EMASS H.S. Softball 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmazedCitizen. Show AmazedCitizen's posts

Re: EMASS H.S. Softball 2013

Burlington 18  Central Catholic 7.   That's an upset for sure!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In response to AmazedCitizen's comment:

Burlington 18  Central Catholic 7.   That's an upset for sure!!

That's why they play the games, anything can happen.  Congrats to Burlington! 2 more wins for the Flyers today, 12-2 over Northbridge followed up with a 7-2 win over Auburn to win the Rocket Classic tournament.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

@HMR - Are you going to be at Wednesdays game?  If so I'll say hi.  I assume I can just ask for the cathchers mom.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Yes, I'll be there but I'm not the catchers Mom. I'll be easy to find though - I'll be the one the furthest away from everyone else. I need distance so my muttering can't be overheard. We're dealing with coaches who have literally made the girls run 1-2 miles after wins because they over heard a parent saying something during a game (no, it's never been because of me - I plan well LOL). When you guys are at our field, I'll be on your side by the tree closest to the far fence.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

In response to Hockeymomsrule's comment:

Yes, I'll be there but I'm not the catchers Mom. I'll be easy to find though - I'll be the one the furthest away from everyone else. I need distance so my muttering can't be overheard. We're dealing with coaches who have literally made the girls run 1-2 miles after wins because they over heard a parent saying something during a game (no, it's never been because of me - I plan well LOL). When you guys are at our field, I'll be on your side by the tree closest to the far fence.

I'll look for the loner, muttering, Framingham mom.Smile

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

There ya go! I just want to watch my kid and her friends play, mutter to myself when I feel the need and not have to deal with anyone else's muttering because then I just get more fired up and then I'm likely to not mutter so quietly. :-D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

Well NNDad as we figured at the start, it's going to come down to NN and Fram. for the Baystate. Fram over Braintree 3-1 today. We didn't get lucky like you guys and get their frosh pitcher, their Sr. pitchers inside curve was working really on this cold day. Finally got a few on base in the middle of the game and scratched enough runs to come out with the W. That Natick game kills me more and more as these girls keep doing what they do. They should be 8-0 right now, not 7-1. Oh well, it is what it is. Should be a good game on Wednesday!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TransitDependent. Show TransitDependent's posts

@HMR You have a funny recollection of the Natick game.  You have failed to mention in your several posts about the game how Natick's pitcher, completely unknown to anyone, thoroughly dominated Framingham.  With the exception of the catcher (2-3 with 3 rbi's), there was not even good bat on ball.  She had 9 k's and gave up only 3 hits.  You talk about all the Framingham errors, but fail to mention Natick's LH went 3-4 with a 2b, 3b, and HR with 4 RBI's. 

Come on, that game wasn't really even close, and it wasn't because of who was playing 2b.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmazedCitizen. Show AmazedCitizen's posts

Dracut looks to be the toughest team in the North!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TransitDependent. Show TransitDependent's posts

In response to AmazedCitizen's comment:

Dracut looks to be the toughest team in the North!

Dracut just lost 2 games in a row:

http://www.boston.com/partners/globesports/schools/201213/teams/70/4119.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

4 errors that created 3 unearned runs. Game was 6-4 Natick, without those errors, it's 4-3 Framingham in what was just as solid of a game pitching wise by our own. Not sure what you're in such a snit about.   It was for the most part a pretty decent game considering I know at least our girls hadn't been on a field yet and didn't get in any of their scrimmages. Assume Natick didn't get much field time in before then either. Doesnt matter anyways, they won't play each other again and that game is way past being discussed.  

RE: Dracut - looks like they'd had a pretty easy time of it until they hit Haverhill. Won a close one there. Hudson is usually pretty solid in D2 so I can see that one happening and also going the other way if they saw each other again. Don't know anything about Nashoba, but that looks like it was another good game. Love the 1, 2 run games so much more than the blowouts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

@TD - Welcome to the discussion.  I have the feeling that with a few exceptions (NN beat Brookline 13-0 yesterday with their #3 pitcher getting some innings) there is a large group of teams in the Baystate where, on any given day, any team can beat any other, but in the Carey division it is looking like NN and Framingham may be the teams to beat.

