EMASS Girls H.S. Hockey 2013-2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

EMASS Girls H.S. Hockey 2013-2014

Yes, boys and girls, it's that time of year again! Tryouts are wrapping up this week, jamborees and scrimmages starting this weekend. 

New coaching staff for the Flyers this year. Don't think the talent is there on the roster to make any noise in the standings, but think the girls will at least have a good, solid bonding/building year with a completely new staff that knows what the girls were dealing with previously and is looking forward to changing things around. 

Good luck to everyone! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsoxbs. Show patsoxbs's posts

Re: EMASS Girls H.S. Hockey 2013-2014

I wonder if there will be any surprise teams contending for Garden bids this year?  Probably the usual suspects, but if anyone believes some new names have a great chance to make it this year, let's hear about them!

Hockeymomsrule, who are you picking in BSC Carey & Herget this year?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Hergert - Wellesley gets my vote. They had a relatively young roster last year and although Connolly has graduated they are still deep and have some good goaltending. They're young, and deep in players and goalies. They'll be at the top of Hergert for a few years yet I think. 

Carey - Flip a coin. I think just about all of them graduated their top scorers. All of them were on down years last year as it was (at least in comparison to the previous 3).

Unfortunately don't see us being in contention, we just don't have the depth.  But the outlook of the players seems good with the new coaching staff, so who knows what some new attitudes, philosophies and methods may bring for them. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

In response to patsoxbs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if there will be any surprise teams contending for Garden bids this year?  Probably the usual suspects, but if anyone believes some new names have a great chance to make it this year, let's hear about them!

Hockeymomsrule, who are you picking in BSC Carey & Herget this year?

[/QUOTE]

Agree with HMR for BSC Herget, Wellesley the team this year.  Norwood will put up a lot of goals but goaltending will be their weak spot.  Walpole lost their two top players and of incoming frosh 2 went prep and 1 opted not to play for HS.

Falmouth will be VERY strong this year even with loss of 1 top player to prep. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilledhockeydad. Show Chilledhockeydad's posts

Anyone have insights into the Middlesex League this year? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sudco. Show sudco's posts

I heard a rumor that Duxbury moved to division 1 this season.  Any truth to that?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Don't know how often MIAA updates their member school information, but as of right now they are still listed as Division 2 (State), Patriot Division. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsoxbs. Show patsoxbs's posts

In response to sudco's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard a rumor that Duxbury moved to division 1 this season.  Any truth to that?

[/QUOTE]

That's what Bruce Lerch is reporting and he confirmed it with the DUX coach.  I suppose that makes Falmouth the prohibitive D2 favorite, although Westwood's 5-1 opening win over Fontbonne is quite a statement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

I heard a rumor that after committing to BC in field hockey, BM wasn't going to be playing hockey for Walpole this year.  Is this true?

NN lost two good defense to graduation, picked up a couple of good freshmen, lost a forward to Prep, has one on the sidelines with a soccer injury, and has one on the sidelines for at least another couple of weeks with a lingering field hockey injury, hard to say how they'll do.  They've also picked up a couple of tough out of conference games, Lexington, St. Mary's, and Ursline.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

In response to NNDad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I heard a rumor that after committing to BC in field hockey, BM wasn't going to be playing hockey for Walpole this year.  Is this true?

NN lost two good defense to graduation, picked up a couple of good freshmen, lost a forward to Prep, has one on the sidelines with a soccer injury, and has one on the sidelines for at least another couple of weeks with a lingering field hockey injury, hard to say how they'll do.  They've also picked up a couple of tough out of conference games, Lexington, St. Mary's, and Ursline.

[/QUOTE]

NN Dad this is true - BM and her freshman sister not playing for Walpole and their top center, an underrated player transferred to prep school.  Looks like NN had their number tonight!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

@ POE - Actually it was a pretty evenly matched game with NN having the goaltending advantantage.  I'm encouraged by how NN looked.  They got some solid contributions on offense and defense from this freshman class which bodes well for the future.  Walpole had some good opportunaties they didn't cash in on and hit some posts, otherwise it could have been a different game.  Without BM, Walpole has dropped a notch.

Except possibly for Welllesley (who I think could actually be a better "team" without MC) I don't think the baystate is going to have a dominant team.  Braintree has gained one Forward returning from prep school, and possibly has a good new freshman, but I think, with the loss of last years great goalie, they will also be a notch down from last year.

Anyone know anything about Milton?  It looks like they played Braintree close.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

[QUOTE]

@ POE - Actually it was a pretty evenly matched game with NN having the goaltending advantantage.  I'm encouraged by how NN looked.  They got some solid contributions on offense and defense from this freshman class which bodes well for the future.  Walpole had some good opportunaties they didn't cash in on and hit some posts, otherwise it could have been a different game.  Without BM, Walpole has dropped a notch.

