ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals

From LP's signature:

Where the dubious distinction of having spots in both basketball and football in the ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals is part of its history.

Verdict: Lie

Another lie from the liar.

Here is the list:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/scandals.html

No BC sports team is in the Top Ten list.

The point shaving scandal - under Fr. Monan and Coach Davis is listed under "also receiving votes".

Why do we continue to engage with someone who is obviously not interested in good faith debate? Why do we continue to engage with someone who constantly lies about Boston College?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Re: ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals

In Response to Re: ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals:
    [QUOTE]In Response to ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals : Gatzie, Give us all a break. This is a REVISED list, as I suspect you know. Both BCI (nee BC) scandals were on the list before its recent revision. Have you NO intellectual honesty?
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

When prey tell would it have been revised? The latest entry is 2002 Olympic medal scandal. There is nothing on there after 2002.

Even if it were revised at some time, the football scandal would have shown up in the "Also receiving votes". It is not even there.

So to review

1. Not in Top 10 at all
    2. Basketball in "others receiving votes"
    3. Football not in either.
    4. No scandals after 2002.
    5. Webpage created in 2002.

You certainly get angry when you get proven to be a liar, don't you?

Once again -the claim that BC was listed in the "Wors Sports Scandals" in the Top Ten is untrue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

LP in case you need more help:

Click on "print" on the article you will clearly see the date on the top:

Monday, February 25, 2002
    Worst sports scandals

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1340223&type=page2Story

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Gatzie,

Good detective work.  While both of those things are black marks on BCs history they are not listed in the top 10 ESPN sports scandals.  Further, neither happened on the watch of GDF or Fr. Leahy, the gang of two as LP calls them.

The trouble with LP is that he does not use precision with his words.  He prefers to choose inflammatory phraseology instead of what would be the most accurate.  A good example is that he finds BCs alumni giving rate abysmal/pathetic.  Yet it is in the top 12% among National Universities.  Most of us would think that would mean all schools that rank behind BC on this metric must have something worse than a pathetic giving rate.

I find his posts intellectually dishonest, something that he accuses you and others of on this board.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

HA, this is hilarious.  The guy gets caught in an all out lie and even when busted he challenges someone elses integrity.

LP, if you have other proof we are all happy to read it, but as usual I suspect you will show us nothing other than your drivel.

I can't stop laughing.

LP, please shorten your profile.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals : This just in from the Gatzie Eats Crow Department:  http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=merron/060207 Read that link and discover which scandals are marked 8 and 9, respectively. Sorry to disappoint you, Gatzie and fans, but I don't make this stuff up. Y'all can now rescind your self-congratulations. And Gatzie, it's time to retract your petulant "liar" accusation, my son.

This proves everything I have ever said about you.

You said that:

"Where the dubious distinction of having spots in both basketball and football in the ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals is part of its history."

BC is not in the list of Sports scandals. That list is here:

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/scandals.html

Now you are correct that BC is in the list of Gambling scandals.

Do you not understand the difference between Sports and Gambling?

Do you not understand that the Gambling scandals are a subset of sports scandals?

The reason people don't respect you is that you lie and exaggerate.

You could have said that BC was on the list of Gambling scandals. But that wasn't good enough for you you had to exagerate it to the Sports scandals.

It's not enough to say that BC does a bad job compared to HC and ND on alumni giving you pronounce it "pathetic", which  is untrue.

It is not enough to say that you didn't like the firing of Coach Jags and Coach Skinner, you have to say that BC fires coaches at a rate that no other school does, which is untrue.

I stand by my earlier statement. You said BC was on the list of ESPN's top Sports Scandals.  It isn't.  That is a lie.

If you want to amend your signature to say that BC is on the list of "Gambling" scandals, I will accept that as your admitance that you previously were not telling the truth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE] And Gatzie, it's time to retract your petulant "liar" accusation, my son.

You said that no school fires coaches at a rate that BC does. Lie.

I have proven this lie many times.

