MIAA Tourney Scores

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrapa-. Show scrapa-'s posts

Re: MIAA Tourney Scores

Go BSC!!  Been too long since NN made a run like this.  Maybe it wasn't a down year for the league after all.  Maybe the teams were so tightly bunched and equal that they were taking points from each other.  Example...Framingham loses and ties to Braintree, ties Weymouth twice, wins and ties with NN and finishes with exactly 18 points.  Tough league, the margin for error in the Carey was razor thin this year.      Now let's see Braintree and Weymouth take care of business in the South.

Was anyone at the NN game?  Lexington looked really good the other day.  Would love to know how it all went down.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluedevils1212. Show bluedevils1212's posts

In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores:
    [QUOTE]Go BSC!!  Been too long since NN made a run like this.  Maybe it wasn't a down year for the league after all.  Maybe the teams were so tightly bunched and equal that they were taking points from each other.  Example...Framingham loses and ties to Braintree, ties Weymouth twice, wins and ties with NN and finishes with exactly 18 points.  Tough league, the margin for error in the Carey was razor thin this year.      Now let's see Braintree and Weymouth take care of business in the South. Was anyone at the NN game?  Lexington looked really good the other day.  Would love to know how it all went down.
    Posted by scrapa-[/QUOTE]
    Newton North dominated the first half.  No chances for Lexington.  Newton N. centerback scored two goals.  NN forward was tripped in the box, centerback came and hit a perfect upper right penalty.  With about 10 min left in the half, the same NN player (number 12) headed home a corner from the six.
    Lexington put solid pressure on in the second half on set pieces and scored on one, although the AR flagged offside.  NN held out for a great win.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goalazzo. Show Goalazzo's posts

Brookline beat Somerville 2-1. Wasn't as close as the score. Brookline's defense is championship caliber.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

Two of the best central midfielders

I'm predicting a faceoff between NB and Weymouth in the D1 final.  If you go to Weymouth you'll see Robbie Lynch vs. Fernando Baptista.  If you want to see two of the best central midfielders in the state, go check it out.  Contrasting playing styles, Lynch is a hustler, quick more attacking midfielder, great throw-ins, shoots well; Baptista is tall, stalky holds onto the ball really well, pinpoint passes, more defensive midfielder that can play as a target man, powerful shot but lacks the explosiveness that Lynch possesses.  I feel both these players could play for good D1 colleges.  Go check them out and you won't be disappointed.  I think NB pulls it off in Weymouth.  If NB doesn't get by Braintree it will be surprising but you never know in the tourney.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

Alex, you are safe for now.

Weymouth 3 SL 0

0-0 at the half. SL playing defensively but still right where they wanted to be.

5 minutes into 2nd half SL gives up a foul 30 yards out and Lynch scores on a free kick on a ball that was blasted just under the middle of the crossbar with no dip. The ball was rising. Still don't how he did that. SL did not recover and within a few minutes gave up another goal off a throw. Still not sure Weymouth has scored in the run of play against SL in 2 games, but no matter Weymouth ends up with what sounds like a blowout. The bigger problem with Weymouth is that it is very difficult to score against them. Ask Brockton.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jason12343. Show jason12343's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : I am always bemused by the bashing of referees.  I doubt very much that you are a referee.  It is likely that you have no concept as to what it takes to officiate a match.  The fact that you, on the sideline or in the stands, think there are "blatant, missed calls", does not mean that those calls are, in fact, in error.  Point of view is critical, as is the feel of the game, the nature of the instance, and many other factors. If you believe that the officiating is a problem, your solution is to require more officials (3-man vs 2-man)?  Would that not lead to a greater possibility of mistakes? Every sport requires officials - therefore resulting in a human element that can never be eliminated.  Officials must have an impact - that is the nature of sport.   A call not made can be as critical as a call made.  Are some officials better than others - absolutely. However, I know of no official with an agenda, no official who knowingly favors one team over another,  no official who does not bring integrity to the pitch.   Regardless of what it may seem to a fan, it just doesn't happen.   
    Posted by wgleslie[/QUOTE]

To say it doesn't happen is incorrect.  To say it almost never happens would be a more accurate statement.  I know of a referee who started frisking our inner city kids before a game during spring soccer, while he asked if they had any weapons or knives. U16 team.  We got the kids back in the car, didn't play the game and demanded the ref never do our city team again.  The guy appeared a couple of years later in one of our high school games and gave the opposing team three attempts to take the same PK that was saved twice by the GK.  The third time the shooter scored and we lost 3-2. 

Personally had another exeperience in Brookline where 95% of the calls were made against our team.  The opposing team would commit similar fouls with no calls made.  Our coach was told after his second complaint that he would get a direct red and have to forfeit the game if he opened his mouth again.  Our coach remained silent for the remaining 65 minutes and at the end of the game our coach refused to shake hands with the official and claimed it was his only means of protest.

Maybe about 30 percent of the high school officials should not be officiating games because of the phsical demands of the two man.  Some of them not because they don't know the game or rules but more that they can't keep up with the play.

