Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : Here's why you're a moron. You claim to average about 11 posts a month. I did a quick check and I counted 12 just from today! You claim most are about uconn and you don't obsess about BC. Nearly every one of your posts is about BC or BC fans Just admit it and your life will be easier  - you have an unhealthy obsession with all things related to BC And I won't leave because I truly enjoy pointing out the extreme stupidity of the BC haters on this board, most of whom are uconn fans
    Posted by ScreenNameGoesHere[/QUOTE]

While you talk about obsession, too bad screen name you were rejected at UND!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

OK let me explain to you my viewpoint on the odds.  This differs from your simplified view of them but you can think of me as an imbecile

The relevant number are not the programs with the sport 59 and 344.  There are a number of bad programs in each sport such as  the year BC is having which we know and have been told about incessantly.

Even you will admit that not every school has a chance to win the championship and you do not have to go through 344 schools to reach it.  Odds are set on the likely contenders (the 12-16 I referred to).  UCONN 3/1 KY 4/2 etc.  Of the 344 programs about 4.5% have a realistic chance to win.

To have a chance though they must reach the 68 invited to March Madness.  Even here, a qualitative factor must be applied based upon the view of a team's schedule, players etc, so it is not a matter of long divison to arrive at the odds.  The top teams also have games against softer teams until they get to the round of 16. 

In the Frozen Four the number of legit contenders is 7-8 in D1 which is about 14% of the total; with a flight of 16 teams you have maybe one game before you come up against that legit contender.  you also have seen these contenders more during the year with the smaller population.  For instance BC has played 12 games against top 10 teams this year.  From a regular season standpoint that is an  incredibly competitive schedule.

So in my opinion, this is not a simple matter of long division but understanding the dynamics of each tourney.

This is also an interesting read about how tough it is
    http://www.uscho.com/2012/02/23/jerry-york-and-a-remarkable-string-of-success-at-boston-college/

I also feel that UCONN would add to the ACC and not just in hoop but in the non-revenue sports.  Unfortunately Blumenthal decided to put this into the political arena (like the gov of VA) and it got personal.  He is now a US Senator and probably after Lieberman retires the state's most prominent politican.

GDF also convinced two other schools to vote against UCONN in this instance; regrettable but I think he wants an apology for the naming of he and his boss in this suit.  Not going to happen but I think the pride on both sides will continue to prevail

so that is my imbecile's view for better or worse

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Dantley joins Notre Dame's Ring of Honor!

Cooley Powers No. 20 Irish Past Providence, 75-69!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Miami was a killer and BC quite on Donahue ... Cowards on the Court, quitters with no direction, simply out done by a big and powerful strong forward. BC lilly white boys from prep school 101 that have no business being in Division 1 collegiate basketball!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Coincidentally, a funny little survey announcement from our multiple posting entity's favorite righty paper:

‘Hotness’ measured in degrees at BU, BC.

A funny comment about ND in there...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]Dantley joins Notre Dame's Ring of Honor! Cooley Powers No. 20 Irish Past Providence, 75-69! Forward puts up a career-high 27 points and 17 rebounds in the win.
    Posted by UofNDKing[/QUOTE]

HA!  I love it, this jerk won't respond when taunted about ND losses, no cut n paste, nothing.  Then they win a game and BAM he's back with his magical ND articles.  If I know anything about people on these message boards, I know that NDQueen has never, ever once in his life played at a serious competitive level of sports.  Not a chance.  No one who acts like that ever actually had the ability to compete at a high level. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : You still believe any of this chitown?  losing by 30 to Wake is really a bad sign as Wake is the 2nd worst team in the ACC.  I still believe it comes down to recruiting in-state as Mass. has some great prep school and solid kids in this state that other programs are cherry picking.  Why is BC not even on the lost for Nerlens Noel a local kid from Everett?  This kid is a game changer and a program changer. 
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    Very interesting article about the recruiting/selling of Nerlens Noel in Sunday's NY Times: "Everybody Wants a Piece of Nerlens Noel."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/sports/ncaabasketball/everybody-wants-a-piece-of-nerlens-noel.html