It looks like Natick is having a pretty good start.  What happened with Walpole?  I didn't see the NN game, but my daughter said that Walpole didn't look that good and the game wasn't even as close as the 11-5 score might indicate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TransitDependent. Show TransitDependent's posts

@HMR  Not in a snit, but after your 4th post about that game, I thought I would offer a different perspecitive.  I didn't have Natick with 3 unearned runs (only 2), and you didn't count Franingham's 1 unearned run.

@NN  Natick played poorly in their first game against Walpole.  It was in the high 30's and they just didn't respond well.  No excuses, they got beat by Walpole.  Have been playing much better lately.  Have to get through Norwood tomorrow, then should be interesting against NN on Monday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

If you'd had to deal with the years and years of watching your daughters team lose games beause of coaching decisions that never get corrected you'd be ranting too. At least your AD gives enough of a crap about your teams that he got rid of a similar bad coaching situation and quickly at that. Ours does not. I can only watch our girls get put into situations they shouldn't be in and broken down mentally for so long before the vent needs to come. Sometimes it takes more than 1 post to move on. I had long since moved on before you brought it back up. 

NNDad - nice to 'meet' you today and put a face to the name.  We certainly had a close one to watch. NN at the top of the Baystate with their 2-1 win today, my money is on the conference  coming down to their last game against each other. Not a fan of the IHBP at the end. She's not nearly as dangerous with that bat right now with her AC tear still being rehabbed. I don't think she's even hitting over .200. Hmph. LOL Anyways, see you next time at our house, should be another really close game. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

@HMR - good to meet you also.  Good pitching on both sides.  You guys only allowed 5 on base.  My daughter had the three bloop singles.  She also tells me that the IHBP was not I.  Given the lack of hitting against LS, I wonder if you think they should have sent the runner from third on the fly to left.  It was shallow and well fielded, but your runner seemed to have some speed and it would have forced NN to make the play.  One other question, if you have girl who can reliably bunt for singles, why not put her lower in the line up to get some speed on the bases?  Maybe I'm wrong, but she seemed to be hitting sixth or seventh.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

@TD -  I see that Natick pulled out a big 9th inning win over Norwood.  Care to give us the highlights?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In response to NNDad's comment:

@HMR - good to meet you also.  Good pitching on both sides.  You guys only allowed 5 on base.  My daughter had the three bloop singles.  She also tells me that the IHBP was not I.  Given the lack of hitting against LS, I wonder if you think they should have sent the runner from third on the fly to left.  It was shallow and well fielded, but your runner seemed to have some speed and it would have forced NN to make the play.  One other question, if you have girl who can reliably bunt for singles, why not put her lower in the line up to get some speed on the bases?  Maybe I'm wrong, but she seemed to be hitting sixth or seventh.

Ugh - first response disappeared. Short version: Welcome to our world and the questions we have been asking ourselves for years. Now maybe you understand the frustration with the situation a little better. :-) These girls have extra pressure on them knowing they have to all hit consistently in order to keep themselves out of 1 run games because they know their coaching staff is not going to be able to think strategically enough on the fly to allow them the opportunity to get it done. I watch these girls do things on the basepaths all summer long to force plays and force errors which lead to runs scored and advancing baserunners that these coaches have no clue, or maybe belief, that they can do. But they can do it, and they do it with confidence. They know they can do it so it frustrates them even more.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TransitDependent. Show TransitDependent's posts

@TD -  I see that Natick pulled out a big 9th inning win over Norwood.  Care to give us the highlights?

Good game.  Natick jumped on top early 5-0 after 2 innings, and Norwood chipped away throughout the game, getting the tieing run in the 7th on two controversial calls- first at 3b on a tag to the lead runner and next at homeplate on the tiring run.  Both plays close and both calls went Norwood's way.  Nothing happened in the 8th, both starting pitchers pitched the entire game, and both were pitching on fumes.  Finally in the 9th, Natick broke out with handful of key hits and were able to punch 4 runs across.  Kayla F for Natick came out and got the next 3 out of 4 batters to end the game.  Both teams had errors earlier on, but tightened up later.  Both pitchers absolutely pitched their butts off.  Very entertaining, if not long, game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeCage. Show MikeCage's posts

In response to BumpBailey's comment:

The 60 mph pitchers that I have seen throw: Shannon Smith, Milford,Sr., Courtney Erickson, BB&N, Jr., Kayla F---(cant spell it), Natick, Soph., Kayla Maloney, Phillips Andover, Sr.

