EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

Just about one month until hockey season...looking forward to it already....(not that hockey is not played year round). My topic:  Girls are just as exciting to watch as boys-I just wish MIAA would start treating girls hockey and all girls sports with the same "interest" (being nice)as the boys teams receive. Girls work just as hard with half the attention received. Just my opion...until I see a change in the system....GIRLS ROCK! AND AS THE SONG GOES....GIRLS WILL RULE THE WORLD (SOMEDAY :-) ) That's all for now.  See you around the rink.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

FYI, the NEWHL is once again offering their Prep Tour Team for girls that might be interested in playing Prep School Hockey. 

For details, click the Prep Tour link at  www.newhl.net

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from four-green-fields. Show four-green-fields's posts

Girls hockey is not a high school sport.  More than 50% of teams require 2, 3 or even 4 high schools to form a single team.
    It is fun to watch, they do work hard, but as a high school sport....there just are not enough girls.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

What....I can't believe you said girls hockey is not a high school sport....I suppose my daughter was playing for some other high school or team?  All the girls from one town playing together.....all attending the four year school....only from grades 9-12 were not a team?....The towns you are talking about are what?
    Yes, some schools are a few towns combined...does that disqualify them as a high school team? Some must use 7 and 8th graders...so do all the catholic schools.....Statements like that are what keeps the MIAA and the gap between girls and boys apart. The MIAA should appreciate and support girls teams.  The town she plays for and the school appreciates them. The athletic director for the high school attends many..many games for the girls. The younger girls look up to these role models and think of them as someone they want to aspire to be. Yes the fan base is 1/2 of the boys but they are still in their infancy....some schools have only had teams for a few years. It has to start some time. Girls teams are 2nd class citizens still....this is "2012". Statements like that is one reason girls still do not receive the support they deserve....from everone. I am lucky my daughter plays for one of the best MASS high school in girls hockey! These girls work hard and deserve all the best from everyone!
    That is my "quote".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from four-green-fields. Show four-green-fields's posts

Response to fuzzygirl:

Here is a statement from the MIAA:

Lincoln-Sudbury athletic director Nancy O’Neil spoke on behalf of a subcommittee formed to look at all aspects of the girls’ tournament. There were 15 cooperative teams this past winter. In addition, middle school girls are allowed to play on high school teams, after obtaining a waiver from the MIAA’s District Committees, and a number of schools were successful because of the play of seventh- and eighth-graders.

Winthrop/Lynn made it all the way to the Division 1 semifinals led by eighth-grade goalie Katie Burt. And Acton-Boxboro did that one better, facing Hingham in the Division 1 state final at the Garden led by goalie Cali Loblundo, a 12-year-old seventh-grader.

The spirit of the rule allowing cooperative teams and middle school students is to help teams survive when participation is low. But committee members expressed concern that it could be used simply to get a better chance at winning.

