EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hillsideoldtimer. Show hillsideoldtimer's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I'll take the bait...my daughter is one of the girls you are talking about. The reason the younger girls are better is because they have played longer at a higher level than the upper class-girls. The girl from Medford is a complete stud on the ice. If there isn't someone to keep up with her it's not her fault. You want it so everyone that tries out makes the team regardless of talent. I want to be a major league baseball player but "it ain't gonna happen". Welcome to the real world. I've heard it all in the last couple of years. If a girl is good enough to play she should play. If they're 11-12-13 or 18 years old it doesn't matter. What matters is if they can "hang" with the talent. If they can't they shouldn't play. If you people complaining actually saw the younger girls you are all complaining about you would see that they belong right where they are. As for the "spotlight"...are you for real? The only spotlight should be on the final 2 teams at the TD Garden. How pathetic. For those who argue that the locker room is no place for these girls...you have no idea what it was like in that room with those girls. Females are far more respectful . You don;t give these girls (16-17 and 18 yr olds) enough credit...on or off the ice. I'd bet my second house in the Bahamas that the one's whining about mis-placed sophmores, juniors and seniors are the parents of said players. You should have had them play at an earlier age. They would then be the mis-placee and not the mis-placor. I'd say "see you at the All Star Game" but I doubt it. Maybe Santa can get you a Liberal on the MIAA for Christmas.
    Posted by sleeper3[/QUOTE]

Is this girl trying out for prep/private or do you think she will hang her hat in a Mustang locker room.  I hear it may be 50/50.  How bout your own, same question.  Are we talking about a tryout for prep schools or are they legitimate?  At the schools were there are 6-12 it makes sense cause they stay, but in Medford???  Sounds like a build up of numbers to impress for the future not a way to help a team to stay afloat because of numbers???  What are the numbers when and if these girls have played with quality competition, are they still "studs"? Just asking.  And I don't think its happening in just Medford, there are many programs doing this.  Congrats to Melrose and Watertown who co-oped for several years while building their programs and I hear now are able to split next season, if true, THATS how to do it!!!

Icing-2 can you pull some statistics on the amount of girls who play HS while in 6-8 and STAY with the public?  Excluding the feed ins like SM and AP. May be interesting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sniper912. Show sniper912's posts

Was able to catch the Woburn-Lexington game last night (other games were cancelled!).  Interested to see the SMH coach viewing the game as well.  He’s supposed to be buddies with the Woburn coach, but I suspect he was there to keep an eye on the other team, one of the clear challengers to his D1 winning streak. 

Sportsdad23 must have been watching a different game than I was.  I thought that it was a pretty lopsided 3-1 game.  Woburn spent most of the game in their own end and was probably out shot 25-10.  I know that the Woburn coach is as good as they come, but it’s clear (with no disrespect to the current players) that with something like 8 seniors graduating, this squad will have a tough time competing this season.  Love #10, a big strong skater who was a big time player in last year’s state finals, but she doesn’t have the big three (including a pretty solid goalie) that headed up to Southern Maine with her any longer. 

Haven’t seen the Arlington’s or Hingham (obviously) yet this year, but having seen Lexington more than once, they appear a very real threat.  They rolled 3 lines for much of the first two periods (to Woburn’s 2 lines), and while their success lies with the superstar goalie and #16, I was impressed with their depth.  Each line scored once and I thought that Lexington’s third line outplayed Woburn’s top line.  #32 on D went end to end multiple times and is a big threat with a cannon for a shot.  If Woburn was considered Lexington’s biggest threat this season, I would now expect Lex. will go undefeated in league play, barring injury and/or coaching blunders. 

