EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

Walpole 4 Natick 1 Saturday night.  Natick Sophomore goalie Haley O'Loughlin kept her team in this game.  Natick appeared to be outshot by about 30-10.
    Walpole Defenseman got booted for getting 4 penalties which compromised the last 8 minutes for Walpole. If there was a penalty on the play, they got the wrong girl.  Sometimes I wonder if the referees review the game sheet in between periods to figure out whom to target.  For the record, that is not a whine, just an observation.  Refs were bad both ways.  Why does girl's hockey get stuck with the dregs of the referees?
    IMHO, from the limited amount of games I have watched this year (5) it appears the talent level has dropped off from last year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Wah, wah, wah, It's a Whinnnnnne.

No two ref's call the same game.  There's good calls, bad calls, and non-calls.  Been that way for ever.  Get over it, and focus on the players.  

Some good talent out there this year.   Woburn and Duxbury the teams to beat !!!

Some top teams from the past, have moved back into the pack.  Should make for some great games, that go down to the buzzer !   IT's about being challenged, and how you respond !!!

Good Luck to all the players, !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from aldopignotti. Show aldopignotti's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Have to agree.  Not that it made a difference, but watched Wellesley play with 6 skaters on the ice for a full minute without the ref's noticing the other day.
    Posted by Hockeymomsrule[/QUOTE]

In Saturday's Winchester-Wakefield game, a Wakefield girl hooked her stick into a Winchester girl's stomach and yanked her backwards off her feet, right in front of a ref.  No call.    At the very least, these refs should be protecting the girls from dangerous, illegal plays.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]Wah, wah, wah, It's a Whinnnnnne. No two ref's call the same game.  There's good calls, bad calls, and non-calls.  Been that way for ever.  Get over it, and focus on the players.   Some good talent out there this year.   Woburn and Duxbury the teams to beat !!! Some top teams from the past, have moved back into the pack.  Should make for some great games, that go down to the buzzer !   IT's about being challenged, and how you respond !!! Good Luck to all the players, !
    Posted by cager[/QUOTE]

Cager - I think most people agree with you.  Good calls, bad calls, no calls - they are all part of the game.  However, its not the specific game or ref but the general state of officiating at girls games.  Its generally less than poor.  No one should have to "get over" or accept continued shoddy performances.  Doesn't matter if it's mites, the NHL or anything in between.  I just wish I had a solution instead of venting in a public forum.  

Regarding Duxbury - yes, team to beat in D2 and Woburn looks unstoppable.

BTW - Shots in the Natick/Walpole game were Walpole 58 (not a misprint) Natick 18 so it was pretty darn close to 30 : 10.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

Wow, from watching Natick/Walpole, I think both are inflated somewhat. But generally indicative of the fact that the game was played mostly in Natick's end.

From the few years I have been watching I am generally unimpressed if Duxbury is truly the best in D2.  I think Walpole is good, not very good nor great, and they hung with Duxbury pretty well.  I cannot comment on North teams as I have not seen any yet.

Good luck to all the teams, nothing like hockey season!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

Just got done with the article about A/B game vs. Fontbonne, the smurf line 3 eigthgraders plus the goalie? How is it that this team is still getting waivers for middle schoolers? Someone should look into this as the spirit of the rule is being taken advantage. Are you telling me they don't have enough players to fill out the roster? No goalie in the high school they have to start an 8th grader? I know she started last year but they should be required to look within the high school first. Am I wrong to assume this? The MIAA seems to rubberstamp everything put in front of them. I have been hearing Hockey mom for two years complaining because her town Framingham won't pursue the waivers, maybe they want to take the high road and play within the real rules. I feel your pain Hockey mom Framingham is taking it lumps and bumps. Does anyone know the backup goalie at A/B? is she a hs girl? Teams like Ashland/Medway is an example of teams that needed waivers, Wayland/Weston samething next year they need to stand on their own, no waivers you have a full squad pick from within the high school. Shame on you A/B if you are taking advantage wake up MIAA you seem to ignore the obvious.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Metro - it's teams like A/B and Chelmsford, that cause those of us from our school and others to complain about the lack of follow through on the intent of the rule by the MIAA.  Chelmsford has not only filled out their Varsity roster, but has also filled out a JV roster by using middle schoolers. How is that even remotely close to being 'within the intent of the rule'? That's my biggest gripe with it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]Just got done with the article about A/B game vs. Fontbonne, the smurf line 3 eigthgraders plus the goalie? How is it that this team is still getting waivers for middle schoolers? Someone should look into this as the spirit of the rule is being taken advantage. Are you telling me they don't have enough players to fill out the roster? No goalie in the high school they have to start an 8th grader? I know she started last year but they should be required to look within the high school first. Am I wrong to assume this? The MIAA seems to rubberstamp everything put in front of them. I have been hearing Hockey mom for two years complaining because her town Framingham won't pursue the waivers, maybe they want to take the high road and play within the real rules. I feel your pain Hockey mom Framingham is taking it lumps and bumps. Does anyone know the backup goalie at A/B? is she a hs girl? Teams like Ashland/Medway is an example of teams that needed waivers, Wayland/Weston samething next year they need to stand on their own, no waivers you have a full squad pick from within the high school. Shame on you A/B if you are taking advantage wake up MIAA you seem to ignore the obvious.   
    Posted by metrofan[/QUOTE]

