EMASS Girls Hockey 2012-2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeydad02481. Show hockeydad02481's posts

Re: EMASS Girls Hockey 2012-2013

Wellesley with an outstanding performance against Fontbonne the other night.  Outplayed and down 2-1 after 1, they played a tremendous 2nd and 3rd period to beat a good FB team.

looks like hd12 and patsoxBS have Walpole axes to grind.  Grow up boys/girls and enjoy the playoff hockey.  If you actually watched girls regular season hockey games, you would know the refereeing has been atrocious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sudco. Show sudco's posts

I'm not one to harp on the refs, but the officiating for the Reading-AB girls game last night was atrocious.  Three 5 on 3 advantages awarded to AB in the first period alone, on mostly ticky tack calls led to two power play goals.  When allowed to play 5 on 5, it was good hockey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

sudco, that can easily be due to what leagues those refs generally work.  Some allow a lot of physical play, others do not.  It sounds like Reading was getting ready for their "normal ML style game" and the refs might not have been.  I know when A/B played Reading earlier in the year that was a physical game based on all the write-ups.  Reading probably came out looking for contact and got called for it.  Too bad, but refs will always have this effect on games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sudco. Show sudco's posts

Yeah, could be.  What I have seen in my daughter's two tourney games is EVERYTHING is being let go, leading to more physical - bordering on dirty - hockey.  It's all relative, I guess.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from spj8. Show spj8's posts

Austin playing tomorrow night in their home rink? Doesn't seem right, after first round the games are supposed to be at a neutral site. Anyone know why the SM/AP game was scheduled for tomorrow night in Stoneham and not pushed to Woburn on Wednesday so AP wouldn't get home ice advantage?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shoot2score. Show shoot2score's posts

In response to spj8's comment:

Austin playing tomorrow night in their home rink? Doesn't seem right, after first round the games are supposed to be at a neutral site. Anyone know why the SM/AP game was scheduled for tomorrow night in Stoneham and not pushed to Woburn on Wednesday so AP wouldn't get home ice advantage?

Agreed -no reason the lowest remaining seed should be given the opportunity to have a home game in this round. Can understand not having both the games in the SM/AP, Wob/Bil bracket in Woburn on Wednesday, but could easily move either of the other quarterfinal games BD/AC, WA/AB to Tuesday at Stoneham.

Think if SM pushed it MIAA would move it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyhappy. Show hockeyhappy's posts

In response to shoot2score's comment:

Was wondering the same - Wellesley has home game at Babson against Westwood.  Doesn't seem fair.

Agreed -no reason the lowest remaining seed should be given the opportunity to have a home game in this round. Can understand not having both the games in the SM/AP, Wob/Bil bracket in Woburn on Wednesday, but could easily move either of the other quarterfinal games BD/AC, WA/AB to Tuesday at Stoneham.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

In response to pp29's comment:

Duxbury 1 Walpole 0.  Must have been a good game...

Through 30 minutes this game was even, maybe a slight edge to Duxbury, but very slight.  Duxbury came out in the 3rd and pressured Walpole considerably in the first 4 minutes.  But Walpole hung on.  As game got deeper and deeper, you began to know all it was going to take was one goal to win this game.  #7 for Walpole shut down #13 for Duxbury approximately 6-7 times.  You felt Duxbury crowd getting a little nervous.  Then at 12:17 of the 3rd period, #27 for Duxbury (their best skater IMHO) beat an inexperienced Walpole defender when the Walpole defender overplayed #27 at Walpole's defensive blue line.  #27 was able to walk around said defensman along the boards and break in alone on the Walpole goalie and bury the puck in the net. Walpole did have a couple of opportunities, but RM is one tough goalie.  Walpole had a 2 on 1 with about 6 minutes left, but the cross ice pass was too far and therefore no opportunity.  #6 and #7 for Walpole did have a couple of good shots, but you usually need better than good to beat RM. Kudos to Walpole goalie who played her best games in the postseason. Refs forgot their whistles in the first. (which was a slight advantage to Walpole since they are less talented and cannot afford PKs against the likes of Duxbury) 2nd period started to get a little too physical, so the refs called about the 8th most offensive "penalty."  It was to get the players attention, so not a bad thing.  Penalty calls were close to even. (Last time first 6 penalties called in Walpole-Duxbury game were all on Walpole, so a little equity is always appreciated) Does anyone know the call on #13 for Duxbury at the end?  She threw a punch and got a penalty, but because the game was over, the penalty was not announced.  I guess she did not get a fighting or game DQ, as she played yesterday. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shoot2score. Show shoot2score's posts