At the end of the day, I doubt that anyone can upset SMH.  They have the depth, talent, experience, and superior coaching to run the table again this year.  It will be interesting to watch, as always!   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : In my opinion the biggest upset of the night was Chelmsford and Newton South playing to a tie at 1. Chelmsford was a top 10 team last year and Newton South was, we won't go there. What has happened to that program? Does anyone know if they lost their best players?
    Posted by abgirlsfan[/QUOTE]

Didn't see them last year so can't compare to that team, but if the Summit game Framingham played against them is anything to gauge by they didn't look too strong beyond their 1st line.  Our 1st and 2nd lines controlled the game through both periods, the lone goal Chelmsford scored against Framingham in that game came with their 1st line out against our 3rd.  Did they graduate/lose to preps a lot of players or maybe just enough key players to put them into a rebuilding phase this season? Was expecting our team to get blown off the ice going into that game with everything I had heard about how strong they were last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsdad23. Show Sportsdad23's posts

[QUOTE]Was able to catch the Woburn-Lexington game last night (other games were cancelled!).   Interested to see the SMH coach viewing the game as well.   He’s supposed to be buddies with the Woburn coach, but I suspect he was there to keep an eye on the other team, one of the clear challengers to his D1 winning streak.   Sportsdad23 must have been watching a different game than I was.   I thought that it was a pretty lopsided 3-1 game.   Woburn spent most of the game in their own end and was probably out shot 25-10.   I know that the Woburn coach is as good as they come, but it’s clear (with no disrespect to the current players) that with something like 8 seniors graduating, this squad will have a tough time competing this season.   Love #10, a big strong skater who was a big time player in last year’s state finals, but she doesn’t have the big three (including a pretty solid goalie) that headed up to Southern Maine with her any longer.   Haven’t seen the Arlington’s or Hingham (obviously) yet this year, but having seen Lexington more than once, they appear a very real threat.   They rolled 3 lines for much of the first two periods (to Woburn’s 2 lines), and while their success lies with the superstar goalie and #16, I was impressed with their depth.   Each line scored once and I thought that Lexington’s third line outplayed Woburn’s top line.   #32 on D went end to end multiple times and is a big threat with a cannon for a shot.   If Woburn was considered Lexington’s biggest threat this season, I would now expect Lex. will go undefeated in league play, barring injury and/or coaching blunders.   At the end of the day, I doubt that anyone can upset SMH.   They have the depth, talent, experience, and superior coaching to run the table again this year.   It will be interesting to watch, as always!      
    Posted by sniper912[/QUOTE]

As I said - two soft goals and Woburn played a trap, inviting Lexington into their zone. #16 needs to get the puck more for Lexington to win against teams like SMH; as a forward she looks strong, but she did not dominate the way she could have from D.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime91. Show goodtime91's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Would not be surprised to see you start the season 9-0 based on the quality of you opposition.
    Posted by Icing-2[/QUOT

ICING
    Dedham is a good team, there goalie is the best in the league.  Needham is a bit down but did not lose alot of players so I expect them to right the ship.  They started the same way last season.  Braintree is the favorite to win the Bay State, and they are playing well.  I agree that the Bay State is not a power conference, but I would be extremely surprised if Framingham opened 9-0.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bb257. Show bb257's posts

[QUOTE]Here is my week 2 poll   Division 1 Team Record LW 1- St Mary's 3-0-0 1 2- Lexington 2-0-0 2 3- Acton/Box 2-0-0 3 4- Hingham 1-0-0 6 5- Arlington 0-0-1 4 6- AC   0-1-0 7 7- Lynn Coop 1-0-0 8 8- Barnstable 2-0-0 NR 9- Beverly 2-0-0 NR 10- Woburn 0-1-1 5 Division 2 Team Record LW 1- Fontbonne 1-0-0 1 2- NDA 1-0-0 2 3- WHP 2-0-0 3 4- Winchester 2-1-0   . 4 5- Norwood 2-0-0 NR 6- Milton 1-0-1 6 7- Dedham 2-0-0 9 8- Duxbury 1-1-0. 7 9- Falmouth 0-1-0 5 10- Stoneham 1-0-0 NR
    Posted by Icing-2[/QUOTE]
    Stoneham should be higher they will surprise some people....not affiliated in any way...I've been able to see them practice a couple of times....they have some very skilled players...if coaching doesn't kill them.... they will make some noise.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Easy AB, you sound like your going back to the dark side a little bite, no no no
    Posted by magellann[/QUOTE]

