Where is Skinner When You Need Him!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from VBats. Show VBats's posts

Re: Where is Skinner When You Need Him!

In Response to Re: Where is Skinner When You Need Him!:
    In Response to Re: Where is Skinner When You Need Him! : was 0-2 inexcusable for Skinner against the Ivy?  How about a loss to main?  Why do Al's kids lose to the Ivy all the time? name me a big time coach who came to BC to coach?  Please do not include those who has later success but someone who was a nationally acclaimed coach when they showed up on Campus? BTW Jerry became a HOFer because of his success at BC; he was not nationaaly acclaimed and accoplished when he showed up

Posted by provpats

Here's my reply to "provpats"  

Yes 0-2 was inexcusable under Al Skinner's watch and another reason that he is gone.  BC, or any ACC school, should beat Ivy League teams with regularity and ease.  

That's the only point in your poorly written, mistake-filled reply that has any merit.  Maine is spelled wrong.  There's an "e" on it.  Skinner's kids or BC teams coached by Skinner didn't lose to Ivy opponents "all the time". Now you are also 0-2.

On your reply to my big-time usage, it depends entirely on how you define the term but Gary Williams, Bob Cousy, Chuck Daly, Tom Davis, Jim O'Brien and yes even the banished Skinner came to the Heights with better resumes, winning percentages and name recognition. 

On this past search, DeFilippo settled for a marginal coach, plain and simple.  Bigger and better names could have and should have been contacted but let's face the facts, BC is not a desirable place to work at and the oppressive climate under the little man is well known in both the Big East and ACC. It should be the opposite--top 35 school, great location, conference etc.

To shoot down your sophomoric email even further, York won 465 games at Clarkson and Bowling Green, earned 2 Coach of the Year awards (one national and one league) won an NCAA title and was in the top 20 for all-time victories IF he never came home and coached another single game.

I'm very glad that he did and brought BC to the top of the college hockey world. He's a living legend, a BC man and yes, wasn't hired by the current AD.  He also has much more clout and national respect than said AD and refuses to let the Gene or any outsider touch HIS program.  That's a large reason why the Ice Eagles are D1's best.

Anything else?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

VBats, why don't you just give the guy a chance.  To judge him on two losses to Ivy leagues is silly.  Again, this is the 3rd straight loss to Harvard with Skinner responsible for the other two.  The bottom line is, BC is a stepping stone job for coaches.  It always has been and always will be.  THis isn't Gene D's fault.  So we get up and coming coaches, they provide us with some years of good teams and they move on.  Well except for Skinner who can't get another job because as it turns out, he's terribly lazy.

Steve D will do just fine here and in the end he'll do a better job than Skinner.  He's alreay recruiting.  To bash the guy for losing with players he literally picked off the trash heap is silly.  He really only has 1 legit Div I starter in Reggie.  And he's 11-4 with that. 

Chill out and give the guy time.  You will be happy you did.

LP, just in case you didn't know, your still an HUGE dope for making your profile longer and longer. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

To judge this current BC hoops team on anything other than what they are is silly and petty.  They have a new coach who has not had a full recruiting class yet.  They have 1 legit Div I starter and a couple of guys who might play some bench minutes for ok teams.  Other than that they have glorified high school guys trying their best.  THATS IT!  That's what they are.  To expect them to make the NCAA tourney is stupid and unrealistic.  If you judge them by that, well you are a typical Boston sports fan who lacks and logic whatsoever as a fan. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