In response to hockeyhappy's comment:

Was wondering the same - Wellesley has home game at Babson against Westwood.  Doesn't seem fair.

At least Wellesley is the higher seed getting the home game in that one.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

MIAA = $$$, you can bet the games are placed where they expect to get the best gate.

As for Wellesley, I guess even home Ice could not save them tonight. 

As for SM, if any team is indifferent to Home/Road ice I would put them in that class, they travel VERY well from all I have seen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fieldofdreams. Show fieldofdreams's posts

Game was moved based on both schools wanting to move it closer to home.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fieldofdreams. Show fieldofdreams's posts

Westwood v. Wellesley game moved because both schools wanted it moved to a closer location.

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sudco. Show sudco's posts

Congrats to Tewksbury/Methuen in beating Gardner/St. Bernard's to reach the division II semifinals.  Pretty amazing for a first year program to get that far. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

In response to sudco's comment:

Congrats to Tewksbury/Methuen in beating Gardner/St. Bernard's to reach the division II semifinals.  Pretty amazing for a first year program to get that far. 

sudco, no disrespect, but there's nothing amazing about it at all; it's girls hockey and all you need is one player and a half way decent goalie to be successful and go a long way; especially in D2 tourney.  I think Tewksbury/Methuen was smart in scheduling a good amount of D1 non-league games to prep for tourney; kudos to the coach.  although, what's going to hurt them is if they lose a girl who scores 51 of the teams 78 goals (to prep school?); this same girl has only 10 assists which tells me that their game plan is: upon touching the puck look up/around, find AC and immediately pass it to her or in her general direction. how does this type of game plan develop the other players on the team?  w/b smart for next opposing team to throw a good skating shadow or few bodies on AC, bump her around a bit and see how she does.  congrats to them so far, I sincerely hope they win it all!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scooter8. Show Scooter8's posts

In response to Go Beez's comment:

sudco, no disrespect, but there's nothing amazing about it at all; it's girls hockey and all you need is one player and a half way decent goalie to be successful and go a long way; especially in D2 tourney.  I think Tewksbury/Methuen was smart in scheduling a good amount of D1 non-league games to prep for tourney; kudos to the coach.  although, what's going to hurt them is if they lose a girl who scores 51 of the teams 78 goals (to prep school?); this same girl has only 10 assists which tells me that their game plan is: upon touching the puck look up/around, find AC and immediately pass it to her or in her general direction. how does this type of game plan develop the other players on the team?  w/b smart for next opposing team to throw a good skating shadow or few bodies on AC, bump her around a bit and see how she does.  congrats to them so far, I sincerely hope they win it all!

There you go again Beez.  What do you mean by "all you need is one player and a half way decent goalie to be successful and go a long way; especially in D2 tourney"?  Does not the same hold true for D1 tourney?  Or is the talent just so superb and widespread in D1?  Again:  The top 5 teams in D2 girls will/would smoke the top 5 in D1.  No contest.  Especially this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sudco. Show sudco's posts

Yeah, I guess "awesome" is a better choice of words than "amazing."

Interestingly, AC has gotten almost all of her assists in the last month.  The game plan used to be give it her and watch her go, but as the team has played together more, and the other girls have become stronger hockey players, they have gotten better at spreading the offense around.  The win over Gardner was an illustration of that.

Where they will struggle is against teams with three good lines.  The goalie and top 2 defensemen are all very good, and can contain two lines.  But dealing with solid top to bottom teams has been a challenge.

