EMASS H.S. Softball 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alicat4. Show Alicat4's posts

Re: EMASS H.S. Softball 2013

In response to Hockeymomsrule's comment:

In response to Alicat4's comment:

Just for clarification purposes for those who don't know the landscape in the Class A/Gold world of softball, it's the RI Thunder Gold team, the others not so much. Central Mass Thunder isn't far behind in their production of DI and DII players. I think both organizations are going into this tournament season with 6+ Senior players committed to DI or DII colleges for the fall and a couple of Jr.'s verbally committed. Games between the two organizations are typically really fun to watch. For the North Shore/Southern NH area the Diamond Gems are the top producer of college level talent. It's nice to see the New England area finally producing consistent talent that is being taken seriously by DI and DII schools throughout the country. It's been a long time coming and our girls are finally catching up. Tournament/year round ball has truly made the difference for them. 

Hockeymom, I know that there are some very good travel teams and they get quite a few into D1s, but dont get caught up in it. If you follow these girls in college, the success rate is very low. Most of them struggle or hardly play, but their parents are proud they are in a D1 school. New England girls for the most part are still behind the eight ball.

Alicat - Totally agree. My own wouldn't have a prayer at getting recruited to my own alma matter but she did land herself at a solid NE school in a decent conference. Having grown up out on the left coast and played my college ball at Pac-10 school, I know very well the disparity between our New England girls and the Southeast/West and West Coast players. However, with that said, the New England area has at least in recent years finally started to figure out what they need to do to develop their players and are heading in the right direction. Baby steps. Step one is getting these girls noticed and them getting recruited to these schools. That is starting to happen on a yearly basis. Each graduating class has a handful of players moving on to DI or DII ball. Those parents should be proud of their daughters. Those girls are some of the first from this area to even get that far. Step two is getting them developed to where they are going into these schools as freshman ready to make the step into college ball and taking on playing time. The level of ball in this area today as compared to where it was when I first moved out here in the middle of high school (that was brutal!) is night and day. For me, high school ball was equivalent to what I was playing at 12U out west and there was little to no tournament ball to speak of. We were that far behind then. While high school ball is still too inconsistent to be anything to speak of, our 18U Gold and Class A teams are closer to 16U from the more known areas of the country that produce softball players. Our teams still have a tough time at national tournaments when they have to face the west coast/southwest/east teams, but they are at least now having competitive games against them for the most part. Then again, our girl hockey players pretty much walk all over girl hockey players from other parts of the country. So much of it is the region they are and the sport that their climate is the most friendly to. <said as I look out my office window at the pile of snow in the parking lot at the end of March - season is 6 weeks old out on the west coast as of this week. Our girls have barely started>

What school is your daughter going to or can you tell me the conference??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

She declined University of Hartford and committed to Franklin Pierce, Northeast 10 Conference,  a couple weeks ago. Academically it was her 1st choice.  She got into both on early admission.  She liked the school better and has a solid enough head on her shoulders to know that while yes she has a really good bat - she is not Crystal Bustous and she is NOT going to make her living on marketing deals on bats when she gets out of college. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things whether she plays DI or DII. She also didn't feel like she would end up finishing all 4 years at UHart (plus not for nothing but it's not in a great area and I did not have a warm fuzzy feeling about leaving her there LOL) but could easily see herself staying all 4 years at FPU. On the plus side, with the way the two schools do their money, it all worked out in the end as UHart deducts a percentage off their academic money if you get athetlic money and FPU combines them both. Also helped that the FPU coach is almost identical in coaching personality to her tournament team coach, whom she absolutely loves. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alicat4. Show Alicat4's posts

She declined University of Hartford and committed to Franklin Pierce, Northeast 10 Conference,  a couple weeks ago. Academically it was her 1st choice.  She got into both on early admission.  She liked the school better and has a solid enough head on her shoulders to know that while yes she has a really good bat - she is not Crystal Bustous and she is NOT going to make her living on marketing deals on bats when she gets out of college. It doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things whether she plays DI or DII. She also didn't feel like she would end up finishing all 4 years at UHart (plus not for nothing but it's not in a great area and I did not have a warm fuzzy feeling about leaving her there LOL) but could easily see herself staying all 4 years at FPU. On the plus side, with the way the two schools do their money, it all worked out in the end as UHart deducts a percentage off their academic money if you get athetlic money and FPU combines them both. Also helped that the FPU coach is almost identical in coaching personality to her tournament team coach, whom she absolutely loves. 

