UMass Basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Re: UMass Basketball

In response to mkelly1984's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Umass is ranked  21st in the AP this week and there isn't a single mention of it anywhere in the globe or on boston.com. But they still have the article about BC winning the hockey title from two years ago on their college sports page. I know Umass hasn't played in a week but if this was BC they would have six articles about how they are ranked in top 25. Hoping for another win tonight against an inferior Eastern Michigan team. Should force the Globe to start writing about them.

[/QUOTE]

The only articles I've seen about UMass are the AP articles. You would never know UMass is the state university because other state schools get the same coverage using AP in the Globe and Boston.com. Nothing against BC but they are not the state's university. Yet even though they are not as good as UMass they get the coverage. But it is early and if UMass keeps winning and climbing in the poles this too will change.

Go UMass!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to GO47's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Umass is ranked  21st in the AP this week and there isn't a single mention of it anywhere in the globe or on boston.com. But they still have the article about BC winning the hockey title from two years ago on their college sports page. I know Umass hasn't played in a week but if this was BC they would have six articles about how they are ranked in top 25. Hoping for another win tonight against an inferior Eastern Michigan team. Should force the Globe to start writing about them.

[/QUOTE]

The only articles I've seen about UMass are the AP articles. You would never know UMass is the state university because other state schools get the same coverage using AP in the Globe and Boston.com. Nothing against BC but they are not the state's university. Yet even though they are not as good as UMass they get the coverage. But it is early and if UMass keeps winning and climbing in the poles this too will change.

Go UMass!

[/QUOTE]

The Herald gets it! Enjoy...

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_basketball/2013/12/buckley_umass_back_on_map

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You don't really believe that the Globe is going to send someone to cover a game in Eastern Michigan, do you?  We had a big tournament in the Garden last month and only 6K showed up. Granted they were nearly all UMass fans,  but it's still a relatively puny turnout.  We start seeing those 6K showing up regularly at the Mullins, and they stay in the top 25, then eventually the Globe will send someone out for the 4 hour RT. 

As for the Herald, good for them.  Buckley is a UMass Grad. It would be nice if the Globe had one too, instead of overloading on Syracuse Sports Journalism grads.  Maybe with the change in ownership that will happen.  The entire paper changed when those New Yorkers bought it, even the Metro section no longer had much real local in it.

[/QUOTE]

There's excitement on the UMass campus about this team. Like most schools they have a stretch of games from December 18th - January 21st that the students are off. It will be interesting to see how the attendance is during that stretch and to see what their record is once they complete it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

[QUOTE]

You don't really believe that the Globe is going to send someone to cover a game in Eastern Michigan, do you?  We had a big tournament in the Garden last month and only 6K showed up. Granted they were nearly all UMass fans,  but it's still a relatively puny turnout.  We start seeing those 6K showing up regularly at the Mullins, and they stay in the top 25, then eventually the Globe will send someone out for the 4 hour RT. 

As for the Herald, good for them.  Buckley is a UMass Grad. It would be nice if the Globe had one too, instead of overloading on Syracuse Sports Journalism grads.  Maybe with the change in ownership that will happen.  The entire paper changed when those New Yorkers bought it, even the Metro section no longer had much real local in it.

[/QUOTE]

Noticed when I was up there the Globe could give 2 shoots about UMASS. Snow Queenies got all the press, and my Jumbos got nothing. BC is a disgrace in the ACC, and is better served in the Metro Atlantic Conference with smaller athletic programs. The Queens are going nowhere.

Enjoy the Cold coming your way NE Yankees. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

Go UMass!

Globe is what it is, a rag sheet, not worthy of cyber space. Snow Queens' at BC are getting pretty terrible in D1 athletics each year. UMASS is an out, what's wrong with them up there in the fridgid kindom of Nowhereville.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to 82ndAB's comment:

Go UMass!

Globe is what it is, a rag sheet, not worthy of cyber space. Snow Queens' at BC are getting pretty terrible in D1 athletics each year. UMASS is an out, what's wrong with them up there in the fridgid kindom of Nowhereville.  

LOL You kind of remind me of the Boston press and media because they use to call the area Loserville before the Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins, and Celtics started to win all those championships since 2001. My how times have changed.

But it's not a kindom of Nowhereville or Loserville. It happens to have some of the best educational systems in the world that produces research, creative thinking, entrepreneurs, not to mention the worlds best hospitals. We just happen to have some great professional sport teams to go along with the excellent quality of life we have here.

Time will tell if Coach Kellogg has the UMass program heading in the right direction. If nothing else they are a fun team to watch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Attended the UMass vs BYU game at the MassMutual Center in Springfield today which was sold out. UMass won 105-96. Chas Williams scored 32 points to lead the Minutemen.  BYU played a zone defense the entire game but it didn't seem to slow down UMass. Very entertaining and fun game to watch!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkelly1984. Show mkelly1984's posts

[QUOTE]

Attended the UMass vs BYU game at the MassMutual Center in Springfield today which was sold out. UMass won 105-96. Chas Williams scored 32 points to lead the Minutemen.  BYU played a zone defense the entire game but it didn't seem to slow down UMass. Very entertaining and fun game to watch!

