Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports

Perhaps clown you need to keep abreast of the following instead of following losers all your life, as Ever to (lose), and it's inept Athletic Department. For some more insight into a first class Universitity, with a $6.3 billion endowment (6 X BC's) ... I give you the 2012 Universtiy of Notre Dame Basketball program to get that hard wood in your little closet:

four times this season, including in two of the last four contests.

BIG EAST BIG MAN

• Junior forward Jack Cooley is first among all BIG EAST players in shooting percentage for all games (.621) and league games only (.619). He is 38-for-52 (.731) from the field in the last five games.
    • In BIG EAST play, Cooley ranks second among all league players with a 10.4 rpg. average. He is averaging a league-best 4.6 offensive rebounds per game in BIG EAST play.
    • He ranks fifth in the BIG EAST with a 9.2 rpg. average this season (all games). That includes 3.9 offensive boards per game, which ranks second in the league. He is averaging 1.6 blocked shots per game, which ranks sixth among all BIG EAST players.
    • On Monday, Cooley was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll for a team-best fifth time this season. He also was named the league's player of the week on Feb. 13.

GRANT HAS ALL-AROUND GAME

• Sophomore guard Jerian Grant scored a game-high 20 points on Wednesday against West Virginia. He was 8-for-11 from the field, including 4-for-5 from three-point range. The four treys were a career-high total. That was his fourth 20-plus point effort of the season (second in BIG EAST play).
    • Grant's current nine-game double-figuring scoring streak is the best such streak for any Notre Dame player this season. He has scored in double-figures a team-best 23 times this season.
    • Grant, who is in his first season playing with the Irish after sitting out all of last season, has team-high totals in points (367), assists (136), steals (36) and minutes played (993). His 48 made three-pointers also are a team-high total.
    • He ranks seventh nationally - and first in the BIG EAST - with a 2.8 assist-to-turnover ratio. His 5.3 assist-per-game average in BIG EAST play ranks sixth in the league. He matched a career-high assist total with nine last Saturday against Villanova.
    • Grant is shooting a team-best 80.8% (101-125) from the free throw line this season. That mark ranks ninth among all BIG EAST players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fukowi. Show Fukowi's posts

In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports:
    [QUOTE]I will answer as objectively as I can.   The teams have to be relevant again and it ALL starts with recruiting.   I know the BC line is to say their athletes need to be top notch students but as we see with Stanford football and Harvard hoops, you can’t use that as an excuse as those schools are much better academically yet compete on a national level.   Boston is a wonderful town to live in and should be an attractive option for kids but at BC losing begets losing and the kids want no part of it.   You have to ask yourself why Uconn in hoops is a national mecca for talent (while being a rural school) yet can attract more talent than BC?   Why is that?   Coaching is a big part of it, history of sending impact players to the professional ranks, playing in front of a rabid fanbase and most of all winning.   The kids want to be part of winning teams.         So let’s use this paper to compare to Uconn basketball and how BC can try to mimic what happened there.   I know BC fans may cringe reading this but be open minded and think how Uconn is a national contender year after year as they rose from a spot where BC currently is (doormat in a good league).   When Uconn went to the BE, at first they struggled but eventually became a power.   A lot of big hoop recruits turned the tide at Uconn to play in the middle of nowhere for a fiery new coach in Coach Calhoun.   Some can say the reason Uconn turned relevant was when the Israeli guys came (Hennefield and Scheffer) or Tate George or Cliff Robinson.   I think and so does Calhoun the turnaround came when Chris Smith (Bridgeport, CT) a highly decorated IN-State recruit chose Uconn instead of leaving the state to play at a traditional national power.   This started a trend with national recruits that Uconn has a good thing going and a good place to play.   The point is to keep the good recruits in-state and build a base.   Uconn lately has been stealing any Mass talent that comes around (Oriakhi, Napier, Jeff Adrien and Coombs-McDaniel when he played was a big recruit).     Now Massachusetts has some very good high school basketball talent especially with the prep schools in New England yet they can’t capitalize.   Nerlens Noel is a game changer recruit and from Everett, Mass and he won’t even look at BC (Kentucky, Syracuse and Uconn are a few he is seriously considering).   You have to ask yourself if the BC contingent feels BC is a great place to be, why aren’t the in-state recruits feeling that also?     How can’t you sell recruits on playing in the ACC and the opportunity to play the likes of Duke and NC and soon to be Syracuse?     That is what Calhoun said about the BE when he started and the kids responded.      Some things you can’t change like the weather and having big time pro sports but recruiting has to be a priority and the latest round of kids at BC just aren’t good enough for the ACC or national attention.   I also think when BC made a big stink about Uconn joining the ACC that was a big mistake.   Why be afraid of the best and why be afraid of competition?   You don’t think having a good rivalry with BC and Uconn would be a lot of fun?   That was a sad and petty move by DeFlippo.
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]

