EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012

In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : That was not a meaningless contest for Canton.  With the win they are now tied for the 11 seed with Scituate (13-7).  The 11th seed does not have to play in the preliminary round game either.  And the 11th seed has a very good Belmont team but not much else in that bracket.  The 12 seed has to play Ursuline in preliminary round, then Westwood and then Norwood.  Canton gave themselves a coin flip by defeating Walpole.  If Canton lost they would have been tied with Vineyard.  If they lost coin flip they would have seen Norwood in first round.
    Posted by goodtime19[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the insight GT.  I saw the canton win over norwood 7-5.  game could have gone either way.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSHockeyParent. Show BSHockeyParent's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Good, looks like the MV-Westwood game could have impact in D2 as well.  If Westwood loses looks to me like they will trade places in the bracket with Belmont.  If they tie they are in a coin flip with Belmont.  MV win puts them in a 3 way tie with canton and scituate.  Is this your take?  Kind of like when the last game can impact - keeps it interesting . . .
    Posted by peaceonearth[/QUOTE]

looks like a tie would force a coinflip.   The next questions is:
    If you are Canton / Scituate, who would you rather face:  Belmont or Westwood?  

And the question after that is:
    If I'm Westwood do I want to stay in the Duxbury bracket?  Not that I'd play to lose but.....  I am sure I would not treat this game as a "must win"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzygirl. Show fuzzygirl's posts

Bruce it was a pleasure to meet you and speak with you for a few minutes during Thursday's Cougar Classic....Nice write up.
    See ya around the rinks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodtime19. Show goodtime19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : Anyone seen Westwood play
    Posted by sportsforum[/QUOTE]

I have seen them play twice.  They are fast and maintain good puck possession.  They cycle well and run a good down low offense.

19, 5, 12 first line - very very good
    8, 9, 13 second line - good

D were hard on puck, some could rush.  Solid overall.

Goalie is solid, good glove and good upstairs.  Saw her get beat on low side to side movements.

The negative if this is one, they are very young.  Not too much tourney experience.  Have to see how that translates in the post season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeydad2012. Show hockeydad2012's posts

saw them play against Belmont. Belmont won 4 to 0 could have been 6 or more if not for the goalie. Belmont does have a older team 8 seniors and 5 juniors will be tuff to beat

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sleeper3. Show sleeper3's posts

[QUOTE]Looking through what is left for games I have two sets of projections for seedings. One if A/B either wins or ties vs. Woburn and locks up the #1 seed, and two if Woburn wins and creates a 3 way tie for the #1 seed with A/B and Westford Academy. #1 Based on A/B Getting a point vs. Woburn: 1 -A/B 2 -Westford Academy 3 - St. Mary's 4 - A/C 5 - Woburn 6 - Chelmsford 7 & 8 Tie - Winthrop/Lynn and Algonguin-Hudson 9 - Hingham (gets in to the tie at above with a win vs. Duxbury) 10 - Braintree 11 & 12 Tie - Lexington and Franklin 13 - Barnstable 14 & 15 Tie - Weymouth and Wakefield 16 - Billerica 17 - Marblehead/Swampscott 18 - Shrewsbury 19 - Watertown/Melrose 20 - Springfield Cathedral 21 - Beverly/Danvers 22 & 23 Tier - Masco Co-op and Wayland/Weston 24 - Cambirdge/Somerville 25 - Arlington 26 & 27 Tie - Waltham & Medway Ashland #1 Based on Woburn beating A/B: 1, 2 & 3 Tier- A/B, Westford Academy & Woburn 4 - St. Mary's 5 - A/C Everything below 5 stays the same (could be some changes if some games today or tomorrow come out differently. Should be an interesting tournament as 8 or 9 teams may have a legitimate shot at winning it all.
    Posted by shoot2score[/QUOTE]

how many bye's with 27 teams?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

AB 4 - Woburn 3, exciting game with lots chances on both sides, some great saves, some I am sure both goalies want back.  Game could have gone either way, it was 2 - 2 after two periods.  Expect to see both these teams go deep.  Game started getting a little chippy in the 3rd, as both sides had D trying to aggressively clear out opponents near the crease.  There were also a couple of (in my opinion) good noncalls as both girls were going for the puck and collided (and both went down).  Overall a decent job by the officials.

