Two-sport athlete suspended

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

***UPDATE: Latin Academy has forfeited its swimming championships due to the violation.***

The MIAA has notified Latin Academy freshman Justina Langone that she violated the association's rules by participating in two winter sports (hockey and swimming).

The 15-year-old standout was suspended from both teams and is expected to be deemed ineligible for the 2006-07 season, which forced the swimming team to forfeit its Boston City League championship and the hockey team to miss the postseason.

Does the punishment fit the crime? The MIAA says all principals, athletic directors and coaches of its member schools should know the rules. But should an entire team have to pay for one player's mistake? Should the MIAA allow athletes to compete in multiple sports in one season?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fignewton11. Show fignewton11's posts

I have always been under the impression that as long as one of the two sports is a non-contact sport (swimming) it was ok. This allows for a kid to play baseball and track in the spring, or football and cross country in the fall. I think that as long as this girl's gpa is solid and her coaches are in agreement over any conflicts that may arise between simultaneous matches then the MIAA should stay out of it. It sounds like this girl is no bench warmer and that she is important to both teams. Good for her. What's wrong with realizing her full potential? Absolutely should not penalize the teams. Has anyone explained the purpose/benefit of this rule, or is it just another whimsical regulation put forth by some retired AD at MIAA headquarters?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fignewton11. Show fignewton11's posts

Sorry, I wasn't clear before. I know that it is a rule, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Ideally, a kid that can maintain a certain GPA (3.0?), and excel at 2 sports (at least 1 being non-contact) should be allowed to do so. The athlete would have to declare which sport is his or her number one in case there is ever a scheduling conflict. That way that student would not be torn on a day when two games are scheduled, the decision would already be made. The MIAA moved in this general direction a a few years back by allowing athletes to participate in town leagues on the same day as a school event. As long as the athlete puts the HS team first it is now allowed. He/she is NOT allowed to miss a HS practice or game to attend a non school athletic event. The way I look at it is if a kid has basketball practice from 3-5 pm and wants to swim or run indoor track from 7-9 pm then so be it. Technically it is their time to do with what they please, what better way to spend it than HS athletics. In the end, very strict GPA guidelines MUST be met.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fignewton11. Show fignewton11's posts

While I agree that it is clear cut NOW, it should be changed. It is strictly your opinion that student athletes "have enough on their plate". Granted, the athletes that could handle 2 sports at once would have to be gifted in academics and athletics, but these special cases do exist. I just think of great soccer players that are also great golfers and /or great lax players that could succeed at the shot put or javelin. As long as the coaches are on board with this, I say go for it. Why shouldn't the star soccer player be allowed to kick for the football team on Friday nights? (2 contact sports, I know) I have definitely gotten off the topic of this thread, but two successful teams of kids having to forfeit entire seasons/bodies of work seems extreme. You are right on the money when you say that Latin should have known this rule. I will look into getting it changed as I see 2 sport participation as a reward for the extremely gifted, not a burden.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachk25. Show coachk25's posts

It's Latin Academy I believ, not Boston Latin School.....there is a difference

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from matmgr1. Show matmgr1's posts

I agree with the MIAA on this issue. For the school to be allowing this to happen when they must know the rules is just stupidity. The athletic director should be fired and the coaches of both sports should be suspended or terminated because of their obvious knowledge of this violation of rules.

Even if the student has a 4.0 GPA the MIAA ruling is for the athletic teams, not the fact that scholastically the student is not affected by the two sports.

The issue of contact and non-contact sports are not involved in this rule. Simply stated, you cannot play two sports that have schedules intersecting each other.

The other issue is the fact that because this athlete has taken up one slot of a team that should not be open to her probably prevents another student athlete from joining the team. It is a selfish situation for all parties involved with this school and its athletic department. If I was a parent of a student who tried to make either one of this teams I would be extremely upset at them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from codder90. Show codder90's posts

You are missing the underlying principle of team sports and viewing it from an individuals perspective. Team sports offer the opportunity for athletes to learn to win together and lose together.

Asking an athlete to declare her "number one" sport does a disservice to her team mates in her second sport. When scheduling conflicts arise and they will, asking a team to patch up a hole left by her absence is unfair. Knowing they are second on her list of priorities would not be good for team morale.

