EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

details ?   wat..he's providing cup cakes and your bringing the milk........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010:
    details ?   wat..he's providing cup cakes and your bringing the milk........
    Posted by Paycheck4

you can wash it down with a cold Stella from the tap. don't tell my wife though, I am only supposed to drink that low carb crap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

10 days to go until the seeds come out.  Lets look into the crystal ball and who will be in and who will not of the bubble teams Div 1 Austin Prep 7-8-3 (will play 20 games) needs 3 points in 2 games-Woburn and Winchester. Reading 6-6-3 (will play 18 games) needs 3 points in 3 games -Woburn, Stoneham and St Bernards Wakefield 7-7-2 (will play 20 games) need 4 points in 4 games-Burlington, Masco, Andover and St Mary's Billerica 8-7-1 (will play 20 games) need 3 points in 4 games-Arlington, AC, Chelmsford and Everett. Division 2 Dover-Sherborn 9-7-1 (will play 20) need 1 point in 3 games -Watertown, Norwood, Medfield Marshfield 8-7-2 (will play 20) need 2 points in 3 games-Hingham, Barnstable and Franklin. Stoneham 6-7-3 (will play 18) need 3 points in 2 games-Reading and Belmont Ursuline Academy 5-9-1 (will play 20) need 9 points in 5 games-AC, TBA, Falmouth, Dedham and NDA.  
    Posted by Icing-2

Icing -Im not 100% sure Reading is going to play that last game vs St Berarnd's....(that's what I heard, for reasons i'm not sure of)
    They were suppose to play over the Christmas break but St B's goalie was away on holiday.The rescheduled date is for Feb 22 (when does the tourney start ?) If they play on this date i believe it will be too late to count towards the tournament seeding...
    I'll will head down to the game vs Woburn tonite and find out about this.

How will this affect Reading if they don't play St B's ??? Reading would only have two games left to play and have a total of (17) games played for the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Rocketfan

I was unaware there were games being made up that day but you are not the only one. 
    Franklin vs. North Quincy/Quincy
    Sgt. Pirelli Veterans Memorial Rink, Franklin
    Mon, Feb 22, 2010 5:00PM
    Postponed from Wed, Feb 10, 2010 5:00PM- TBA
    Arlington Catholic vs. Ursuline Academy
    Arlington Sports Center, Arlington
    Mon, Feb 22, 2010 6:00PM
    Postponed from Wed, Feb 10, 2010 6:00PM - TBA
    Reading vs. Gardner/St Bernards
    Burbank Ice Arena, Reading
    Mon, Feb 22, 2010 6:00PM
    Game postponed by Gardner/St Bernards from Dec 30, 2009 -TBA
    Barnstable vs. Marshfield
    Kennedy Memorial Skating Rink, Hyannis
    Mon, Feb 22, 2010 8:00PM
    postponed from Wed, Feb 10, 2010 8:00PM - TBA
    Scituate vs. Falmouth
    Hobomock Ice Arena, Pembroke
    Mon, Feb 22, 2010 8:30PM
    Scituate vs. Falmouth, Postponed from Sat, Dec 19, 2009 8:30PM - TBA
    Dover-Sherborn vs. Watertown/Melrose
    Boch Ice Center, Dedham
    Mon, Feb 22, 2010 9:00PM
    Dover-Sherborn vs. Watertown/Melrose, Postponed from Fri, Jan 8, 2010 9:00PM - TBA

This is what is on MIAA.net
    http://www.miaa.net/IceHockey-09-10-format.pdf

Looks like seeds drawn on Saturday and prelim games start Monday.  This should be interesting....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

St. Bernards got a game rescheduled because their goalie was unavailable. That is crazy! Reading should be out just because they allowed that to happen. I remember going to a Framingham vs SMH game last season where SMH played a kid who had never even strapped on pads but they played the game anyways and won.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

Good times -I think that these make-up games would have to be push back and played B4 the MIAA seedings come out on Sat 2/20 right or am i missing something ??.
    Crystal Ball time.
    The Reading team would be wise to play the last game vs St B's because if Reading with two games left, looses to Woburn and Ties Stoneham, Reading does not get into the tournament, Stoneham with two games left,needs to beats Belmont,then has to win or tie Reading to get in. fun fun fun

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

St. Bernards got a game rescheduled because their goalie was unavailable. That is crazy! Reading should be out just because they allowed that to happen. I remember going to a Framingham vs SMH game last season where SMH played a kid who had never even strapped on pads but they played the game anyways and won.
    Posted by abgirlsfan