It appears the MIAA know they have a problem.  Here is what happens.  The 7th or 8th grade girls plays for the high school or co-op.  Then goes to high school at a private or prep school to play truly competitive hockey.  I do not feel this is the MIAA formula.  A 12-year old playing high school sports?????????????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012: Based on the quote you supplied---15 teams is not 50% of the girls hockey teams in the MIAA. Also, the catholic schools allow 7th and 8th graders to play at the varsity level, so the waiver for teams allows public schools to do the same, leveling the playing field when they are short handed. For girls hockey to have a successful program, it starts at the youth level. Girls hockey is just starting for some towns and the success of varsity teams inspires the younger girls to participate in the sport. Your comment that if a girl is that good at 7th and 8th grade she will automatically leave and go to a private school is based on what? Sure private and prep schoosl right now have the talent that public schools are striving for, but that is not always the case. Many of the schools have talent and have stayed with the program in their home town. If girls are very talented, I know from experience, that many are playing for their home town and on a league team. Take a look at the Division 1 Hingham and Division 2 Duxbury 2011 State Champs. Between the two teams there were 25 players on the Baystate Breakers. With this much talent, girls hockey is a "high school" sport. If the girls are talented enough then by all means let them play in 7th and 8th grade.  Look at Saint Mary's...no one questioned 7th or 8th graders playing on the varsity team. 12 and 13 year olds play on league teams and go to national camps and tournaments. They can handle it. Girls should always play at their skill level. No way should a 7th or 8th or for that matter a 12th grader play at the varsity level if they do not have the skill. With the growth of girls hockey nation wide, it is only a matter of time before the enrollment will allow varsity players to consist of only high school age players which most already do. I agree with the MIAA that the waivers are in place to allow teams to exist, for now. There are only a handful of schools with such waivers. Your comment makes it sound like all girls teams have 7th and 8th graders on the team...That is not the case. Also, I do not agree that players must go to a prep or private school to play competitive hockey. Did you catch the Saint Mary's vs Hingham game last year? If you did then you know that girls hockey has improved since day 1. It is an exciting "high school sport". Girls are improving in the sport at great speeds. I recently watched a practice for 8 and 9 year old girls, and the talent and skill these girls are showing tells me that "public" school hockey for girls is here to stay. All these girls want to play on the "girls varsity" team and they frequent the girls games. I have talked to them and their parents and see their faces when they watch the "bigger" girls play. They are fans and players for life! GO GIRLS HOCKEY!
    [QUOTE]Response to fuzzygirl: Here is a statement from the MIAA: Lincoln-Sudbury athletic director Nancy O’Neil spoke on behalf of a subcommittee formed to look at all aspects of the girls’ tournament. There were 15 cooperative teams this past winter. In addition, middle school girls are allowed to play on high school teams, after obtaining a waiver from the MIAA’s District Committees, and a number of schools were successful because of the play of seventh- and eighth-graders. Winthrop/Lynn made it all the way to the Division 1 semifinals led by eighth-grade goalie Katie Burt. And Acton-Boxboro did that one better, facing Hingham in the Division 1 state final at the Garden led by goalie Cali Loblundo, a 12-year-old seventh-grader. The spirit of the rule allowing cooperative teams and middle school students is to help teams survive when participation is low. But committee members expressed concern that it could be used simply to get a better chance at winning. It appears the MIAA know they have a problem.  Here is what happens.  The 7th or 8th grade girls plays for the high school or co-op.  Then goes to high school at a private or prep school to play truly competitive hockey.  I do not feel this is the MIAA formula.  A 12-year old playing high school sports?????????????
    Posted by four-green-fields[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

What does everyone else think about 7th and 8th graders playing on the High School Varsity teams. What are your thoughts on competative girls hockey? Is it fair to compare the Prep/Private leagues with Public/Catholic leagues (Boys and Girls)? What are your thoughts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachHux. Show CoachHux's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]What does everyone else think about 7th and 8th graders playing on the High School Varsity teams. What are your thoughts on competative girls hockey? Is it fair to compare the Prep/Private leagues with Public/Catholic leagues (Boys and Girls)? What are your thoughts?
    Posted by fuzzygirl[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, thanks to the presence of a preponderance of prep schools in the area, high school programs are often left shorthanded and need to enlist middle schoolers to fill out rosters. Unfortunately, the drain of top level players to prep schools has also rendered high school hockey in Massachusetts rather weak when it comes to the skill sets of the vast majority of players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:I do agree with you.
    Until the public schools are able to retain their talent thru grade 12, the prep schools are at a different level than public schools. It is unfortunate for those very skilled players who wish to play at a higher level. This is not to say that some public schools have very talented players who make public high school hockey exciting.
    Time will tell if all high school teams will have the flow of younger talent to be able to compete at a higher level. I feel girls hockey is here to say and will only improve. I am one of the lucky parents whose daughter is involved in a great high school program and a highly competitive league team. What would I do if the town did not have a girl's hockey team? Send her to prep school? If I could afford it, fine, but what happens to those who can't afford the price tag?

Time will tell. I only hope that all towns will put into place a great youth girls hockey program to keep the girl's high school hockey going and available to all.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Unfortunately, thanks to the presence of a preponderance of prep schools in the area, high school programs are often left shorthanded and need to enlist middle schoolers to fill out rosters. Unfortunately, the drain of top level players to prep schools has also rendered high school hockey in Massachusetts rather weak when it comes to the skill sets of the vast majority of players.
    Posted by CoachHux[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

OK now 2 years removed who are the teams to beat this year?? Who is up and coming, 1 weekuntil the fun begins!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

Hello...love your picture!