At least 3 of the AB goals went high into the net, one on a deflection off a defensewoman.  Woburn Goalie had little chance on those.  AB goalie had no chance on the first two Woburn goals as Woburn ran an excellent rotation play and got the puck to open shooter on the far side both times, but the third was a scrum shot that squeaked thru the 5-hole with about 5 minutes to go.  I am sure the AB goalie wants that one back.  AB goalie made a nice catch on a high floating fluttering shot from the blue line as time ran out (it would have been real close if it would have counted had it escaped her grab, I think it would have been a hair late, but man that was close.)   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsoxbs. Show patsoxbs's posts

In response to "Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : looks like a tie would force a coinflip.   The next questions is: If you are Canton / Scituate, who would you rather face:  Belmont or Westwood?   And the question after that is: If I'm Westwood do I want to stay in the Duxbury bracket?  Not that I'd play to lose but.....  I am sure I would not treat this game as a "must win" Posted by BSHockeyParent[/QUOTE] Smart Westwood coach. Vineyard 3-2.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : how many bye's with 27 teams?
    Posted by sleeper3[/QUOTE]

5 Byes

If #teams is greater than 16 then
    the number of byes is
    16 - (#teams - 16) = #byes

For D1: 16 - (27 - 16) = 5 Byes
    For D2: 16 - (20 - 16) = 12 Byes

or you could just do: 32 - #teams Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch2727. Show blerch2727's posts

[QUOTE]Bruce it was a pleasure to meet you and speak with you for a few minutes during Thursday's Cougar Classic....Nice write up. See ya around the rinks.
    Posted by fuzzygirl[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you caught me:) I'm sure I'll be seeing you again over the next few weeks

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]AB 4 - Woburn 3, exciting game with lots chances on both sides, some great saves, some I am sure both goalies want back.  Game could have gone either way, it was 2 - 2 after two periods.  Expect to see both these teams go deep.  Game started getting a little chippy in the 3rd, as both sides had D trying to aggressively clear out opponents near the crease.  There were also a couple of (in my opinion) good noncalls as both girls were going for the puck and collided (and both went down).  Overall a decent job by the officials. At least 3 of the AB goals went high into the net, one on a deflection off a defensewoman.  Woburn Goalie had little chance on those.  AB goalie had no chance on the first two Woburn goals as Woburn ran an excellent rotation play and got the puck to open shooter on the far side both times, but the third was a scrum shot that squeaked thru the 5-hole with about 5 minutes to go.  I am sure the AB goalie wants that one back.  AB goalie made a nice catch on a high floating fluttering shot from the blue line as time ran out (it would have been real close if it would have counted had it escaped her grab, I think it would have been a hair late, but man that was close.)   
    Posted by PetefromNorthofBoston[/QUOTE]
    Good summary of an excellent, exciting, back and forth game; I was very impressed with Woburn goalie, she is very, very good and is very confident.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from magellann. Show magellann's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2011-2012 : 5 Byes If #teams is greater than 16 then the number of byes is 16 - (#teams - 16) = #byes For D1: 16 - (27 - 16) = 5 Byes For D2: 16 - (20 - 16) = 12 Byes or you could just do: 32 - #teams
    Posted by ghockeyfan[/QUOTE]

Right on GH, so after the byes the brackets will be at 16, 16 is what sets up the number of bye, just fininshing your thoughts big guy.

So in rewiew, get to 16
    than 8
    than 4
    than see you at the Garden.