And LP, I can tell your profile is getting longer.  It just shows what a pure j*rkoff you really are.  Go away please....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is Skinner When You Need Him! : In Response to Re: Where is Skinner When You Need Him! : was 0-2 inexcusable for Skinner against the Ivy?  How about a loss to main?  Why do Al's kids lose to the Ivy all the time? name me a big time coach who came to BC to coach?  Please do not include those who has later success but someone who was a nationally acclaimed coach when they showed up on Campus? BTW Jerry became a HOFer because of his success at BC; he was not nationaaly acclaimed and accoplished when he showed up Posted by provpats Here's my reply to "provpats"   Yes 0-2 was inexcusable under Al Skinner's watch and another reason that he is gone.  BC, or any ACC school, should beat Ivy League teams with regularity and ease.   That's the only point in your poorly written, mistake-filled reply that has any merit.  Maine is spelled wrong.  There's an "e" on it.  Skinner's kids or BC teams coached by Skinner didn't lose to Ivy opponents "all the time". Now you are also 0-2. On your reply to my big-time usage, it depends entirely on how you define the term but Gary Williams, Bob Cousy, Chuck Daly, Tom Davis, Jim O'Brien and yes even the banished Skinner came to the Heights with better resumes, winning percentages and name recognition.  On this past search, DeFilippo settled for a marginal coach, plain and simple.  Bigger and better names could have and should have been contacted but let's face the facts, BC is not a desirable place to work at and the oppressive climate under the little man is well known in both the Big East and ACC. It should be the opposite--top 35 school, great location, conference etc. To shoot down your sophomoric email even further, York won 465 games at Clarkson and Bowling Green, earned 2 Coach of the Year awards (one national and one league) won an NCAA title and was in the top 20 for all-time victories IF he never came home and coached another single game. I'm very glad that he did and brought BC to the top of the college hockey world. He's a living legend, a BC man and yes, wasn't hired by the current AD.  He also has much more clout and national respect than said AD and refuses to let the Gene or any outsider touch HIS program.  That's a large reason why the Ice Eagles are D1's best. Anything else?
    Posted by VBats[/QUOTE]

First my apologies to your sensitivities on my spelling.  I can only hope to improve so that I can meet your standards.

Please about "big-time"  Al coached a dink program at RI with a less than.500 conference record.  He lost 56 games his first three years at BC (32-56).  Does SD deserve the same consideration?

Williams came from American with a 72-42 record but with two NIT first round exits.  He left BC with a 31-33 conference record

Daley had a 26-24 overall record at BC and made his name at Penn.  We were his first college job.

Davis came from Lafayette and OB from St. Bonaventure; were any of these programs considered "big time" and BC was seen as a lateral and not a significant move up?  This job will always be a stepping stone for hoops

The game nowadays is the hot coach; Steve was used to recruiting high potential kids who can actually graduate.  SD had pretty good visibility coming from the Tourney.  It takes a coach a couple of recruiting classes to get his own people in place

Please spare me the nostalgia about these guys;

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from VBats. Show VBats's posts

[QUOTE]VBats, why don't you just give the guy a chance.  To judge him on two losses to Ivy leagues is silly.  Again, this is the 3rd straight loss to Harvard with Skinner responsible for the other two.  The bottom line is, BC is a stepping stone job for coaches.  It always has been and always will be.  THis isn't Gene D's fault.  So we get up and coming coaches, they provide us with some years of good teams and they move on.  Well except for Skinner who can't get another job because as it turns out, he's terribly lazy. Steve D will do just fine here and in the end he'll do a better job than Skinner.  He's alreay recruiting.  To bash the guy for losing with players he literally picked off the trash heap is silly.  He really only has 1 legit Div I starter in Reggie.  And he's 11-4 with that.  Chill out and give the guy time.  You will be happy you did. LP, just in case you didn't know, your still an HUGE dope for making your profile longer and longer. 
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Good morning momort.  I don't need to give the new coach a chance, my school did that. What he eventually does with the gracious and undeserved opportunity is up to him.  I hope for the best.

To use your parameters, "To judge this current BC hoops team on anything other than what they are is silly and petty"  so here is my judgment..............

the current 2010-11 BC basketball team is an average team, who record-wise, has done slightly better than expected.  They have also suffered a pair of inexcusable (and embarrassing) losses, at home, to both Harvard and Yale.  This stain will not go away.

Whatever they are, whatever they will be, whatever post-season tourney that they go to etc. is all moot as I am judging only on the present body of work.

Now in closing, kindly learn some manners, don't presume to know what I or others here are intending and address me if and when I do so to you.  Take care.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]Sure I'm disappointed as are the BC players. Obviously, Harvard is good.Can the BC players rebound and have a credible ACC season--we will see..Too bad we cannot have "adult" conversations on this posting and the Globe continues to provide LP with space to vent his mis-spent youth!!
    Posted by kenneyc[/QUOTE]

LP posts are meaningfull, if there were omitted we would need to deal with such BC morons as screenname and all the other BC trolls that support this hypocritical and fraudulant institution!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VBats. Show VBats's posts

provpats, no need to apologize.  I truly hope that you do compose better in the future because your illiteracy was both offensive and comical. You can't expect to be taken seriously when you produce garbage like that.

