Reflections on the Miami "game"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Reflections on the Miami "game"

Well, that was a noteworthy performance, was it not?

Let's see, now:

17 points in the first half;

the 6th loss in the last 9 games;

dropping a home game to an allegedly inferior team;

going under .500 in the weak ACC;

unable to come close to filling Conte for an in-conference game;

being publicly written off for the NCAA by some writers;

Wow, what a positive difference The Gang of Two made by axing the most winning coach in school history and replacing him with this wizard!

Who says they don't know what they're doing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Re: Reflections on the Miami "game"

In Response to Reflections on the Miami "game":
    [QUOTE]Wow, what a positive difference The Gang of Two made by axing the most winning coach in school history and replacing him with this wizard! Who says they don't know what they're doing?    
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

Err...you do LP, you do. Enjoy another great moment!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Very painful game indeed from many different angles.  Team can't find consistency, however they really don't have the talent to be consistent on a major level so it's not surprising.  Chances are they are going to the NIT, which I would have gladly taken at the beginning of the season. 

Bottom line, SD was left with one legit Div I starter in Reggie and two solid bench guys in Joe T and Raji.  Other than that it's a Div II team.  So all in all they have performed much better than anyone could expect.

I wish UNDKING would have the balls to actually respond to anyone.  Rather he posts stupid cr*p and then hides.  I would love to engage him in a nice debate about ND football, you know the biggest joke in all of college sports.  Sadly, he knows he has nothing to say so instead he hides. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Ok, so let' use logic again shall we?  You know, the same logic that all the brainiac BC haters on here will shy away from and ignore as they have no comeback to it.

It's been 'said' on these boards that SD is a failure and he doesn't know what he is doing because they lost a game.  Yet they have an above .500 winning record.

It's also been said that BC should have not fired Skinner because he was so "good"  yet he had a LOSING record in 2 of his last 3 seasons.

So the guy with the current winning record stinks and shouldn't be here and doesn't deserve the chance yet the guy with 2 losing seasons in his last 3 seasons does?

Now, does that make sense to anyone else?

Someone, please tell me what I am missing?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

preaching to the choir my friend, preaching to the choir

BTW, Skinner's first three years at BC also had losing records as well

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In Response to Re: Reflections on the Miami "game":
    [QUOTE]preaching to the choir my friend, preaching to the choir BTW, Skinner's first three years at BC also had losing records as well
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

The loss deals a serious blow to BC's chances for an NCAA Tournament bid. Considered to be firmly on the bubble coming in, the Eagles needed to at least win their two remaining home games in their to avoid having to go deep into the ACC tournament to reach the NCAA's in coach Steve Donahue's first year

A complete embarrassment! Great showing in Loseville USA;First Football and now the woefull BBall team! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]Very painful game indeed from many different angles.  Team can't find consistency, however they really don't have the talent to be consistent on a major level so it's not surprising.  Chances are they are going to the NIT, which I would have gladly taken at the beginning of the season.  Bottom line, SD was left with one legit Div I starter in Reggie and two solid bench guys in Joe T and Raji.  Other than that it's a Div II team.  So all in all they have performed much better than anyone could expect. I wish UNDKING would have the balls to actually respond to anyone.  Rather he posts stupid cr*p and then hides.  I would love to engage him in a nice debate about ND football, you know the biggest joke in all of college sports.  Sadly, he knows he has nothing to say so instead he hides. 
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

I feel your pain now, post on bro, as BC is relegated to the bubble again this time the Newton Invitational Tourney ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

So how does missing the NCAA with a team that had no shot at all to really make it to begin with equal, as you say, a "complete embarrassment"???  The answer it doesn't, you are just being a drama queen. 

The logical conclusion is that BC beat any expectations anyone had this year.  That's it, plain and simple. 

But I love that you started using that hilarious Newton as the first word of the NIT.  I mean, it was already soooo funny when LP used it, but now that you did as well, I mean, I can't stop laughing.  You two should do a stand up routine...seriously...i not be facetious, i promise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Nice original thinking Cheerio; at least give the attribution from where you derived the writing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

The results BC has achieved is a direct proportion to the effort it applied each game which was nothing. This is a bad team with a bad coach which self destructed and is not worthy of a NIT selection. Simply put, the starting five at BC would not be considered a good scrub match up in the Big East.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]preaching to the choir my friend, preaching to the choir BTW, Skinner's first three years at BC also had losing records as well
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]
    Skinner is gone, so isn't Flutie are we going to bring up the 1942 BC Sugar Bowl too?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

NDKing, while you are still chicken to talk about ND football, you are actually correct.  The current BC hoops squad isn't that good.  This is common knowledge you buffoon.  so once again I'll ask, what is your point?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

momort,

You are drowning in self-delusion.