Good luck ladies, looks like there about 5-6 teams that could win this, BUT being in a good bracket is so important, let the other teams beat up on each other and you may have a easier route to the Garden. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shoot2score. Show shoot2score's posts

Anyone know the results of the coin flips in the girls Division 1 brackets between:

6 & 7 Algonquin Hudson and Chelmsford.
    11 & 12 Lexington and Franklin
    14 & 15 Wakefield and Weymouth
    21, 22 & 23 Beverly/Danvers, Masconoment, Wayland/Weston
    24 & 25 Arlington and Cambridge/Somerville
    26 & 27 Waltham and Medway/Ashland

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from blerch27. Show blerch27's posts

Seeds are all posted on our blog for those who weren't able to to follow on twetter

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]Seeds are all posted on our blog for those who weren't able to to follow on twetter
    Posted by blerch27[/QUOTE]

Here are the MIAA Links

Division 1 Seeds:
    http://miaa.statebrackets.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=2393

Division 2 Seeds:
    http://miaa.statebrackets.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=2394

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

To any of you who may be new to the girls forum or just to remind all of you....

If you go to the MassHsHockey.com Tournament page
    http://masshshockey.com/tournament09.html

You can see all the Mass HS Hockey brackets.

But wait that's not the good part...

After you select a bracket for viewing there is a link on the top left that says: "Predict It!"

You will need to create an account but once you do you can enter your predictions all the way through to the finals.

Its pretty nice, it keeps track of everyones predictions and awards points for each round.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cager. Show cager's posts

Preliminary and First Round are hosted by higher seed.   Delays in posting are usually caused by rink/school working out details.

AW/Fonty winner vs Duxbury is set for Friday.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from four-green-fields. Show four-green-fields's posts

Interesting first round games - Medway-Ashland-Millis-Holliston vs Winthrop-Lynn-Revere-Saugus.  Winthrop/Lynn/Revere/Saugus is led by two 7th grade goalies, three 8th grade forwards and three 8th grade defensemen.

Eight towns, 8 non-high school players.  Can somebody explain to me how this is D1 high school hockey? .......I didn't think so

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well all those teams acheived a .500 or better record this season against whomever was on their schedule.  As has been talked about before, D1 vs D2 changes are not an option until after the 2013 season is over.  Teams need a critical mass of players to even play games, and in some towns/communities the number of young women seeking to play hockey is too low, unless they band together and in some cases expand to include middle school players.   Not too many teams with middle school players have otherwise full rosters if they did not.  A team like AB for example, would hardly be able to play with just a high school roster (9 of the 21 players on the roster are middle school players) (4 Freshwomen, 4 Soph, 2 Jr and 2 Sr's listed on the roster).  12 players is not enough to safely support a season long program on the ice. 

What towns with those teams need to do is to try and encourage more youth participation in hockey leagues and whatnot, BUT, hockey is not a cheap sport to play and is likely out of the reach of many families for simple reasons of cost and being available to get kids to rinks at all hours of the day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from four-green-fields. Show four-green-fields's posts

[QUOTE]Well all those teams acheived a .500 or better record this season against whomever was on their schedule.  As has been talked about before, D1 vs D2 changes are not an option until after the 2013 season is over.  Teams need a critical mass of players to even play games, and in some towns/communities the number of young women seeking to play hockey is too low, unless they band together and in some cases expand to include middle school players.   Not too many teams with middle school players have otherwise full rosters if they did not.  A team like AB for example, would hardly be able to play with just a high school roster (9 of the 21 players on the roster are middle school players) (4 Freshwomen, 4 Soph, 2 Jr and 2 Sr's listed on the roster).  12 players is not enough to safely support a season long program on the ice.  What towns with those teams need to do is to try and encourage more youth participation in hockey leagues and whatnot, BUT, hockey is not a cheap sport to play and is likely out of the reach of many families for simple reasons of cost and being available to get kids to rinks at all hours of the day.

