Should UConn continue to have a basketball program?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkelly1984. Show mkelly1984's posts

Should UConn continue to have a basketball program?

UConn just came off an embarassing loss in the very first round of the NCAA tournament. A tournament that they had no right in particpating in anyway, 20-13 record, 8-10 in the Big East. My question is if they can't win when they are cheating (as evidenced by the NCAA sanctioned ban from the 2013 postseason), should they continue to have a basketball program?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Re: Should UConn continue to have a basketball program?

In Response to Should UConn continue to have a basketball program?:
    [QUOTE]UConn just came off an embarassing loss in the very first round of the NCAA tournament. A tournament that they had no right in particpating in anyway, 20-13 record, 8-10 in the Big East. My question is if they can't win when they are cheating (as evidenced by the NCAA sanctioned ban from the 2013 postseason), should they continue to have a basketball program?
    Posted by mkelly1984[/QUOTE]

Yea paddy Mike; NCAA Champions 2011 , and lost to a very good team, which beat Kansas & Missouri. Please stick to puck head Hockey Least, if you can find coverage on cable for comments which are applicable. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkelly1984. Show mkelly1984's posts

2011 Champions*

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

In Response to Re: Should UConn continue to have a basketball program?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Should UConn continue to have a basketball program? : Yea paddy Mike; NCAA Champions 2011 , and lost to a very good team, which beat Kansas & Missouri. Please stick to puck head Hockey Least, if you can find coverage on cable for comments which are applicable.  
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

Here's all you need to know cheerio/whr

uconn LOST!!!!

Oh well, wait till next year.
    Ooops, I mean wait till the year after next

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

irish are positioning themselves as the #1 Catholic University in America to have an academic standard which will not be compromised. Unlike the other obsecure Catholic Universities our motto Onward to Victory, Play like a Chamion is embedded in our Golden Dome where excellence is our gaol in academics and athletics!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jack ryder. Show jack ryder's posts

In Response to Should UConn continue to have a basketball program?:
    [QUOTE]UConn just came off an embarassing loss in the very first round of the NCAA tournament. A tournament that they had no right in particpating in anyway, 20-13 record, 8-10 in the Big East. My question is if they can't win when they are cheating (as evidenced by the NCAA sanctioned ban from the 2013 postseason), should they continue to have a basketball program?

Posted by mkelly1984[/QUOTE]

Clownshoes the cheating coach and illiterate, coke-juiced players; what's not to like? 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkelly1984. Show mkelly1984's posts

[QUOTE]irish are positioning themselves as the #1 Catholic University in America to have an academic standard which will not be compromised. Unlike the other obsecure Catholic Universities our motto Onward to Victory, Play like a Chamion is embedded in our Golden Dome where excellence is our gaol in academics and athletics!
    Posted by UofNDKing[/QUOTE]

How did the Irish do last night? Haha I guess they'll get 'em next year. Idiot

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Check out St. Paddy's Day cakes only a BC drunk would eat

Great column MSNBC! Love these Irish satires!  Erin go Bragh...

58mm Round Badge Style Fridge Magnet Erin Go Bragh Flag

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Can't imagine what the excuse is for the BC no shows at the TD Garden? U Maine Potato Heads out numbered BC turds 6-1!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

UNQueen won't be around cutting and pasting for a while now that ND has zero teams playing in any tourney anywhere right now..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMinA2. Show KMinA2's posts

[QUOTE]irish are positioning themselves as the #1 Catholic University in America to have an academic standard which will not be compromised. Unlike the other obsecure Catholic Universities our motto Onward to Victory, Play like a Chamion is embedded in our Golden Dome where excellence is our gaol in academics and athletics!
    Posted by UofNDKing[/QUOTE]

"Excellence" in this case apparently does not include fundamentals like spelling (gaol) and the discipline to not introduce irrelevant variables in response to a specific question (Catholic ... Catholic?).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

Poor, poor Ucon - why's everybody always picking on them??????

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should UConn continue to have a basketball program? : "Excellence" in this case apparently does not include fundamentals like spelling (gaol) and the discipline to not introduce irrelevant variables in response to a specific question (Catholic ... Catholic?).
    Posted by KMinA2[/QUOTE]

KM - don't spend too much time trying to understand or decipher these clowns
    whr = cheerio = undguy
    They are the same person. Have the same style, same theme in every post, same lack of intelligence, same poor spelling (obsecure???), same malapropism, end a sentence with a question mark when there is no question etc etc

If you read 1 of their posts you've read them all

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkelly1984. Show mkelly1984's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Should UConn continue to have a basketball program? : Mkelly, enlighten us then why they should not be in this tourney or even 2013?  Define your cheating.  Is cheating because the APR is too low?  One guy transferred out not in good standing, one guy was a bad recruit (miles) and the others leave early for the NBA.  Is this really worth taking away the NCAA tourney?  is this "cheating"?  Other "major" issues are Calhoun's asst coach made too many texts to a recruit. So let me get this straight, Auburn and other schools can pay Cam Newton's dad over $200,000 to procure his son's talent and that is ok but we should penalize a school for sending too many guys early into the NBA (hurting the APR) to make millions (avg uconn salary in the NBA was $6.3M)?  Did Calhoun really fail these kids?  Calipari has left 2 schools after paying those kids and we all celebrate him?  Some may say the APR has leaving early for the NBA in it but these kids leave school right after the NCAA tourney to get ready for the biggest interviews of their life (NBA workouts).  Wouldn't you be worried about your next job making millions and not the art history final?  You can always come back to finish your degree but you can't always play in the NBA.  Also the APR only adjust for a specific short timeframe to return and get their degree to affect the APR.  it's all BS and Uconn is being made an example.
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]

