EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

Oh I agree the players know what they are doing and how they are doing without a doubt.  Its just that knowing exactly how you stand with respect to all the other players in the state can be a powerful incentive for some "I" play, vs "team" play.  Even if just subconsiously.  (On the other hand, he just might not have gotten around to it.  I know the Woburn girls only showed up with their stats a little while ago, perhaps coaches wanted to wait until there was a substantial body of work to document.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

Well well well, seems like Duxbury beat Hingham 3-0. Whether or not its the financial part or just being stubborn I believe that the time has come to enter D1! Its just an embarrassment for such a talented team heading into the D2 tournament. I also see that Belmont tied Woburn, could be another team moving up, but in Belmont defense, the upcoming talent isn't even close to Duxbury's!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaRocket. Show DaRocket's posts

Anyone know why Kaleigh Finigan transferred from AP to STM?  Really killed AP's offense.  I believe she has about the same number of goals this year as the entire Austin team.  Just wondered if there was a story behind the move.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeydad2012. Show hockeydad2012's posts

how does that work? aren't transfers supose to sit out 1 year or 1 season?? didn't  a girl transfer from Medford to? recruit who recruits

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]how does that work? aren't transfers supose to sit out 1 year or 1 season?? didn't  a girl transfer from Medford to? recruit who recruits
    Posted by hockeydad2012[/QUOTE]

Hi Hockeydad-
    Maybe the two school Principals have the final say... I found the following in the MIAA handbook....

57.4 The receiving High School Principal may utilize Form 200 to declare a transfer student eligible, providing it is prior to the start of the season and if the sending school Principal certifies the following (3a through 3e on Form 200):

a. Recruitment was not involved in any way.
      b. At the time of transfer, the student was in good standing.
      c. The student would be academically eligible at the sending school.
      d. The transfer was in no way motivated by athletics.
      e.The student would have been eligible by MIAA and local rules at the sending school.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtcash. Show wtcash's posts

[QUOTE]how does that work? aren't transfers supose to sit out 1 year or 1 season?? didn't  a girl transfer from Medford to? recruit who recruits
    Posted by hockeydad2012[/QUOTE]

Both are from Medford, which is why Both went over to SMH.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Waltham punched their post season ticket last night with a 2-0 win over LS.  That brings the total to 23 D1 teams in with Cambridge, Beverly, Springfield and Medway very very close to in.  So it looks like 27 teams.  There is one dark horse, AP.  AP is 6-11 but one L was an exclusion game so they are 6-10.  They need to go 4-0 to get in.  They have Ursuline, Archies, Newton North and either Sandwich or Ursline.  I think they could do it.  It will be fun to watch the last week.

D2 has 17 confirmed teams.  DY despite only playing 9 games is in.  They went 4-3-2.  I had missed them on my previous post.  Vineyard needs 2 point in last 4 games.  They have some okay opponents so it's no a lock but I think they will get in.  CC has to go no worst than 1-0-1 against Weston and BL to get in.  Joe's has to go 2-0-1 to qualify.  They have North Quincy and Hanover before consolation or championship game of cougar red.  Next Monday I will start getting into seedings and coin flips.  Once most of the field is down to 2-3 games left it is a bit easier to start and give diagnosis where teams are going to end up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

I guess for Woburns sake in the D1 tourney its a good thing that Belmont is D2...  Woburn just could not put Belmont away, even with the 3 to 1 lead they had.  Last game of the season against AB will be interesting to see how it plays out. Not sure it will affect the MIAA seeding that much unless some more upsets happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeydad2012. Show hockeydad2012's posts

thanks ghf for the info.I thought KF now at SMH was from Wakefield

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Since the teams in D1 post season are a bit easier to predict I created a bracket for D1 if the tourney started today.  This excludes AP in the post season at this point.  I will update Monday morning after weekend games.  Hopefully we will have a clearer picture of D2 by Monday and I will publish a D2 bracket as well. 

Follow or cut and paste the link to brackermaker where I have published my bracket. 
    http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?edit=1&tid=420311&tclass=

Current coin flips based on same win percentage:
    20 - 21
    22, 23, 24

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

Here is a very preliminary D2 bracket based on 19 teams.  It puts Vineyard in and then anyone of the 3 bubble teams as LAST TEAM.

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?edit=1&tid=420314&tclass=

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

[QUOTE]Here is a very preliminary D2 bracket based on 19 teams.  It puts Vineyard in and then anyone of the 3 bubble teams as LAST TEAM. http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?edit=1&tid=420314&tclass=
    Posted by goodtime19[/QUOTE]

GT19, phenomenal work there!  Very interesting take, In D2 only one thing missing, i believe that Ursuline is in as they tied for their conf championship (i think) so it's an automatic berth even though they don't meet the 50% qaulification.  Might change a few things if there are 20 teams.  The Herald's projected bracket changed quite drastically after last nights games.  Are your projections based on potential end of season records? or as of today records? 

