The best American athlete

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shansta. Show shansta's posts

[Quote]Eric Heiden HAS to be on this list. Five golds in the only 5 Speedskating events, all in World Record time.

Spitz already did what Phelps is accomplishing. NOBODY ever did what Heiden did, before or since. Todays speedskaters don't even skate all the distances, only their specialty.[/Quote] The whole point of the Phelps excitement is that he is BETTER than Spitz... Lets just get that clear (even Spitz himself congradulated Phelps on that)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shansta. Show shansta's posts

[Quote]

Yeah - the gender balance is way off. What about Mary Lou Retton, Michele Quan, etc?

[/Quote]

I would like to second the Mary Lou Retton vote - She's an icon

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from causewaychaos. Show causewaychaos's posts

Definition of an athlete:
    a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

I say pick an athlete who excels in all 3 of these categories. And, it is difficult to pick an athlete who excels in one sport to hold this title. Lance Armstrong is undeniably the greatest cyclist of all time. Michael Phelps is the greatest American Olympian SWIMMER and based on Gold Medals, arguably be the greatest American Olympian PERIOD.

I really believe the title should go to an athlete who excelled in many areas. I also believe that there should be a category for MEN and WOMEN.

MEN: Jim Thorpe
    WOMEN: Undecided because I don't know of many women athletes who crossed more than one sport in their lifetimes. For now, I would have to say Babe Zaharias.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevef. Show stevef's posts

I just love the way that all US news sites have decided to invent their own way of doing the medal table so that the US is above China (just by doing "total medals".

Phelps is awesome, but the US is way behind China on the IOC ranking. If it weren't for Phelps US would be on the same Gold medal count as Great Britain.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnb3950. Show johnb3950's posts

Jack69 said..[Quote] I agree with "barryshaft", it begins and ends with Jim Thorpe, olympic medalist in BOTH decathalon and pentathalon, pro-footbal player, pro-aseball, pro-basketball.....[/Quote]

But what barryshaft didn't do was commit the egregious misspellings of DECATHLON and PENTATHLON...they stem from people's lazy pronounciation, can't say two consonants together...It's like saying "cyckullist" or "athalete." (Or "nucular"!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MauraB. Show MauraB's posts

Some say that Tiger is the best
    Some say Lance.
    And though my ken of sports is slim,
    I hold with those who favor Jim
    (Thorpe, that is).
    But were I able to vote twice
    I think I know enough of skill
    To say that Babe is also great
    And should be Queen
    (Of the hill, that is)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from merlinmurph. Show merlinmurph's posts

Locally, one of the best athletes around is our own Danny Ainge. While he was a student at BYU, his summer job was playing ball for the Toroto Blue Jays. No Cape league for him. ;-) He graduated, decided to play hoop, and managed to help the Celts win a few championships. And his golf handicap is/was low single digits.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsfan68. Show sportsfan68's posts

I say Bo Jackson because he excelled in both Pro football and baseball-unlike Jordan and other two sport stars. One of the strongest and fastest atheletes in the world, as well as agile, coordinated-he had everything-that's the best athelete. The hip injury probably was a result of playing both sports at the same time-shouldn't be penalized for that. Jackson could probably have played every position on the football field (?) - something Dein S. couldn't do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorUpside. Show majorUpside's posts

Jim Thorpe

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grita123. Show Grita123's posts

Re: The best American athlete

I'd probably have to agree with Lance Armstrong. There are so many great athletes that do it for the love of the sports, not the $, but our country rarely acknowledges them. I found a great site with a lot of youth sports guides to help your child become a great athlete here: http://www.life123.com/sports/index.shtml
    I think kids need to learn that sports are about more than just overpaid professional athletes.