"BB has no confidence in his defense"??? = 4 picks, 1 fumble recovery!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

"BB has no confidence in his defense"??? = 4 picks, 1 fumble recovery!

Don't you just love how the media claimed BB had no confidence in his defense?  And what do the Pats do in response (like they ALWAYS do!)?? 

They hAD 4 INT's and a forced fumble to end the game.

Couple things to discuss:

1. Pats hold the #2 seed in their hands.  The next 2 games are HUGE against the 10-0 Saints and those pesky Fins in Miami.  Both the Chargers and Bengals play Cleveland in the next 2 weeks, then Cincy has Detroit while SD has KC. But then they play each other so someone is getting a loss. Bottom line - if the Pats can win out, they should be set up for the #2.

2. New England played well against the Jets although like always they seemed to stall in the 2nd half.  Revis was awesome on Moss but unlike week 2 - when they doubled Moss they now had Welker who had 15 catches (wow!). 

3. Defense was great. 5 turnovers and only allowed 1 TD. 

4. San Diego is really catching fire!  However, not to fear as the Patriots seem to have their number in the playoffs... just like SD has Indy's number... Could be interesting if the 1-4 seeds lined up as: Colts-1, Cincy-2, Pats-3, SD-4...

5. Just my opinion here.... but why are there still threads about the Colts?  Who cares how lucky they may be, or what calls went their way.  They are in the rear view mirror until the Patriots meet them again in the playoffs!

6. Good win - now lets focus on the Saints! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: "BB has no confidence in his defense"??? = 4 picks, 1 fumble recovery!

Phil Simms said it best today "It's not that Belichick didn't have faith in his defense, it's just that he trusted his offense more to get him 2 yards".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

It was idotic to go for it on 4th down deep in their own territory. BB saw his D get tore up in the 2nd half (after a brilliant 1st half) and he didn't want Peyton to even touch the ball again. We used to own Indy, but those days are long gone. Polian got the rules changed and it has worked well for them.

I am a Pats fan, but not a homer. I don't wear rose colored glasses. Our D is pretty good against crappy teams but not against the elite. I thought that the D had enough time to gel and would possibly do well against Indy, and they did for a half, but Manning figured them out and that was the beginning of the end. I still think we'd have had a damn good chance if we had kicked the ball on that 4th down. BB didn't see it that way and he didn't call me at home before the infamous 4th down play to ask my opinion

Yesterday the D capitolized on many Jets mistakes. Good teams will not make those mistakes. The Jets almost made a game of it late, even after 3 picks and a lost fumble they were climbing back into it. The last pick killed them. What is up with our team self destructing in 2nd halves???
    The year Indy won the SB was our worst self destruction ever. The Pats OWNED them in the first half, much like last Sunday, then got killed in the 2nd. Brady USED to come on in the 4th quarter, now he goes 3 & out late in games more often then not

Yeah, the Pats are good, but not great. We could've handed Indy their 1st loss but failed epicly. San Fran held em to 18, Houston held em to 20, Baltimore held em to 17, yet we gave up 35!! The only team to allow more points were the lowly Rams, who allowed 42.

Will they do the same against the Saints???

On a positive note, The Jets, part 1, was only lost because of injuries and possibly a rusty Brady. The loss in Denver was because they lost the coin toss in OT, and the loss to Indy was because of a bad 4th down play, no timeout for a challenge, a bad running game, or simply not punting with such a short time on the clock. We couldn't have really won the Jets game, but the other two could easily have gone our way and we'd be 9-1 with a chance for the 1st seed, especially with a possible win over NO.

If they play as well as they are capable of, they could win it all this year. If they keep self destructing, we'll play the wild card game and probably be bounced in round 2. I'm a fan, but I am a realist

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

I was hoping we could move on from the Colts game and discuss how well the Defense played against the Jets (again, 5 turnovers, and only allowed 7 points).

But just to reply to your post... defense gives up 35 to Indy.  That should have been 21.  Indy gets a BS PI call (there's 7), and Faulk had ther 1st down but at the refs angle he thought otherwise (there's your other 7).  Both those calls go the way they were supposed to and we are talking a different story. We can debate this for yet ANOTHER week and go around in cirlces AGAIN -- or we can discuss how well they played against the Jets.