Now to the point at hand.  You can try to spin any record, from any coach, any way that you want but the fact remains that all of the applicable names that I referenced had better than a .513 winning percentage when they came to BC. ALL.

Next, you should grow up, move on and get past Al Skinner.  You seem obsessed with him. Perhaps you are a closet Providence (Community) College fan and that explains your distain?  He's gone, the era is over.

BC basketball is not a new coach versus the old coach scenario. It's all record-based. You win, you are liked and appreciated.  You lose, you get heat.

Stevie Wonder will make his own history regardless of what anyone feels, types, etc.  To date, his history at BC sadly includes two terrible home losses, to a pair of inferior Ivy League teams.  He deserves and should expect an onslaught of negativity for those defeats. In his case, the losses are magnified further because he coached at Cornell for years and even has ex-Ivy coaches on staff.

I have no "nostalgia" factor other than to refute the nonsense that you post/posted. Go Eagles!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

VBats, I am only responding to your posts.  I don't interpret it correctly, then by all means let me know what you are trying to get across.  That's how this works, you know, just in case you need help figuring it out.  But to tell me when to address you?  What does that mean?  If I address you before you address me, what are you going to do?  Online yell at me??? 

How do you figure his opportunity is undeserved?  How do you even judge that?  Who would you rather the job been given to?  And don't give me a generic "big time name" or some BS like that.  As I said, BC is a stepping stone school for coaches, it always will be.  So we need to get the guy on his way up.  I would say taking an Ivy league school pretty far in the NCAA tourney would qualify.

You are showing yourself to be the same as LP.  You are judging this guy before he has a chance.  So do us all a favor, when he succeeds, and he will, keep quiet, we don't care to hear your backtracking....

As for the losses to Yale and Harvard.  Get over it.  To focus on 1 or 2 games in a 35 game season just makes no sense.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Vbats you seem to be the type who wants to run a guy out of town for losing one bad game.

He deserves and should expect an onslaught of negativity for those defeats

You deserve an onslaught of negativity if your overall season record after 2 or 3 full seasons is less than par, missing the NCAAs, below .500, etc.  Not for 2 freakin games.  Relax dude....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from VBats. Show VBats's posts

[QUOTE]VBats, I am only responding to your posts.  I don't interpret it correctly, then by all means let me know what you are trying to get across.  That's how this works, you know, just in case you need help figuring it out.  But to tell me when to address you?  What does that mean?  If I address you before you address me, what are you going to do?  Online yell at me???  How do you figure his opportunity is undeserved?  How do you even judge that?  Who would you rather the job been given to?  And don't give me a generic "big time name" or some BS like that.  As I said, BC is a stepping stone school for coaches, it always will be.  So we need to get the guy on his way up.  I would say taking an Ivy league school pretty far in the NCAA tourney would qualify. You are showing yourself to be the same as LP.  You are judging this guy before he has a chance.  So do us all a favor, when he succeeds, and he will, keep quiet, we don't care to hear your backtracking.... As for the losses to Yale and Harvard.  Get over it.  To focus on 1 or 2 games in a 35 game season just makes no sense.
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Here's my reply again so it is clear to "momort"

The current 2010-11 BC basketball team is an average team, who record-wise, has done slightly better than expected.  They have also suffered a pair of inexcusable (and embarrassing) losses, at home, to both Harvard and Yale.  This stain will not go away.

I am judging the new Coach on what he has done to date, January 7, 2011.  The above is reasonable and accurate. 

Further, I hope he does well as he represents my school. Did you graduate from BC?

Please don't compare me with Longputter or anyone else.  And for the record, the way you and your sheep obsess over him, his salutation, etc. is juvenile. 

I, and I'm sure others, would like good, intelligent banter in here.  I'm new but sharp enough to see that you frequently pick on him, insult him and others if the disagree with you. Why?  Be a good sport and stick to factual issues. 

That way more new people may join, interact and make these forums better.  It's Boston.com not your personal soapbox.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Vbats, thanks for the lecture.  Next time however, please make sure you have the full history of what you are lecturing on before you give it.  LP over the last year that I have been on here has made a ton of points, arguments, etc.  Which is his right.  However, many people on here have come back to him with facts to dispute his points, solid valid counterarguments.  Yes 100% of the time he totally ignores all of this and continues to say the same stupid things over and over again.  There are countless examples of this that you haven't seen.  So thats "WHY" we go after him.  He log-jams this with his long profile and he refuses to have an actual conversation.  Should ignore him?  Sure, but what fun would that be?  But thanks for again telling me how to act on here, I'll be sure to take it into consideration.  Oh and thanks for letting me know this is boston.com, I guess I was confused.......