The current roster COULD be competitive, and certainly WAS capable of getting an NCAA berth.

Reggie, Raji, Paris all are effective shooters. Trapani is a fine player who is versatile and a good shooter and defender for his size. Southern has his contributions, et al.

The problem, as I've said repeatedly, is that they were mismanaged. Stevie Wonder ran this club as if Conte were the OK Corral, instructing these kids to come out with guns blazing.

Not only is this a horrid base for any team, but it is especially foolish for a squad with little depth.

Had he played a smart, conservative offense, using the flex where it had its place, y'all would not now be crying those crocodile tears.

Had The Gang of Two not executed its March 10th massacre, we WOULD have a much deeper team, and we'd likely be en route to the NCAAs.

But no, the Uber Alles crowd here continues to dive deep into the Nothing is Ever Wrong by Dear Leader and Flippo Fantasy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Saddest part of that effort was that the team was completely capable of winning their final 4 games, get the 10 conference wins I'd mentioned earlier, and go out proudly no matter what their tournament performance was.  Now, the pressure is intense.  Interested to see how the team and coach rise to the occasion.  It''s been an inconsistent year, but we expected most of the issues.  I understand the haters are carrying total wood over this...don't really know why, but I understand.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

LP, you are out of your mind OR you just don't know the game of basketball.  My bet is a little bit of both.

But, let me ask you a simple question.  This team is the exact same as last year except we replaced Sanders with some guy from the plex.  Your loved Skinner didn't take this same team to the NCAAs last year.  So why would you expect Steve D to take this same (but weaker) team this year?

Please explain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuffolkEagle. Show SuffolkEagle's posts

Unanswered questions: Why don't the students come out for this, and let's be honest here, overachieving team, and does the poor attendance have any affect on the team's performance? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

momort,

Here are SOME reasons why Coach Al would likely have this club still in the hunt.

1. Last year, he had a YOUNG team which was just starting to meld.

2. Last year, he had 3 promising players, whom others prominent hoops programs were only too glad to accept: Rakim, Evan and Brady.

3. Had that total squad still been here, The Institute would have had a GOOD team, which had - like many others - gone through rough patches and then matured into a formidable unit. Remember the freshman year of Billy Curley et al? They went 1-15. Three years later, they beat Indiana and UNC in the NCAAs.

4. Coach Skinner, a former college standout and NBA player and a long-time head coach, knows the game and the capabilities of his players well. 

5. That is obviously not so for Stevie Wonder, who, for six years, could not post a winning record in the IVY LEAGUE and still can't beat those teams, even with an all-Ivy staff.  He came in with an unthinking run-and-gun offense, sacrificing team work in the process. AND he failed to take advantage of one of Coach Skinner's useful techniques: getting opposing players into foul trouble by encountering them in the paint. Stevie Wonder also thought the answer included important changes such as removing names from the jerseys, banning headbands,and having all wear the same sneakers.

5. So, in short, talent plus experience plus better brain power from the coach would have made this a decent season.

6. Instead, what do we have now? A coach, who in late February is still experimenting in order to find the right starting lineup.  A team which has lost confidence, and is fading sharply down the stretch.

I won't call you any names, my man,  BUT I invite your SUBSTANTIVE response to my rejoinder.

Peace, chum. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

LP,

You are just wrong.  They were not young last year.  Raji, Sanders, Paris , Joe T, and Southern were all JUNIORS!!!  That's your core, that's not young, and they WEREN'T VERY GOOD....Your other boy Ravenel wasn't good enough to play on that team that once again, WASN'T VERY GOOD.  So your agrument about them being young is wrong plain and simple.

1 & 2.-You state that Steve coundn't beat Ivys and still can't.  Dude, he won the Ivy league the last 6 years or something like that.  You can't include his first 6 years and ignore the last.  That's choosing the facts that back your case and ignoring those that don't.  And you still won't answer the fact that it took Skinner 3 losing season before he had a winner, similar to Steve. 