MetroFan - AB is not taking advantage of any rules.  If you look at their roster on "masshshockey.com", you will see that they only have 13 HS aged girls which is not enough to field a team.  According to roster, AB backup goalie is also an 8th grader.  If you ever played HS hockey, then you would know that you need at least 3 lines; and for those schools that do not have 3 lines and don't apply for a waiver then pity on them.  Enough with the whining please!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

There is always the problem of making sure you have enough players interested in playing on the team.  A good way to do that is to win some games.  No one likes being a punching bag in any sport.  Some towns have strong programs and a history of success and have no problem luring youngsters into the sport and trying out for the team.  Hockey is a huge time commitment for those players and their families, more so than for most sports.

So when faced with the dilemna of playing just your minimum size squad of HS girls and likely losing most if not all games, or taking on some Jr High players (who can often be a physical match (not emotional, but physical) for many HS Girls and then being competitive and maybe winning games, thus generating more interest in the team and game in town, which in turn feeds on itself.  That can lead eventually to a self supporting stream of players for a team.

Look in other sports and notice how some towns maintain a level of excellence in some sports, but not others.  Those towns often breed a sense of accomplishment for those teams in those sports that feeds on itself.  Reading in Track for instance, or Winchester in Tennis or Watertown in Field Hockey.  Kids want to play on competitive teams and if they think all they will be doing is losing, then they are far less likely to try out and make the commitment to work and practice with the team.

Shear numbers of players are only a poor metric.  I know in youth sports, at the beginning of each season every team starts with a full roster, but as the games move along, those teams with less success tend to have more and more kids miss games for various reasons, while those teams who win some games tend to have full rosters at the games.  Human nature.  So you need to have more than the minimum to play available.

This is not an easy topic.  There is no obvious one size fits all solution, if one wants the sport to grow and thrive around here.  Will using Jr High kids to augment a roster make those teams more competitive? Almost certainly, assuming they are better than the HS girls already there.  That is just putting better players on the ice.  But would that team be able to continue to field a team if they only used the HS girls and interest in playing dropped below the threshold to support a roster? That might happen too.  I am sure no one would want to looking at forfeits becoming more common, that hurts all teams and the sport as a whole.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]There is always the problem of making sure you have enough players interested in playing on the team.  A good way to do that is to win some games.  No one likes being a punching bag in any sport.  Some towns have strong programs and a history of success and have no problem luring youngsters into the sport and trying out for the team.  Hockey is a huge time commitment for those players and their families, more so than for most sports. So when faced with the dilemna of playing just your minimum size squad of HS girls and likely losing most if not all games, or taking on some Jr High players (who can often be a physical match (not emotional, but physical) for many HS Girls and then being competitive and maybe winning games, thus generating more interest in the team and game in town, which in turn feeds on itself.  That can lead eventually to a self supporting stream of players for a team. Look in other sports and notice how some towns maintain a level of excellence in some sports, but not others.  Those towns often breed a sense of accomplishment for those teams in those sports that feeds on itself.  Reading in Track for instance, or Winchester in Tennis or Watertown in Field Hockey.  Kids want to play on competitive teams and if they think all they will be doing is losing, then they are far less likely to try out and make the commitment to work and practice with the team. Shear numbers of players are only a poor metric.  I know in youth sports, at the beginning of each season every team starts with a full roster, but as the games move along, those teams with less success tend to have more and more kids miss games for various reasons, while those teams who win some games tend to have full rosters at the games.  Human nature.  So you need to have more than the minimum to play available. This is not an easy topic.  There is no obvious one size fits all solution, if one wants the sport to grow and thrive around here.  Will using Jr High kids to augment a roster make those teams more competitive? Almost certainly, assuming they are better than the HS girls already there.  That is just putting better players on the ice.  But would that team be able to continue to field a team if they only used the HS girls and interest in playing dropped below the threshold to support a roster? That might happen too.  I am sure no one would want to looking at forfeits becoming more common, that hurts all teams and the sport as a whole.
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE]