Cool!  I'll bet you a coffee. If my daughter stikes out your daughter next year or if your daughter gets a hit of her. LOL. Is that against NCAA rules??

Kidding aside. FPU will be a team on the rise . Many young players. See you next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Where are they playing this year? No longer at the field behind the school on the other side of Fessy?

They built new fields where the old highschool was.  It's the soccer field during the fall and the baseball field at one end and the softball field at the other during spring.  They are suppose to put in temporary home run fences during softball season, but I haven't seen them yet.  If they don't clean up the goose droppings, they may play some of there games at the middle school field behind Fessy.  Also, there are some drainage problems in left field at the new field.  The middle school field is a tough field to hit one over the fence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In response to Alicat4's comment:

Cool!  I'll bet you a coffee. If my daughter stikes out your daughter next year or if your daughter gets a hit of her. LOL. Is that against NCAA rules??

Kidding aside. FPU will be a team on the rise . Many young players. See you next year.

Is your daughter AM????? Mine realized the other day that she is up there and was syked she gets to get to go against her again. She loved the battles they had when AM was still in h.s. There aren't many pitchers in our league that can hit their spots the way your daughter can.  She misses the challenge of it. To this day she says your daughter's rise ball is the bane of her existance. To quote her, "it should be illegal it's so unfair how well she throws it". I don't think we can get in trouble for betting a coffee. LOL 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Forgot the other part of your post - yes FPU is on the rise. The coach they brought in is on a mission to bring them up to the top and is recruiting hard. She has the Athletic Dept. on her side and they are starting to put some money into the program. Daughter is excited to be part of building the program. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In response to NNDad's comment:

Where are they playing this year? No longer at the field behind the school on the other side of Fessy?

They built new fields where the old highschool was.  It's the soccer field during the fall and the baseball field at one end and the softball field at the other during spring.  They are suppose to put in temporary home run fences during softball season, but I haven't seen them yet.  If they don't clean up the goose droppings, they may play some of there games at the middle school field behind Fessy.  Also, there are some drainage problems in left field at the new field.  The middle school field is a tough field to hit one over the fence.

Yes, that fence takes a wicked rope, we have a couple that have hit it, but haven't sent one over it. Am hoping they have to play at the middle school for whatever reason, I can get there easily from my office. Not so sure where the old high school is. LOL Oh well, I'll figure it out. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Has anybody played a real game yet? Our 1st was post-poned, not playing until Thursday now. Urgh. I wanna watch some ball! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Has anybody played a real game yet? Our 1st was post-poned, not playing until Thursday now. Urgh. I wanna watch some ball! 

NN is playing Braintree on the new field today.  I'm going to dress like I would to watch a hockey game in a heaterless rink.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmazedCitizen. Show AmazedCitizen's posts

St Mary's plays D1 hockey, but drops to D3 softball.  They didn't even win D3 North softball last year, beaten by another Catholic Conference team Matignon. 

The entire Catholic Conference is stepping up against the public schools thanks to some nice recruiting. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In response to AmazedCitizen's comment:

St Mary's plays D1 hockey, but drops to D3 softball.  They didn't even win D3 North softball last year, beaten by another Catholic Conference team Matignon. 

The entire Catholic Conference is stepping up against the public schools thanks to some nice recruiting. 