[/QUOTE]

I was at the game too. Surprised to see so many BYU fans there. The atmosphere was great. Umass  looked really good. Cant wait to see where they end up in the polls on Monday especially after some pretty good upsets in college hoops this week. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was at the game too. Surprised to see so many BYU fans there. The atmosphere was great. Umass  looked really good. Cant wait to see where they end up in the polls on Monday especially after some pretty good upsets in college hoops this week. 

[/QUOTE]

True about the amount of BYU fans. It seems like they were mostly alumni with older Y shirts. Some of the fans mentioned that Danny Ainge attended also cheering on his alma mater. They had that one BYU chant in the 1st half then were drowned out by the UMass crowd. UMass pretty much took over the game from that point.

You are spot on about the the great atmosphere!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

ESPN noticing the Minutemen:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/colleges/post/_/id/4254/chazketball-powers-8-0-umass-past-byu

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

Here's the Herald's coverage:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_basketball/2013/12/chaz_williams_carries_minutemen

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

Good post from a Snow - Queen basher on post season bowls. GlennW
    5ptsFeatured
    33 minutes ago

GA Tech is going to the Music City Bowl to play Ole Miss; NOT Boston College.

Why this clown-wipe thinks the Music City Bowl Execs might even consider the fans from Boston College would travel better to their Bowl better than the fans from GA Tech is beyond me. This is a done deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

This team definitely reminds me of that first Sweet 16 team back in the early 90's.  They should be moving into the teens in the polls this week. 

And I'm usually complaining about the folks who are complaining about the Globe's coverage.  But it's definitely about time the Globe ups their game.  This is a special team.

Just a friendly reminder, Slim, that this discussion was started by a diehard BC fan. I like this UMass team. I think it was you, a couple of years ago, who first brought Williams to my attention when he transferred. He's fun to watch, and reminds me of Michael Adams, he of the good ol' BC days. Hoping we'll get back to that soon.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

UMass now 22 in the AP top 25 poll, 20 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trojanfever. Show Trojanfever's posts

[QUOTE]

UMass now 22 in the AP to 25 poll, 20 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.

[/QUOTE]

Finally, something works in Assachusetts besides Taxes and BC.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dobbinsstreet. Show dobbinsstreet's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Globe will respond slowly. Keep winning UMass!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    ESPN's Joe Lunardi has UMass at #1 in his RPI rankings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to dobbinsstreet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To be fair they did have a good article in the Boston Sunday Globe which I enjoy reading on Sunday mornings. It appears that they are still holding on to reserving certain articles for their hard copy subscribers. But if UMass keeps winning that will change.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

ESPN.com posted this last night around 7:00 PM:

UMass' Williams draws more raves

After his 32-point, 15-assist performance against BYU, UMass point guard Chaz Williams was named Atlantic 10 player of the week for the second time this season.

Williams shared this week's honor with George Washington's Maurice Creek.

For the week, Williams averaged a double-double with 22.0 points and 11.5 assists in wins at Eastern Michigan and vs. BYU -- the Minutemen's first games as a ranked team in 15 years. Creek averaged 21.5 points on 59 percent shooting, highlighted by 25 points and the game-winning jump shot with 0.6 seconds remaining to defeat Maryland, 77-75.

Williams also received some accolades from ESPN, as Dick Vitale named him his player of the week and Fran Fraschilla ranked him No. 4 on his list of the country's top seniors (Insider content).

Meanwhile, the 8-0 Minutemen moved up two spots to No. 20 in the USA Today coaches poll, while they fell one spot to No. 22 in the AP poll.

After a week off for exams, UMass is back in action Saturday afternoon at 3 against Northern Illinois at the Mullins Center.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dobbinsstreet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To be fair they did have a good article in the Boston Sunday Globe which I enjoy reading on Sunday mornings. It appears that they are still holding on to reserving certain articles for their hard copy subscribers. But if UMass keeps winning that will change.

[/QUOTE]

Don't count on it. Father Steve Donahue's S.J team, will find a way with his girls club to beat Brandeis and capture this rag sheet's headlines.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In response to Trojanfever's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

UMass now 22 in the AP to 25 poll, 20 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.

[/QUOTE]

Finally, something works in Assachusetts besides Taxes and BC.

[/QUOTE]

USC has a good team, however, nobody will stop Arizona in the PAC12.

Buffoon College, Father Woder Boy Donahue, SJ, and Malcolm Huckabee, another Buffoon bust,  have spent to much time in the closet looking at themselves and greatful in having the chance to be in Hollywood.