High School baseball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soberliving. Show soberliving's posts

High School baseball

Talk about a love fest!! Boston College HS has two of the best pitchers in the state in Donnie Murray and Luke Barkowski, both big, strong righties who throw hard and pound the strike zone. Do you hear about them OF COURS NOT, all you hear about is St Johns Prep, Catholic Memorial and of course Cannaughton, Gorman, Goreham etc etc. These guys are certainly very good obviously and going to D-1 schools, but so are Murray and Barkowski both who have had offers from Ivies, Murray going to Holy Cross and Barkowski prepping at Deerfield to get to Harvard. Do we penalize these guys for being SMART I thought thats what high school sports was all about the student-athlete, give every one a break and stop the lovefest!! BC and Murray beat CM and Gorman and Barkowski beat Wachusett, a western mass power.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soberliving. Show soberliving's posts

Re: High School baseball

Is Norm Walsh the worst baseball coach in High School or is it my imagination. All I witness is scared, intimidated kids trying to play a sport they love. Mr. Walsh, I refuse to call him coach, is everything a high school coach shouldn't be. He's a BULLY. Encouraging, proud, helpful, teacher, role model are some of the qualities a coach at the high school or any level for that matter should be, Walsh at BC high is none of these. When are they going to smarten up and dump this dinosaur. Are the Jesuits that desperate that they will continue to look the other way on this matter. For the last three years they have not had an end-of-the-season cookout because both parents and players could not stand to be in the same yard as him, Gods honest truth!! as any player or parent in the last five years. Time to go!! you have ruined too many high school aspirations. Oh by the way with fifteen hundred boys my grandmother could win more state titles!! nough said. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from penalty. Show penalty's posts

wah,wah,wah.stop whining soso,my kid played for coach walsh,and he absolutly helped my son grow into the young man i am so proud of today.it doesnt sound like its about state titles, and cookouts.it sounds like the big mean coach isnt babying your child. .let coach be,he is helping get your child ready for the real world.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikelong72. Show mikelong72's posts

I don't think BC High is very good this year. Unless the Casey and Regan kids are truly the worst pitchers on their staff. They both got lit up pretty good out here in Central Mass yesterday against SJS (St. John's of Shrewsbury). Last Monday in Westwood SJS outlasted Xaverian in 11 by the score of 2-1. That was a fantastic game between two of the best teams in the state. Wachusett, though a reasonably good Central Mass team, is not an elite program in the class of Xaverian, St. John's Prep, SJS, and BC High. SJ Prep visits SJS on Tuesday which should be a good measuring stick for each team (these two schools played for the D1 basketball title about six weeks ago as well).

I can't comment on the coaching situation at BC High, not cloe enough to the situation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from iloveamerica. Show iloveamerica's posts

I have to agree after having watched B.C. High's Walsh for a number of years, I'm amazed that parents and players put up with his abusive tirades. I've never seen anything like it in any sport at any level. Not even football line coaches play the mental abuse game the way Walsh does. Penalty says his kid grew from it. He's one of the lucky ones. I find him him more offensive and foul mouthed than Bobby Knight and I'm just dumfounded each year that no one at BC High has grown tired of his antics. It can't be a lot of fun when even in a victory he's lashing out on his players. If I was a parent I'd just video tape any one game and there would be enough evidence of abuse to have him removed from absolutely every program in the state except for one-BC High. With all that said, they are once again a top team loaded with good hitters and a some live arms. Murray and Barkowski are the real deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from powernspeed. Show powernspeed's posts

Who are the top pitchers this season in EMass baseball?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from damianid. Show damianid's posts

In Response to Re: High School baseball:
    [QUOTE]Who are the top pitchers this season in EMass baseball?
    Posted by powernspeed[/QUOTE]

North Andover has some talented pitchers this year.  Weisman is a lefty and is 4 - 0 and he can bring it.  Leavit and Walsh are also 4 - 0.  They got a nice team and I would love to see them play against some of the power house big schools.  They would probably beat them.  You know what they say about pitching. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcurt89. Show jcurt89's posts