Well said Pete!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : MetroFan - AB is not taking advantage of any rules.  If you look at their roster on "masshshockey.com", you will see that they only have 13 HS aged girls which is not enough to field a team.  According to roster, AB backup goalie is also an 8th grader.  If you ever played HS hockey, then you would know that you need at least 3 lines; and for those schools that do not have 3 lines and don't apply for a waiver then pity on them.  Enough with the whining please!
    Posted by Go Beez[/QUOTE]

Careful Beez your bleeding blue and gold or yellow, question to you does A/B have a jv team? if so how many players actually attend the high school? What grade is the goalie? If your naswer is yes, none, and 8th and no high school goalie then I think A/B needs waivers otherwise no they are bending the rules. I know in lacrosse you have I believe its three years of waivers then if you only have 10 players so be it. Not sure why hockey is different girls hockey has been around long enough in these towns it just seems that everyone should play by the rules. If this is a way of public school teams like A/B and Chemsford, Billerica etc from losing Madison or Olivia or whatever is the new most popular name amongst the masses from running off to SM or Fontbonne or any of the ISL schools. At least with my posting we have people writing in, complaining about refs is going no where.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Careful Beez your bleeding blue and gold or yellow, question to you does A/B have a jv team? if so how many players actually attend the high school? What grade is the goalie? If your naswer is yes, none, and 8th and no high school goalie then I think A/B needs waivers otherwise no they are bending the rules. I know in lacrosse you have I believe its three years of waivers then if you only have 10 players so be it. Not sure why hockey is different girls hockey has been around long enough in these towns it just seems that everyone should play by the rules. If this is a way of public school teams like A/B and Chemsford, Billerica etc from losing Madison or Olivia or whatever is the new most popular name amongst the masses from running off to SM or Fontbonne or any of the ISL schools. At least with my posting we have people writing in, complaining about refs is going no where.
    Posted by metrofan[/QUOTE]
    Metrofan - From what I am told, AB does not have a JV team so therefore I would say that they are not bending any rules.  It's pretty sad that a school of that size does not have enough HS aged girls to field a hockey team; I guess that says something about the prep schools, etc getting a lot of the eligible players.  With the waiver option, I would hope that more schools apply in order for puiblic's to compete with prep schools in terms of building the #'s.  I would expect this to also increase the quality of players via experience.     

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lebo12. Show lebo12's posts

metro fan-

I am along time Fan that follows AB and all of HS Girls hockey......AB does not have a JV team ! They have'nt had one in 6 years.  Look at the roster on "masshshockey.com" from what I can see, they have 11 skaters and 1 goalie, that are HS aged kids.(obviously not enough to field a varsity team)  With the 8th graders, they have 18 skaters and 3 goalies.  So to me the waiver was absolutely needed...don't you agree ??  How can a program possibly run a season with 11 skaters at a varsity level ?, seems ridiculous to me. What if there are injuries ? and kids getting sick ? now your down to 10 or 9 skaters.  BEEZ said it right.... shame on teams that will not apply for waivers with low numbers, its not taking advantage, of anyone , its trying to field a team and save the program from folding all together !  Just my thoughts on the subject...

Hope everyone has a happy holiday , and best of luck to all the girls hockey teams this winter. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

It's Chelmsford that is using a waiver and has a JV team. Framingham has 12 skaters, 1 goalie this year. JV is learn to skate/play. No waiver. They're battling through the best they can and hoping that the talent in the pipeline coming up stays and doesn't go prep.  They've already lost 3 to preps and those 3 would make a huge difference to this team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from metrofan. Show metrofan's posts