Except possibly for Welllesley (who I think could actually be a better "team" without MC) I don't think the baystate is going to have a dominant team.  Braintree has gained one Forward returning from prep school, and possibly has a good new freshman, but I think, with the loss of last years great goalie, they will also be a notch down from last year.

Anyone know anything about Milton?  It looks like they played Braintree close.

[/QUOTE]

NNDad, totally agree with you about Wellesley being a better "team".  Both Norwood and Dedham have girls who can put the puck in the net.  Goaltending will be their issue.  Thanks for the update from game last night,was not there but followed the NN twitter.  Good luck to all the girls.  Look out for Westwood - very strong senior class!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PetefromNorthofBoston. Show PetefromNorthofBoston's posts

In response to Chilledhockeydad's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone have insights into the Middlesex League this year? 

[/QUOTE]

Only what I read in the local papers, but based on the first set of games in the books, I would say that the top is still Woburn and then Reading girls.  Both won in dominant fashion in their openers.  (Woburn as a visitor.)   Burlington, Arlington, Winchester and Lexington fill the middle.  Woburn lost a lot of scoring to graduation but still has Davis between the pipes, which means they can win consistently.  In their first game, 6 different girls scored, so that is promising.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

In response to peaceonearth's comment:

[QUOTE]

NN Dad this is true - BM and her freshman sister not playing for Walpole and their top center, an underrated player transferred to prep school.  Looks like NN had their number tonight!

[/QUOTE]

walpole coach driving away players left and right apparently. i heard the senior defensman would have played had the coach not driven her away. but that is 2nd hand information fwiw. they will be lucky to win 5 games without her, their top center who transferred and the three freshmen not playing.  should be an ugly season down at iorio.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

i like dedham this year to give our wellesley girls a run.  they have a great senior/junior tandem in cd and sg.  sg is very, very good.  will they get consistent goaltending and will any freshmen step it up?  unfortunately my knowledge of dedham is only the sophomores and older.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from peaceonearth. Show peaceonearth's posts

In response to hockeychrishna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

walpole coach driving away players left and right apparently. i heard the senior defensman would have played had the coach not driven her away. but that is 2nd hand information fwiw. they will be lucky to win 5 games without her, their top center who transferred and the three freshmen not playing.  should be an ugly season down at iorio.

[/QUOTE]

HC, not wanting to delve too deeply into the Walp coaching situation, IMHO the coach is the lynchpin of the trouble. As far as the top D being "driven away" there are two sides to every coin.  Talent allowed to "run free" by coaching staff never turns out well.  That started her freshman year and became divisive issue with team.  Again, just my opinion and agree they will be lucky to win 5 games.  The "team" issue also applies to Dedham's SG and CD.  Thats why I think Wellesley will rule this year. Don't have a horse in this race anymore so just watching from sidelines!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Anyone know how St. Mary's is looking this year?  I think they lost 2/3 on last year's first line, but their goalie is returning, and the generally have good skaters throughout their short roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

SG is the one that really stands out for Dedham. CD can be stopped easily enough by just putting 2 on her, she can't get through the traffic of more than 1 player consistently, always has the same move, never alters it. Granted if she gets past the traffic she is likely to put it in the net.  SG on the other hand can make just about anyone look silly with her skill and hockey IQ. You could put 3 on  her and she'd still more often than not come out of it with the puck. She is going to be they key to Dedham's success this year, more so than CD, in my opinion of course. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

In response to hockeychrishna's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HC, not wanting to delve too deeply into the Walp coaching situation, IMHO the coach is the lynchpin of the trouble. As far as the top D being "driven away" there are two sides to every coin.  Talent allowed to "run free" by coaching staff never turns out well.  That started her freshman year and became divisive issue with team.  Again, just my opinion and agree they will be lucky to win 5 games.  The "team" issue also applies to Dedham's SG and CD.  Thats why I think Wellesley will rule this year. Don't have a horse in this race anymore so just watching from sidelines!

[/QUOTE]

It's going to be a smackdown on January 8th at Iorio.  8-1 Wellesley.  That  Walpole team has nothing left with the two seniors who left.  And we are loaded.

Walpole Coach made a big mistake not finding a way to make it work.  Now D who should occasionally see the ice in a varsity game are going to play 1/2 the game.  Unless they found a good Freshman D or someone new moved into town.  Recipe for disaster if you ask me.  BSC opponents are going to enjoy pushing around the once proud Rebels.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

In response to Hockeymomsrule's comment:
    [QUOTE]

