More schools should be like uconn

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

More schools should be like uconn

Take Kemba Walker for example. Great player and an equally great student who will graduate in THREE YEARS!

Here's how uconn turns out so many great student athletes.
    Walker admiited he was an average student in high school and had trouble making the transition to college. So he challenged his academic advisor to come up with a plan to let him graduate in THREE YEARS. Perfectly reasonable for an average student who had trouble making the transition to college!

First assignment read a book as part of an independent study class (translation - just read a book and you don't have to go to any classes)
    Take some online classes, and we'll also give you credit for a bogus internship working for the NBA team that drafts you.

As proof that uconn ranks up there with all the best academic institutions in the world, Walker had this to say after he completed his reading assignment.
    "It is the first book I've ever read"

I'm not making this up.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/29758/kemba-walker-recently-read-his-first-book

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

Re: More schools should be like uconn

I think this is more of a case that more college basketball players should take graduating as serious as Kemba Walker.  UConn is a great school, but any school will let a student challenge himself (or herself) in the classroom.  So  may players that are going to the NBA completely blow off the spring semister, kill their gpa and leave in poor academic standing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

In Response to Re: More schools should be like uconn:
    [QUOTE]I think this is more of a case that more college basketball players should take graduating as serious as Kemba Walker.  UConn is a great school, but any school will let a student challenge himself (or herself) in the classroom.  So  may players that are going to the NBA completely blow off the spring semister, kill their gpa and leave in poor academic standing.
    Posted by Minutemen429[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute.  Are you saying that a COLLEGE STUDENT who is three years into his studies and has just READ HIS FIRST BOOK is challenging himself?  Really?  This is a case of Kemba saying "I want to graduate in 3 years to please come up with the easiest plan you can for me to breeze on through...."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Would you rather have him follow Kentucky's lead and take an easy schedule for one semester, not even go to class for the second semester, and leave without graduating at all?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Wasn't there something about recruiting violations by UCONN's hoops program and being put on probation, losing scholarships?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

In Response to More schools should be like uconn:
    [QUOTE]Take Kemba Walker for example. Great player and an equally great student who will graduate in THREE YEARS! Here's how uconn turns out so many great student athletes. Walker admiited he was an average student in high school and had trouble making the transition to college . So he challenged his academic advisor to come up with a plan to let him graduate in THREE YEARS. Perfectly reasonable for an average student who had trouble making the transition to college! First assignment read a book as part of an independent study class (translation - just read a book and you don't have to go to any classes) Take some online classes, and we'll also give you credit for a bogus internship working for the NBA team that drafts you. As proof that uconn ranks up there with all the best academic institutions in the world, Walker had this to say after he completed his reading assignment. "It is the first book I've ever read" I'm not making this up. http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/29758/kemba-walker-recently-read-his-first-book
    Posted by ScreenNameGoesHere[/QUOTE]

Let me get this straight:

This criticism of UConn comes from an alum of a school which had a basketball starter in NIGHT SCHOOL? (And who later elected to send his two sons elsewhere)

And three others who were INDICTED for point-shaving with the mob?

And now several hockey players are jumping ship early?

People in glass houses...

Hmmmm

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

yup it is time to get rid of Jerry York! Something is obviously wrong with him if these fine young men are leaving school early

and yes the criticism of UCONN is ok seeing as their coach has a three-game vacation for next year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

[QUOTE]Would you rather have him follow Kentucky's lead and take an easy schedule for one semester, not even go to class for the second semester, and leave without graduating at all?
    Posted by redbarchetta88[/QUOTE]

At least not going to class and not graduating is being honest about the whole thing. uconn is perpetuating a lie about how "intelligent" this kid is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to More schools should be like uconn : Let me get this straight: This criticism of UConn comes from an alum of a school which had a basketball starter in NIGHT SCHOOL? (And who later elected to send his two sons elsewhere) And three others who were INDICTED for point-shaving with the mob? And now several hockey players are jumping ship early? People in glass houses... Hmmmm
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

As expected you totally missed the point. Let me summarise and make it simple for you.
    This is about an institution perpetuating a lie by enabling a marginal student to graduate with a minimal amount of work in only 3 years. I'm sure there are lots of other students at uconn, not getting a free ride, who are smarter than Walker, work harder than he does to get good grades, and can't  graduate in 3 years.
    If I was a uconn student or alum I would be furious and embarrased about this.

