EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

where is everyone?
    this blog is dying

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]where is everyone? this blog is dying
    Posted by sleeper3[/QUOTE]

Sleep - You gotta change your name.  :-)

I think its the long break that a lot of teams had over the holidays.  I think it will pickup again.  

I need to re-think my rankings.  I was very surprised that Braintree lost to Norwood 4 -1.   If someone was there, I love to here the results.  I know Norwood has a very strong defense but its even better than I thought....  

There will be a showdown tonight when Dedham (4-0) faces Norwood (4-0) for the top spot in the BS Herget.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Another interesting game today will be the Arlington - Woburn game.  Both undefeated and Arlington has not given up more than 1 goal in any game so far.  Not convinced the Arlington scorers can match up with Woburn, but they have a solid D it appears.  Games were few and far between the past two weeks with Christmas break.  Not much new to post or whine about...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

It will pick up, also spread the word to friends, finding new people can be hard to come by. Us old timers who's players have moved on, check in every so often to read about the new high school scene.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

There is another game that should be tops to watch tonight. The rematch of the Division I finals from last year. Defending Champions Hingham at Action-Boxborough tonight. Start is 7:30pm.
    Any thoughts on that game?
    Just to get the discussions rolling again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

Did anyone see the AB vs Hingham Game, besides me? I have my thoughts but I think I'll keep them to myself. Would be just another whine fest regarding the refs....again..... My only comment is: Why do the girls teams get the crappy! refs and the boys don't seem to. Maybe they are used to ref'n the boys and don't realize that these players...oh my...have pony tails....and the rules are different.
    Look forward to your comments...ohhh...yes all the new polls everyone seems to love so much.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

Ohhhh one thing that was amazing....A ref told my daughter at the faceoff, during a moment pause....that the opposing goalie goes down on the shot alot so she should shoot high in the corner.....Can you believe that....A ref telling a player who to shoot and score on the other team....I'm sure that's against some rule....and to think my daughter doesn't know how to shoot the puck in order to score was another thing....UN *"*^BELIEVABLE. MIAA will hear about this from me!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]ESPN rankings for 12/29 out.  They have a better handle on it than B.C. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/teams/preps/news/story?page=top25magirlshockey Their top 10 vs  Mine 1. Woburn             Hingham - till someone beats them they are still the champ 2. Duxbury             Duxbury - ditto 3. Hingham             Woburn 4. St. Marys Lynn     AB 5. AB                      AC 6. Lex                     St. Marys Lynn -  7. AC                      Braintree 8. Arlington              Barnstable  9. Dedham               Watertown/Melrose 10. Barnstable          Dedham - waivering on this one.  only defeated Weymouth by 1. Easily could have replaced them with a cusp team On the cusp: Arlington, Lexington, Walpole, Fontbonne
    Posted by ghockeydad[/QUOTE]
    hey ghockeydad -
    I guess this means AB is your new #1?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]Did anyone see the AB vs Hingham Game, besides me? I have my thoughts but I think I'll keep them to myself. Would be just another whine fest regarding the refs....again..... My only comment is: Why do the girls teams get the crappy! refs and the boys don't seem to. Maybe they are used to ref'n the boys and don't realize that these players...oh my...have pony tails....and the rules are different. Look forward to your comments...ohhh...yes all the new polls everyone seems to love so much.....
    Posted by fuzzygirl[/QUOTE]
    fuzzygirl -
    I assume you're with AB as the penalties were extremely lopsided in Hingham's favor? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]Well the games are underway again after the christmas break for many teams.  A couple of interesting games last night.  Woburn faced its toughest game yet vs Lexington but ended up prevailing 4-2 (finally giving up some goals) and even falling behind 1-0 and 2-1 in the game before rallying to tie and go ahead to stay. As league schedules get underway, it will be fun to follow how the teams sort themselves out.  Has SM fallen back to the back, or was that just early season learning curve.  Can Highham and Duxbury maintain their high levels of success or even more so, can Barnestable?! one of the early season success stories. It even feels like winter now...(or at least it did for a few days...)
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE]
    Peter -
    Apparently, you haven't seen Barnstable play yet; that gaudy record will be scared when Hingham wipes them out next game.  look at the teams they have played and you will see that they are very, very over-rated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Nope, don't get far from home.  Only can go by the reports and stats, which as we all know can be very misleading. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : hey ghockeydad - I guess this means AB is your new #1?
    Posted by Go Beez[/QUOTE]

Not so quick there GBeez... 

AB does not go to the top of the class yet but Hingham gets knocked off their perch.  