I know. A team wins 2 games against two so so teams and there supposed to move up to second in the poll. Wakefield has 9 freshman on the team. The have a very quality defenseman but she cannot beat quality tems by herself. And Woburn has shown so far this year that teams can "fear their reputation" but that's about it.
    By the way, got the message from mrs. magellan.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onrust. Show Onrust's posts

[QUOTE]Very good game tonight: Hingham vs Alington in Alington:  8:00

Hingham v. Arlington changed to 6:00 pm

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]The Boston Herald as a big article about high school girls hockey. You can read in the sports dept. and high school section. I call G -Hockey and maybe or someone can make it so you can get it here.

Here's the link that Magellan referred to....
    http://bostonherald.com/sports/high_school/general/view/20091221special_spartans_st_marys_leads_pack_yet_again/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onrust. Show Onrust's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Even better. How's Hingham going to do night, any thoughts.

Hingham is more balanced than last year.  They look very strong.  Time will tell

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onrust. Show Onrust's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Does balanced equate to better? As I said before in an earlier post, it's hard to fill the skates of Invernizzi and Schlosky not to mention the other 6 seniors including the goaltender.

As I said - Time will tell.  Not sure why you are talking about losing a goalie - They lost the back-up goalie to graduation.  They return 3 of the 4 top defensemen. New Junior forward is very talented.  Losing Schlosky, Invernizzi, Levin, Millerd and Murphy certainly hurt but Hingham has a very talented pool to draw on.  Freshmen may be freshmen but having 3 quality freshmen who skate at the U14 national level of the assabet league can't hurt.  Team still has Bowler and Walsh, who was named surprise of the tournament during the HNIB showcase, at foward.  In this case balance probably will equate as better as they will not have to rely on the first line as much

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : As I said - Time will tell.  Not sure why you are talking about losing a goalie - They lost the back-up goalie to graduation.  They return 3 of the 4 top defensemen. New Junior forward is very talented.  Losing Schlosky, Invernizzi, Levin, Millerd and Murphy certainly hurt but Hingham has a very talented pool to draw on.  Freshmen may be freshmen but having 3 quality freshmen who skate at the U14 national level of the assabet league can't hurt.  Team still has Bowler and Walsh, who was named surprise of the tournament during the HNIB showcase, at foward.  In this case balance probably will equate as better as they will not have to rely on the first line as much
    Posted by Onrust[/QUOTE]

Just to play devils advocate here but earlier it was said that the 2 freshman who play at the U14 National level in NEGHL weren't going to make a difference for Framingham.  So, with that theory in mind, how than can 1 more freshman at Hingham, playing at the same level as the 2 that are first liners at FHS, make more of a difference for Hingham than those 2 can potentially for Framingham? In the long term, not as freshman per se as there is the factor of playing against girls that are 3-4 years older (although they did play U19 in the fall also). I'm honestly asking this question, not being snarky.  Does 1 more really make that much of a difference? 

On another note, big rivalry game this week between Natick & Framingham, both boys and girls back to back at Loring Arena with the girls kicking things off at 4:15 followed by the boys game at 6:50pm on Wednesday.  Boys game will definately have more suspense to it, but you'll have a better shot at winning the chuck a puck contest at the girls game since there won't be as many people there. LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : IMO I wish all girls games were played before the varsity boys games. It might create a better atmosphere for the girls games. The only downside might be the parking situation at some of these rinks. I've been to the rink in Arlington with two games being played back to back and it is a disaster trying to park over there.

Another advantage for getting there in time for the girls game...better parking!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Ice- Im not saying that the hockey world is gonna end as we know it but you have to agree the SMH going undefeated for two years must have somethign to do with the talent they've had there and a talented is group it's been. There is no way that this can continue forever.