SG is the one that really stands out for Dedham. CD can be stopped easily enough by just putting 2 on her, she can't get through the traffic of more than 1 player consistently, always has the same move, never alters it. Granted if she gets past the traffic she is likely to put it in the net.  SG on the other hand can make just about anyone look silly with her skill and hockey IQ. You could put 3 on  her and she'd still more often than not come out of it with the puck. She is going to be they key to Dedham's success this year, more so than CD, in my opinion of course. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% CD is a talented player, but SG is a top tier player.  Not sure of her thoughts for the future or her parents financial position, but I would be looking to move her to a Prep school next year and repeat Junior Season if possible.  I think she has a shot at D1 if she gets herself in the right place.  Playing for Dedham won't get her there.  Prep might.  Plus I would love to see her out of the BSC!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Any thoughts on the recent games?  I was surprised to see Braintree beaten 5-1 by Norwood, who scored 3 goals in 46 seconds (with 30 seconds left in NNs Braintree game last year they gave up 2 goals to lose by 1 - very painful).  And, it looks like SG had a good game against Framingham.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

First two goals were a joke and the girls just couldn't recover on the mental side of it. First one hit the cross bar and went straight down, landed on the line, never crossed, called a goal. 2nd one didnt go in the net until a full second after the clock hit zero, called a goal. Both on video tape and clearly visible situations.  CD was literally putting girls in headlocks preventing them from being able to get around her with the puck, wasn't called once for it. But yet SG literally caught her toe in center ice without a Flyer within 5 feet of her and we were put in the box for tripping. Huh? Pretty much set the tone mentally and with a young squad those are going to be tough odds to come back against. SG had 2 legit goals, the 3rd legit goal was scored by their other linemate. CD's was the one that went in after the clock hit zero. Just a bummer to start the season off with the same horrific officiating we've seen for the past number of years.  Was one of those games where the score really wasn't indicitive of the play, which was surprisingly back and forth for the majority until the girls just gave in to the ref's.  Our biggest hurdle this year is going to be who's going to step up and start putting the puck in the net consistently. Our top two lines can pretty much skate with anyone, there's just not a lot of physical strength and no snipers.  A lot that like to shoot right at the goalie and that is not going to produce goals no matter how many times you try to put it through her LOL Also - not sure who said earlier they would have issues in net, but either Dedham has had a change in their goalie situation or she has done a lot of training and skating work in the off season. Whoever they had in net yesterday was pretty solid. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

[QUOTE]

First two goals were a joke and the girls just couldn't recover on the mental side of it. First one hit the cross bar and went straight down, landed on the line, never crossed, called a goal. 2nd one didnt go in the net until a full second after the clock hit zero, called a goal. Both on video tape and clearly visible situations.  CD was literally putting girls in headlocks preventing them from being able to get around her with the puck, wasn't called once for it. But yet SG literally caught her toe in center ice without a Flyer within 5 feet of her and we were put in the box for tripping. Huh? Pretty much set the tone mentally and with a young squad those are going to be tough odds to come back against. SG had 2 legit goals, the 3rd legit goal was scored by their other linemate. CD's was the one that went in after the clock hit zero. Just a bummer to start the season off with the same horrific officiating we've seen for the past number of years.  Was one of those games where the score really wasn't indicitive of the play, which was surprisingly back and forth for the majority until the girls just gave in to the ref's.  Our biggest hurdle this year is going to be who's going to step up and start putting the puck in the net consistently. Our top two lines can pretty much skate with anyone, there's just not a lot of physical strength and no snipers.  A lot that like to shoot right at the goalie and that is not going to produce goals no matter how many times you try to put it through her LOL Also - not sure who said earlier they would have issues in net, but either Dedham has had a change in their goalie situation or she has done a lot of training and skating work in the off season. Whoever they had in net yesterday was pretty solid. 

[/QUOTE]

I think Dedham goalie last year was a senior and this year goalie is an unknown.

SG is a woman among girls.  Glad she isn't getting penalties just because she is stronger than opponents, no offense intended.

Refs always are terrible for girls' public.  We get the remaining refs after the good ones are sent to Prep and boys games.  It's a shame.  We usually get a few who can barely skate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

None taken, have always thought the only thing that's going to hold SG back from reaching whatever level she wants to is her attitude when things go wrong. She frustrates easily and then tends to take stupid penalties. If she can learn how to chanel that frustration and turn it into positive determintation to push herself harder there will be no end to where she can go. 

We had a ref last year that was such a bad skater the goalies had to get the pucks on icings and send them back down to him. That was nothing short of insulting. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeychrishna. Show hockeychrishna's posts

[QUOTE]

None taken, have always thought the only thing that's going to hold SG back from reaching whatever level she wants to is her attitude when things go wrong. She frustrates easily and then tends to take stupid penalties. If she can learn how to chanel that frustration and turn it into positive determintation to push herself harder there will be no end to where she can go. 

We had a ref last year that was such a bad skater the goalies had to get the pucks on icings and send them back down to him. That was nothing short of insulting. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree with your assessment on SG.  She does have some frustration/control issues.  But then again she is what, 16?  Maybe another year of maturity from a personal standpoint with raise the level of her game.