EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

The play in question happened right in front of me. The hit was not from behind. The two players were side-by-side going towards the net they were both bumping each other, the AC player was closer to the net and ended up being driven into the post and she went down. The referee was right there. If the AC player was not hurt or did not go down, I doubt any penalty would have been called. The AC player was back in the game on her next shift.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Wrap up from the daughter this morning: "We sucked, we deserved to get our first loss with how bad we played."

Am thinking I'm glad I wasn't able to make the trek down to Randolph, sounds like it would have been a very frustrating game to watch on our side.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 101364. Show 101364's posts

Ghockey:

Are you kidding me? If your daughter was on the receiving end of that cheap shot (instead of giving end) you'd be all up in arms about the dirty play of AC, give me a break. The poor kid is out with a concussion and your defending the hit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

I'm trying to figure out just who got hurt, was it the SMH player who got "hit from behind" or the AC player the went into the post? Either way, I see a lot of that jamming in front of the net going on. It seems like the refs really don't have a handle on it, so in order to try and handle it, it seems they are blowing the whistle way to early, even when the puck is clearly loose. There is a lot of hitting from behind in front of the net even after play is blown dead. I understand protecting your goalie, it's part of the game, but cheap shots to clear out the crease after the whistle are not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

I guess I spoke to early. I have figured that one out for myself, without the help of Dr. Watson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

There has definately been a lot allowed to go on in front of the nets. It's been two sided, and lord knows my kid is no saint when in front of the net herself, but some of the stuff that has been let go has been mind boggling, including things she has done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

Of course, you never want to see a player get hurt. I do feel bad that the other player was injured seriously. In that respect, it does change the way I feel knowing that a player was injured.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

Icing-

Ouch! Is the hurt player a junior or senior? I hope she is ok. We've been down that concussion road twice, once she was laying motionless on the ice for about 10 minutes after a hit form behind into the boards against LS. Amubulance ride to Emerson hospital, the whole bit. Very scary. The refs MUST somehow do a better job in these games and hand out majors or ejections, maybe that will help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

I'm confused. Was the puck covered by the goalie at the time of the hit? Some make it sound as if they were skating in toward the net together and others make it sound as if they were standing still and the SMH player took a cheap shot. Either way, hope the AC player bounces back and the SMH player isn't mortified by this blog and still believes she can get into college.

The Shrews tie makes me believe they can hang with the tough teams. They scored just as many on AP as SMH. I don't believe they would ever beat the sinners, but I don't think it would be a blowout!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

Ghockey I respect you. You've never said a bad thing on here. If it was in fact your daughter I'm sure she didn't intend to injure anyone and isn't cheering abou it and I wish her the best of luck. It's hockey. It's unfortunate, but it happens. It sounds like that game was just downright awful to watch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

GHockey

Your opinion and insight are very valuable to us on the forum.

ddsach your comments are off base.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from big-fat-liar. Show big-fat-liar's posts

101364 Ghockey:

Are you kidding me? If your daughter was on the receiving end of that cheap shot (instead of giving end) you'd be all up in arms about the dirty play of AC, give me a break. The poor kid is out with a concussion and your defending the hit.

first: that was not a hit from behind! Gh hockey stated it correctly when he said they were side by side. I was surprised that a penalty was called.
    second: the player that is out with a "concussion"  was on the ice the next shift!!!!  what game were you watching??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Good morning, what an interesting night.  What do we now know that we did not prior to last night.  What I now know:

Mary's answers the bell EVERY time!  I can't wait for Friday night but I now expect Mary's to win Friday and I know they do too.

Hingham is clearly the number 2 team in the state.  Their independent schedule allows them to play good and great teams every game.  If they are in a one goal game in the Garden V Mary's in March anything could happen.

The Bay State League as far as D1 teams are concerned is a JOKE.  Braintree will run away with the league title and should go 1 or 2 rounds in the tourney.  As far as the Bay State regarding D2 teams, it's Wellesley and this team is getting better every game.  Norwood is okay to good, beat the teams they should, lose to the teams they should.  But for a team that finished at the bottom of the Bay State last year, nice turn around.  Norwood will make the tourney.

Middlesex, when does Woburn get a crack at Lexington again.  I think Lexington is the only elite team in the ML but Woburn is the best of the rest.  Stoneham, where is the Stoneham talk????? Oh, they lost 5-0 to Reading, sorry missed the memo.

Duxbury - can you say dark horse in the D2 tourney.  I only say dark horse b/c there is not a lot of hype behind them.  They play Wellesley and Hingham in the next couple of games.  I will be watching. Can they beat Font and Canton in the tourney?

Shrewsbury - good team but clearly not as good as 9-0-1.  When you play a soft schedule and then tourney time comes around, WATCH OUT.  Could be first game exit for this team who went 9-9 last year and just made tourney.  Overall, nice turn around. 

