EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Bill.  Can you shed light on your comment regarding D2 and finances?  Its more expensive to play D1?  Why? Thanks 
    Posted by BSHockeyParent[/QUOTE]

Who is Bill? I believe the poster signed his post as "Bruce".

Anyway, I too would like to understand any financial differences between playing D1 vs D2.

One other point or perhaps a question. I don't recall any teams moving back dow to D2 from D1. I assume its possible but does it happen?

Thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Who is Bill? I believe the poster signed his post as "Bruce". Anyway, I too would like to understand any financial differences between playing D1 vs D2. One other point or perhaps a question. I don't recall any teams moving back dow to D2 from D1. I assume its possible but does it happen? Thanks.
    Posted by ghockeyfan[/QUOTE]

Bill = Bruce.  Hadn't had enough coffee :-)

Bruce - you now have an even wider audience.  

BTW Posters - you can follow Mr. Lerch on Twitter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Look the referee situation is not limited to just Hockey, I used to see it all the time in Soccer too.  Given how much grief many refs get (deserved or not) it is lucky at times to get anyone out there.  (and unlike soccer, you also need another skill set (skating) since we presume everyone can at least run/trot on the fields). 

One possible finance issue I can think of, is that the MIAA might have some seating capacity requirements for D1 vs D2 programs, and as such some of the smaller rinks might not have the seats in the building to host those games, which would require the teams to book at other venues which might cost most for ice time.  I know when it comes to hosting football playoff games the MIAA is really concerned about seating capacity and access control so they can maximize revenue from those games. 

I don't see roster size being the issue, and school size is also not the driving force in some of the decisions.  For Example in the Middlesex League Large Division, 2 of those six schools are in D2.  While 3 of the 5 teams in the ML Small are D1.  The schools are split up by student body sizes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Did a little digging on the MIAA website and it looks like they locked down the Divisions for Girls Hockey and Tennis teams a fews years back for a 5 year window.  Perhaps too many teams trying to jump up or down depending on the skills of their current crop of players.  Both of those expire after the 2013 seasons, so do not expect any changes before then.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch27. Show blerch27's posts

Finanaces are related to travel costs and Duxbury chooses to play it smartly from this perspective across the board in all sports. As far as I know, it's a minimum cost to a school of $400 for every road game. Multiply that across ALL sports and ALL seasons and you can see why it makes sense what they are doing.

Look at Duxbury's schedule and notice the location of every game they play. They do not stray from the South Shore other than to play Mount Saint Charles, and Woonsocket is still a lot shorter ride than Lynn. The Duxbury boys team played an independent schedule for years until the last realignment and they were reigned back into the Patriot League.

On refs, I don't know as fact but what BS Hockey Parent says matches what I have seen. The D3 boys games also feel your pain. I also cover lacrosse extensively and I see it there all the time. Refs try to do the best they can though. Some are better than others, of course, but they all work hard to try and get it right as often as they can.

Thanks for the follows. It's @blerch27 on Twitter. I tweet live from games that I am at when the schedule allows me to be there. I will wear 'Bill" as a badge of honor :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Just was looking over the masshshockey results and noticed this score,
    Bishop Fenwick 0 vs. Archbishop Williams 17 (i don't think its a misprint)
    I know this is probably a tough call but if you were the coach(archies) what would you have done? In my eyes 17 is a little too much but I wasn't there and I'm not familiar with BF.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]Just was looking over the masshshockey results and noticed this score, Bishop Fenwick 0 vs. Archbishop Williams 17 (i don't think its a misprint) I know this is probably a tough call but if you were the coach(archies) what would you have done? In my eyes 17 is a little too much but I wasn't there and I'm not familiar with BF.
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]
    Coach must be a real tool (filter forced me to change a more choice word!)  After 7 he should have played all the girls that don't normally play; after 10, they should have worked on their passing skills.  What comes around, goes around and when it happens, let him feel the pain that I'm sure the BF girls must have felt after that game.  AW coach should feel great about discouraging girls from ever playing again.  Yeah, I know a few of you are going to come back at me with the old Belicheck theory, etc so go ahead unless you have a heart.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

The Belicheck stuff only really applies to Pros who are paid to play.  Their self esteem is not in question.  The problem can be a tough one. 

As a coach of youth soccer I faced similar situations a few times.  At some point it can almost be worse to try and not score since kids have a hard time being discreet about it, and then it becomes even more embarassing.   I know I had goalies playing forward, small strikers trying to play goalie, etc.  While we never hit a ridiculous double digit margin like this, there were a few 7 or 8 to 0's in the season. 