3.  They would have been the same team if all the players stayed.  Sanders was already here, Ravenel wasn't good enough to play and Brady would have been a 1st year short point guard.  I'm sorry, I don't see where they would have made a drastic improvement.

4 & 5. And no offense, but I am going to trust Steve D and his thoughts on basketball just a tad more than yours.  Just a tad.  His system is different then Skinner's, but all coaches have different systems.  If you actually cared to learn, Steve's is similar to Coach K's at Duke.  So it can't be that bad.  Not to mention, he has come in with players recruited to play a style that is totally different than Skinner's and HE'S DONE A BETTER JOB THAN SKINNER...What do you say to that?

And you mock him for trying to get the players to take owernship of the team, something that was clearly missing.  Yet you refuse to answer my point about how much more in shape and how much of a better player Paris is this season under Steve than he was in 3 years under Skinner.

So there you go.  Each of your agruments easily proved wrong.  Dude, we aren't stupid, it's easy to see when you only use half of the info to back your point, we can find the other half.

And listen, I was a Skinner lover.  But I also saw how his recruiting was slipping because he lost his assistants and when the school asked him to help more trying to get more following for the team, he refused. 

If you had an employee who was sub-par in two of three years and then refused an assigment, wouldn't that call for a firing....? 

Lastly, when Skinner had a losing season in years 1, 2, & 3 were you calling for his outster?  Because you are calling for Steve's and he's has a winning season in year 1, so it would only make sense...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Mo,

If YOU were a Coach Skinner lover, then Coach was wise to have studied the lesson of Brutus.

Stevie Wonder is NO Coach K. Get real, lad!

The 2 recruits he brought in have been negligible in terms of contributions.

Last year, they WERE a young team.

Stevie DID have a 6-year skein of losing seasons @ Cornell and STILL can't beat them, as shown by this year's 100% loss to the Ivies.

If Ravenel was not good enough to play at The Institute this year, then you are a better talent judge than Coach Thad Motta, who's had Ohio State near the top of the rankings lately and has a long proven record. My trust goes to Coach Motta. WHY would he recruit to a top 5 program a player who could not make it at The Institute this year  Huh?

Just watch Rakim Sanders @ Fairfield.  The kid CAN play.

Same thing with Brady. WHY would another top program take him if he could not make it at the lower-level Institute?

As you may have chosen to ignore, Coach Skinner had 3 losing seasons when he came here, not DOUBLE that number, as Stevie Wonder did @ Cornell. Also, after Dear Leader out of pique blew up the program soon after Coach O'Brien brought home the first BE Tourney title. Then our 4 prime recruits bailed, Coach Skinner had to rebuild. He did NOT have the core that Stevie Wonder inherited.

You say you trust Stevie Wonder on his offense. If that is true, then off Stevie's showing thus far, you likely would have trusted Bernie Madoff with your money.

I am not "Dude."  If you are an alum of alma mater, did you not learn to speak maturely?

If Coach Skinner's recruiting was "slipping badly", how do you explain Reggie Jackson, who may be Player of the Year next season in the ACC?

No, I NEVER called for Coach Skinner's ouster. We were lucky to have him.
    He brought titles, was NATIONAL Coach of the Year, earned respect for his principles and demeanor, was able to speak English correctly (something that seems to evade his successor), AND was the first and only men's black head coach The Institute ever had. But then Dear Leader and Flippo decided we needed a white Irish-American - something new to alma mater, to be sure!

In shape? Who? What evidence? What do the stats tell you?

The hard reality that the idolatry crowd must face is that our program is dropping quickly. We are seventh in a weak ACC. This year's recruits give next to nothing. Thank God we're not in the Big East. We'd make DePaul look like The Celtics.

But, on the positive side, if you visit the Plex, you'll see dozens of video cameras surrounding the basketball courts. You see, the ever-vigilant Flippo and Stevie Wonder don't want to miss even one of the many more walk-ons we'll need next year to have a scrimmage. 

We won't win many games, but we're  a near-lock for the NCAA record of non-scholarship players on the roster next year.

Who knows, perhaps it won't be long before the acceptance letters come with a hoops uni.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenneyc. Show kenneyc's posts

You guys are BORING--BORING--BORING...Young team/experienced team/Skinner is better than Steve D/ you don't give SD enough time/ we have given him enough time...The guy is in his first year here---he isn't a coach K (We NEVER thought we would get a coach K at BC)--he did inherit the whole team (Except for a walk on or two).The kids are trying ; they are not laying down on the job. I admire Trapani--he goes out there every night to work his butt off--some nights it works/others it doesn't. 
    What do I know; I thought the Celts ought to have kept Harangody-I don't think they gave him enough play time. Even if he is an ND; I wish him luck. Boy, I can hardly wait until football season; this new OC better turn Rettig around IMMEDIATELY and have him throwing to two of the All American receivers they have on the team..