I agree that too many people don't know the game and blame the referees.  Human error is an unfortunate aspect of the game but way too much emphasis is often placed on the officials.  To say there aren't people out there with bias' and prejudices isn't exactly true, but it is rather rare.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from doublea399. Show doublea399's posts

Concord Carlisle vs. Winchester. this is going to be the game of the tournament.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SPORTSRGOOD. Show SPORTSRGOOD's posts

Sandwich vs Canton may not be a bad game either

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southshoreexpert. Show southshoreexpert's posts

Sort of an aside, but as one of those who was wondering about the south semis being played at Gr NB Voke, I must say that the facility is spectacular. A very impressive venue, and the school seemed very nice. I can't think of a better high school stadium off the top of my head.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

D-3N, they're giving St. Mary's of Lynn a home game against Rockport. Rockport should still win easy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

[QUOTE]Alex, you are safe for now. Weymouth 3 SL 0 0-0 at the half.
    Posted by southshoreexpert[/QUOTE]

It's fun to add drama to the mix. I was 99.9% sure Weymouth had this in the bag.

I didn't think Silver Lake could hold another very good team defensively. I thought this was an easy pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexFilides. Show AlexFilides's posts

I didn't realize it until now, it was almost an all BSC EMass D-1 Final 4.

As I mentioned before the tourney, if Brookline returns to form as they had earlier in the year, they will be in the mix with Lexington and L-S. Newton N I didn't think they had a chance coming off a 3 win season. The biggest surprise may have been them scoring 2 goals against Lexington, after scoring 3 goals in their first 3 games. They only had one goal against Lynn English, although NN won 1-0 vs. AB it really wasn't a goal in regulation or OT.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miked070707. Show miked070707's posts

It was nearly an all BSC final 4 for Eastern Mass.  Braintree went up 1-0 on New Bedford about 10 minutes in.  New Bedford really pushed forward after giving up the first goal.  They dominated the rest of the first half and got an equalizer with about 11 minutes left in the first half.  And then halftime came and Braintree really regrouped.  Braintree really seemed to control the second half and looked the more dangerous side.  But with about 3 minutes to go in the game Number 20 (forgot his name) struck the ball from just outside the 18 and put it over the keeper.  A really terrific strike.

I have to say New Bedford was the more talanted team, no doubt about it, but Braintree was tenacious and never gave an inch and made it really tough for New Bedford.  And this is why I like Weymouth in the South Final.  Weymouth can match New Bedford's technical ability and they play a physical game and outwork their opponents just like I thought Braintree did tonight.  

I'm guessing Baptista for New Bedford is number 5 and he was impressive in the midfield but theres no way Weymouth gives him as much space as he had tonight. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from emasssoccer2010. Show emasssoccer2010's posts

Arlington coach on his team's 2-1 loss to Winchester: "They are who we thought they were! And we let 'em off the hook!"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jod20102. Show jod20102's posts

Any reports from the D-S vs. Nantucket game? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soccerfan12. Show soccerfan12's posts

Lex/N-N

N-N's magical run and win over Lex is the biggest upset in EMASS HS Soccer in the last 5 or 6 years at least no?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sochamps. Show sochamps's posts

Nantucket lost 1-0 in overtime.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boasted. Show Boasted's posts

[QUOTE]It was nearly an all BSC final 4 for Eastern Mass.  Braintree went up 1-0 on New Bedford about 10 minutes in.  New Bedford really pushed forward after giving up the first goal.  They dominated the rest of the first half and got an equalizer with about 11 minutes left in the first half.  And then halftime came and Braintree really regrouped.  Braintree really seemed to control the second half and looked the more dangerous side.  But with about 3 minutes to go in the game Number 20 (forgot his name) struck the ball from just outside the 18 and put it over the keeper.  A really terrific strike. I have to say New Bedford was the more talanted team, no doubt about it, but Braintree was tenacious and never gave an inch and made it really tough for New Bedford.  And this is why I like Weymouth in the South Final.  Weymouth can match New Bedford's technical ability and they play a physical game and outwork their opponents just like I thought Braintree did tonight.   I'm guessing Baptista for New Bedford is number 5 and he was impressive in the midfield but theres no way Weymouth gives him as much space as he had tonight. 
    Posted by miked070707[/QUOTE]

was at game last night and yes new bedford was the more talented team,but was hoping braintree pulled it out. After first goal i thought it might happen.
    the midfielder #8 settled a goal kick nicely and made a great pass through two defenders where the forward finished. but never seemed comfortable for new bedford seemed to be open all the time and their passes were right on. braintree defense played great just couldnt get a lucky bounce.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slowbutquick. Show slowbutquick's posts