AB, you say that "Reading should be out" makes no sense. Maybe St B's should have forfeited the game hum.... its a fairly new program Garner/St B's give them a break. IMHO I don't think we should have scheduled this OOC game. With St B's having to travel a long way with out a big part of their team maybe was discussed between both Coaches and AD's.Then compare a game last year in which SMH the greatest show on ice, didn't need a goalie vs Framingham with that line up last year (no disrespect to KM)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 :  AB, you say that "Reading should be out" makes no sense. Maybe St B's should have forfeited the game hum.... its a fairly new program Garner/St B's give them a break. IMHO I don't think we should have scheduled this OOC game. With St B's having to travel a long way with out a big part of your team maybe was discussed between both Coaches and AD's.Then compare a game last year in which SMH the greatest show on ice, didn't need a goalie vs Framingham with that line up last year (no disrespect to KM)
    Posted by rocketfan

The only reason I say that about Reading is that they allowed it to happen. I agree 100% that the game should have been forfeited to you guys. In fact, there may even be MIAA rules governing it or mandating that the game be forfeited. I have never heard of such a thing. Why is Reading scheduling that OOC game anyways, they should be scheduling tougher games than that. The fact that SMH "didn't need a goalie" as you put it has nothign to do with anything, they still showed up and were most definitely not looking for a forfeit. You can't get away with that stuff in boys hockey, if girls hockey wants to be taken serious it has to act serious.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Seedings are determined at MIAA Headquarters on Saturday 2/20, starting at noon.  There is a delay on the levels that have potential 1A teams, awaiting the results of that meeting.  Also, there is an appeal hearing scheduled prior to the 1A selection process.

But, next door the other levels should forge right ahead, and be done pretty quickly.   As such, expect that the Boys 1 and 2 will be done last. 

Results are compared against a teams Official Schedule, as to Exclusion Team games, and the other exceptions.   Net Winning percentage is then the seeding factor.   Coin Flips are done for ties.   Seedings are published as soon as completed, on the MIAA Tournament Site.

Higher Seeds host the Preliminary and First Round Games for the Girls. 

With the large number of D1 teams, play should start quickly.  Although, there is less pressure than last year to have a finalist for the Garden, as it's a week later this year. 

D2 with less teams might not start as quickly.

Both Girls Divisions are playing 3/14 at the Garden.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from iced-t. Show iced-t's posts

Suppose it is true that (as someone wrote here) some teams might try to lose a regular season game in order to be seeded into a lower spot that happened to have the advantage of forestalling the need to playa a game against SMH in the tournament.

First, that would obviously be bad from the point of view of "teaching important lessons about life" through participation in athletics.  Unless gaming the system is the lesson.

Second, if they matched teams up for the second and subsequent rounds based on the regular season winning percentage of the teams remaining for that round there would never be any incentive to lower one's own record.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

Suppose it is true that (as someone wrote here) some teams might try to lose a regular season game in order to be seeded into a lower spot that happened to have the advantage of forestalling the need to playa a game against SMH in the tournament. First, that would obviously be bad from the point of view of "teaching important lessons about life" through participation in athletics.  Unless gaming the system is the lesson. Second, if they matched teams up for the second and subsequent rounds based on the regular season winning percentage of the teams remaining for that round there would never be any incentive to lower one's own record.
    Posted by iced-t

Didn't you know that gaming the system is truly a life skill. It prepares one to get a state hack job! Maybe a toll taker! I thought you were smarter than that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

I think the 2/22 for make up was just a default date.. For example the AC Ursuline game is not on 2/22 it is on 2/13 so take the dates for what it is worth..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : The only reason I say that about Reading is that they allowed it to happen. I agree 100% that the game should have been forfeited to you guys. In fact, there may even be MIAA rules governing it or mandating that the game be forfeited. I have never heard of such a thing. Why is Reading scheduling that OOC game anyways, they should be scheduling tougher games than that. The fact that SMH "didn't need a goalie" as you put it has nothign to do with anything, they still showed up and were most definitely not looking for a forfeit. You can't get away with that stuff in boys hockey, if girls hockey wants to be taken serious it has to act serious.
    Posted by abgirlsfan

AB Kind of like last season when a certian team showed up to a game with 1 goalie and the rules clearly state there must be 2 dressed at a state tournament game???