You've made the day of many stat obsessed, too much time on their hands, hockey geeks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch2727. Show blerch2727's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : GT19, phenomenal work there!  Very interesting take, In D2 only one thing missing, i believe that Ursuline is in as they tied for their conf championship (i think) so it's an automatic berth even though they don't meet the 50% qaulification.  Might change a few things if there are 20 teams.  The Herald's projected bracket changed quite drastically after last nights games.  Are your projections based on potential end of season records? or as of today records?  You've made the day of many stat obsessed, too much time on their hands, hockey geeks!
    Posted by peaceonearth[/QUOTE]

Ursuline is in, as is Notre Dame Academy by virtue of a 3-way tie atop Catholic Conference with Fontbonne. All league champions go. Glad you are all enjoying Bracketology...JC works hard on that stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Ursuline is in, as is Notre Dame Academy by virtue of a 3-way tie atop Catholic Conference with Fontbonne. All league champions go. Glad you are all enjoying Bracketology...JC works hard on that stuff.
    Posted by blerch2727[/QUOTE]

JC's brackets are great.  Tell him we said so.  You should recruit members from this board to provide you in-game updates during the tournament.  You could then tweet them and we'd all be able to keep up on the action.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : GT19, phenomenal work there!  Very interesting take, In D2 only one thing missing, i believe that Ursuline is in as they tied for their conf championship (i think) so it's an automatic berth even though they don't meet the 50% qaulification.  Might change a few things if there are 20 teams.  The Herald's projected bracket changed quite drastically after last nights games.  Are your projections based on potential end of season records? or as of today records?  You've made the day of many stat obsessed, too much time on their hands, hockey geeks!
    Posted by peaceonearth[/QUOTE]

Peace you are correct on Ursuline and NDA.  Thanks for the help.  As far as D1, I projected the last few teams in based on who they have left to play and how many points they need to get in.

After Saturday's games most teams will be done or have 1 game left.  I will then go through and prognosticate where teams might end up based on there last game.

I will amend the D2 brackets this morning.

Some more numbers for ya.....

Of D1 tourney teams:
    Most GF's 89 Frankiln, SOS 47
    Most GA's 62 Marblehead, SOS 67 
    Most goal Dif. 67 AB, SOS 8
    Fewest GF's 37 Medway, SOS 50
    Fewest GA's 13 AB, SOS 8 
    Fewest goal Dif. 1 Waltham, SOS 54

Of D2 tourney teams:
    Most GF's 93 Norwood, SOS 22
    Most GA's 67 Fontbonne, SOS 6
    Most goal Dif. 75 Duxbury, SOS 3
    Fewest goal Dif. -11 Ursuline, SOS 7 (disregarded D-Y, 9 games)
    Fewest GF's 34 Ursuline, SOS 7
    Fewest GA's 14 Duxbury, SOS 3

79 D1 and D2 teams.  Strength of Schedule combined for both divisions.  Teams in tourney with higher than a SOS of 60:
    Alg/Hudson 60 D1
    Masco 61 D1
    Weston/Wayland 62 D1
    Cambridge 65 D1
    St. Bernards 66 D2
    Marblehead 67 D1
    Vineyard 70 D2
    Scituate 71 D2
    D-Y 73 D2

Teams with SOS under 21 not in tourney:
    Andover 9
    AP 10 (goes 4-0, they are in)
    WH/Pembroke 11
    Reading 15
    Winchester 21

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Ursuline is in, as is Notre Dame Academy by virtue of a 3-way tie atop Catholic Conference with Fontbonne. All league champions go. Glad you are all enjoying Bracketology...JC works hard on that stuff.
    Posted by blerch2727[/QUOTE]

Are you guys going to tweet or blog all the seedings from the MIAA this year on Feb 25th? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Wow, when you look at the upcoming games, there are actually a lot of games with top level teams facing off against each other, that could tip the whole MIAA seedings all over the place depending on the outcomes.  AB is playing both Woburn and SM, SM has AB and Duxbury and can be dangerous Watertown left.  Winthrop Lynn has Chelmsford and Watertown.  Since the MIAA is only on win percentage, if enough games go the right way, some teams could surprise with their seedings.

Another question, I thought the Hockey season was limited to 20 games, but I note that a few teams have more than that (SM has 22, AB has 21).  Are some of them excluded games from counting? If so, how does one find out, and how does that affect the win percentages or does it?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Given the bland results this year, I would think all media attention at Franklin on the 25th will be directed towards the "tooth pulling" to arrive at the 1A teams......

As the SOS means nothing, I still get amazed by those that are in love with it.  From a statistic standpoint, it doesn't mean anything til the season is over.  Then it still means nothing.  Seeds are done by record, except for the 1A.

A few things that are important.

This year will feature the largest number of participating teams in Girls MIAA Tournament history  !!!!