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle78. Show Eagle78's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : good read!  he even has a brother at BC!  I get it though, to compete with the massive programs like syracuse, Uconn, G'town...  bringing Noel in may take more than just a scholarship offer.  Some recruits are game changers and even program changers.  Sad to not even see BC in the mix for this local kid?  He obviously doesn't mind crappy weather (See Syracuse and uconn) so why isn't BC in the mix for this kid?   They play in a solid conference (especially when Cuse joins the ACC) so how can't they sell a visit to this kid?  I know large schools take care of prixed recruits families and AAU coaches or whatever is important to the kid.  Hypothetical question, wouldn't it be worth it for Donahue to give an asst coach job to his AAU coach or have BC hire his mom for a no-show (similar to most Gov't jobs) job to get this kid?  Even from a numbers standpoint (Conte would be packed, increasing revenue), this kid would bring in other better recruits who want to play with him which would make BC relevant.  This is the gray area that big time programs play in (Kansas does this, UNC does this, Duke, Uconn, etc...).
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]

Donnnn, you raise a very good issue here regarding CBB recruiting.  I do believe that a lot of CBB recruiting is - as you say - in the "grey" area for a lot of schools.  Interestingly, despite some recent high profile cases in CFB - today's UNC news being a case in point - this seems to be much less interwoven into the fabric of CFB recruiting.  IMO, the reason for this is the sheer volume of scholarships for CFB and the processes needed to land a class of anywhere from 15-25 players each year.

As you point out, CBB is different.  One or two players can be "game changers" and when your focus is on just a few guys each year, this is where, IMO, this stuff you refer to comes into play.

I just don't see BC going down this path, which, I agree will hurt them competitively.  Doesn't mean that they won't enjoy successful teams in any given year, but they will be less likely to get to the level of sustained, elite success like the schools you mentioned.

As I said, FB is a different story.

FWIW, this one of the reasons I am growing disinterested in CBB.  IMO, what we are starting to see is that the CBB programs are becoming nothing more than a 1-2 year "readiness league" for the NBA.  With the best players only playing a year or two for college teams, I think this will have a longer-term negative impact on CBB and will hurt the game in the long run.  (I also think that players who know they are only going to be around for 1-2 years and never graduate are far less likely to focus on academics which also hurts these programs, as we have seen.)

BTW, for what its worth, I am really encouraged by the turn this thread has taken.  I really enjoy the back and forth of ideas and opinions as opposed to what we were all doing before!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : Donnnn again is like that east & west willow tree, depending on the forecast he can't decide which direction he's going?  Now that UCONN has messed with his fragile head, he'll keep on trying, but whoever posts last he'll agree. Makes me wonder if he supports Mit Romney?  
    Posted by whr[/QUOTE]

Bored with BC plight, Eagle 78 is playing teacher with Donnnn and he doesn't know he's being made an A** of?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : not sure how but ok...  listen I am a sports fan from CT living in the Boston area and I watch a lot of games (as much Uconn as I can and some BC).  I have never waivered that BC hoops is on a road to nowhere and I brought up what is common in major hoops programs and what BC isn't doing right.  I think Eagle is right that BC won't play in this gray area and this will always hurt the basketball product.  I also agree that you don't want one and done'ers for the whole team as you end up recruiting all day and night (kentucky).  So am I "waivering" because I think Eagle is right about BC not going after any one and done talent?  Must I insult him personally because his stance on BC?  That is the path they (BC) wants to travel and I have no problem with it but personally I would rather see BC relevant in hoops/football as I often go to the games and wish they would participate in this gray area.  My favorite team is Uconn but after that, I always enjoy watching the best teams play in any sport.  BC used to have solid football and I liked watching them play but lately that is not the case.  Maybe you 2 are offended because I admit Uconn plays in this gray area but any objective person would already know Uconn does this.  They have to in order to compete with the other big programs that do this already.  I do think Calhoun being so outspoken makes the perfect NCAA whipping boy for any examples to be made but I don't agree with the NCAA philosophy on that one either.  I wouldn't trade Calhoun or his comments/tirades for any other coach in the country. As for BC participating in this gray area, Jim O'Brien wanted to play in this area but he was eventually shown the door and Skinner just wanted to still play hoops during the day and be home for supper every night.  Why are you and WHR offended by this?  I still think BC hoops is awful and until they can start recruiting big time talent, this team will be tough to watch.  Perhaps I'm being nicer about explaining my point but simply writing insults is a bit boring unless the comments are warranted (see responses to Lothar).
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports :
    Posted by LOTHAR43[/QUOTE]