Donn, I would be delighted to answer your questions. To put it simply, there are 200+ division 1 colleges who are eligible for the NCAA basketball tournament. The NCAA has a certain set of criteria that each school must meet in order to be eligible for the tournament. These criteria include minimum academic requirements that these "student athletes" must meet. UConn, the players and coach Calhoun were unable to meet these minimum requirements. 200 other schools were able to meet them. Your argument that UConn players left school early to enter the NBA is moot because many other schools had students leave early and were still able to meet the requirements. UConn and coach Calhoun need to be held accountable for failing to maintain a positive academic environment. But they failed to do so, so they will by not being allowed to participate in any form of postseason play next year.
    To answer your question about why UConn shouldn't be in the NCAA tournament this year, you should refer to my post that states UConn's dismal record in the Big East and in non-conference play. Losing 8 out the last 10 games and a 8-10 record in the Big East shouldnt qualify UConn to play in the tournament. There were much better teams that should have received a spot but because the Big east is a money making basketball powerhouse, they were able to get 8 teams into the dance. UConn sadly (but expectedly) lost in the first round.
    I'm glad that UConn didnt make it far in the tournament. Im glad they wont be able to play in next year's tournament. I hope there is an investigation into coach Calhoun and his recruiting tactics. The 2011 championship should have an asterisk next to it. Until teams like UConn are more severly disciplined this type of cheating (yes, cheating because the rules were not followed) will continue to go on. School and academics should be the number one goal, not free throw percentage or rebounds per game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkelly1984. Show mkelly1984's posts

As a Umass fan, we are still feeling the effects of what Calipari did. I personally don't like Calipari and believe he should be under the same sanctions as UConn. But I wasn't talking about Calipari, Kentucky, Memphis or Umass. I was talking about Calhoun and what he did at UConn. Just because other people are doing it doesnt make it any more acceptable.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigMike67. Show BigMike67's posts

Hard for me to be down on UConn since I did win my brackets contest with them last year, when no one else in a 50 person group had them winning it all. Ah, the joys of being in KY where only two teams get put in the final pairing, and brackets crash when they don't make it. But I digress. This year I had UConn out in round one. In my mind they only made the tourney because they won last year, and the NCAA had sympathy for their ailing coach.  So they went in round one, but Calhoun should have stayed home and should retire now. He calls a time out to yell at his big men less than a minute into the game? Are you kidding me?  And all schools cheat to some degree. Don't assume otherwise. I know because I have defended an NCAA infractions case and I watched what went on in the NCAA "industry" for a number of years. Sometimes it is the coach's fault, and sometimes they just sit on their hands and let it happen [Ohio State], so don't be too hard on Calhoun. I have seen one school keep a 5th string punter on the roster because they knew he had good grades and would graduate. Imagine playing 4 years and never getting to kick a ball in a game? Oh, well.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should UConn continue to have a basketball program? : Wow lotta hate for Uconn.  Did you not get in?   there are more like 300+ teams but that's fine.  Most kids that leave early come from a few schools only so to claim "many" schools have the same issue is wrong.  How the other few schools who do this work it out is simple, they keep guys who won't sniff the court in their 4 years but will graduate and boost the GPA.  Calhoun isn't as charitable as other schools with his walk-ons.  Keep in mind a team may have 2/3 recruits a year so even one kid who sours hurts a lot more just based on math. I'm going to assume you understand strength of schedule here and you do understand that going 8-10 in the BE is equal to going 15-3 in the A10 or even 12-6 in the ACC.  Look at Uconn's strength of schedule and their out of conference wins and winning 8 games in the best conference by far should easily get them in.  Who should have got in before them?  Yeah they played like garbage and lost to Iowa St but to think they shouldn't have gotten in is stupidity.  Thank heavens the tournament committee doesn't rely on the "Mkelly" index based purely on subjectivity and whim.  Also you mention "School and academics should be the number one goal, not free throw percentage or rebounds per game.".  Then why are you posting on a basketball forum?  This is NOT an academic forum.  I do get a kick out of you old timers who think big time basketball (NC/Kansas/Kentucky/Uconn/Syracuse) should still be about academics.  These kids are simply at school for one reason, to make it to the NBA.   Whether "Mkelly" agrees with it or not, that is a fact so get over it Mkelly.  Some schools have a great balance of student and player (Stanford/Duke) but to have a great player be a great student is very rare.  Usually it's one or the other. You want a better mix of academics and sports, go watch the Ivy although even Harvard has loosened their test scores to get better recruits. 
    Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]
    Poor, poor UCon -why's everybody pickin' on them???? Come on. Donnnnn, the program is as far on the crooked side as those you complain about.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

"Use" all get down to TD Garden, Wednesday at 11:00 a.m, for the free open practice 'till 4:00 p.m! Sweet Sixteen teams invade Beantown, and kick our host BC dove bars out to the blighted City of Worcester this weekend. Wisconsin first practice session at 12:00p.m followed by Cinncinnati at 12:50 p.m

Manly teams are in the big city, as our host BC doesn't runs in embarrassment on that 9-22 season and shunned by the CIB Tournament selection committee