It won't matter. According to your previous post 22 will be gone so there won't be any threat out there to give them a run..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Toe-in. Show Toe-in's posts

[QUOTE]Very good game tonight: Hingham vs Alington in Alington:  8:00

First: 2/26/2009
    Last: 12/21/2009
    Arlington 3 Hingham 2 according to MassHSHockey http://www.masshshockey.com/teams.html?tid=237

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onrust. Show Onrust's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Anyone see this game??? must of been a good one?

Hingham jumped to a quick 2-0 lead in the first - Arlington battled back to tie it in the late 2nd and put in the game winner in the 3rd on the powerplay.  Same story as last year - Hingham got the quick lead and couldn't hold it.  Arlington adjusted very well to Hingham's style.

To answer the question posted here - Larry's daughter graduated and is playing at St. Mike's

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : O cmon!!! St. Marys replaced the all time scoring champ in Gauthier who went to a big time program at Providence College and many other talented girls from the class of 2008 and still went out and swept the next season and you think AB will not be able to replace 1 player. I think your head is getting a little large for that body. WOW
    Posted by jzhiphop07[/QUOTE]

HE'S OBVIOUSLY HER FATHER

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from abgirlsfan. Show abgirlsfan's posts

Before you respond, let me give you a couple of specific examples of what I'm talking about about teams and players. In 2001, 2002 Dedham won the DII state Championship then in 2005 won the DI state title. How much have you heard form Dedhma since then. Not much. Why? Because the well run dry. I'm not saying it will never fill up again but it could take many years for that kind of talent to come along. Since 2001 do you know how many players form AB have gone on to play in college? Exactly 3 and one of them was a softball palyer who decided to try and walk on at Colby and made it. You guys think that there are college caliber players on every team, I've already given you that data and it certainly doesn't support it. I say that every team goes through these down times. Maybe you don't see it so much at SMH, Fontbonne, or AC but that is just becasue of their situation and everyone knows it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : Here it comes billyc are you ready? Another one who needs to take a reading comprehension class. You are taking everything I've said out of context. I'll say this one more time I'll say it slowwwwly, see if you can keep up.If you re the post I said that, Gauthier and Hart were help out by then replaced by Golden and Smith. Golden and Smith help out by then replaced by the current crop. Waht do all of htese players have in common? Most of them are in or will be very close to the 200 point club. In the ten years since girls hockey has been an MIAA sport there have only been 16 of them. You cannot tell me you believe that the pipeline will never stop flowing. efore Gauthier started the 9th grade she already had 93 career points. Maybe it flows a little more at SMH because of their situation, but at these towns there will be down years. I know AB hockey inside and out dwon to the U12 level and can tell you there is nobody in the pipeline with that kind of scoring ability yet. Look at Woburn, again, prior to Davis and Callhan there were some great players there, it would appear that they are down this year. Why? The talent level cannot possible keep up in the town, and you'll have maybe a couple of lean years. What's so wrong or hard to understand about that. Do you see a 200 point scorer on the current Woburn team, how about after the current crop at SMH? Players like that are few and for between, when they come along, you ride them for 4 years and hope that some decent talent follows them, but as a coach you don't expect that you'll have that player every year.

OR IF YOU'RE REALLY LUCKY YOU RIDE THEM FOR 6 YEARS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from anniesflowers12. Show anniesflowers12's posts

[QUOTE]Before you respond, let me give you a couple of specific examples of what I'm talking about about teams and players. In 2001, 2002 Dedham won the DII state Championship then in 2005 won the DI state title. How much have you heard form Dedhma since then. Not much. Why? Because the well run dry. I'm not saying it will never fill up again but it could take many years for that kind of talent to come along. Since 2001 do you know how many players form AB have gone on to play in college? Exactly 3 and one of them was a softball palyer who decided to try and walk on at Colby and made it. You guys think that there are college caliber players on every team, I've already given you that data and it certainly doesn't support it. I say that every team goes through these down times. Maybe you don't see it so much at SMH, Fontbonne, or AC but that is just becasue of their situation and everyone knows it.

This isn't a response to the point you were getting across, so don't accuse me of faulty reading comprehension.