Sometimes things just all go in and combined with goalies having off days, it can look real bad.  BF is really struggling this year based on their record, and no idea about the program really.  You want to ease, but you also don't want to be condescending, players know the difference.  playing too much "keep away" by passing can almost end up as taunting.  Its a bad situation.  One thing you can do is make sure the Refs keep a running clock and don't stop it once things get out of hand like that.  That works to an extent.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Archbishop Williams took it on the chin when they played St Marys and lost 9 to 0. 

Looks like BF has not much in the way of a D (or perhaps goalie) this season since they have had 8 games giving up 10 or more goals.  Ouch! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Just a little post season D1 update.  Watertown/Melrose will be forfeiting Feb. 4 against Wakefield and Feb. 8th against Wilmington due to the use of an ineligible player.  There record is now 9-7-1.  They still should qualify for the tourney as they have Medford and Burlington on the docket.  They then finish with Belmont, Lynn and Mary's.  What will be impacted is there overall winning percentage and thus their seeding.  We'll have to see how it shakes out on 2/25/12 when the seeding are announced.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]Just a little post season D1 update.  Watertown/Melrose will be forfeiting Feb. 4 against Wakefield and Feb. 8th against Wilmington due to the use of an ineligible player.  There record is now 9-7-1.  They still should qualify for the tourney as they have Medford and Burlington on the docket.  They then finish with Belmont, Lynn and Mary's.  What will be impacted is there overall winning percentage and thus their seeding.  We'll have to see how it shakes out on 2/25/12 when the seeding are announced.
    Posted by goodtime19[/QUOTE]

Wakefield is now 9-5-2 and 2 points closer to post season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]Just a little post season D1 update.  Watertown/Melrose will be forfeiting Feb. 4 against Wakefield and Feb. 8th against Wilmington due to the use of an ineligible player.  There record is now 9-7-1.  They still should qualify for the tourney as they have Medford and Burlington on the docket.  They then finish with Belmont, Lynn and Mary's.  What will be impacted is there overall winning percentage and thus their seeding.  We'll have to see how it shakes out on 2/25/12 when the seeding are announced.

a ringer? how ineligible? teams still cheat?

unreal

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : a ringer? how ineligible? teams still cheat? unreal
    Posted by sleeper3[/QUOTE]

My guess is academic ineligibility since it was only 2 games forfeited in the middle of the season.  They must have been informed of the issue prior to their games with Stoneham and Medford as those contests count. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : My guess is academic ineligibility since it was only 2 games forfeited in the middle of the season.  They must have been informed of the issue prior to their games with Stoneham and Medford as those contests count. 

Oh Rink Man ... That is your "guess".. You know it is because the AD for Watertown never gave the coach a list of academically ineligible players (1) as they are suppose to and once he realized his mistake he contacted the coach and now the coach and the players have to bare the burden of his blunder.  To sad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Oh Rink Man ... That is your "guess".. You know it is because the AD for Watertown never gave the coach a list of academically ineligible players (1) as they are suppose to and once he realized his mistake he contacted the coach and now the coach and the players have to bare the burden of his blunder.  To sad.
    Posted by penaltybox[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  When it comes to the blame pie, it's 80 percent the AD's fault.  It's a 10/10 for the coach and player after that.  Coaches should have a vested interested in how their players are going.  Back many many moons ago when I played our coach (who was not a teacher in the school) did 2 things: ask us the players how we were doing and ask our teachers to alert him if any of us were not making grades, showing up for class or acting unbecoming of a student athlete. If the player was struggling in a class she should have alerted coach as a head's up.  Sorry, probably should get off the soap box before it breaks.  Your point is valid and you are right it is sad for the players on Watertown.  Hopefully they can use this as a rallying point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Instead of looking this up on the MIAA site, I'd figure I would just ask. What grades are needed to be academically ineligible to play, well not needed or wanted but you know what I mean!!
    Also, Does the AD or Coach notify the MIAA and in Watertowns case what if they never did and just kept it hush?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Agreed.  When it comes to the blame pie, it's 80 percent the AD's fault.  It's a 10/10 for the coach and player after that.  Coaches should have a vested interested in how their players are going.  Back many many moons ago when I played our coach (who was not a teacher in the school) did 2 things: ask us the players how we were doing and ask our teachers to alert him if any of us were not making grades, showing up for class or acting unbecoming of a student athlete. If the player was struggling in a class she should have alerted coach as a head's up.  Sorry, probably should get off the soap box before it breaks.  Your point is valid and you are right it is sad for the players on Watertown.  Hopefully they can use this as a rallying point.