Yes, I did graduate from BC, so its our school.  And great, have fun judging him on what he's done todate.  Sure seems like a logical thing to do.  Doesn't seem very fun to so fiercly judge a guy to have already, in your words, stained a program after 15 games.  But hey, that's just me, have at it if thats how you roll. 

So again, thanks for letting me know how to act on here, I will be sure to take it under advisement....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from VBats. Show VBats's posts

[QUOTE]Vbats you seem to be the type who wants to run a guy out of town for losing one bad game. He deserves and should expect an onslaught of negativity for those defeats You deserve an onslaught of negativity if your overall season record after 2 or 3 full seasons is less than par, missing the NCAAs, below .500, etc.  Not for 2 freakin games.  Relax dude....
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Oh momort.  Now you are trying to my twist words and make false assumptions.  I never said that or anything close to that.  I'm pro BC but I stand by my quote and now clearly see your ignorance and "style". 

BC is a high-level, D-1, ACC basketball program.  Winning matters and a substantial amount of revenue comes from wins.  Again, win and get kudos, lose and face the music, yes even in a city like Boston that is dominated by pro sports.

I'm sure that in March, IF the NCAA selection committee is considering BC, they will rate those losses as "horrible" and think much less of the team.    I'm quite sure that many fans, media members and future opponents lost a degree of respect for the team's legitimacy after those embarrassing losses.  I know that I did and I am a proud graduate, booster etc.

PS" if your overall season record after 2 or 3 full seasons is less than par, missing the NCAAs, below .500, etc."  I'd say that you'd deserve more than an onslaught of negativity; you probably would be looking for a new job. Basketball at this level is not "on the job training".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

[QUOTE]Now to the point at hand.  You can try to spin any record, from any coach, any way that you want but the fact remains that all of the applicable names that I referenced had better than a .513 winning percentage when they came to BC. ALL.
    Posted by VBats[/QUOTE]

vbats - I'm assuming your posts are to be taken seriously. Sometimes it's hard to tell on these message boards.

You mentioned Chuck Daly and Cousy. BC was the 1st head coaching job for each of them. They had NO winning percentage when hired by BC. So do a little more homework and get your facts straight before criticizing others for posting bad info.

Stop the lecturing and stop being such a pompous ***

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Steve D doesn't need on the job training, he needs time.  That's all I am saying.  He hasn't even had a recruiting season yet.  Not 1.   So my point is, you are over-reacting to these two losses, that's my opinion.  Are they bad losses, sure they are, of course they are.  Doesn't he deserve an onslaught of negativity for them?  No he does not. 

From the outside in, yes I am sure people lost respect for this team losing to Harvard and Yale.  But who cares?  From anyone with any insight who follows the team, these losses are not surprising.  This is a team who has given significant minutes to a guy they found in the plex.  What else to do expect? I am more shocked they are 11-4 or whatever they are than losing to two Ivys.  I expected zero this season and have already gotten more than that. 

Personally, I'll judge this team in 2 seasons.  Until then I'll watch to enjoy the re-development of the team under it's new coach.  If you are embarrassed after those two losses, then those are your own problems.  I wish you luck with them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

[QUOTE]Now to the point at hand.  You can try to spin any record, from any coach, any way that you want but the fact remains that all of the applicable names that I referenced had better than a .513 winning percentage when they came to BC. ALL.
    Posted by VBats[/QUOTE]

Jim O'Brien's winning percentage was .567 St. Bonnaventure with no trips to the post-season.

Is that really far and above a .513 with a trip to the Sweet Sixteen?

Donahue's numbers are skewed becuase the program he took over was in such terrible shape that it took him a few years to built it up. His last four years certainly better than .513

Of the previous BC Coaches, only Skinner took at team to the Sweet Sixteen prior to coming to BC. Tourney success is the most important criteria for evaluating a coach and thus, Donahue has a better record than most of those coaches you listed prior to coming to BC.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Vbats

Thank you for your invaluable advice.  It is something I will treasure' I know how important accuaracy is with a data entry operator so I have learned from you.