I just want to stress to the parents and girls (yes they read these) who are reading this that not playing college hockey doesn't mean that the player wasn't good enough to. Many, many factors go into where they go to college and if they play or not. Please treat hockey or any other sport as it is meant to be treated- simply a way to have fun. Most of the girls (even the 200 point scorers) who go on to play in college from MA high schools don't do much of anything stats wise anyways. Even if they do fabulous, they graduate and life goes on. Forget about the stats people. When the girls go to get jobs, people will care more about a 4.0 GPA than 4 points per game. Only 3 played college hockey, but I'm sure a pleuthora went on to great college institutions, are happy and healthy, and look back at their high school experience as the place they met all of their best friends. That is all that truly matters.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from unemployed3. Show unemployed3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : This isn't a response to the point you were getting across, so don't accuse me of faulty reading comprehension. I just want to stress to the parents and girls (yes they read these) who are reading this that not playing college hockey doesn't mean that the player wasn't good enough to. Many, many factors go into where they go to college and if they play or not. Please treat hockey or any other sport as it is meant to be treated- simply a way to have fun. Most of the girls (even the 200 point scorers) who go on to play in college from MA high schools don't do much of anything stats wise anyways. Even if they do fabulous, they graduate and life goes on. Forget about the stats people. When the girls go to get jobs, people will care more about a 4.0 GPA than 4 points per game. Only 3 played college hockey, but I'm sure a pleuthora went on to great college institutions, are happy and healthy, and look back at their high school experience as the place they met all of their best friends. That is all that truly matters.
    Posted by anniesflowers12[/QUOTE]

Yeah look at me. I hit .427 on my college baseball team and instead of working I'm reading this all day. Don't let your daughter become me! Untie her skates while you still have a chance!

AB, after all the reading I've been doing on these things, I think I'm qualified to teach the reading comprehension class you're starting up for billyc and jz. Let me know

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Bay State Result

Braintree tied Milton 1-1 @ Milton.  Back and forth game with a few quality scoring chances on both sides.  Goalies played well for both side with Milton's Drew making more saves.

Parity will be the name of the game in the Bay State this season.  Wellesley and Milton tied, Framingham beat Wellesley, Wellesley beat Dedham, Norwood beat Milton.  You get the picture.  The only guaranteed wins are Brookline and Weymouth.  North, Needham, Natick and Walpole will win their share of games.

Keep an eye on Norwood, they are the trendy pick to make noise in the Herget and possibly the league if this break their way.  On the Carey side I think it is going to be between Braintree and Framingham.  The question will be whether Needham throws a wrench in the mix.

Happy Holidays

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bb257. Show bb257's posts

[QUOTE]Hey how about a team with some offense Andover has scored 17 goals in 3 games playing a decent schedule A/B with 24 in 3 games (although played 3 softies) Waltham with 17 in 3 games SMH 20 goals in 3 games (and only 2 allowed) Too much fire power or lack of quality goaltending?
    Lack of goaltending and any semblance of defense.
    both A/B and Andover have new upstart goalies...
    I think except for the top 5-6 teams the quality of the game has diminished exponentially ....  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from corrosive. Show corrosive's posts

AB has one of the better D men around(in top 3 w/ Cronin and Woodward). The level play has diminished for many teams, including some traditional powerhouses. I would be very surprised if anyone but AHS, AB, SMH, Lex or Hingham is in the final four. After SMH, I thought Hingham was the next deepest team. I think it is the players best interest for the 'better ' teams to play each other during the season as blowouts help no one. Div II, Fontbone all the way. They minimize shots on goal which will help their keepers gain confidence as the season rolls on. Very good first line. after that parity, parity, parity

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocketfan. Show rocketfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010 : I'll see what we can do for you this afternoon. AB @ Waltham  5:00pm at Veterans

This looks like it could be a good game... Some other games that should be good as well.

Middlesex Tilts:
    Woburn @ Belmont ( Woburn needs a win here)
    Stoneham @ Winchester (Is Stoneham for real?... 14 gf in the last two games a good test for them)
    Watertown @ Reading (two teams headed in different directions?)

What else is out there tonight?