Re: The Future of UMass Football
posted at 11/30/2010 9:35 AM EST
Looks like UMass might be playing MAC football next year.
BC fans, please hold your laughter until I finish.
1. UMass will never play in a big bowl or attract 60,000 to Amherst and that's ok. I have no illusions of that ever happening.
2. When the Big East splits betweens state schools and catholic schools the catholics will take Xavier and St. Joe's making the A10 a terrible conference.
3. The CAA is moving south since Rhode Island is dropping a league,
Northeastern dropped football and the CAA is adding schools like Old Dominion.
4. FBS doesn't require a new stadium or taxpayer bailouts. MAC teams get about double the payouts for playing at schools like Michigan. 2 pay games would pay for the season.
4. B. AGAIN FBS DOESN'T REQUIRE TAXPAYER FUNDING
5. Gillette and Krafts want to host more football because the 30,000 for the umass game was 3x what they average for a Revolution game. UMass hosting UConn, Penn State or some other slow Big 10 team would keep them happy.
6. Its about protecting basketball in the long run. If we don't do anything we'll be looking at a future basketball league of Maine, UMass, UNH, BU, Salem State, Tufts, etc.
7. I think incremental improvements at Mcguirk would be ok. Put in some seats in one endzone to get capacity to mid 20s and see how that works.