I'm guessing the reason why  Shawn McGrath from Everett isnt considered one of the top pitchers in the state may be because he attends a Public School. I watched the young kid pitch Vs. Cannaughton who is a great pitcher. And it clearly seemed to me McGrath out pitched him. The kid was throwing just as fast and his Curve ball was dominate. I heard it was going to be a great pitching match-up and that's what it was. I believe he is attending URI next yr and they are getting a great athlete.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheEyeintheSky. Show TheEyeintheSky's posts

[QUOTE]I'm guessing the reason why  Shawn McGrath from Everett isnt considered one of the top pitchers in the state may be because he attends a Public School. I watched the young kid pitch Vs. Cannaughton who is a great pitcher. And it clearly seemed to me McGrath out pitched him. The kid was throwing just as fast and his Curve ball was dominate. I heard it was going to be a great pitching match-up and that's what it was. I believe he is attending URI next yr and they are getting a great athlete.
    Posted by jcurt89[/QUOTE]

Connaughton was 90-92 on the gun and McGrath was 89-91 when they played last Saturday.Both youg men are are real good pitchers and should be successful in college.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FAMSony. Show FAMSony's posts

[QUOTE]Who are the top pitchers this season in EMass baseball?
    Posted by powernspeed[/QUOTE]
    Last year as a sophmore, Braintree's Pat Delano was named a league allstar and led the league in strikeouts with 63. His fastball averaged around 94mph and last year was ranked the 11th best overall player in the class of 2012. In their first tournament game in the 2nd inning against eventual sectional champion Xavrian, he tore his ACL and got tommy john surgery by james andrews in july and should have another dominant senior year next year. 
    Its a shame how you don't hear about this kid, probably becuase he goes to public school. Last i heard he was deciding between Vanderbilt, Purdue, and Stanford

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boogsie. Show Boogsie's posts

The tournament will test the depth of pitching with the 9 inning format.  Everyone has an ace.  Some teams have 2.  Only a couple have 3 who would be legitimate aces for most schools.  Those are the schools to watch. 

Aside from pitching there aren't many dominant offensive teams.  Look at the leading hitters in Massachusetts.  Most are kids playing in D2 or D3, schools like Scituate, Abington, East Bridgewater, Hingham, etc.  No disrespect, but these are kids who would be good in D1 but are feasting on inferior competition to post gaudy individual numbers.  An some of those leagues use composite or aluminum bats instead of wood - likely to also inflate the numbers.

Teams to watch.

Lexington - Going undefeated in any conference is a huge accomplishment.  But will theodds be against them?  We'll see.

Walpole - they seem to have won a lot of games by more lopsided scores than most.  Can their pitching hold up?

All the Catholic Conference schools.  They would all have better records if they weren't busy beating the crap out of eachother.  Each one is capable of beating the other on any given day.  By far, the most competitive conference in the state.

Lincoln Sudbury - solid all around.  So is Franklin.

I haven't seen Everett, Peabody or Braintree this year, but they ususally have solid programs.

Those 12 have a real shot.  The brackets will have a lot to do with the end results.  For instance, Braintree and Xaverian have a relatively easy road to the South Semifinals, but BC High and CM will have to battle for the right to face the likely winner of Walpole vs. Franklin.

In theNorth, Everett and Lexington have it easy while LS and St. Johns will have duke it out along with Peabody and Xaverian.

Of course, one bad bounce, one missed call, one errantthrow, and all bets are off.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlieMc. Show CharlieMc's posts

re: Boogsie
    I agree. Catholic Conference baseball is fun to watch, and Gerry Lambert one baseball coach who loves his job as coach and it's contagious. Go Hawks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvULongtime. Show LuvULongtime's posts

The Globe's converage of H.S Baseball in ALL Div. is pathetic...in this day and age with Tweets, Facebook, Email,.....there should be realtime scores, updates and schedules....ooop sorry meant the NY Times....