The coach has always had a vested interest in his players.  Past practice has always been that a list comes down from the AD/Principal on ineligible student athletes if there are any.  Since the player wasn't told either until it was too late, I can't really blame a 14/15 year old student either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from penaltybox. Show penaltybox's posts

[QUOTE]Instead of looking this up on the MIAA site, I'd figure I would just ask. What grades are needed to be academically ineligible to play, well not needed or wanted but you know what I mean!! Also, Does the AD or Coach notify the MIAA and in Watertowns case what if they never did and just kept it hush?
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]

Not really sure what the actual "ineligibility" parameters are.  Whether failing a course or incomplete, etc.  The AD has to notify the teams and MIAA of the ineligibility. With regard to keeping it hush...they probably could have, but have to give them credit for doing the right thing under the circumstances.  It sucks for all the girls, they are the ones that pay for the oversight.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]Instead of looking this up on the MIAA site, I'd figure I would just ask. What grades are needed to be academically ineligible to play, well not needed or wanted but you know what I mean!! Also, Does the AD or Coach notify the MIAA and in Watertowns case what if they never did and just kept it hush?
    Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]

I think this is the applicable section ...

58. Student Eligibility: Academic Requirements
    58.1 A student must secure during the last marking period preceding the contest (e.g. second quarter marks and not semester grades determine third quarter eligibility) a passing grade, and full credit, in the equivalent of four traditional year long major English courses. A transfer student .... blah blah blah

And it goes on from there....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Posted by wtcash[/QUOTE]

Note: The MIAA academic eligibility standards are designed to ensure that a student is fully enrolled in school and actively engaged in his/her academic life on a consistent basis throughout the school year. When utilizing a 4 x 4 block schedule, a student must pass at least two of the four required ‘major’ courses

There is a lot of grey area when it comes to eligiblity.  I say that because some school have a stiffer requirement then that esstablished by the MIAA.  So a athelete could be okay on the MIAA standard but not on the school standard.  So the school would them deem that player ineligible.  This is not the norm, but it is in place in some schools.

There is also another component to the Watertown/Melrose issue:

58.8 All cooperative team athletes must meet the eligibility standards of their own school as well as the host school.

So if the athelete was from Melrose she needs to be eligible under Waterown standards.

The AD or principal notifies the MIAA.  Schools must self report.  I am unaware of the penalty if they fail to report.  I would assume if they get caught by MIAA, all games are forfeited at a minimum.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : The coach has always had a vested interest in his players.  Past practice has always been that a list comes down from the AD/Principal on ineligible student athletes if there are any.  Since the player wasn't told either until it was too late, I can't really blame a 14/15 year old student either.
    Posted by penaltybox[/QUOTE]

I agree it's probably not on the mind of a 14/15 yr old athlete but it is not as if one day you just fail a class.  If you as a student athlete are struggling with a course I feel you would know prior to being informed you ineligible.

I also agree on the common practice.  List comes out and AD notifies coaches.  I just think you can never be too careful when you leave it in the AD's hands.  It can't hurt to have the coach do one check here or there via email with the students teacher to see where the team is at.

And you are 100 percent spot on it stinks for the girls.

Side note, Cambridge Boys had a similar issue this year and it cost them 4 wins and a possible shot at post season.  It had to do with a 5th yr waiver form not being submitted timely.  There was a bit more behind the scenes but in the end it only hurts the athletes when adults make these mistakes.

Good luck to the Lady Raiders and there supporters.  This will be a stumbling block but will give them something to rally around.  They will make the post season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Thanks for all that information and hopefully Watertown/Melrose make it in the tournament, for their sake and especially for that student, wouldn't want that hanging over anyone's head.
     A students first priority is of course academics which should be any AD's or coaches. I didn't want to imply that they should have hidden the fact, I was just wondering how close is it monitored.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

Herald Bracketology out.  Go to Heralds "In the slot"  http://bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/in_the_slot  check the right side menus

And what's up with Norwood?  Coach O'Donnell doesn't post any stats anywhere?  He posted them last year.  I am very sure that Emily Kelly would be a top 10 scorer and Haley O'Rourke and Kacie Smith would probably be in the top 25.  Is he trying to fly under the radar? 

Norwood is having an great offensive year.  It would be nice if their individual kids got the recognition they deservere.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

As for the points etc, he could also be concerned that like it or not having information like that could be detrimental to TEAM play and lead to more INDIVIDUAL centered play at times.  I need this point to be in the top 10, taking the shot....and miss passing to a teammate with a better one perhaps.  Or a goalie gets too concerned about her goals against and less about winning and gets unduly annoyed about letting one past, and then loses concentration and lets more past.  That stuff can happen.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

Pete - I see your point but I think the kids know their stats regardless.  I guess you can make the argument that if its not published then you remove the "publicity" incentive but my opinion is they should be published.  Just my $0.02