Jealous???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fignewton11. Show fignewton11's posts

Jealous???

CM is probably the best overall HS hockey program in the country. Every time you post you detract from that. You go to completely unrelated threads to brag about CM. With all the talk about winning classy in the media this week, maybe coach Hanson should sit you down and teach you some humility.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

kevmass-

I think you might take alot of flak for making such an erroneous statement. I quote you:

" Players who want to play hockey and are not good enough to go to CM, BC high and other, don't go there, they stay at their public school."

Well my good freind you couldn't be any further from the truth. Quite possibly the reason that Prep and catholic schools are so much better than most public is schools is as easy as economics. Hockey is a very expensive sport to support... I can recall back in the 80's that EMASS hockey had some very good if not great teams back then... Of Course the preps and Catholics had Matignon, St Johns Prep et al. But the publics had Arlington, Acton_Boxborough Medford etc... But over the past 20 years or so the rising cost of playing hockey has limited kids who are not so fortunate and do go to public schools. This Preps and Catholic school have not lost a step but the gap between these 2 school sectors has widened. If you think that all the best kids go to Prep and Catholic schools then you obviously never heard of Tom Barraso...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

kevmass-

Maybe I am slow... But didnt you just confirm everything I said about the Preps and Catholics having better programs due to economics? And trust me I'm sure not ALL top players in the last 15 years or any time frame for that matter went to a Prep or Catholic school.. Why don't you do the leg work and prove me wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocks01867. Show rocks01867's posts

Jealous???

Pat Kiley, leading scorer in the state with 45 points after yesterday, goes to Reading Memorial High School

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

kevmass

I did state one. I'm sorry I didn't pick one in your timeframe...I guess your alot YOUNGER than I am and you seem to have all the answers... Perhaps someday when your all grown up you will understand what your talking about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

Kevmass-

Heres one, Pat Kiley from Reading (thanks rocks01867)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fignewton11. Show fignewton11's posts

Jealous???

Blake Bellefeuille and Dan Lacouture are two pretty good players from the BSC. Blake stayed at Framingham because they had won a state title and he was more comfortable playing with his lifelong friends. 300 points, I think he made the right choice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

kevmass-

Do you even read the stuff you write? Do you actually think it through? You asked me to name a player who is good enough to play DIV 1 hockey who is a top player not THE top player.. Again here is YOUR quote:

" Players who want to play hockey and are not good enough to go to CM, BC high and other, don't go there, they stay at their public school."

So in your opinion Mr Kiley is NOT GOOD enough to go to CM, BC High etc... Is this what your saying? Because I am saying that he is good enough he just chooses to go to a PUBLIC school. And I am quite sure that ALL reputable scouts are looking at him in a PUBLIC School.

Is he or is he not one of the top players in HS hockey today? Please stop wasting my time with your senseless rhetoric.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

Uhmm you NEED TO READ WHAT YOU WROTE NOT ME ... ONCE AGAIN YOU WROTE and I QUOTE: In message # 1397.4

Players who want to play hockey and are not good enough to go to CM, BC high and other, don't go there, they stay at their public school.

Then you wrote this: in Message # 1397.13

Get with it. You are the one stating that top players come from the public schools not me, you go out and name them!!!!!

Now did you or did you not write this? So I named A player not THE TOP PLAYER JUST A PLAYER..Yes I can read.. Please get your facts straight before you start quoting me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

kevmass

LOL...This is funny...Your absolutely correct in that if a player was not good enough to play at a PREP or Catholic school he wouldnt go there he would play at his public school.. With that said ..I commented on your blanket statement that ALL top players play for Prep or Catholic schools and I stated that there are kids who could play in Prep and Catholic schools but choose to play in public schools...I will agree that the elite schools is the way to go but it still doesn't mean that ALL top players go there.. As for how we got to this point.. I just commented on the difference in programs where the elite schools have the money to put together a great program where the publics do not.. This has nothing to do with a players own economic situation...I do know that schools can assist a financial hardship with costs and whatnot... And no I am not always correct I have even apologized when I was wrong here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

kevmass-

Ok I checked a bit and looked at the University of Vermont and Maine and noticed something and it has me thinking.. You stated that all players but 1 from the 3 schools you listed either went to Prep or Catholic schools or played Junior Hockey.. This we agree on? Good.. Well my question is this.. How do you know for a fact that none of the players who played Junior hockey played at a public school prior to that.. Now I do understand that this is a longshot but you must agree that it is possible. Basically to prove your point you would need to know every players bio in junior hockey as well as all DIV 1 schools. I'm not trying to be correct I just feel that there must be some players out there who played for a public school.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

I totally agree with you.... See wasn't that easy... Back in the 1980's there were some very good teams in the public sector but that has all changed.. I was actually talking about how the quality of play has changed over the years how the talent pool has shifted to almost all of the preps and catholic schools. I can remember when Medford, Arlington Acton-Boxboro were yearly powerhouses in hockey.. Not the case anymore.. I believe the reason is the decline of youth hockey programs as well as lack of funds for public schools to maintain a high level of competition in public schools....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stim8ed. Show stim8ed's posts

Jealous???