Donnnnnnnn: sooooo glad your "lucky" wife managed to slip the Zoloft into your meals - you're almost starting to sound like there's a bit of calmness in your life! Keep ignoring me - if it's the little things in your mind that make you better, I'm glad to be your verbal punching bag.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : not sure how but ok...  listen I am a sports fan from CT living in the Boston area and I watch a lot of games (as much Uconn as I can and some BC).  I have never waivered that BC hoops is on a road to nowhere and I brought up what is common in major hoops programs and what BC isn't doing right.  I think Eagle is right that BC won't play in this gray area and this will always hurt the basketball product.  I also agree that you don't want one and done'ers for the whole team as you end up recruiting all day and night (kentucky).  So am I "waivering" because I think Eagle is right about BC not going after any one and done talent?  Must I insult him personally because his stance on BC?  That is the path they (BC) wants to travel and I have no problem with it but personally I would rather see BC relevant in hoops/football as I often go to the games and wish they would participate in this gray area.  My favorite team is Uconn but after that, I always enjoy watching the best teams play in any sport.  BC used to have solid football and I liked watching them play but lately that is not the case.  Maybe you 2 are offended because I admit Uconn plays in this gray area but any objective person would already know Uconn does this.  They have to in order to compete with the other big programs that do this already.  I do think Calhoun being so outspoken makes the perfect NCAA whipping boy for any examples to be made but I don't agree with the NCAA philosophy on that one either.  I wouldn't trade Calhoun or his comments/tirades for any other coach in the country. As for BC participating in this gray area, Jim O'Brien wanted to play in this area but he was eventually shown the door and Skinner just wanted to still play hoops during the day and be home for supper every night.  Why are you and WHR offended by this?  I still think BC hoops is awful and until they can start recruiting big time talent, this team will be tough to watch.  Perhaps I'm being nicer about explaining my point but simply writing insults is a bit boring unless the comments are warranted (see responses to Lothar).
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    You're a UConn fan - a BC hater - disparage UMass - have you ever posted a word about anyother CT sports team college or pro? You're priveleged to live in the greatest sports city in America . I'm betting that you walk around with a Whalers shirt on.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

IGn Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : While you talk about obsession, too bad screen name you were rejected at UND!

Good post SNGHere

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

SYRACUSE BASKETBALL #1 SEED, AND HEADED TO THE ACC, IS A SCAM OF  A PROGRAM!
    THIS ONCE PROUD UNIVERSITY, NOW THE PITS IN FOOTBALL, COMES TO A NEW ALL TIME LOW, A CHARLATAN IN BASKETBALL!

Could BC be far behind?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : Donnnnnnnn: sooooo glad your "lucky" wife managed to slip the Zoloft into your meals - you're almost starting to sound like there's a bit of calmness in your life! Keep ignoring me - if it's the little things in your mind that make you better, I'm glad to be your verbal punching bag.
    Posted by LOTHAR43[/QUOTE]

I think your on Oxy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : I think your on Oxy!

Which oxy your highness? The oxyMORON of your anti-everbody posts or the oxy-CONTIN of your dopey posts? Just sayin' ..............

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : I think your on Oxy!

Oh, yeah -- it's YOU'RE! Thanks for spell check ... not that I use it all that often!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

What we need is for LOTHAR 43, and MO to come out of the closet and rebuff abuse which they’re familiar. Abuse also extends to public sporting forums where their posts are invective!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]What we need is for LOTHAR 43, and MO to come out of the closet and rebuff  abuse which they’re familiar. Abuse also extends to public sporting forums where their posts are invective!  
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

What's really needed is for CHEE to step into the light and stop using invectives such as "come out of the closet"  are you a man, or are you a Muppett?