Everytime I proved you were a liar you would try to quantify it. What was the last attempt? "Under one president..." When I proved that was a lie, you stopped responding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I guess I do not understand the relevance of a betting scandal that occurred over 30 years ago has on the integrity of the current administration?  Should we not look to the admin back then and hold them responsible?  Or is this just another failure ot adequately think things thorugh on LP's part and lump evrything to the present admin

BTW LP how do you like the current goings on at ND, with the Pres having to cover for the football coach's decision that cost a kid his life?  Or the sexual assault by a member of the football team that resulted in a young girl's suicide.  Their great giving rate makes up for all of that

or do you not have the testicular fortitude to respond to things like that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals : This proves everything I have ever said about you. You said that: "Where the dubious distinction of having spots in both basketball and football in the ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals is part of its history." BC is not in the list of Sports scandals. That list is here: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/scandals.html Now you are correct that BC is in the list of Gambling scandals. Do you not understand the difference between Sports and Gambling? Do you not understand that the Gambling scandals are a subset of sports scandals? The reason people don't respect you is that you lie and exaggerate. You could have said that BC was on the list of Gambling scandals. But that wasn't good enough for you you had to exagerate it to the Sports scandals. It's not enough to say that BC does a bad job compared to HC and ND on alumni giving you pronounce it "pathetic", which  is untrue. It is not enough to say that you didn't like the firing of Coach Jags and Coach Skinner, you have to say that BC fires coaches at a rate that no other school does, which is untrue. I stand by my earlier statement. You said BC was on the list of ESPN's top Sports Scandals.  It isn't.  That is a lie. If you want to amend your signature to say that BC is on the list of "Gambling" scandals, I will accept that as your admitance that you previously were not telling the truth.
    Posted by JamesGatz1[/QUOTE]

Gatzie, 

You're right - and you're wrong.

The dubious list on which alma mater firmly holds down positions 8 and 9 is neither the Top 10 Sports Scandals, nor the Top 10 Gambling Scandals.

Then what list is it?

The Top 10 Sports Gambling Scandals.

Now if that assuages your angst, that's a good thing.

But if you are an alum of BCI (nee BC), (and, based on your posts, I hope you're not) methinks you may be dismayed by your school being the only one in the country to hold such a "distinction;" that you may be hesitant to assail other schools; and that you may, in your heart of hearts, want to apologize to the old Putter for your childish rant that he is a "liar".

On second thought, you have not apologized for calling me a "bad Catholic" a homosexual, or for falsely alleging that I am wifeless.  Whatever twisted condition moves to  to such slander, I don't know.

But you are what you are - regrettably.

I did not say that no other college had a worst firing record than BCI. I did say - accurately - that with one exception (TOB, who had the foresight to get out of Dodge before The Gang of Two eventually came after him with guns blazing), Dear Leader has either fired or otherwise separated involuntarily EVERY coach in men's hoops and football since he took the helm in 1996.

That's called FACT.

What other schools have done is not relevant. Rather, any coach in those sports considering coming here must realize Dear Leader's strikingly frightening track record - and must ask himself if it's worth the near-certain termination to venture to Chestnut Hill.

Why, do you suppose, that no top-tier coach ever applies here for either of those sports?  Or ever will as long as Dear Leader rules the roost as he does?

Finally, just when are those apologies due to arrive?

Or do "good" Catholics not do that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

All this bad catholic stuff makes me want to quote the following:

"You hypocrite! First remove the beam from your own eye, and then you will see clearly enough to remove the speck from your brother's eye."  Matthew 7:5

You have nothing good to say about BC and consistently smear the school, Fr. Leahy and GDF.  Actually go back and read what  number of us have said.  It is not a perfect place and there is always room for improvement.  It is also a human institution.  You accuse many of us as supporting everything the school does yet ignore the comments where we do not.

As a graduate of BC you need to live by the Jesuit spritual practice of "finding god in all things."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE] I did not say that no other college had a worst firing record than BCI. [/QUOTE]

B-S! Lie! You certainly did.

Forum Post: Re: NC State Game at 10/11/2010 2:55 PM EDT
    In Response to Re: NC State Game : Gatzie, sorry but no cigar - AGAIN: The schools you cite have not FIRED all those coaches. Painful as it may be for you to accept, since 1996, EVERY Football and Basketball Head Coach at Behead Coaches Institute has been fired, except Tom O"Brien and the 3 incumbents. What school has done that in a mere 14 year span? Stumped, huh? And yes, DeFilippo was not the AD when Dan Henning left. That decision was made, apparently, by the Head of the Gang of Two, Dear Leader Leahy. Peace, m'boy.