I think one of the lessons of this years Tourn is that TVL and middlesex league teams have to play tougher games out of their league. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheifhowareya13. Show cheifhowareya13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : I disagree. Brookline played very well in the first half but Somerville dominated the second half. Brookline hit them on a counter attack to go up 2-0 but Somerville scored with 25 minutes left. From that point on, Brookline put there tail between their legs and decided to defend behind there 50. Give them credit. They are a very well coached team and are extremely disciplined. Somerville was the better team tonight but Brookline's defense was top notch. They play 4 flat in the back and do not make mistakes, in fact, the one mistake they did make, Somerville scored.
    Posted by n6y2958j[/QUOTE]

This is actually completely off. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Brookline had to pack there D because Somerville switched to a 3-4-3. That's why they were forced to packed it in. Also, this left Somerville open to counter attack, which is why Brookline kept getting opportunities. It was also closer than it should have been because I know that there are lucky bounces, however Somerville's goal was one of the scrubbier ones I have seen this tournament, with a clearance turned deflection off another defender and a lucky bounce for the Somerville striker. Number 10 for Somerville was also a non factor. Give credit to Brookline for shutting down DeNormandie and now him, two games in a row. Brookline should have won by more in my opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvlfan01. Show tvlfan01's posts

The DS/Nantucket game was an extremely well-played game on both sides.  Two very evenly matched teams.  Nantucket had better chances but DS controlled more of the game.  OT goal was a great cross with header at the far post.  Congrats to Nantucket on a great season and good luck DS going forward.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from xsoccer92. Show xsoccer92's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : How could Brookline have won by more if they defended for 30 minutes? How could it have been closer than it should have been? This doesn't make any sense at all. Strategy is strategy. Somerville moved to a 3-4-3 and Brookline packed it in. They couldn't adjust to Somerville by playing the same game they played. Let me ask you this...what if Somerville played a 3-4-3 all game, does Brookline pack it in for 80 minutes straight? They did do a pretty good job on Homero, but that has more to do with them packing it in than anything. He had 2,3 players on him at all times. He is actually the best player in the state, hands down. I've seen DeNormandie play on several occasions and he doesn't have what Homero has.DeNormandie is a product of the system. The same type of player you will see in Maple, ODP, etc. Homero is unique. You can't teach what Homero has. There will be thousands of players like Cole at the next leval, but not many like Homero. Those that succeed in a sport with a lack of investment are those whose parents are econmically fit to put them through the system. I've seen thousands of city kids who come from broken homes with more than enough talent to play Maple league but can't because they don't have the money to do so. This is why Soccer will never be a top tier sport in this country. In a sense, we need "BOOSTERS" that invest in talent and we need to stop just developing kids that show up with a $500 from there parents. 

Homero and Cole are both Revs academy players...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : I wasn't aware of this, however, how could I put this, Cole's game, along with thousands of others across the country, is a product of the system. Homero on the other hand, eventhough playes with the Revs, has talent thats can't be taught through the system. My pt was just to clarify why Homero is the better player. Cole is fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I've seen players like him at the next level that are dime a dozen. Homero, not too many.

Come off it dude you're embarrassing yourself.  Do you realize how many players play club soccer?  Cole is the product of what system, the same one that Homero comes from?  The reason we are talking about both of these guys is because they both have a lot of talent.

I hope what you're trying to say is that Cole is more seasoned, and Homero has more upside.  But a lot of players who come through the same system and don't reach Cole's level.

Now understand, Homero may be better than Cole.  But you have an obvious bias. Call a spade a spade, both guys were shut down by an organized, compact, and talented defense.  Honestly I think both guys will make an impact in college but neither beyond that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kipmaster24. Show Kipmaster24's posts

Was anyone at the Arlington Winchester game?  Was Arlington really up with 5 minutes to play?  And most importantly what's the scouting report on Winchester?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheifhowareya13. Show cheifhowareya13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MIAA Tourney Scores : Come off it dude you're embarrassing yourself.  Do you realize how many players play club soccer?  Cole is the product of what system, the same one that Homero comes from?  The reason we are talking about both of these guys is because they both have a lot of talent. I hope what you're trying to say is that Cole is more seasoned, and Homero has more upside.  But a lot of players who come through the same system and don't reach Cole's level. Now understand, Homero may be better than Cole.  But you have an obvious bias. Call a spade a spade, both guys were shut down by an organized, compact, and talented defense.  Honestly I think both guys will make an impact in college but neither beyond that.

Posted by Kipmaster24[/QUOTE]

Yea I agree with Kipmaster, I think it is also hard to compare two different style of players. You clearly have a bias for Homero, which is fine, but I think it is hard to make the argument about being the product of club soccer. You could start to make an argument about the town they come from and the style of play they learn there. I think you are just digging yourself into a hole.

And as far as Brookline "packing it in," if Somerville puts more players on offense than Brookline puts on defense, than it is appropriate for Brookline to counteract that by playing more defensively. With the lead, they didn't have any need to take risks. It would be one thing if Somerville didn't change and Brookline packed it in on defense. That is what I would call packing it in. However, this wasn't the case because Somerville made a tactical change, and Brookline just complemented their decision. Either way, this wasn't nearly as even a match as the Brookline Lincoln-Sudbury game.