How this relates to something that happened 30 years ago at BC is beyond me. But then I could start a thread about the weather and you would hijack it with your usual and predictable BC sux rant

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailman2. Show sailman2's posts

Seems we have many jealous SOB's online today. What I appreciate is the broad sweeping commentary from the pseudo educated in a dry spell as a University from New England, and it's star player, move forward with the Basketball elite. While the BC faithfull full of reprisal exhibit adolecent egocentrism or the sticks and stones approach with vindictiveness can we really be sure who is the child?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailman2. Show sailman2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More schools should be like uconn : As expected you totally missed the point. Let me summarise and make it simple for you. This is about an institution perpetuating a lie by enabling a marginal student to graduate with a minimal amount of work in only 3 years. I'm sure there are lots of other students at uconn, not getting a free ride, who are smarter than Walker, work harder than he does to get good grades, and can't  graduate in 3 years. If I was a uconn student or alum I would be furious and embarrased about this. How this relates to something that happened 30 years ago at BC is beyond me. But then I could start a thread about the weather and you would hijack it with your usual and predictable BC sux rant
    I gather your the one who must have the last word which makes you whr's & cheriho' s fool?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More schools should be like uconn : As expected you totally missed the point. Let me summarise and make it simple for you. This is about an institution perpetuating a lie by enabling a marginal student to graduate with a minimal amount of work in only 3 years. I'm sure there are lots of other students at uconn, not getting a free ride, who are smarter than Walker, work harder than he does to get good grades, and can't  graduate in 3 years. If I was a uconn student or alum I would be furious and embarrased about this. How this relates to something that happened 30 years ago at BC is beyond me. But then I could start a thread about the weather and you would hijack it with your usual and predictable BC sux rant

Walker wasn't getting the 'free ride' for academic's so I'm not sure why that is relevant.  I haven't looked at UConn's course requirements for a sociology degree, but I'd be willing to bet that it is possible for any sociology major at UConn to make a plan to graduate in three years.  Walker did take intersession and summer courses in addition to the fall and spring courses.  Maybe his degree is "perpetuating a lie" as you say, but there is no evidence to support that theory, so I see no reason to bad mouth the kid for getting a degree in three years.  Quite honestly it seems very petty to do that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"And now several hockey players are jumping ship early?"

So indicative of your posts clueless as usual as the players have already been drafted by the NHL. York has tons of players succeeding in the NHL and that's why scouts come to the Heights early they know Jerry has prepared the players better than Canadian juniors.

Fail UConn Fido Fail!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

LP - you loop hockey into your argument?  It's just another sign that your need to spray venom outweighs your ability to consider or understand a comparative assessment of the situation.  York should be commended for the graduation rate of the program, the young age median of the team, and the direction of these young men, especially when compared to his competitors.

I do agree however, that it's pretty pointless for any fan of D1 NCAA basketball to take shots at Walker's first book and the UConn approach.  The entire D1 NCAA basketball organization makes a mockery of academia and accountability.  It's all about the money.  These "elite" short-term players should be paid a generous wage as if they were university staff members, rather than wasting valuable tuition, room&board awards on athletes with little or no goal/desire or need to take advantage of the education.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trojanfever. Show Trojanfever's posts

BTW checking in again from the leftest coast and all things considered I see BC's army of bloggers entered into Wayne's World with apparently affirmative sentences in order to state the contrary on perspective. I shall, call them the Garth Algar's the anthises of self importance by means of verbal gobbledygook.    

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to More schools should be like uconn : Let me get this straight: This criticism of UConn comes from an alum of a school which had a basketball starter in NIGHT SCHOOL? (And who later elected to send his two sons elsewhere) And three others who were INDICTED for point-shaving with the mob? And now several hockey players are jumping ship early? People in glass houses... Hmmmm
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

3 hockey players are jumping ship to GO PRO....seriously, you are a child.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More schools should be like uconn : Walker wasn't getting the 'free ride' for academic's so I'm not sure why that is relevant.  I haven't looked at UConn's course requirements for a sociology degree, but I'd be willing to bet that it is possible for any sociology major at UConn to make a plan to graduate in three years.  Walker did take intersession and summer courses in addition to the fall and spring courses.  Maybe his degree is "perpetuating a lie" as you say, but there is no evidence to support that theory, so I see no reason to bad mouth the kid for getting a degree in three years.  Quite honestly it seems very petty to do that.
    Posted by Minutemen429[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but no one should be able to graduate in 3 years when it's in the 3rd year of COLLEGE that they read the first book of their lives.  Come on now....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