I don't get how they're allowed to change divisions sport by sport.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Braintree didn't look too good yesterday.  Their senior pitcher wasn't pitching, NN hit their pitcher pretty hard, and they didn't look too sharp in the field.  I am not educated enough to say whether our pitching was that good, or Braintree's just wasn't hitting.  Probably a combination.  Braintree only managed one hit, a low shot to deep right center (daughter thinks it might have been their goalie), and I think the only other solid contact was a pop up to shallow left.  It's hard to see Braintree as a contender for the division this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Between last year and the year before, they pretty much graduated most of their dominating players. They are definately heading into a rebuilding phase. A lot of girls down that way play touranment ball though so I don't think it will take them long to get back to the top. We have about 2 years before we are back in that same boat ourselves. The window on our side is very small. They do have the safety of having a very strong frosh pitcher to take over when the Jr pitcher graduates but she won't have the depth in the field or the batting order to go with her like the current pitcher has behind her. It's basically now or never for these girls. We'll see if they have the mental toughness to pull it out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

As far as the new field goes, they never cleaned up the goose droppings, the home run fence is still on order, the infield surface is still very slow, the afternoon sun is in the left fielders eyes, and if you come to see a game at NN, be careful where you park.   Much of the nearby parking is in foul ball territory for either the softball or the baseball field.  We're going to dent some cars this season, and possibly hit some moving cars on the street that runs parallel to the first base line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

As far as the new field goes, they never cleaned up the goose droppings, the home run fence is still on order, the infield surface is still very slow, the afternoon sun is in the left fielders eyes, and if you come to see a game at NN, be careful where you park.   Much of the nearby parking is in foul ball territory for either the softball or the baseball field.  We're going to dent some cars this season, and possibly hit some moving cars on the street that runs parallel to the first base line.

Ugh. Sounds like they would have been better off at the old field! Moving cars are always an entertainment factor for me, and as for parked cars, well mine seems to have a magnet of some kind for those as she has smashed more than a dozen windshields over the years.  At least she's been smart enough to NOT hit her mothers! LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Well I didn't think there was a way they could find to put the girls in a situation that is highly likely to cause them to fail, but I was wrong. We only have 2 Class A level 2nd basemen on the team. But hey let's put them both in the outfield where they have no clue what they're doing and put some poor girl who has only ever played a couple of innings at 2nd at the JV level at 2nd base instead.  Then, let's watch her make 4 errors that cause 3 unearned runs to be scored and leave her in there, and then when the 1st basemen makes one mistake, that doesn't cause a run to be scored, because she's no longer sure if the 2nd basemen is going to be able to handle the play let's bench her for the rest of the game.  Huh? So confused....although at this point I really shouldn't be and should have expected nothing less than the debacle of attempted coaching that was witnessed yesterday. OK vent over. Someday our AD will change and we'll get one in there that has his teams and student athletes interests as his priority instead of ensuring he can line his teachers pockets with extra cash and will get them the coaching they all deserve. Until then, we get whatever teacher at the school that may or may not know what they are doing. Ok, vent really over now.  (ok really, $chmuck is a banned word??)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

Sorry to here that after your first game it's already looking like it's going to be a long season.

I only have 2nd hand information on the NN/Walpole game, but even at 11-5 the score makes it look closer than it was.   It was 11-2 going into the last inning and in at least two innings NN left the bases loaded.  NN used their freshman pitcher, and she was solid. My daughter was happy to get some revenge after field hockey and hockey.

Also, I see that Shannon Smith no-hit King Philip.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Shannon Smith pitching at the high school level is a joke. I mean that in a complimentary way towards her. She is above and beyond high school level ball in this area. Milford is going to miss her when she moves on to Kentucky.

On our side, it seems instead of our coaching staff being thrilled with the level of talent and commitment that their players have to this game they are trying everything they can to push them into negativity. I just don't get it. It is what it is though and at least for most of them the light is at the end of tunnel as they know they will not only be playing better quality ball soon but will have a coaching staff behind them on their respective teams that respects them and actually enjoys finding ways to bring out the best in each of them instead of looking for their worst and then punishing them when they get it. If this team manages to repeat a post-season this year it will be inspite of the coaching staff, not because of it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Looking like it's going to come down to NN and Framingham for the Baystate this year. Going to be a couple of great games between these two I think.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawksoftballdad. Show hawksoftballdad's posts

I saw a few games so far and I don't see anyone beating Milford. Could come down to Bridgewater-Raynham and Milford in the South District as I believe BR has a slight edge over KP.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

In response to hawksoftballdad's comment:

I saw a few games so far and I don't see anyone beating Milford. Could come down to Bridgewater-Raynham and Milford in the South District as I believe BR has a slight edge over KP.

I suspect you're right.  It would be nice to have a chance to see NN play some of those teams.