Smith, Erickson and Maloney all play for the Rhode Island Thunder. The Thunder is the elite organization in New England.  They build D1 players. Kayla F. played for the Connecticut Charmers. I have seen these girls on radar at tournaments.  If you look at the HS pitchers who come near 200 strike outs per season you'll find the 60mph pitchers.  Kiara Amos, Malden and Meg Rico, KP were legit flame throwers who both went D1. 

For whatever reason Shannon Smiths totals aren't recorded, Courtney Ericksons only show ISL totals, not non league.  Phillips Andover, Kayla Maloney's aren't available.  However, I've seen these kids throw and they strike out 2 an inning or 12 a game on bad days. All of them have multiple pitches.

I've heard Antzack from Central Catholic, Soph throws hard and based on her numbers she's up there.

Smith and Maloney are most likely 1 and 2 in the state.  Aleixo in Taunton probably # 3

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawksoftballdad. Show hawksoftballdad's posts

In response to MikeCage's comment:

The 60 mph pitchers that I have seen throw: Shannon Smith, Milford,Sr., Courtney Erickson, BB&N, Jr., Kayla F---(cant spell it), Natick, Soph., Kayla Maloney, Phillips Andover, Sr.

Smith, Erickson and Maloney all play for the Rhode Island Thunder. The Thunder is the elite organization in New England.  They build D1 players. Kayla F. played for the Connecticut Charmers. I have seen these girls on radar at tournaments.  If you look at the HS pitchers who come near 200 strike outs per season you'll find the 60mph pitchers.  Kiara Amos, Malden and Meg Rico, KP were legit flame throwers who both went D1. 

For whatever reason Shannon Smiths totals aren't recorded, Courtney Ericksons only show ISL totals, not non league.  Phillips Andover, Kayla Maloney's aren't available.  However, I've seen these kids throw and they strike out 2 an inning or 12 a game on bad days. All of them have multiple pitches.

I've heard Antzack from Central Catholic, Soph throws hard and based on her numbers she's up there.

Smith and Maloney are most likely 1 and 2 in the state.  Aleixo in Taunton probably # 3

You can get Shannon's #'s on the Milford Highschool  Athletics web site or just ask her dad he has them at his finger tips.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

@hawksoftballdad - The globe blog says SS has allowed 1 earned run, but they don't show any in the scores for Milford.  Has she allowed any runs?  And, do you have a backup pitcher?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawksoftballdad. Show hawksoftballdad's posts

@hawksoftballdad - The globe blog says SS has allowed 1 earned run, but they don't show any in the scores for Milford.  Has she allowed any runs?  And, do you have a backup pitcher?

Shannon has only given up one earned run and has pitched every inning in every game  so far.  A Freshman is the back up pitcher I'd opine on her talents but  it would be biased.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

In response to hawksoftballdad's comment:

In response to MikeCage's comment:

You can get Shannon's #'s on the Milford Highschool  Athletics web site or just ask her dad he has them at his finger tips.

He probably has them back as far as U12 days LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

OK NNDad, spill, what in the world happened today?? Never saw that one coming. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NNDad. Show NNDad's posts

In response to Hockeymomsrule's comment:

OK NNDad, spill, what in the world happened today?? Never saw that one coming. 

You have to give Needham credit.  Their pitcher threw strikes, they played solid defense, and the balls didn't drop for NN.  Their outfielders, particularly their right fielder, made some good, sliding on the knees  catches on the type of bloop hits we had against you guys.  I think there were a couple of times in the middle of the line up that we bunted with no outs to advance a runner where I would have argued that those girls should have been swinging away.  They lay down good bunts, but didn't have nearly the speed to turn them into hits, and I don't think it is generally worth the out when you are now relying on weaker batters for the RBI hit.  There were also a few low strikes called for strikeouts, and a close call at first with our speedy slapper, but the bottom line is that Needham didn't make any mistakes that I saw, made some good plays, and got enough runs to win.  I think Natick is going to be a challenge.