1. Woburn

2. Duxbury

3. AB

4. Hingham

5. St. Mary's

6. AC - could easily have put them 3, 4, 5.  I have absolutely no conviction here

taking the coward's way out with picks 7 thru 10

7. Barnstable, Lexington, Norwood, Walpole  round out the top 10.  

We'll have alot more clarity after this week.  If Lex loses to Arlington, Lex drops out Arlington is in.  Walpole has to beat Dedham on Saturday to stick.  Norwood just knocked off high scoring Dedham.  The only reaason they weren't mentioned last week is because of of the lose of top netminder but it appears their defense has compensated nicely. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Not so quick there GBeez...  AB does not go to the top of the class yet but Hingham gets knocked off their perch.   1. Woburn 2. Duxbury 3. AB 4. Hingham 5. St. Mary's 6. AC - could easily have put them 3, 4, 5.  I have absolutely no conviction here taking the coward's way out with picks 7 thru 10 7. Barnstable, Lexington, Norwood, Walpole  round out the top 10.     We'll have alot more clarity after this week.  If Lex loses to Arlington, Lex drops out Arlington is in.  Walpole has to beat Dedham on Saturday to stick.  Norwood just knocked off high scoring Dedham.  The only reaason they weren't mentioned last week is because of of the lose of top netminder but it appears their defense has compensated nicely.   
    hey ghdad-
    I'm okay with all but Deluxebury; they have played nobody of significance.  Scrapped by weak Falmouth team and Walpole (who barely beat lowly NN and tied a weak Braintree team). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : hey ghdad- I'm okay with all but Deluxebury; they have played nobody of significance.  Scrapped by weak Falmouth team and Walpole (who barely beat lowly NN and tied a weak Braintree team). 
    Posted by Go Beez[/QUOTE]

Go Beez - I can't speak to Falmouth but I do follow Walpole.  Walpole was all over Braintree up 2-0.  Took their foot off the gas (as inexperienced, young team will do) and let it get away.  They beat NN 4-0 and it could have been alot higher but for some excellent goaltending on NN.  The surprise was squeaking by Wellesly 2-1.  Score was not indicative of the play, with 80% of the game played in Wellesley's end.  Same can be said of Duxbury in the Walpole game.  4 -3 not idicative of play.  80% of game played in Walpole end.  Sometimes the scores can be deceiving.

I for one would like to remove the distinction between D1 and D2.  1 tournament for the girls.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Go Beez - I can't speak to Falmouth but I do follow Walpole.  Walpole was all over Braintree up 2-0.  Took their foot off the gas (as inexperienced, young team will do) and let it get away.  They beat NN 4-0 and it could have been alot higher but for some excellent goaltending on NN.  The surprise was squeaking by Wellesly 2-1.  Score was not indicative of the play, with 80% of the game played in Wellesley's end.  Same can be said of Duxbury in the Walpole game.  4 -3 not idicative of play.  80% of game played in Walpole end.  Sometimes the scores can be deceiving. I for one would like to remove the distinction between D1 and D2.  1 tournament for the girls.
    Posted by BSHockeyParent[/QUOTE]
    Got it! Agreed!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

But the size of the tournement field is somewhat dependant on the size of the divisions.  Right now it is close to 50% D1 and 50% D2 for girls, leaving around 40ish teams in both.  Combine them and the playoffs would almost certainly have to extend an extra week, which would bring the sport more into conflict with the spring sports.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeydad. Show ghockeydad's posts

[QUOTE]But the size of the tournement field is somewhat dependant on the size of the divisions.  Right now it is close to 50% D1 and 50% D2 for girls, leaving around 40ish teams in both.  Combine them and the playoffs would almost certainly have to extend an extra week, which would bring the sport more into conflict with the spring sports.
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE

It should only extend it 2 or 3 days max.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : [QUOTE]But the size of the tournement field is somewhat dependant on the size of the divisions.  Right now it is close to 50% D1 and 50% D2 for girls, leaving around 40ish teams in both.  Combine them and the playoffs would almost certainly have to extend an extra week, which would bring the sport more into conflict with the spring sports. Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE It should only extend it 2 or 3 days max.  

maybe they should just re-align and get the D2 teams that belong in D1 (Deluxebury,etc); and vice-versa?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

That is what is supposed to happen IIRC.   For example, some years back Woburn was D2 and then won in 2003 and moved to D1 in 2004.  Dedham won D2 in 2002 and moved to D1 in 2003.  Boston Latin won D2 in 2001 and moved to D1 in 2002.

It looks like the D2 winner has moved up to D1 pretty much every year.  As for the other teams, not much movement in general.  Not sure about teams which struggle in D1 dropping to D2 since the Masshockey site does not have those sorts of records readily available for past years that I could find. Tourny results, yah, overall standings, not so much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]That is what is supposed to happen IIRC.   For example, some years back Woburn was D2 and then won in 2003 and moved to D1 in 2004.  Dedham won D2 in 2002 and moved to D1 in 2003.  Boston Latin won D2 in 2001 and moved to D1 in 2002. It looks like the D2 winner has moved up to D1 pretty much every year.  As for the other teams, not much movement in general.  Not sure about teams which struggle in D1 dropping to D2 since the Masshockey site does not have those sorts of records readily available for past years that I could find. Tourny results, yah, overall standings, not so much.
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE]

Haven't done the research but sure doesn't look like its happening...