Life involves some tough choices and you can't always do what you want. If you join a team, particularly if you are gifted, you should commit to that team and do your best. I'm not sure Latin Academy got the best when their goalie arrived at the last minute dripping wet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fignewton11. Show fignewton11's posts

Just what I have been trying to say. The girl, the school, and the coaches were all wrong. They broke a rule that is in place, I just think it is a bad rule. Ironically, the people in the most danger of being hosed are the girls teammates whose seasons could go down the drain. Good example with Wilkerson, what state is he from? (Kentucky)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmanchester. Show tmanchester's posts

BSMom is right on. The MIAA rules are clear. The school, AD and coaches are accountable for this. Their teams must forfeit in fairness to all their swimming and hockey opponents. The MIAA rules will have no credibility if they are not enforced.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fignewton11. Show fignewton11's posts

Soccer IS a contact sport.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhockey. Show bostonhockey's posts

well langone obviously made a huge mistake n definitely knew what she was doing, but even more blame should be placed on the AD n swimming coach as the AD said he didnt know it was a rule (then is he qualified to be athletic director if he doesnt even kno the rules of the system), and the swimming coach who "didnt kno she played hockey til halway through the season" which is absolute bs as she is the starting goalie on the team n is clearly passionate about the sport.

the lies of these individuals (swimin coach n athletic director) are anything but admirable and are IMO worse than her actions

i do agree with the punishment. whether or not the rule is a good one RULES ARE RULES

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from uc2002. Show uc2002's posts

1. It is a rule. Rules are to be enforced. It doesn't matter whether the rule is a good rule or a bad rule. Most football fans agree that the "tuck rule" is a bad rule. I think we are all pretty happy it was enforced. When I was in high school we were entering the league championship xc race and our #2 runner (and #2 in the league) was caught holding a cigarette. It wasn't his. However, he had it on his person. He was suspended as per the rule. It cost us the league championship race. It was the rule.

Two years earlier, we were unbeaten, a student had moved midway through the season, he kept coming to our school, we forfieted all of our races even though he only scored points in ONE of them. Mind you, they found out he had participated in the races about two months after the season ended. We had our t-shirts printed, a trophy presented to us, a banner in the gym. It cost us a championship. Those were the rules. It sucked. We suffered for the blunders of others but we understood.

2. The AD is the one in the wrong above all others. When I was in HS, I would have played two sports in the winter and spring if given a chance. I was a runner in the fall and spring, and played hoop in the winter. If I could have I would have also run in the winter and played baseball in the spring. The AD never would have let that happen. It all comes down on him.

3. The athlete is to blame next. I'm fairly certain that someone must have said to her, "you can't do that". I know if that had been me and someone told me I couldn't be playing two sports that I would have investigated it to avoid just this type of incident.

4. Did the school not do what just about every other high school in MA does and send out a list of compliance rules to the families of all athletes at the start of the school year? If they did this, and the parents claimed to have no idea, then shame on them for not reading it and they are more guilty than the athlete. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the rules.

In fact, the more I think of it, on most schools' athletic dept. permission slips, the parent AND athlete must sign that they have read and understand all enclosed state and school participation rules. If the AD didn't do that, he is negligent (sp) here. That only gives credence to the parents' ignorance.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhockey. Show bostonhockey's posts

"ignorance is no excuse for breaking the rules" --- WELL SAID.

But in this situation, knowing the family, coach, and the AD is it really ignorance? I personalyl think it is not. Someone at one point or another definitely asked her how she did it or was like "is that even allowed...." it doesnt seem plausible to think no one ever questioned it when it never happens that athletes in MA schools play 2 sports....even if it was allowed shed prob have to get a waiver or somethin

the AD is top of my list for blame.... it is debatable here whethere feigning ignorance in this case is actually worse than ignorance......for him to say he had no idea is either a. A BLATANT LIE or B. shows he does not have the credentials to be AD at the school

just my opinion but the swimming coach could not honestly be ignorant of the fact she was playing hockey when she is the starting goalie it just doesnt check out in my book

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonhockey. Show bostonhockey's posts

she did both last year too

n no conflicts ever? sounds too good to be true