Good call on playing against the D1 teams.  Competing against the A-B's and Westfords really served them well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Go Beez. Show Go Beez's posts

In response to Scooter8's comment:

In response to Go Beez's comment:

There you go again Beez.  What do you mean by "all you need is one player and a half way decent goalie to be successful and go a long way; especially in D2 tourney"?  Does not the same hold true for D1 tourney?  Or is the talent just so superb and widespread in D1?  Again:  The top 5 teams in D2 girls will/would smoke the top 5 in D1.  No contest.  Especially this year.

Sorry if I offended you scooter; to be fair, in tourney play, D1 teams with sparse talent fair just as well as D2 teams with sparse talent.  Duxbury is the only D2 team that I have seen play that is deep in talent; I've seen Falmouth and I'm not impressed outside of their goalie(yeah, I know, Falmouth beat Duxbury but it won't happen again).  It is my opinion that there is a big difference in the level of competition b/w D1 and D2; with that said Duxbury does not belong in D2.  Go Tewksbury/Methuen!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

a

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

In response to Hockeychix's comment:

SM ......NICE SHUT OUT   SM 3, AP 0

:)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Well the expected semifinal matchup has arrived on one side of the D1 bracket and we have to see who makes it out of the other side, althougth I would bet on the experience of AC and AB to get them there, which would make for a pretty much expected final four in D1.

In D2, we have a 22 and an 11 seed in the semifinals with the expected Duxbury and Falmouth teams.  While I really don't expect any upsets, that would be kinda of neat to have a Tewksbury vs Westwood D2 final in the Garden.  I have to beleive that NO one could have predicted that combo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

In response to PetefromNorthofBoston's comment:

Well the expected semifinal matchup has arrived on one side of the D1 bracket and we have to see who makes it out of the other side, althougth I would bet on the experience of AC and AB to get them there, which would make for a pretty much expected final four in D1.

In D2, we have a 22 and an 11 seed in the semifinals with the expected Duxbury and Falmouth teams.  While I really don't expect any upsets, that would be kinda of neat to have a Tewksbury vs Westwood D2 final in the Garden.  I have to beleive that NO one could have predicted that combo.

Agreed, i think danvers will fall to AC, prediction AC 4 ...bev danvers 1, they are not used to playing top teams, good luck to them though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mm3766. Show mm3766's posts

Duxbury should roll but I wouldn't count Westwood out vs Falmouth

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

Just some details on the Woburn win.  The 3-2 score is pretty deceptive of how the game played out.  Woburn outshot Billerica 34-10.  Billerica got a "fluke" goal early in the game with a kickout bounce of the puck from behind the net that they were able to knock in when the puck looked to be sliding along the boards heading to the far corner.  Woburn scored the next 3 and was leading 3-1 and gave up a shorthanded goal with a handful of seconds left in the game to let Billerica pull within a goal for the final score. 

It should be a great semi final this weekend between SM and Woburn, almost too bad they ended up on the same side of the draw.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

Just some details on the Woburn win.  The 3-2 score is pretty deceptive of how the game played out.  Woburn outshot Billerica 34-10.  Billerica got a "fluke" goal early in the game with a kickout bounce of the puck from behind the net that they were able to knock in when the puck looked to be sliding along the boards heading to the far corner.  Woburn scored the next 3 and was leading 3-1 and gave up a shorthanded goal with a handful of seconds left in the game to let Billerica pull within a goal for the final score. 

It should be a great semi final this weekend between SM and Woburn, almost too bad they ended up on the same side of the draw.

I agree Pete, I think a Woburn & SM matchup in the Garden would be nice but that's not going to happen this year!   I think Woburn and St. Mary's are the two best coached girls teams in Massachusetts!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeychix. Show Hockeychix's posts

In response to Hockeychix's comment:

Agreed, i think danvers will fall to AC, prediction AC 4 ...bev danvers 1, they are not used to playing top teams, good luck to them though.

Final, AC 4 bev danvers 0