BayState Herget is shaping up as a very competitive, tight league. 
    Norwood, Walpole, Dedham all within a game of each other.  Natick and Wellesley are both in danger of being out of the running early if they don't step it up tonight.

Wellesley v Norwood:  Still think Norwood can be had if someone can just get past their D.
    Dedham v Natick:  Surprised Natick is 2-2.  I expected more from them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I know in the past someone floated the idea of a girls super 8 tourney grabbing the "8 best teams" like the boys do.  In that case it would likely grab a D2 team or two as well to fill out the field.  The problem there then becomes what is left and how well those tourneys would play out and draw fans.  The teams at the top are generally the teams that travel well and will draw fans to their playoff games.  No one is getting rich, but I am sure that is part of the question the MIAA has to ask themselves.

If the same half dozen teams stay at the top year after year for a while (which was what was happening in the boys side with the catholic schools largely), then something like that might be worth looking into.  Set up the top tier programs in their own tourney and give all the rest a shot at the regular D1 and D2 titles.  It has a certain fan appeal I am sure.  It would also help answer some of the who is really better at the end of the season.  With the round robin 3 games for all the teams, that also gives those top teams a second chance so just one off night does not take them down in the first couple of games.  Same arguement that happening years ago for the boys.

D1 - semifinalists
    2001 - Fontbonne, Brookline, Lexington, Matignon
    2002 - Fontbonne, Lexington, Boston Latin, Austin Prep
    2003 - Boston Latin, Austin Prep, Needham, Dedham
    2004 - Dedham, Woburn, Wakefield, Lincoln-Sudbury
    2005 - Dedham, Woburn, Needham, Brookline
    2006 - Woburn, Canton, Austin Prep, St Marys
    2007 - Austin Prep, St Marys, Arlington Catholic, Lexington
    2008 - St Marys, Woburn, Arlington, Wakefield
    2009 - St Marys, Woburn, Arlington, Hingham
    2010 - St Marys, Woburn, Hingham, Acton Boxborough
    2011 - Woburn, Hingham, Acton Boxboriugh, Winthrop Lynn

You know looking over that list, we might well already be at the point where a Super 8 was merited.  Many of those slots are being filled with the same teams year after year, with occasional new blood hitting the semi finals.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Onrust. Show Onrust's posts

As an added wrinkle to the discussion about the girls tourney - I have heard from multiple coaches that there is going to be a division 3 created for the 2012-2013 season

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

[QUOTE]As an added wrinkle to the discussion about the girls tourney - I have heard from multiple coaches that there is going to be a division 3 created for the 2012-2013 season
    Posted by Onrust[/QUOTE]

This is interesting - but not sure how this would be done as the current MIAA alignments in girls hockey do not expire until the end of 2012-2013 winter season. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Not sure there are really enough teams to justify that.  Masshockey has just 79 girls teams combined right now.  42 D1 and 37 D2 teams.  23 D1 teams made the playoffs and 18 D2 teams made them.  If you break into 3 equal divisions, that will each with under 30 teams (26.33).  Would those divisions be on size or success.

If the goal is to give more teams a legit shot at post season success to rally around, and face it, that is a factor, then the "super 8" type scheme would do that.  Each year take the top 8 teams out of D1 and D2 combined for that tournement and then you will end up with a lot more competitive games.  Those 8 - 0 , 9-1 and 11-0 games sometimes see in the first round are not good for either team.  Most of those games happen when one of the top teams plays the 16th or lower seed they run into.  Some of those talent gaps are large.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Haven't done the research but sure doesn't look like its happening... BayState Herget is shaping up as a very competitive, tight league.  Norwood, Walpole, Dedham all within a game of each other.  Natick and Wellesley are both in danger of being out of the running early if they don't step it up tonight. Wellesley v Norwood:  Still think Norwood can be had if someone can just get past their D. Dedham v Natick:  Surprised Natick is 2-2.  I expected more from them.
    Posted by BSHockeyParent[/QUOTE]

Norwood let Wellesley hang around and paid for it with a tie.  Wellesley really need to win this one to stay relevant in bid for Herget title.  Dedham squashed Natick.  Walpole rolled over Milton.  Its a 3 team race.  Walpole's next 2 games:  Dedham, then Norwood.  Dedham can't afford to chalk up another L and Walpole will certainly be looking for revenge after the refs gave the Mauraders a game last year that really set Walpole back.  Norwood provided a bluepring for beating Dedham - double team the freshman.  Should be a good one.  Norwood v Walpole needs no hype.  For these 2 teams its the Hatfields v the McCoys.