Like you said - New Orleans will be a good test to see what this defense is REALLY made of.  So I'll leave it to the game on Monday night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: "BB has no confidence in his defense"??? = 4 picks, 1 fumble recovery!:
    [QUOTE]It was idotic to go for it on 4th down deep in their own territory. BB saw his D get tore up in the 2nd half (after a brilliant 1st half) and he didn't want Peyton to even touch the ball again. We used to own Indy, but those days are long gone. Polian got the rules changed and it has worked well for them. I am a Pats fan, but not a homer. I don't wear rose colored glasses. Our D is pretty good against crappy teams but not against the elite. I thought that the D had enough time to gel and would possibly do well against Indy, and they did for a half, but Manning figured them out and that was the beginning of the end. I still think we'd have had a damn good chance if we had kicked the ball on that 4th down. BB didn't see it that way and he didn't call me at home before the infamous 4th down play to ask my opinion Yesterday the D capitolized on many Jets mistakes. Good teams will not make those mistakes. The Jets almost made a game of it late, even after 3 picks and a lost fumble they were climbing back into it. The last pick killed them. What is up with our team self destructing in 2nd halves??? The year Indy won the SB was our worst self destruction ever. The Pats OWNED them in the first half, much like last Sunday, then got killed in the 2nd. Brady USED to come on in the 4th quarter, now he goes 3 & out late in games more often then not Yeah, the Pats are good, but not great. We could've handed Indy their 1st loss but failed epicly. San Fran held em to 18, Houston held em to 20, Baltimore held em to 17, yet we gave up 35!! The only team to allow more points were the lowly Rams, who allowed 42. Will they do the same against the Saints??? On a positive note, The Jets, part 1, was only lost because of injuries and possibly a rusty Brady. The loss in Denver was because they lost the coin toss in OT, and the loss to Indy was because of a bad 4th down play, no timeout for a challenge, a bad running game, or simply not punting with such a short time on the clock. We couldn't have really won the Jets game, but the other two could easily have gone our way and we'd be 9-1 with a chance for the 1st seed, especially with a possible win over NO. If they play as well as they are capable of, they could win it all this year. If they keep self destructing, we'll play the wild card game and probably be bounced in round 2. I'm a fan, but I am a realist
    Posted by hang3xc[/QUOTE]

Wow! We see things through two different eyes. 

First of, Belichick probably went for it on fourth down because he has the greatest offense ever assembled, and one would think they would be able to get two yards on a play. 

The Patriots were soo thin at most positions that it made perfect sense to just rap it up and go home instead of giving the ball back to Peyton Manning after you've lost you're best Pass rusher, his replacement, you came into the game without two of your better run stopping DL men, and the way the refs were calling the game for Peyton.

If you think this defense is crappy against good teams, I would have to say you are very wrong. The Colts game was the first game that they had ever allowed an opposing offense to score 20 points or more in a regulation 4 quarter game. 
    The only thing Peyton Manning figured out was that in Indy, you are going to get favorable calls if you wear white, blue, and a horse shoe on your helmet.

I would like to know how the Jets make a game out of it if they were down by 10 points or more for the entire second quarter? Again, what game are you watching? 

Other teams had a close game against the Colts, we were up by 14 points. The defense started playing prevent, which means give them short yards and keep away from the big play, and Peyton Manning took advantage of that. They played him in press coverage when they held him to 14 points. 

All I can tell you is that sometimes you lose games you should win. You're the biggest pessimist I've ever read. You're the kind of guy that dates Adrianna Lima and gets mad because she isn't Gisselle Bundchen. We outplayed the Colts with major injuries on Offense and Defense, and we lost by one point. The Colts couldn't stop Faulk and Maroney all game, how do you think they would do in against Taylor and Morris? If Sammy had been active in that game, I could almost guarantee the Pats go for it with a run play on 3rd and 2. Morris is their best short yardage runner. Let the Colts celebrate in November, we'll celebrate in February.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IraqSteve. Show IraqSteve's posts

Well said 49P!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

of course the defense looks great againt sorry teams,and rookie QB,s,but we also know how bad they are against the elite teams.we will probably see this next monday.until this defense can shut down the likes of the colts,saints ect.they are average at best.no matter what the stats say on there games against the sorry teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I for one yelled at the TV when we went for it.  I ALSO yelled at the TV when we launched a punt THROUGH the uprights at Mile High and gave the Broncos a safety.  I don't give a sh!t HOW the defense feels.  Its not about how people feel.  Its about winning and losing.  Both of those decisions were made for the best opportunity to win.  One went well, the other went badly.  O.K.  I accept it.  If in SB XXXVI Toms pass was intercepted and run back for 6 and the Rams win, we would be talking about what a lousy decision it was to go for it and not play for OT, even though it was clear the Rams found something in our defense to exploit.  Well, it was the same with Indy.  They found something they liked.  hang3, you say you are a fan, not a homer.  But you ignore the facts, like an ANTI homer.  We are capable of outplaying the colts.  we did it most all game.  Peyton manning is a FAIRLY good quarterback.  The other two losses we had were by a TOTAL of 17 points.  Elite teams?  We can hang with them.  Its a game where skill and planning and luck get mashed together pretty hard.  One not lousy spot, not having to burn a time out because the punt team went on the field, and it is a win.  No rose colored glasses here, but no funeral dirge and black glasses either.  GO PATS!!!