As a BC fan I basically agree with most of this.  I also agree that Smith was instrumental for UConn. Winning is the key and to get there you need to recruit your first "turn the corner" type of recruit and take advantage by winning and building on it.  This is very difficult to do, however, without a super salesman at the helm.  UConn was hugely fortunate to get such a guy in Coach Calhoun.  I also think its more important for a state school like UConn to start landing great in state players.  For a school like BC, the analogous situation for them ought to be making it a priority to land some of the best Catholic high school kids in the Northeast from the big urban Catholic high school basketball powers.  California is great but BC's bread and butter should be at places like Rice and Saint Raymonds in NYC.  It remains to be seen whether Coach Donahue can be half of what Calhoun was in terms of recruiting.  The only thing I disagreed with was the view that BC is afraid of playing UConn.  It has nothing to do with competition and almost everything to do with the UConn lawsuit.  While most of the UConn instigators have since gone elsewhere,  almost all of those impacted at BC and the ACC (e.g., as defendants sued in their personal capacities and slimed publicly by Blumenthal) are still in the same place.  If you were ever engaged in a contentious divorce, sued by your wife and then slimed by her lawyer - you might better appreciate the situation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : As a BC fan I basically agree with most of this.  I also agree that Smith was instrumental for UConn. Winning is the key and to get there you need to recruit your first "turn the corner" type of recruit and take advantage by winning and building on it.  This is very difficult to do, however, without a super salesman at the helm.  UConn was hugely fortunate to get such a guy in Coach Calhoun.  I also think its more important for a state school like UConn to start landing great in state players.  For a school like BC, the analogous situation for them ought to be making it a priority to land some of the best Catholic high school kids in the Northeast from the big urban Catholic high school basketball powers.  California is great but BC's bread and butter should be at places like Rice and Saint Raymonds in NYC.  It remains to be seen whether Coach Donahue can be half of what Calhoun was in terms of recruiting.  The only thing I disagreed with was the view that BC is afraid of playing UConn.  It has nothing to do with competition and almost everything to do with the UConn lawsuit.  While most of the UConn instigators have since gone elsewhere,  almost all of those impacted at BC and the ACC (e.g., as defendants sued in their personal capacities and slimed publicly by Blumenthal) are still in the same place.  If you were ever engaged in a contentious divorce, sued by your wife and then slimed by her lawyer - you might better appreciate the situation.
    Posted by Fukowi[/QUOTE]

WAKE FOREST HUMILIATES BC AGAIN!

Just how bad is this Boston College team under Donahue’s stewardship?

Disgusting.

With 6 days to put in order their 0-8 road record, from the Duke humiliation, BC get’s smoked in Winston Salem, NC by a bottom dweller in the ACC. How bad is BC, it’s the lowest ranked team in collegiate basketball where degradation on the road seems to be a way of life under Donahue’s stewardship.

Let there be no more rants of turning it around, cynicism about other Universities, BC is just simply appalling. The BC athletic department should take a good look in the mirror, where it should see thrashings upon thrashings on each reflection.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Luckily, chi probably finished that paper and has blown off the thread so the decline and degradation doesn't matter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

well one thing that was confirmed is that dconn is an internet bully

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

College sports are what they are in the Northeast, a few people are hardcore fans, but the majority of the population don’t care or watch the best games from the Big 10, SEC or are Notre Dame fans.  The only way to gain a following is prolonged success like Syracuse and UConn basketball.  Rutgers had the Ray Rice years where they gained popularity, then lost it, UMass had the Cal years and then lost it.

As far as I can tell BC has had a huge marketing campaign this year (although with unfortunate timing with regard to football and basketball), with banner ads on Boston.com, radio ads on the SportsHub and EEI, and billboards.

In my opinion in college sports in the Northeast you are in the title hunt or you do not exist and I don’t really think there is anything that can be done to change it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitown chicity. Show chitown chicity's posts

out of curiosity- as far as the alums on this thread are concerned- do most of the alums share the same attitude about the admins rush to grab money for the school? is that the common source of alumni frustration? have you voiced your concerns with the administration? if we want all of this to change then we need to be vocal with what we want

i agree with minutemen. i think the only way for BC to generate a solid subway alumni following is with continued success. they can take a lot of steps to help their cause, like marketing and an improved gameday experience, but the bottom line is wins. why follow boston college football and basketball who dont win while you can follow the pats and celtics? 

is it true that the boston area got behind BC football in the early 90s? around when they beat #1 ranked ND? ive heard some chatter about that on various threads. it would make sense because the pats werent very good then. why did this support stop if it existed?