[QUOTE]metro fan-  I am along time Fan that follows AB and all of HS Girls hockey......AB does not have a JV team ! They have'nt had one in 6 years.  Look at the roster on "masshshockey.com" from what I can see, they have 11 skaters and 1 goalie, that are HS aged kids.(obviously not enough to field a varsity team)  With the 8th graders, they have 18 skaters and 3 goalies.  So to me the waiver was absolutely needed...don't you agree ??  How can a program possibly run a season with 11 skaters at a varsity level ?, seems ridiculous to me. What if there are injuries ? and kids getting sick ? now your down to 10 or 9 skaters.  BEEZ said it right.... shame on teams that will not apply for waivers with low numbers, its not taking advantage, of anyone , its trying to field a team and save the program from folding all together !  Just my thoughts on the subject... Hope everyone has a happy holiday , and best of luck to all the girls hockey teams this winter. 
    Posted by lebo12[/QUOTE]
    I went to the site they picture 3 goalies and list 20 skaters on roster, no grades that I could find are listed. Any chance that girls are going from prospect to suspect by the time they are juniors and seniors are asked not to join the squad come fall? Such an impressive youth program for girls u10, u12, u14 and they can't field a team unless they get waivers? Not sure about Chemsford but always admired their youth program great coaching and participation.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

I understand both sides of the waiver debate but take the example of Norwood.   They have a 1 HS goaltender left after losing a top flight talent to the preps. They hava a great Jr HS goaltender.  Should Norwood have gone for a waiver arguing they only had 1 goaltender, then played the Jr HS goalie over the HS goalie as AB is doing?  Doesn't seem right to me....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

No BS, it doesn't.  I have to wonder, even if our coach did go for the waiver this year, I still don't think he'd play 3 lines.  I think the 8th graders would be playing and a lines worth of h.s. players wouldn't be. That wouldn't be fair to them.  So depth wise it wouldn't do much, but it would deepen the level of talent among the 2 lines he does/would play.  We have always only had one goalie with the only exception being last year where for the first time they had a Sr. and Frosh who were actual goalies, not one a goalie and the other just dressed in pads and sitting on the bench 'just in case'.  We are now back to just one goalie and will remain that way until the current goalie is a Sr. and then we'll have another one coming in that has experience, if she stays with it. From there there are 2 more being developed that will follow her one year after the other.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoachHux. Show CoachHux's posts

[QUOTE]I understand both sides of the waiver debate but take the example of Norwood.   They have a 1 HS goaltender left after losing a top flight talent to the preps. They hava a great Jr HS goaltender.  Should Norwood have gone for a waiver arguing they only had 1 goaltender, then played the Jr HS goalie over the HS goalie as AB is doing?  Doesn't seem right to me....
    Posted by BSHockeyParent[/QUOTE]

Why? It is a varsity sport. The object is to win, so the best players play. If an eight grader is the better player, they should play. Unfortunately, there seems to be a youth sports mentality that the seniors should be given deferential treatment, yada yada etc etc. Get over it people, you do what needs to be done to win.

Personally, I think the MIAA needs to adopt a policy that eight graders can automatically play, without a waiver. You will deepen the pool across the board, and it will push those above them (assuming there are more talented players among the youngsters) to be better. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Why? It is a varsity sport. The object is to win, so the best players play. If an eight grader is the better player, they should play. Unfortunately, there seems to be a youth sports mentality that the seniors should be given deferential treatment, yada yada etc etc. Get over it people, you do what needs to be done to win. Personally, I think the MIAA needs to adopt a policy that eight graders can automatically play, without a waiver. You will deepen the pool across the board, and it will push those above them (assuming there are more talented players among the youngsters) to be better. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say.
    Posted by CoachHux[/QUOTE]

CoachHux - nice bit of redirection there.  I never stated or inferred that the best players shouldn't play.  Its all about who should be granted waivers.  If there is a varsity goalie why should a waiver be granted to someone in Jr High? 

I like your solution though.  No waivers needed.  Let them play.  But then we'd have to find something else to whine about :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

My 8th grader is better than 1/3 to 1/2 the varsity team in our town IMHO.   I don't want her in the locker room with 11th/12th graders, even though it would improve the team.  Let HS players play, not sit and watch 8th graders.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

c

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

sorry,

I don't get all of the worry about locker rooms. My daughter was young when she started and it was a great experience for her. the captains were respectful of her age and it never got out of hand. You will ask how would I know if I was never in there? I will counter with how do you if you have never been there?

Addressing all of the talk of the middle school players playing varsity...if a player is good enough to play varsity it doesn't matter how old she is. She is still good enough to play. I've read this stuff for a few years now and it's always the same thing...varsity girls are being replaced by middle school players. Too bad. It's High School hockey. The best players play...unless politics is involved.