What do you think?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LARRY1990. Show LARRY1990's posts

Get the lifeboats ready we're coming to the city of sins Friday night to sink the Magellan. Ahoy Matey time to walk the plank...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

Hingham is VERY legit. At least last night they were flying. I was very impressed by the freshman on the first line.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

For parents to jump on this board and blast a HS HOCKEY player is pretty low. I say HOCKEY because it still is a contact sport and some players do get hurt. I know we don't want to see that happen at all and I truly hope the AC player is ok, maybe the coach should handle this, and honestly do we really need a judge and jury on here....        

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

Ohhh Larry,
    It's ok to dream... When you wake up I'm pretty confident the blue and gold will still be #1... Should be a great game...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

Speaking of Magellan, where is he? Down with cabin fever?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

Seems like SMH brought a White Winter storm with them to Arlington. Let's excuse the SMH player for not being able to brake in such conditions and move on. Any good games tonight? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from passthepuck. Show passthepuck's posts

Magellan:

The number of previous offenses has nothing to do with with it. I thought you were smarter than that. With your rational, I could rob a bank and not get in trouble because I've never done that before...... Brilliant! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PassMeThePuck. Show PassMeThePuck's posts

I think Mr. Magellan is just trying to say that the player is generally not a "dirty" player. Apparently, you couldn't figure that out. Not too Brilliant.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

Way too much crying on this thing about refs and physical play lately. Did you all play violin in high school or something? It's unfortunate someone got hurt, but with 17 penalties its seems anyone could've gone down the wrong way. Don't make this one play define the player in question.

Lar, I can't afford valet, so I call shotgun in your car if you don't mind stopping in West Roxbury on your way to another beautiful neighborhood on the North Shore.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from above-the-law. Show above-the-law's posts

I think everyone on this post needs to think before writing some of their posts.  This is hockey and this was a nasty game - I was there and I am a parent.  The refs had no control and it was a matter of time before people started to get hurt.  This is not how SMH plays their game. 

Before everyone starts wanting to lynch the SMH player, how about the player who punched one of SMH's forward after the second period and send her to the hospital for a CT scan? 

There were no angels at this game - but food for thought.  Isn't this the same type of blogs everyone was talking about with AC playing AP?  Maybe this is how AC plays their game.  If memory serves me correct, how many penalties were there at the AP game with AC.  I know with the SMH game there were not that many.

Just my opinion - hockey is a physical game.  The play was scary and I was concerned for the player.  My daughter has been boarded and thrown into the boards and was out for a few weeks with a shoulder injury and the girl was thrown out of the game - you didn't see me wanting to hang the girl. 

Stop whinning and go watch a boy's game then you may realize this sport we are talking about is hockey!  GHockey - you apologized, your daughter is a great player and hold your held up high.  She did not intentionally try to hurt a player; she has nothing to be ashmed of.  The way the game was going it could have been anyone of the players - and you don't see AC's parent who punched one of SMH's players and sent her to the hospital apologizing.

There are always 2 sides to every story and as the law says - innocent until proven guilty!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

Magellan-

Sounds like you all needed the pope to be the ref at that game last night!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

First of all: It happens.  No one is perfect, especially a hockey player, male or female.  Hockey is one of, if not the, most emotional sports out there. Hockey players react, sometimes not the way we would like them to, especially if it's our child.  I've watched my own throw a few elbows that were a little too high for my liking and not get called for them, just as I've watched numerous times she herself has been kicked, slashed to the point of sticks being broken over her legs, hit from behind, punched in the back of the head, face, kneed in the back while another player got up after hitting from her behind, etc. Yes, some of that was in boys games, but ya know what? The majority was in girls games.

As far as the complaints about the refs go, c'mon, let's face it.  The majority of the ref's in this state don't take the girls game seriously, not even at the Tier I club level.  There is nothing any one of us can do about that except maybe go get ourselves patched and start reff'ing ourselves. Venting is the only outlet we currently have, filing complaints with the MIAA will do nothing, filing complaints with anyone will do nothing.  It's one of those things that is just flat out going to take time.  Will we still have these same issues 7-10 years from now? Maybe not.  Hopefully not. I know I have seen more former college players getting involved in reff'ing the girls game at the youth level this year than I ever have before.  Maybe that's going to help down the road.  Women reff'ing that have actually played the game, know the game, know what the difference between checking and body contact is and know that the girls can and will get just as down and out dirty, mean and nasty as the boys will if allowed to and maybe, just maybe, when we get enough of these types of ref's in our state our daughters games will be much more entertaining to watch.

Just as there is a large disparity in girls hockey as a whole from the top teams to the bottom teams, there is a large disparity in the quality of ref's out there reff'ing the girls games.  Girls hockey has progressed and developed tremendously fast in this state over the past few years.  One can only hope that the ref's will develop and progress along with them.

Just my two cents on the ref thing.