another thing to consider, is college hockey. would it make sense for channels like ESPN (1, 2, or 3) to start airing college hockey a regular basis? would people even watch it outside of new england? that could increase exposure for BC (as well as other big HE schools like BU). 

how has uconn NOT developed its mens hockey team? its such an obvious move to make, even more so than BC and mens lax. theyd be a natural fit in HE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmathuna. Show tmathuna's posts

The BC Alumni Association has been taken over by the development office. At one time the BCAA assisted classes in organizing events, now every event is organized with a 'donate to BC' theme....BC has made no effort to hide this...As far as how much support they once had; 20,000 people from Boston went to the Cotton Bowl…it was the largest ‘air lift’ out of Boston since WWII…yea, BC had a following.  The CBS and NBC cable sport stations are starting to cover college hockey and I think that will satisfy most in the hockey world…ESPN maybe a stretch (although they did televise the Beanpot a few times). BC needs to reach out to its alumni and area fans and make a huge mea culpa ( it is Lent) before they come back….winning will help, no doubt, but a lot of damage has been done and no one at BC cares. Every time the seat fee comes up they say only a small percent of the seats are affected….it affected a lot of long standing loyal fans….they just do not get it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

Would be nice to see ya'all down here in Daytona, but this inclement weather is not kind to us NASCAR buffs. However, I believe ya'all have been taken some hard hits coming down to Dixie in B ball. Might I suggest some time off this ol' blog for some more important aspects of ya' lives. Spending a day being thankful BC doesn't need to compete in the SEC come spring ball time. Mighty talented Seminole team coming up in the ACC come fall. With this economic down turn, hopefully the employment will pick up, as you boys certainly have allot of time on your hands!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : WAKE FOREST HUMILIATES BC AGAIN ! Just how bad is this Boston College team under Donahue’s stewardship? Disgusting. With 6 days to put in order their 0-8 road record, from the Duke humiliation, BC get’s smoked in Winston Salem, NC by a bottom dweller in the ACC. How bad is BC, it’s the lowest ranked team in collegiate basketball where degradation on the road seems to be a way of life under Donahue’s stewardship. Let there be no more rants of turning it around, cynicism about other Universities, BC is just simply appalling. The BC athletic department should take a good look in the mirror, where it should see thrashings upon thrashings on each reflection.
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

My Kentucky Wild Cats are strong, and in Lexington where I did my bivouac training  we'all at Ft. Campbell never underestimated a Wild Cat team. As this Yankee from NJ, Calapari has this team road running to the Championship round and will not denied.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]The BC Alumni Association has been taken over by the development office. At one time the BCAA assisted classes in organizing events, now every event is organized with a 'donate to BC' theme....BC has made no effort to hide this...As far as how much support they once had; 20,000 people from Boston went to the Cotton Bowl…it was the largest ‘air lift’ out of Boston since WWII…yea, BC had a following.   The CBS and NBC cable sport stations are starting to cover college hockey and I think that will satisfy most in the hockey world…ESPN maybe a stretch (although they did televise the Beanpot a few times). BC needs to reach out to its alumni and area fans and make a huge mea culpa ( it is Lent) before they come back….winning will help, no doubt, but a lot of damage has been done and no one at BC cares. Every time the seat fee comes up they say only a small percent of the seats are affected….it affected a lot of long standing loyal fans….they just do not get it.
    Posted by tmathuna[/QUOTE]
    The appeal of college hockey is pretty much limited to the northeast and upper midwest. I don't know how it would sell in other areas of the country. I agree that the seat fee is a huge issue. I've kept my basketball season tickets, because I'm still hoping to see a Final Four team in my lifetime. The excuse they use for seat licensing is that other schools do it, but the situation here is unique. This is not Tobacco Road. But I also think that winning teams will bring back the fans. For basketball, it's been a series of ups and downs. Back in the 60s under Bob Cousy there was a fanatical following, but the program declined after he retired until Tom Davis and Gary Williams revived it again by winning in the 80s. Jim O'Brien had a shaky start (by the way, he was chosen over Jim Calhoun, who desperately wanted the BC job) but O'Brien eventually got the team to the Great Eight. After he left under a cloud, Al Skinner was brought in and again, after a slow start, built a winning program, but lost favor and was terminated. Now we're starting over again with Coach Donahue. There's an obvious need for continuity, a commitment to winning, and some sort of honest effort to rebuild faith with the loyal fans who have become disillusioned over the years. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : My Kentucky Wild Cats are strong, and in Lexington where I did my bivouac training  we'all at Ft. Campbell never underestimated a Wild Cat team. As this Yankee from NJ, Calapari has this team road running to the Championship round and will not denied.  
    Posted by 82ndAB[/QUOTE]
    Congratulations. And your point on this discussion is  . . . ?????