Duxbury is loaded with talent! They will be a tuff team to beat this season-div2.
    St. Mary's as always..goalie talent there.
    Hingham has it's starting line intact from last year with great freshmen talent. Will miss their goalie thou.
    Just too mention a few.....to get the discussion started.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Going to be a tough year for the Flyer ladies this year. Next year has potential but a lot of it depends on how many of the upper level players go to the h.s. and how many go the prep/catholic route. 10 total potential freshman next year, 2-3 top level, 3-4 above-average and the remaining players on the average side.  Will be a huge feat for them and something to be very proud of themselves for if they make tourny this year. They're going to have to dig down deep and gut it out to do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

Looks as if there will be no clear cut dominant team in the Bay State.  Norwood lost some very talented seniors.  They would still be a favorite but lost their goaltender to the preps.  We'll see what Norwood has -vs- Mt Saint Charles.  Once a shoo-in for the states, they will have to work at it this year.  Walpole lost a bunch of seniors and weill be depending on their defense and goaltending to make it back to the tournament.  Game 1 will set the tone  as they play Duxbury. huge test for Walpole.  Milton graduated its best player, the goaltender.  Greatest improvement in the Herget was Natick, looking for them to be a force and possibly take the BS Herget title.

Perenial favorite Braintree should be back at the top of the Carey.  Framingham should make tournament.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Good luck to all the incoming freshman and all the JV girls from last season hoping to make Varsity this year. Don't leave anything on the ice during tryouts, show 'em everything you've got, make their decisions hard to make!  May you all have fun, exciting and healthy seasons!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

[QUOTE]What does everyone else think about 7th and 8th graders playing on the High School Varsity teams. What are your thoughts on competative girls hockey? Is it fair to compare the Prep/Private leagues with Public/Catholic leagues (Boys and Girls)? What are your thoughts?
    Posted by fuzzygirl[/QUOTE]

I have to agree that if a program needs those girls then they should be able to use them but they should NOT be able to use them just to make their team better.  They should have to wait for those younger girls to be of age to be able to play.  There are just too many teams out there that take advantage of the reason behind the waiver.  I understand that there might not be the best of talent coming into the program but right behind them are the up and coming players...well they need to wait their turn and most of these programs get the waiver and by pass the true process.  The bottom line is those 6th, 7th graders do not belong in a locker room with the high school girls.  There is just too much said and going on that they are just not at the age to be around and then you have these kids starting to act like they are in HS and they get involved in too much way too young!!  They have middle school teams and that is where they should be playing to prepare for their time in HS. 
    On another note....looking forward to the start of the year!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

With the reconfigure of the Middlesex League to the small and large and adding some new towns it is going to be an intersting year. 

Arlington is very strong and I heard that they beat St. Mary's pretty good in a scrimmage.  I heard St. Mary's lost Foss to a team in Canada?

Also Medford lost their top scorer to St. Mary's, which I find it funny that these teams say they do not recruit, but yet they pull the best of the players from the town teams.!!  This is what hurts the town programs when you have a program that is known to have a powerhouse, but they lost last year and lost their goalie so now they are out stealing players from our towns....they should have to play in the prep-school league not the HS league!!!

Lexington is going to be strong again and Woburn lost their top player to graduation last year so it is going to be intersting to see how they are going to shape up....their coach is really good and always seems to get the best out of his players...they are a true town team that works with what they got and get it done....I love it!!! 