@HMR It will probably come down to NN and Framingham in the Baystate, but they've both shown that they can be tripped up by weaker teams.

NN had a good comeback win off of Acton Boxbourough.  They were down 4-1 going into the bottom of the 7th with the top of the order coming up.  They got a little help when the lead off runner reached on an error.  Two solid singles, two outs, and a triple (might have been a double if the fence were up yet) later it was tied, and they won the game on a passed ball.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

There isn't going to be anyone able to knock off Milford until SS graduates. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

I suspect you're right.  It would be nice to have a chance to see NN play some of those teams.

@HMR It will probably come down to NN and Framingham in the Baystate, but they've both shown that they can be tripped up by weaker teams.

NN had a good comeback win off of Acton Boxbourough.  They were down 4-1 going into the bottom of the 7th with the top of the order coming up.  They got a little help when the lead off runner reached on an error.  Two solid singles, two outs, and a triple (might have been a double if the fence were up yet) later it was tied, and they won the game on a passed ball.

Ugh, awful way to win a game (says the former catcher who can't help but feel for the catchers behind the plate when that happens).  I don't know if it can be said that they were  necessarily tripped up by Natick, more like someone not ready to be in a position that was put there anyways. 4 errors by the same player that in turn created 3 unearned runs was a game changer. It's a 4-3 win for us instead of a 6-4 loss if that player wasn't put in a situation by the coaches she wasn't ready for. To the coaches credit, they did at least see the error in their thinking and have changed things up at that position and it's been a lot more consistent since.  Still frustrating that we don't have either of our experienced 2nd basemen there, but it's an improvement nonetheless. 

Mendon gave Milford a good run for their money in the final last year, they figured out small ball was the way to go against that team and lost a tough  2-1 game. One of the negatives of having a pitcher as strong as SS is having fielders who aren't used to having to field the ball regularly. A smart coach will take advantage of that and small ball them all day long and just keep creating havoc on the bases. This game is so fast at the higher levels that nothing but repetition can prepare your team better. An entire team that has the 'don't think, just do' ability is what it's going to take to beat them. The question at this point is going to be who is going to be able to prepare their own girls for a mostly small ball game and have every single batter in their order able to lay down bunts properly for when the time comes. I could be wrong, but I'm certain that's what it's going to take. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawksoftballdad. Show hawksoftballdad's posts

Ugh, awful way to win a game (says the former catcher who can't help but feel for the catchers behind the plate when that happens).  I don't know if it can be said that they were  necessarily tripped up by Natick, more like someone not ready to be in a position that was put there anyways. 4 errors by the same player that in turn created 3 unearned runs was a game changer. It's a 4-3 win for us instead of a 6-4 loss if that player wasn't put in a situation by the coaches she wasn't ready for. To the coaches credit, they did at least see the error in their thinking and have changed things up at that position and it's been a lot more consistent since.  Still frustrating that we don't have either of our experienced 2nd basemen there, but it's an improvement nonetheless. 

Mendon gave Milford a good run for their money in the final last year, they figured out small ball was the way to go against that team and lost a tough  2-1 game. One of the negatives of having a pitcher as strong as SS is having fielders who aren't used to having to field the ball regularly. A smart coach will take advantage of that and small ball them all day long and just keep creating havoc on the bases. This game is so fast at the higher levels that nothing but repetition can prepare your team better. An entire team that has the 'don't think, just do' ability is what it's going to take to beat them. The question at this point is going to be who is going to be able to prepare their own girls for a mostly small ball game and have every single batter in their order able to lay down bunts properly for when the time comes. I could be wrong, but I'm certain that's what it's going to take. 

Mendon gave Milford a good run for their money in the final last year, they figured out small ball was the way to go against that team and lost a tough 2-1 game.

It was Malden and it was a 1-0 game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Mendon gave Milford a good run for their money in the final last year, they figured out small ball was the way to go against that team and lost a tough 2-1 game.

It was Malden and it was a 1-0 game.

I knew that, I always get those M towns mixed up. Even better showing for them than I was told. No idea where the person who told me the score got that one from. Oh well, doesn't matter. Malden is who knocked us out in 2nd round last year. Hopefully no repeat performance of that this year!