Forum Post: Re: NC State Game at 10/11/2010 12:17 PM EDT
    In Response to Re: NC State Game : As the once-Jesuit, former priest John McLaughlin says on Sunday morning TV, W R O N G, Gatzie. The number is FIVE  football and hoops coaches beheaded by the Leahy/DeFilippo Gang of Two since 1996: Jim O'Brien Dan Henning Cathy Inglese Coach Jags Al Skinner Put more starkly, the only such coaches who have NOT been fired are Tom O'Brien (who out-smarted the Gang of Two) and the 3 incumbent coaches in both sports: who include Stevie Wonder, who has about a half-year tenure and has yet to play a game, and Spaz who who is in his second year.  Name ONE other school with a comparable savagery record, if you can.  Glad you're not a fact checker for the White House, my man!

Another smear job from LP, the king of untruth and character assasination.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

LP,

I see you still haven't addressed the topic of BC leaving the Big East in the other thread.

You have claimed that Fr. Leahy was untruthful in his dealings with the Big East.

The meeting minutes of 2003 are freely available online.

Fr. Leahy clearly stated that BC was not committed to staying in the Big East.

So where is the lie?

Again - the meeting minutes are freely available. Please refer to them.

But of course, you won't.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Small point to make, Jim OB did not get fired, he quit. 

LP, shorten your profile please.

Bottom line, who cares if we fire coaches.  Most deserved it, and if you believe anything you read it was time for Skinner to go.  The guy refused to recruit, or said another way, he refused to do the single most important thing you need to do as a college coach.

College sports are a business and the sooner you come to grips with that the more enjoyable it becomes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]. Rather, any coach in those sports considering coming here must realize Dear Leader's strikingly frightening track record - and must ask himself if it's worth the near-certain termination to venture to Chestnut Hill. Why, do you suppose, that no top-tier coach ever applies here for either of those sports? 

Nothing better illustrates your bad faith approach to these disucssions that this post.

The University of Pittsburgh just fired a coach with a winning record who is going to a bowl game.

The University of Miami just fired a coach with a winning record who is going to a bowl game.

The University of Minnesota just fired their footbal coach. They have fired every football coach they have had, going back to the 80s.

The University of Notre Dame has fired or forced out every football coach they have had since the 1980s.

The University of Georgia...etc....etc.

I could go on.

But according to you, the are supposedly coaches out there who aren't interested in working at BC because they are afraid of being fired....yet these same coaches - terrified of working at BC because they might get fired....would happily work at Pitt, Miami, Notre Dame...etc.....even though those places have fired coaches with winning records?

That kind of thinking goes beyond any kind of logic and can only be attributed to deep seated bias.

It is simply beyond absurd to say that coaches won't work at BC because they are afraid of being fired yet those same coaches have no compunction about working at Pitt, Minnesota, Miami, West Point, Georgia, etc....as those schools have fired more coaches than Boston College!

At no point during the hiring process of Coach Donahue or Coach Spaz (or Coach Jags) did any commentator declare that one of the problems BC had with attracting coaches was that the fear that they might be fired. It never happened.

As coach Jags said in the NY Daily News: ""There are only two types of coaches, those who have been fired and those who will be."

You are not interested in having a good faith discussion about the merits of the BC athletic program.  You are only interested in smears and character assasination and your strange, deranged obsession with Fr. Leahy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

James Gatz -
    Excellent work!
    Keep it up and continue to expose putter for the fraud that he is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Gatzie wrote.

"It is simply beyond absurd to say that coaches won't work at BC because they are afraid of being fired yet those same coaches have no compunction about working at Pitt, Minnesota, Miami, West Point, Georgia, etc....as those schools have fired more coaches than Boston College!"

QUESTION:

What top-level coach applied here for head coach in men's hoops or football since Dear Leader established his pattern of coach jettisoning?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

WHAT??  That's your comeback, asking which coaches applied for the job?  You realize coaches don't really apply, they are recruited, right?

And no one is saying that BC is the top place to end up coaching, we know full well that we are at times used as a stepping stone.  However, no coach says NO to BC because they are worried about getting fired.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Thanks for answering Momort.

I just couldn't deal with LP's ignorance.