Reading is very young but has a big burst of talent that came into the program this year they actually added a JV program this year and from what I understand they have more coming in next year....so I think they will be one of the up and coming teams that should be fun to watch battle this talented Middlesex league!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GMath. Show GMath's posts

Never ever should a 6th or 7th grader be in a lockers room with Juniors and Seniors.  Just far too different emotionally, physically and mentally.
    My youngest is an 8th grader next year, and I do believe that she could play at a public HS level in a year, but I think I am glad that our town doesn't seek waivers, so it isn't a question I have to be concerned about.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachHux. Show CoachHux's posts

[QUOTE]With the reconfigure of the Middlesex League to the small and large and adding some new towns it is going to be an intersting year.  Arlington is very strong and I heard that they beat St. Mary's pretty good in a scrimmage.  I heard St. Mary's lost Foss to a team in Canada? Also Medford lost their top scorer to St. Mary's, which I find it funny that these teams say they do not recruit, but yet they pull the best of the players from the town teams.!!  This is what hurts the town programs when you have a program that is known to have a powerhouse, but they lost last year and lost their goalie so now they are out stealing players from our towns....they should have to play in the prep-school league not the HS league!!! Lexington is going to be strong again and Woburn lost their top player to graduation last year so it is going to be intersting to see how they are going to shape up....their coach is really good and always seems to get the best out of his players...they are a true town team that works with what they got and get it done....I love it!!!  Reading is very young but has a big burst of talent that came into the program this year they actually added a JV program this year and from what I understand they have more coming in next year....so I think they will be one of the up and coming teams that should be fun to watch battle this talented Middlesex league!!
    Posted by Katprowl17[/QUOTE]

Sara Foss, St. Mary's goalie last year, went to play in the Junior Women's Hockey League (JWHL) at the National Sports Academy in Lake Placid, New York. A number of local players have opted to play in the JW, rather than Prep or high school given the much higher level of play and the far greater exposure to college scouts.

www.jwhl.org

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaRocket. Show DaRocket's posts

[QUOTE]Also Medford lost their top scorer to St. Mary's, which I find it funny that these teams say they do not recruit, but yet they pull the best of the players from the town teams.!!  This is what hurts the town programs when you have a program that is known to have a powerhouse, but they lost last year and lost their goalie so now they are out stealing players from our towns....they should have to play in the prep-school league not the HS league!!! Posted by Katprowl17[/QUOTE]

How about some cheese with that whine!!!

Just how do you think St. Mary's recruited this girl?  Did they contact the family and offer them money to come to the school?  That's not happening.  The penalty for doing this would be so severe no school would take the chance of being caught.  More likely the family made a decision to send her where she can get more exposure if she plays well. 

The schools don't recruit.  They don't need to.  The programs sell themselves.  It has been like this for decades and is unlikely to change. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

You are correct, these schools do not go out scouting the girls or pulling them from the town leagues. The parents/players choose to go where they feel their daughter can skate and perform at their full potential. I'm sure the education received also is factored into the move.Laughing    Recruiting only happens at the college level.
    GO GIRLS HOCKEY!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Framingham starting things off with a bang vs. Lexington tonight.  <gulp>

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Katprowl17. Show Katprowl17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : How about some cheese with that whine!!! Just how do you think St. Mary's recruited this girl?  Did they contact the family and offer them money to come to the school?  That's not happening.  The penalty for doing this would be so severe no school would take the chance of being caught.  More likely the family made a decision to send her where she can get more exposure if she plays well.  The schools don't recruit.  They don't need to.  The programs sell themselves.  It has been like this for decades and is unlikely to change. 
    Posted by DaRocket[/QUOTE]

No don't need no cheese ~~ just stating an opinion based on conversations. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

GAME ON!  According to MassHockey.com Scituate -v- Weymouth kicked off the season at 11:00am this morning.  Good luck to all in 2011-2012.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

On the waiver thing, how is it that schools with a JV program are being allowed waivers? Have seen 2 JV teams loaded with 7th & 8th graders, pretty solid players over all.  I don't get it.  Isn't the waiver supposed to be used in order to provide enough players for a varsity team? We have 12 players this year and are going it without the use of a waiver, even though we have 5 strong 8th graders in the wings that would have made a huge difference for the team this year.  Waiver process this year seems to be getting abused for sake of creating dominating teams instead of keeping a team with enough numbers to just be competitive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Woburn's outstanding Goalie from last season is back (just a Sophmore this year) and with her between the pipes, that will cover up a lots of things (if needed).  They did lose a top scorer to Graduation, but still have some pretty good scorers returning.  They opened with a solid shutout win vs Lincoln Sudbury this weekend.