For God's sake guys--enjoy what we have here!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

LP, you are a monster hipocrit....

Fact you provided: Steve took 6 years to win at cornell.
    Fact your ignored: Steve dominated his last 6 seasons at cornell bring an ivy league further than any ivy in years.

Fact you provided-skinner was the winningest coach in bc history
    Fact you ignored-he had a losing season 2 or his last 3 seasons
    Fact you ignored-Skinner took 3 seasons to have a winning record at BC
    Fact you ignored-Steve will have a winning record in year 1 at BC

Fact you provided-Ravenel is so good OSU wanted him
    Fact you ignored-he was so good your own hero Skinner WOULDN'T PLAY HIM LAST SEASON...

Fact you provided-Steve recruits have done nothing
    Fact your ignored-Steve hasn't had a normal full recruiting season yet.

Fact you provided-Jim OBs had 4 recruits "bail"
    Fact you are wrong about-BC denied admission to 3 of those recruits due to their lack of grades and the 4th bailed

Fact you provided-Skinner had to rebuild, so that's his excuse for losing for 3 seasons
    Fact you ignored-Skinner lost 2 or his last 3 seasons so the team at hand wasn't very good.  So Steve had to rebuild himself yet was able to pull off a winning season despite that. 

Point you claim-last seasons team was young
    Fact you ignored-the group you yourself have called the core, raji, joe t, southern, paris ARE ALL SENIORS, meaning they were juniors last season along with sanders and that my friend is not a young team....

Shall I go on????  Nah, I think I've made my point....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]You guys are BORING--BORING--BORING...Young team/experienced team/Skinner is better than Steve D/ you don't give SD enough time/ we have given him enough time...The guy is in his first year here---he isn't a coach K (We NEVER thought we would get a coach K at BC)--he did inherit the whole team (Except for a walk on or two).The kids are trying ; they are not laying down on the job. I admire Trapani--he goes out there every night to work his butt off--some nights it works/others it doesn't.  What do I know; I thought the Celts ought to have kept Harangody-I don't think they gave him enough play time. Even if he is an ND; I wish him luck. Boy, I can hardly wait until football season; this new OC better turn Rettig around IMMEDIATELY and have him throwing to two of the All American receivers they have on the team.. For God's sake guys--enjoy what we have here!!
    Posted by kenneyc[/QUOTE]

We may be boring, but no one else writes anything of real substance, LP included, so what shall I do?  Luke H will be a nice bench player, but he doesn't have the power or quickness to ever be really good.  the celtics should have kept Perk.  That trade was a big big mistake and I think Danny knows he took a moster risk that he already regrets.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Oh and just for the kicker:
    Bikos's shooting % before this season was .394 and .315 from 3, .7 free throw
    This season he's .415 and .385 from 3, .8 free throw

As for his weight loss, here's the quote:
    “Last spring I thought he did a great job from the moment we came here, asking what he needed to do and then not just asking but then going through with it. He really worked on his game,” Donahue said. “The No. 1 thing I said to him first is, ‘I think you’ve got to get in better shape,’ and he went out and probably dropped 20-25 pounds, and I think that physical piece of conditioning I think has helped him greatly."

http://bcblog.weei.com/sports/boston/general/boston-college/2011/01/04/bc-weekly-notebook-biko-paris-gets-the-point/

As you requested sir....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Is this the flex that we shot .447 out of last year compared to .454 this year?   Or the hated 3 pointer where we shot .326 last year vs. .375 this year?  Information available at bceagles.com

Or is it the offense that gave us a 51-46 record the last three years with a miserable conference (19-29) record?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Skinner

Or is that they are eighth in the country at turnovers with about 10 per game?  Doesn't sound like Wild West to me.

Getting rid of the flex for a more modern offense will allow us to open up the recruiting more as kids will want to play in SDs offense.

I think winning record in a coach's first year is pretty darn good.  They are now 17-11 and at worst will be 17-13.

Maybe Jackson would not be in the running unless he was in a better offense this year?

25. This post has been removed.