I was actually dumbfounded at his question as he does truly seem to believe that coaches "apply" to openings as if it were a cashier's job at Wal-Mart.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

I really do get mad at myself for even engaging him.  It's one thing to have an opinion that goes against the grain but have an open mind.  This guy hates BC and as such he will never ever admit to anything positive BC.  So why bother.  He hates BC, we get it.  He won't shorten his profile because he's a bitter toad, we get it.  We need to stop wasting our energy on him. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]I really do get mad at myself for even engaging him.  It's one thing to have an opinion that goes against the grain but have an open mind.  This guy hates BC and as such he will never ever admit to anything positive BC.  So why bother.  He hates BC, we get it.  He won't shorten his profile because he's a bitter toad, we get it.  We need to stop wasting our energy on him. 
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

I am pretty much done with him. I am going to click "Ignore" as he seems immune from facts or is just trolling. No rational, knowledgeable person can believe that BC fires coaches at any rate above what is the norm for college sports.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

momort wrote:

"WHAT??  That's your comeback, asking which coaches applied for the job?  You realize coaches don't really apply, they are recruited, right?"

Son, if that's your impression of how college athletics work, you are in error.

Sure, some coaching candidates are solicited by the institution.

Others, however, apply for the job.

Trust me. I know what of I speak on that one.

That notwithstanding, can you cite even ONE top level head coach (football or men's hoops) at another place who either applied for or otherwise expressed interest incoming to Chestnut Hill since Dear Leader took over here?

Why is that, do you think?  

And, for the umpteenth time, I do NOT "hate" alma mater. Rather, I wish it were the honorable place it was when Father Monan (and his predecessors) were at the helm.

And the minute it returns to that posture (likely with a new Pres), I'll defer to no one in advancing its cause.

Why is that? Because I want my alma mater to be in fact what it now misleadingly holds itself out to the world as being: i.e. a school which lives by the Catholic principles it publicly preaches.

Peace.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssn710eagle. Show ssn710eagle's posts

HAHA! Man, talk about a good laugh helping at the end of a rough day!

Yeah Momort, LP really "knows what [he] speaks of on this one"! So you have no reason to question it any further.  The authority has spoken! 

Let me get this straight LP:  You want BC to fire its president so it can start "living by Catholic principles" again, and your base arguments include the following:
    -GDF/Fr L's athletics department is a nest of serpents. The proof: scandals that happened on Fr M's watch.
    -BC is ONLY better than 88% of National Universities in terms of alumni giving rate. 
    -BC BEHEADS coaches at a rate of ~.42 times the rate of ND (in fb and men's bball)
    -Coach K didn't apply for the BC head coaches job when Al was let go (because great coaches with great programs always apply for jobs at other schools!) 
    -They can't sell out Conte and Alumni every week during the deepest recession since the Great Depression.

Oh and you also once said I was lying about being on active duty when you thought I wasn't reading this page anymore.  "that guy pretending to be in the military was found to be a fake"  I believe you said.  But you're a dirtbag so you deleted it, so there is no longer proof. (I don't believe boston.com censures anything on this site so I believe LP has removed every post of his that disappeared, just my opinion)

And you won't shorten your signature even though it makes you look like an absolute fool.

Oh yeah and you compare a clergyman in good standing to Kim Jong Il, perhaps Satan's favorite man alive.  Furthermore, don't play dumb; when you call someone "dear leader" (the english translation of Kim Jong Il's title in all official DPRK media) you are comparing him to Kim Jong Il, period. the link to a basic google search doesn't turn up much else: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=dear+leader&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssn710eagle. Show ssn710eagle's posts

If your opinion is BC should fire Fr Leahy, say it.  You call others spineless then engage in a spineless rhetorical trick so that later on you can claim you didn't want Fr Leahy fired, just to keep the dialogue on your terms. To reiterate: using a parenthetical "(likely with a new President)" to describe the conditions when you will blissfully shut up, is both juvenile and cowardly.  If you believe the best chance you have is to resort to rhetorical trickery vice honesty, the only plausible explanation is you know you have a very weak argument to begin with.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

LP, no one knows who "applys" for a coaching job because at the time they apply (or are solicited) they HAVE CURRENT JOBS.  And often their current school doesn't like that.  It's what happened with Jags.  Tom OB spent 4 years trying to get another job and he finally did and left.  Then comes Jags, who in the offseason asked for and received a raise and contract extension.  In return BC made him say he was here for the long term and he wouldn't look for another job.  Then he did, and BC said if you interview you are gone.  He interviewed with fully knowing where BC stood.  There was no back stabbing or surprise here.  It's how it works.

That said, I want you to find out if you can who "applied" for the Florida football job.  One of the top jobs in the sport was open, so all the top coaches must have applied, right?  So who were they?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

And LP, I don't trust you on what you know as ssnEagle says.  If you have inside knowledge spill it, but otherwise you know no more than the rest of us.