I am not obsessed with Skinner; he is the most recent coach and the best reference point (BTW his career WP at URI was .523; Aa .513 WP means he wins 3  fewer games over his tenure)

If you are now saying that they should have hired someone with a better WP, fine.  But as we showed, they have never taken from a higher regarded program.  Ever.  The ACC may be a magnet for some people but will not draw someone from a major D1 program to BC where you also have to maintain academics.

Based upon Skinner's record at the outset of his tenure (two 3-13 years) does SD deserve the same?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

BC had best win 10 games in the ACC this year in order to make the tournament.  That's the result of its poor efforts against the Ivy League.

All the rest of the conversation is flaming forum drama.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Trbow, no logical BC hoops fan expects them to make the touney this season with this team....so what are you talking about?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

While I'm not assuming that you are all Boston sports fans as a whole, it's this exact kind of "it all has to happen NOW" that cracks me up about this city.  By my counts, if this city had its way Rondo, Matt Cassel, Lester, Bucholz and Pedroia would have all been run out of town within the first month of playing here.  This city has a crazy 'if you are expected to be good and you aren't totally amazing right away then you s*ck and get out of here' thing that makes no sense to me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ernieafdamo. Show ernieafdamo's posts

Vbats, good luck trying to deal with momort and his idiot friends.  He's all talk and wouldn't even accept an invitation to meet @ Conte.

By the way, Mo it's refreshing to see you still can't spell.  I side with V on being an educated poster.  And today you ALLEDGED that you went to BC? With your grammar, you are delusional yet amusing.  This is a gem of a comment "Doesn't he deserve an onslaught of negativity for them?  No he does not"

trbow, good for your objectivity. 

See sheep, someone else knows the ramifications of those embarrassing losses.

It's 2011, why not improve yourselves and make this a better forum.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from VBats. Show VBats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is Skinner When You Need Him! : vbats - I'm assuming your posts are to be taken seriously. Sometimes it's hard to tell on these message boards. You mentioned Chuck Daly and Cousy. BC was the 1st head coaching job for each of them. They had NO winning percentage when hired by BC. So do a little more homework and get your facts straight before criticizing others for posting bad info. Stop the lecturing and stop being such a pompous ***
    Posted by ScreenNameGoesHere[/QUOTE]

Facts are straight SNGH.  I said "all of the applicable names that I referenced had better than a .513 winning percentage when they came to BC"

That clearly means anyone who had coached before.  Yes, Cousy and Daly were first-time coaches @ BC but they still had more name cache and better credentials than a .513 Ivy League coach.  Are you disputing that?

I'm not pompous by nature.  You're the one with comprehension issues.

PS Beware sheep, looks like new blood is coming to invade "your" forum

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VBats. Show VBats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is Skinner When You Need Him! : Jim O'Brien's winning percentage was .567 St. Bonnaventure with no trips to the post-season. Is that really far and above a .513 with a trip to the Sweet Sixteen? Donahue's numbers are skewed becuase the program he took over was in such terrible shape that it took him a few years to built it up. His last four years certainly better than .513 Of the previous BC Coaches, only Skinner took at team to the Sweet Sixteen prior to coming to BC. Tourney success is the most important criteria for evaluating a coach and thus, Donahue has a better record than most of those coaches you listed prior to coming to BC.
    Posted by LongPotter[/QUOTE]

No LP wanna be, winning percentage (wins and losses) was the only issue on the table.  Nothing more. And once again, yes ALL were better than .513 even by a minute amount.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from VBats. Show VBats's posts

[QUOTE]Vbats Thank you for your invaluable advice.  It is something I will treasure' I know how important accuaracy is with a data entry operator so I have learned from you. I am not obsessed with Skinner; he is the most recent coach and the best reference point (BTW his career WP at URI was .523; Aa .513 WP means he wins 3  fewer games over his tenure) If you are now saying that they should have hired someone with a better WP, fine.  But as we showed, they have never taken from a higher regarded program.  Ever.  The ACC may be a magnet for some people but will not draw someone from a major D1 program to BC where you also have to maintain academics. Based upon Skinner's record at the outset of his tenure (two 3-13 years) does SD deserve the same?
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

Well provpat, looks like you are in fact obsessed with Skinner.  Must be involuntary.  How do you explain this?

"Based upon Skinner's record at the outset of his tenure (two 3-13 years) does SD deserve the same?

Well guess what, you are wrong again.  Those were not Al's records, overall or even in Big East play.