As far as scheduling that game...why not? Reading knew they were going to take a step back this year.  They are not alone here are a few that come to mind.  Lexington dropped St Mary's (or vice a versa) AB Dropped AC (or vice a versa) Reading dropped Austin (or vice a versa) and Boston Latin chose not to play AC this year.  Each team schedules games for different reasons.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Didn't you know that gaming the system is truly a life skill. It prepares one to get a state hack job! Maybe a toll taker! I thought you were smarter than that.
    Posted by abgirlsfan

It is not that easy..you really do not know exactly each teams official schdule and a willful loss may backfire since the records are very close and may force you to a coin flip and bite you in the butt so i do not any team would lose on purpose.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymomof3. Show hockeymomof3's posts

i was told that is an automatic date that the Masshshockey puts in the schedule unless you note another make up date with them. It happened to us until the reschedule got posted. None of these games will count, they all need to be made up by the 20th.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

Final tonight -  Reading 3 vs Woburn 2

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Final tonight -  Reading 3 vs Woburn 2
    Posted by rocketfan

BIG

win for Reading

Arlington 5  Billerica 1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : BIG win for Reading Arlington 5  Billerica 1
    Posted by Icing-2

Early AM post headed out to VT for work.
    Recap from last nights game: I thought that Reading had their best game of the season last night (Senior night) They were never behind in this one,even when Woburn came back twice to tie the game i thought the Reading team handled that pressure (they knew it was coming) well both times and didn't give up the lead.Yes this was a big win for the Girls and it couldn't have come at a better time.With this win they qualify for the tournament and if this continues they will be a tough low seed and shouldn't be over looked. Readings goaltender continues to play very well.  SIDE NOTE: Reading will not be playing that last game vs St B's due to a scheduling issue (per the AD) He as asked before last nights game...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Nicely done Reading girls.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Another BIG win last night took place at Dexter.  Newton South beat Waltham 4-3.  Or should I say NS 4 - Hickey 3.  Girl sure knows how to put the puck in the net.  With the win South needs 3 points in its last two games v CC and West. Acad.  South beat them both the first time around.  Its not a lock but its a good spot to be in. 

So it looks like South could make 27 teams in with AP still on a huge bubble.  I would not want to play Reading or AP in the prelim round.  These teams could take out a 5 or 6 seed in the prelim game.  If 27 teams in 1-5 bye, 28 - 1-4 bye.

Also word I have heard from some close to MIAA is that it is business as usually for tourney.  Monday - Wednesday 22 - 24 prelim rounds. Friday 26 - Sunday 28 First round. Quarters Friday 3/5- Saturday 3/6. Semi Wed or Thursday 3/10 - 3/11 and as you all know Garden finals on the 14th.

Though it was a bit weird that there is a week between first round and quarters but I figure it gives them some wiggle room for weather related issues.  May also have to do with final being on 14th.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

Congratulations to Reading; with their backs against the wall they played a great game. Goalie and defense were outstanding, and the forwards made Woburn pay for mishandling the puck in Woburn's zone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paycheck4. Show Paycheck4's posts

y not just bring all the teams that need to make up games to Watertown; then pit them against each other in shootouts....would expedite the process

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nicmcg. Show nicmcg's posts

Somewhat interesting article on the front page of boston.com. Jack Parker discusses the downtrend in "mass hockey players/talent.". I actually thought the comments people posted to have more insight than the actual article. Anyone have any input???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

Somewhat interesting article on the front page of boston.com. Jack Parker discusses the downtrend in "mass hockey players/talent.". I actually thought the comments people posted to have more insight than the actual article. Anyone have any input???
    Posted by nicmcg

I would agree with the coach. Girls HS hockey talentwise is down IMHO. There are some outstanding players out there, but many of the teams I watched this year are shadows of their former selves.
    Teaching 8-9 yr olds 'dump and chase" does not encourage  creativity or skill development. Orr and many other have stated that they learned creativity on their own, by just playing, no adults etc. When was the last time you saw a bunch of kids playing street hockey?  In fact how often do you a see a bunch of kids playing any sport informally.  sadly, not too often I would guess.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

Congratulations to Reading; with their backs against the wall they played a great game. Goalie and defense were outstanding, and the forwards made Woburn pay for mishandling the puck in Woburn's zone.
    Posted by Sportsdad23

Sportsdad,I had this game in the loss column before this game (like most),and a win vs Woburn was a reach for this team....but they came fired up and took this game to Woburn and weathered the storm including a Woburn power play with 5 minutes to play that Woburn tied the game. I saw a lot of positive in this game!  I agree with Goodtimes  this team could be a spoiler(early round) in the tournament. In the Middlesex League the only team that has beating Reading twice is Lexington. first game was 1-0 and the second was 3-0 respectable.... 
    I mention in a earlier post how BAD the Ref's have been this season, but I must say these two ref's did an outstanding job last night!