PAULDAWG...

Jay Pandolfo might have started at public school, but he finished at CM(BU junior terriers).

As for the public/Catholic debate:

CM and the other Catholic schools probably do not recruit, but that does not change the fact that they have an advantage over the public schools and should be grouped with the preps.

That being said, I think that if that happens, HS hockey in MA will not benefit much. I think being able to play against the Catholic schools makes the public teams better. Better competition makes teams better. These schools are good for hockey in MA. Their absence will give a lot of other kids a shot at the championship, but will that be better for everyone? Maybe...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

Where did Joe Sacco go to school? Was it Medford or did he too go to a prep/catholic school?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

TSULL

You're absolutely correct those teams CAN'T recruit same as any other school in MA. Recruiting is not allowed for any school PREP, Catholic or Public. With that said. Theres no doubt that these players are persuaded in some way or another to play for the elite schools. Whether its becasue its a great program, great school whatever the case may be the students are led there one way or another.

And Economics does play a part in this factor. It has nothing to do with rich kids poor kids whatever.. The Prep schools and Catholic schools all have much better programs for hockey than public schools.. Now not all public schools but for the most part most of the public schools. Trust me when I tell you this I lived through all the budget cuts for sports and other programs and Prep and Catholic schools did not feel the burden of this.. Why? Because they don't get state money. They derive their support from alumni, supporters and tuition among others. This is not the Prep and Catholic schools fault it is what it is so don't get so defensive try looking at things with both eyes open and you might see what things are really like. Yes ECONOMICS plays a big role in ANY schools programs. And that my friend are the FACTS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

Thanks I think he did go to MHS as well but not positive.. And I think Keith Tkchuk played at a Prep or Catholic school. I'm not sure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjim1234. Show jjim1234's posts

Jealous???

Two points on this subject.

1. It is interesting to note that coach Hanson from CM has publicly stated many times that he is not a fan of the multi-game elimination format, and would rather see the super 8 as a single elimination tourney. I find that interesting, because the multigame elimination format does benefit the stronger teams like CM, but I think he realizes that the single elimination format is more exciting, and gets to the point without drawing out the process. In addition he's probably sick of the format changes, of which there have been several in the brief history of the Super 8. I think he's on the right track. Good schools, great teams, but upsets make tournament play more exciting, and the super 8 just doesn't have enough of that.-too predictable. Just look at the excitement of the D1 tourney last year with Marshfield surprising Xaverian and St. John's Prep to win it all.

2. The word recruiting gets thrown around too much. The reputation of the top privates, as well as some form of persuasion plays a huge factor. Think of how many very good, but perhaps not good enough, players that each public would have loved to have, but they went to CM or BC, etc, but never quite made those teams. Some of those kids transfer back to publics, but some stay, hoing for a shot, but never quite make it. Probably good enough to be on the team, but in a pool of many other kids of similar ability, and only 20 or so can be picked. It's funny, some who go to a catholic, "strictly for the education", but don't make the hockey team, transfer back to a public school. I guess they decided the education wasn't worth it, or did they care in the first place?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stim8ed. Show stim8ed's posts

Jealous???

Jim Carey was always listed as being from Dorchester, but I think that wasbecause born there or moved there during high school. I played with him in Weymouth where he grew upbefore finding his way to the NHL and the Vezina Trophy. His brotherPaul was a great baseball player, full boat to Stanford if I remembercorrectly? Played minor league ball after college...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

jjim1234

I totally agree with you that the single elimination format makes for a much more exciting tournament.. Take the 1980 Olympic team.. Beating the Soviets in that game was probably the biggest upset of all time.. But have that same team play the Soviets in a best of series and we lose hands down.. Yes 1 and done makes for a much better tournament. It also gives all the teams a fighting chance to topple the giants.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devannd. Show devannd's posts

Jealous???

TSULL549

I really don't think you understood what he was trying to say about Reading.. You criticize Reading's program yet you forget that CM is on thier schedule.. I don't follow this much and I don't know the playoff format but remember this.. If it is a 1 game playoff it always favors the underdog as they have nothing to lose in a 1 game playoff format.. Best to luck to all the programs but don't think your (CM) is so unbeatable.. Every dog has their day and eventually someone will knock off the top dog. Just ask the SOVIETS of 1980.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjim1234. Show jjim1234's posts

Jealous???

D1 colleges don't really want the MIAA D1 Catholic Conference players either. Not right away at least. They may have interest, but the majority of them are told to play a year or two of juniors or at least one year of Prep school before they are really interested. Look at D1 rosters, you see very few HS players listed at all. The Catholic Conference is thh strongest conferenece in the state for hockey, but even those kids don't have it easy in getting D1 colleges to take them directly. For the most part, they have to compete all overa again at the Prep or junior level, which includes some of the better public players as well.