Great information Pete and you are making my point.  This is not high school hockey.  It is a glorified youth league.  We have girls from 13 years old up to 18 years old playing for a team that represents many towns and many more schools.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

[QUOTE]Well all those teams acheived a .500 or better record this season against whomever was on their schedule.  As has been talked about before, D1 vs D2 changes are not an option until after the 2013 season is over.  Teams need a critical mass of players to even play games, and in some towns/communities the number of young women seeking to play hockey is too low, unless they band together and in some cases expand to include middle school players.   Not too many teams with middle school players have otherwise full rosters if they did not.  A team like AB for example, would hardly be able to play with just a high school roster (9 of the 21 players on the roster are middle school players) (4 Freshwomen, 4 Soph, 2 Jr and 2 Sr's listed on the roster).  12 players is not enough to safely support a season long program on the ice.  What towns with those teams need to do is to try and encourage more youth participation in hockey leagues and whatnot, BUT, hockey is not a cheap sport to play and is likely out of the reach of many families for simple reasons of cost and being available to get kids to rinks at all hours of the day.
    Pete -
    Well said!  It's better to have 7th and 8th graders versus no team at all.  These young girls are getting great experience at a high level which will only make them better players for the future.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

You can find a lot of roster info on many teams on the Masshshockey site.  Woburn for example (in which there are many kids in youth leagues) has only HS kids on the 20 person varsity roster.  That is possible due to having an excellent feeder system from the various youth leagues.  They have also had a history of success and like it or not, that brings more interest and participation to the sport at the HS level.  Having a program with just the minimum roster size (not sure what it is at the HS level) and struggling to compete in games, is not a recipe for attracting more players.  Your team at least needs to be competitive or have a history of success, especially in a sport like hockey with so much time and money commitment.   (The other sport with locked down Divisions - Tennis, has many haves and have-nots (look at the W/L records at the end of the season there too), but the time and cost to play is minimal in comparison meaning that kids can join up with little trouble and learn on the fly.)

Most schools have some tennis courts either on school grounds or nearby ones that the town or city maintains to use.    Hockey to succeed really needs to keep as many options open to play for the youngsters.  From a physical growth standpoint, many of the middle school players I have seen are on a par with their high school counterparts in girls sports.  This would not be true for boys however, since they do not mature quite as fast physically.  Now mental maturity is another thing, and that I cannot make any assertions that the young players are a match for the veterans, they are not.  Which is also why you tend to see more upperclassmen based teams go deep into the tourements year after year.  Experience counts.  Talent and Experience counts even more. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HockeyDad70. Show HockeyDad70's posts

Anyone have any idea when/where the D2 Girls quarterfinals are this year?  Last year they were on Sunday in Foxboro.
    Thanks all!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghockeyfan. Show ghockeyfan's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone have any idea when/where the D2 Girls quarterfinals are this year?  Last year they were on Sunday in Foxboro. Thanks all!
    Posted by HockeyDad70[/QUOTE]

Chances are that they will be back in Foxboro again this year. Here is the criteria used by the MIAA ...

D. Neutral Sites - Sites will be selected with the following criteria in mind:
    1. Health and safety of the participants
    2. Comfort and safety of the fans including adequate seating and
    parking
    3. Relative travel requirements for participating schools
    4. Ability to collect tickets in a secure manner
    5. Court or field size meets requirements as established for that sport
    6. Facility expenses and site budget

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icing-2. Show Icing-2's posts

Ahhh....Same old discussions.........Some things never change!!!

The old 7th and 8th grade debate.......I would tend to think that the people that are fore it are either parents of a team that has them or parents of them.  Ask a Senior in high school if she likes playing with a 12yr old on their team...My guess is no....I know my daughter, who played 4 years of Varsity hockey, would tell you flat out that she would rather there be no team than play with 7th and 8th graders, there is lots of talk in the locker room and yes Girls have big POTTY Mouths!!....This system is abused!!!!....Hate to say it but if you do not have enough players for a team then there is not enough intrest to have a program, don't have it....98% of the players playing HS hockey will not play after High School graduation..............There are pleanty of "All Star" High School players who never laced them up again after the finished their last HS game!!! On another note looks like several schools took advantage of scheduling Exempt schools, and did not count the games and it backfired on them....Looking at the Brackets it looks like it will be an interesting tournament season..Still say the path to the Championship still goes through St Mary's