LP - you loop hockey into your argument?  It's just another sign that your need to spray venom outweighs your ability to consider or understand a comparative assessment of the situation.  York should be commended for the graduation rate of the program, the young age median of the team, and the direction of these young men, especially when compared to his competitors. I do agree however, that it's pretty pointless for any fan of D1 NCAA basketball to take shots at Walker's first book and the UConn approach.  The entire D1 NCAA basketball organization makes a mockery of academia and accountability.  It's all about the money.  These "elite" short-term players should be paid a generous wage as if they were university staff members, rather than wasting valuable tuition, room&board awards on athletes with little or no goal/desire or need to take advantage of the education.
    Posted by trbow

tbrow, i know what you are saying.  however the article and uconn are trying to praise walker for how hard he's worked in school and how he is graduating in 3 years.  then says he read his first book.  its one thing for everyone to know the dirty little secret that athletes get through college in an easy fashion, it's a whole other to try have us believe that we should be proud of walker for getting a free pass though college.

i am fine with the system, all colleges do it.  but do not insult me by trying to say walker deserves praise for this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

So then I take moron, posting from your basement apartment in Chelsea, Kemba Walker should really care about this academic rant you refuse to let go. While he's off to a $3 million NBA rookie contract as the best Collegiate player in the Nation, an NCAA Championship, NCAA Tourney MVP, you set back with your Drake's Ring Dings behind a CRT trucking out garbage all day! Sems as if you should read a good Donald Trump motivational book in doing something with your sad life.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More schools should be like uconn : tbrow, i know what you are saying.  however the article and uconn are trying to praise walker for how hard he's worked in school and how he is graduating in 3 years.  then says he read his first book.  its one thing for everyone to know the dirty little secret that athletes get through college in an easy fashion, it's a whole other to try have us believe that we should be proud of walker for getting a free pass though college. i am fine with the system, all colleges do it.  but do not insult me by trying to say walker deserves praise for this.
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Walker graduated, he doesn't deserve praise for graduating but he doesn't deserve condemnation either. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More schools should be like uconn : tbrow, i know what you are saying.  however the article and uconn are trying to praise walker for how hard he's worked in school and how he is graduating in 3 years.  then says he read his first book.  its one thing for everyone to know the dirty little secret that athletes get through college in an easy fashion, it's a whole other to try have us believe that we should be proud of walker for getting a free pass though college. i am fine with the system, all colleges do it.  but do not insult me by trying to say walker deserves praise for this.
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]
    Momort, I agree, it's pretty insulting to expect anyone to admire Walker's academic efforts. An at first, I thought the article was tongue in cheek.  In a way, it would be better to say nothing about it.  Maybe someone's trying to equate this with Ewing's efforts upon acceptance at Georgetown many years ago.  Big difference though, Gerogetown did make Ewing go through self improvement for 4 years, while Uconn persuaded Walker read one book.

Big scheme of things, it won't matter much, as most reasonable people know the status of acadmeic efforts of top level talent in D1 hoops.

Cheeriho, thanks for another flaming and pointless contribution.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More schools should be like uconn : Momort, I agree, it's pretty insulting to expect anyone to admire Walker's academic efforts. An at first, I thought the article was tongue in cheek.  In a way, it would be better to say nothing about it.  Maybe someone's trying to equate this with Ewing's efforts upon acceptance at Georgetown many years ago.  Big difference though, Gerogetown did make Ewing go through self improvement for 4 years, while Uconn persuaded Walker read one book. Big scheme of things, it won't matter much, as most reasonable people know the status of acadmeic efforts of top level talent in D1 hoops. Cheeriho, thanks for another flaming and pointless contribution.
    Posted by trbow[/QUOTE]

and, Reggie Jackson the home boy for the BC jebbies was the Kendrick Perkins all academic scholar in Chestnut Hill? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]yup it is time to get rid of Jerry York! Something is obviously wrong with him if these fine young men are leaving school early and yes the criticism of UCONN is ok seeing as their coach has a three-game vacation for next year
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

as long as the vacation is not in providence that dastardly city that reeks with rust and friartown u a want-a-bee bryant! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More schools should be like uconn : and, Reggie Jackson the home boy for the BC jebbies was the Kendrick Perkins all academic scholar in Chestnut Hill? 
    Posted by UofNDKing[/QUOTE]
    Never claimed he was anything related to a scholar.  What's your point?