If a player isn't good enough she gets cut. this whole world is going crazy now with trophies for everyone...it's okay to lose...they're told "good play" when they just got burned down the right wing. What has sports become? Is this what you people want sports to become?

Why would a player that has busted her butt since she was 5 sit for a senior that puts on the skates for the first time in November? This has become a mediocre society because we allow this attitude...it's okay that you don't work hard. You deserve to be on the team because you're a jr or sr.

That is one of the reasons girls leave for the prep teams. Beacuse they can play if they are good enough.

Merry Christmas

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2009-2010

posted at 1/7/2010 11:49 AM EST
    First: 1/15/2009
    Last: 3/3/2010
    Don't count SMH out next year in my honest opinion, their third line is as good as some team's first line and the potential on their 4th line is very, very good.  They will also have 2 extremely good forwards from the 1st and 2nd line.  All D will be back with the exception of 1 - so this story may continue on and on and on.

obviously not the law offices of Nostradamas & Nostradamas

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

[QUOTE]sorry, I don't get all of the worry about locker rooms. My daughter was young when she started and it was a great experience for her. the captains were respectful of her age and it never got out of hand. You will ask how would I know if I was never in there? I will counter with how do you if you have never been there? Addressing all of the talk of the middle school players playing varsity...if a player is good enough to play varsity it doesn't matter how old she is. She is still good enough to play. I've read this stuff for a few years now and it's always the same thing...varsity girls are being replaced by middle school players. Too bad. It's High School hockey. The best players play...unless politics is involved. If a player isn't good enough she gets cut. this whole world is going crazy now with trophies for everyone...it's okay to lose...they're told "good play" when they just got burned down the right wing. What has sports become? Is this what you people want sports to become? Why would a player that has busted her butt since she was 5 sit for a senior that puts on the skates for the first time in November? This has become a mediocre society because we allow this attitude...it's okay that you don't work hard. You deserve to be on the team because you're a jr or sr. That is one of the reasons girls leave for the prep teams. Beacuse they can play if they are good enough. Merry Christmas
    Posted by sleeper3[/QUOTE]

Sleeper - 
    To answer your question "Why would a player that has busted her butt since she was 5 sit for a senior that puts on the skates for the first time in November?"  That's easy.  No player should sit if she is better.  What I want to know is why the waiver was granted in the 1st place.  AB has a player HS age who is a goalie so why the waiver? - could be its as simple as every team gets to have 2 goalies......

and again it would be great if the MIAA simply made it the rule that 7th and 8th graders can tryout for Varsity. Then it would be the same for every team.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

Wow, I'm away for a week and wow....
    I agree that every varsity team wishes it had the luxury of having a huge turn out at tryouts that it can pick and choose "the best of the best" for the team.
    My daughter is on a team with no waiver and every year... you get what you get. The "best" just isn't the best. You settle for OK.. A few of the girls are great...then the talent pool seems to drop off rapidly....to OK they can skate without falling down and with the puck. No eighth graders, you take what you get.
     I am also against the High School Rule that Seniors at this school can not play on the JV and are automatically on the varsity...They sit there if not good enough to play or they leave. I think they should never make the team if not good enough and instead of being on the team and only playing when the team is up 8 to 0. I am so sick of the "good" players being penalized for being good when up against a weaker team. The "good" players sit and watch horrible hockey played. Who benefits from this? If the seniors have the skills of a JV player, then that is where the seniors should be.
    I understand the waiver dispute and believe me there are 8th graders more talented than the present varsity team players out there, but no waiver, so it's a mute topic.
     Do I wish all 8th graders where eligible to play HS hockey. Yes...I feel if they are talented enough go for it. Locker rooms are not a problem with respectful young ladies...all girl hockey players are this...correct  :-)
    My daughter, as a freshman, was only one of two in the locker room of 6 or 7 seniors (a few juniors/sophs also)....You just keep up the dialogue between yourself and your daughter. They aren't hearing anything they don't already hear at school be it middle school or high school.  They are mature enough because its all about the hockey....isn't it?
    So my opinion...let the 8th graders play..if "good" enough and maybe in a few years...the High School will have the pool of terrific players to make up a "junior/senior" varsity high school team. It could happen...just need time for the youth programs to supply the talent.
    So...get your daughters up at 5am to shoot 100 pucks..no 200..then go for a run..get in great shape and dream big ...but start with the basic skills like all the little boys do....Then the girls will benefit from great High School Hockey and there will be nothing to talk about except how talented ALL the teams are!
    Happy Holidays and keep warm!