to watch.    The problem with big time success is that you attract alot of lame hanger-on types. Got a few of them right here in this forum.  You sound like a real fan though, so good luck this season!

Out of conference schedule does seem a little weaker than normal but maybe last year's was just particularly strong with Kentucky and MSU at the Maui Invitational and then at Texas.  I think they usually play a decent amount of NE schools: they play Maine, Harvard, Holy Cross, and Fairfield this year.  They seem to play BU, UNH, and Hartford from time to time.  It is true that they never play BC, apparently following through on Calhoun's vow.  I don't know why the UMass series ended in 2006 but I think that UConn could certainly play UMass and URI more than they do.