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

glad your perception about Calhoun is correct in my eyes

in fact kids may want to come to a school if they see the opportunity to play rather than sit.  BC will never get the one and done Coch calipari kid and I think if you asked most would be ok with that

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : You still believe any of this chitown?  losing by 30 to Wake is really a bad sign as Wake is the 2nd worst team in the ACC.  I still believe it comes down to recruiting in-state as Mass. has some great prep school and solid kids in this state that other programs are cherry picking.  Why is BC not even on the lost for Nerlens Noel a local kid from Everett?  This kid is a game changer and a program changer. 
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    In-state recruiting is more of an issue for UMass - THE state university - than it is for BC. And BC has had some success recruiting in state - Dana Barros, the Curley brothers, Dwan Chandler, Brian Ross, Steve Haley, Craig Smith (prepped in MA) Jermaine Watson, Chris Herren, Scoonie Penn, and Dennis Clifford. One issue that resulted in Jim O'Brien's departure happened after the 1997 season when O'Brien got into a conflict with admissions director John Mahoney over the recruiting of three, or it may have been four, local players. The bottom line is they weren't admitted and Jonathan DePina went to UMass, Elton Tyler went to Miami, and prize recruit Michael Bradley, angry over what happened to his to AAU pals, went to Villanova after first signing with Kentucky, while Penn followed O'Brien to Ohio State. The result was a PR nightmare that has left a sour taste with local players that still lingers. As for Noel, he'll end up at UK and play one year.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

As for the one and done discussion, it's just an example of a handful of coaches willing to take advantage of the NBA policy requiring one year of ball after high school.  It's an "on the edge" way to run a program but a few schools are winning games with it.  The NCAA should face facts and identify these players as "staff" rather than "student".  The NBA should fund the payroll and treat it as a minor league.

I don't see BC doing it, and I am unsure if UConn has ever done it (intentionally at least, in both cases).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : In-state recruiting is more of an issue for UMass - THE state university - than it is for BC. And BC has had some success recruiting in state - Dana Barros, the Curley brothers, Dwan Chandler, Brian Ross, Steve Haley, Craig Smith (prepped in MA) Jermaine Watson, Chris Herren, Scoonie Penn, and Dennis Clifford. One issue that resulted in Jim O'Brien's departure happened after the 1997 season when O'Brien got into a conflict with admissions director John Mahoney over the recruiting of three, or it may have been four, local players. The bottom line is they weren't admitted and Jonathan DePina went to UMass, Elton Tyler went to Miami, and prize recruit Michael Bradley, angry over what happened to his to AAU pals, went to Villanova after first signing with Kentucky, while Penn followed O'Brien to Ohio State. The result was a PR nightmare that has left a sour taste with local players that still lingers. As for Noel, he'll end up at UK and play one year.
    Posted by indians1948[/QUOTE]

That's what it's all about you fool. You simply don't undersatnd BC get's the scrubs from the bottom of the barrel. Dana Barrows, Penn, Craig Smith, the Curley brothers all busts in the NBA!  Talk basketball talk Kansas, KY,OSU, and Duke ,not BC ... enjoy watching the 2012 Dance with your "sweetboys" from the outside in!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : That's what it's all about you fool. You simply don't undersatnd BC get's the scrubs from the bottom of the barrel. Dana Barrows, Penn, Craig Smith, the Curley brothers all busts in the NBA!  Talk basketball talk Kansas, KY,OSU, and Duke ,not BC ... enjoy watching the 2012 Dance with your "sweetboys" from the outside in!
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

uconn FAILS AGAIN!!!

Down by 14 points with 12:30 to play, the Providence Friars looked well on their way to yet another Big East loss. Then lightning struck and the Connecticut Huskies couldn't do much to stop it.
    Led by the red-hot 3-point shooting of Bryce Cotton, the Friars ripped off a 26-5 run that turned the game in their favor. The Friars led 69-61 with a minute left after a miraculous 3-pointer from LaDontae Henton but needed to sweat out a 72-70 victory
    UConn (17-12 and 7-10) is now on life support for the NCAA Tournament.

http://news.providencejournal.com/sports/college/2012/02/senior-night-for-junior-bilal-dixon.html

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

So now not only is Uconn terrible at football they are always a declining hoops program.  Very nice....

(and who do I sound like???)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ideas to Expand/Improve BC Sports : My Kentucky Wild Cats are strong, and in Lexington where I did my bivouac training  we'all at Ft. Campbell never underestimated a Wild Cat team. As this Yankee from NJ, Calapari has this team road running to the Championship round and will not denied.  
    Posted by 82ndAB[/QUOTE]

This is a BC board, no one cares. 

25. This post has been removed.