Thus, there will be "preliminary" games in both divisions.   So, expect games to commence very quickly.   Higher seed is hosting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

[QUOTE]Wow, when you look at the upcoming games, there are actually a lot of games with top level teams facing off against each other, that could tip the whole MIAA seedings all over the place depending on the outcomes.  AB is playing both Woburn and SM, SM has AB and Duxbury and can be dangerous Watertown left.  Winthrop Lynn has Chelmsford and Watertown.  Since the MIAA is only on win percentage, if enough games go the right way, some teams could surprise with their seedings. Another question, I thought the Hockey season was limited to 20 games, but I note that a few teams have more than that (SM has 22, AB has 21).  Are some of them excluded games from counting? If so, how does one find out, and how does that affect the win percentages or does it?
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE]

There are exclusion teams, that if scheduled, allow for up to two additional games.   Those games can be counted towards record, or not, with the decision done prior to the begining of the season.   In fact, last year one team excluded a game they won, that would have allowed them into the post season.   The list of teams, and the exclusion games are posted on the MIAA Web Site.  (Although it seems each year one or two are on the season schedules, that get left off the web site by clerical error.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : There are exclusion teams, that if scheduled, allow for up to two additional games.   Those games can be counted towards record, or not, with the decision done prior to the begining of the season.   In fact, last year one team excluded a game they won, that would have allowed them into the post season.   The list of teams, and the exclusion games are posted on the MIAA Web Site.  (Although it seems each year one or two are on the season schedules, that get left off the web site by clerical error.)
    Posted by cager[/QUOTE]

Well said.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsoxbs. Show patsoxbs's posts

I shudder to think what will happen when Norwood (the highest scoring of all D1/D2 teams) plays winless Bishop Fenwick on Saturday.  Taking the opposite approach of Dux/Hing/AB etc I guess.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]Given the bland results this year, I would think all media attention at Franklin on the 25th will be directed towards the "tooth pulling" to arrive at the 1A teams...... As the SOS means nothing, I still get amazed by those that are in love with it.  From a statistic standpoint, it doesn't mean anything til the season is over.  Then it still means nothing.  Seeds are done by record, except for the 1A. A few things that are important. This year will feature the largest number of participating teams in Girls MIAA Tournament history  !!!! Thus, there will be "preliminary" games in both divisions.   So, expect games to commence very quickly.   Higher seed is hosting.
    Posted by cager[/QUOTE]

I think SOS is a nice stat to monitor close to the end of a season.  A few years ago I began looking at the correlation between semi finalist in both D1 and D2 and there SOS at the end of that season.  I don't think it's any big surprise that teams with very difficult SOS were in the semi's 94 percent of the time.  But, from a who makes the tourney you are absolutely correct, SOS means nothing.  Just something I mess around with when bored.

As for the record number for teams in D1 and D2, what do we attribute that to?  Are more teams beating up on each other?  Are more teams picking on the weak?  Is girls hockey becoming more competitive?  Interesting to think about.  Post season could go 1 of 2 ways:
    Elite teams roll or it's a free for all from top to last seed

I believe the tourney starts Feb. 27th and concludes March 17th.  With more preliminary games this year the days off between games for teams should decrease.  This may allow for some teams to get into a nice rhythm.  I think it was tough in past years when teams played once a week.  Last year I think there was over a week between semi and final in D1.

My guess is Prelims 2-27 to 3-2
                    First 3-3 to 3-6
                    Quarter 3-8 to 3-10
                    Semi 3-12 to 3-14
                    Final 3-17

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Thanks found it

http://www.miaa.net/contentm/easy_pages/view.php?page_id=97&sid=38&menu_id=176

Only 2 games listed on the list however for girls hockey, so you are right, it appears not everything makes it to "the list".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks found it http://www.miaa.net/contentm/easy_pages/view.php?page_id=97&sid=38&menu_id=176 Only 2 games listed on the list however for girls hockey, so you are right, it appears not everything makes it to "the list".
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if you are referring to "the list" as the exclusionary list and if you are wondering why Mary's in not on it.  If that is the case, this may help.

Only teams who are playing the game as an exclusion (won't count towards post season) are on that list of games.  So Mary's played Fontbonne and NDA but they counted the games.  Since Mary's played an exclusion school they can play 2 more games and count 22 games.

A. Member schools (that are NOT exclusion schools) may exceed the maximum number of seasonal competitions by two and exceed the weekly limit by one, when scheduling contests with the schools listed. All games may count toward tournament qualification if desired.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch2727. Show blerch2727's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : JC's brackets are great.  Tell him we said so.  You should recruit members from this board to provide you in-game updates during the tournament.  You could then tweet them and we'd all be able to keep up on the action.
    Posted by BSHockeyParent[/QUOTE]

We'll be running the live chats again throughout the Super 8 games and we love to get updates on all other tourney action from pople there. I'm sure we'll be tweeting everything we get as well since that has become a big part of what we do this year. Speaking of which, I'll be tweeting from St. Mary's/Duxbury Saturday