"The Forgotten" Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustaFan5. Show JustaFan5's posts

"The Forgotten" Defense

People are calling the Patriots Defense the "No Name Defense," but that is not really the case with this group. The defense has names, granted they are older names but Shawn Springs is a former 1st-Round Draft pick, and has been paid handsomely throughout his career. Leigh Bodden is a guy many considered to be Pro Bowl caliber two seasons ago in Cleveland, being called the best corner that the then, Chad Johnson had faced. He went to Detroit and was on a team the went 0-16. Meriweather is a player that people saw as extremely talented, but concerns about his tackling and toughness lead to some doubt, but it was he was still expected to contribute at some point. McGowan's story was injuries. When he wasn't hurt he contributed in every game that he played including 07-08 recording serious stats, and developing a reputation as a hitter. Tully Banta-Cain was a memeber of either 1 or 2 Super Bowl teams, and a guy that developed some serious pass rushing skills and had the ability to support the run. He had a big payday to head home to Northern California with the 49ers, and things did not work out for him there. Guyton produced last year as a rookie, and has produced as a replacement for Mayo. Guys like Green, and Wright have not had the opportunities to make consistant contributions because of depth but have proven that they can produce when called on, and that confidence lead to the Seymour trade. Burgess can and will start to produce, he just needs to shake the bad dream he had which was his entire experience in Oakland.
    My point is that this defense has names, and great names at that, but the NFL is what have you done for me lately, it is all about production and status. These guys hit rough patches, but they can play, and have been playing well. They are, "The Forgotten," a group of supposed has beens, or never weres, that just needed a chance to get back to where they were at one point in their career's. That is why BB is a master, because he takes guys backed into a corner and says fight. He motivates by telling players what they used to do, and how people don't think they still can. If McGowan keeps contributing the way he has he could be up for Come Back Player of the Year. There is a lot to be said for what a group can accomplish when nobody gives them a chance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: "The Forgotten" Defense

In Response to "The Forgotten" Defense:
    [QUOTE]People are calling the Patriots Defense the "No Name Defense," but that is not really the case with this group. The defense has names, granted they are older names but Shawn Springs is a former 1st-Round Draft pick, and has been paid handsomely throughout his career. Leigh Bodden is a guy many considered to be Pro Bowl caliber two seasons ago in Cleveland, being called the best corner that the then, Chad Johnson had faced. He went to Detroit and was on a team the went 0-16. Meriweather is a player that people saw as extremely talented, but concerns about his tackling and toughness lead to some doubt, but it was he was still expected to contribute at some point. McGowan's story was injuries. When he wasn't hurt he contributed in every game that he played including 07-08 recording serious stats, and developing a reputation as a hitter. Tully Banta-Cain was a memeber of either 1 or 2 Super Bowl teams, and a guy that developed some serious pass rushing skills and had the ability to support the run. He had a big payday to head home to Northern California with the 49ers, and things did not work out for him there. Guyton produced last year as a rookie, and has produced as a replacement for Mayo. Guys like Green, and Wright have not had the opportunities to make consistant contributions because of depth but have proven that they can produce when called on, and that confidence lead to the Seymour trade. Burgess can and will start to produce, he just needs to shake the bad dream he had which was his entire experience in Oakland. My point is that this defense has names, and great names at that, but the NFL is what have you done for me lately, it is all about production and status. These guys hit rough patches, but they can play, and have been playing well. They are, "The Forgotten," a group of supposed has beens, or never weres, that just needed a chance to get back to where they were at one point in their career's. That is why BB is a master, because he takes guys backed into a corner and says fight. He motivates by telling players what they used to do, and how people don't think they still can. If McGowan keeps contributing the way he has he could be up for Come Back Player of the Year. There is a lot to be said for what a group can accomplish when nobody gives them a chance.
    Posted by JustaFan5[/QUOTE]

Great post I think you covered it well. And I have to add McGowan is Rodneyesque. If he can just reel in the abandon he plays with a little he could put up some monster numbers from his position.
    I kind of like the name "The Forgotten Defense" ... has an ominous ring to it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]People are calling the Patriots Defense the "No Name Defense," but that is not really the case with this group. The defense has names, granted they are older names but Shawn Springs is a former 1st-Round Draft pick, and has been paid handsomely throughout his career. Leigh Bodden is a guy many considered to be Pro Bowl caliber two seasons ago in Cleveland, being called the best corner that the then, Chad Johnson had faced. He went to Detroit and was on a team the went 0-16. Meriweather is a player that people saw as extremely talented, but concerns about his tackling and toughness lead to some doubt, but it was he was still expected to contribute at some point. McGowan's story was injuries. When he wasn't hurt he contributed in every game that he played including 07-08 recording serious stats, and developing a reputation as a hitter. Tully Banta-Cain was a memeber of either 1 or 2 Super Bowl teams, and a guy that developed some serious pass rushing skills and had the ability to support the run. He had a big payday to head home to Northern California with the 49ers, and things did not work out for him there. Guyton produced last year as a rookie, and has produced as a replacement for Mayo. Guys like Green, and Wright have not had the opportunities to make consistant contributions because of depth but have proven that they can produce when called on, and that confidence lead to the Seymour trade. Burgess can and will start to produce, he just needs to shake the bad dream he had which was his entire experience in Oakland. My point is that this defense has names, and great names at that, but the NFL is what have you done for me lately, it is all about production and status. These guys hit rough patches, but they can play, and have been playing well. They are, "The Forgotten," a group of supposed has beens, or never weres, that just needed a chance to get back to where they were at one point in their career's. That is why BB is a master, because he takes guys backed into a corner and says fight. He motivates by telling players what they used to do, and how people don't think they still can. If McGowan keeps contributing the way he has he could be up for Come Back Player of the Year. There is a lot to be said for what a group can accomplish when nobody gives them a chance.

http://profootballweekly.com/2009/09/29/belichick-adapting-scheme-to-personnel

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like the 'Minutemen defense'. 

Young, fast, Patriots, they were just civilians who didn't have the ranks or esteemed names of the commanding officers, Mass natives, and the Minutemen were also defenders. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfanofthenorthredeux. Show Patsfanofthenorthredeux's posts

JustaFan5,

Somebody needs to hire you.

Nice stuff.

I've always liked Jarvis Green and Mike Wright.  People compare them (unfavorabley) to 93 Seymore but King Richard was Richard. These two guys have their own talents - speed, toughness, and the ability to remain on the Pats D. (Remember, Mike Wright used to be the lead guy and wedge buster on special teams, at 6'5" and 295 (and BB is trying to fatten him up . . . ) Wright is fast !!! 
        And we all know that Jarvis Green would have started on most teams.

They may be the "Forgotten" D but they have a name, The New England Patirots Defense.  The Pats play as a team. They are an organism, genetically engineered by the Defensive Mastermind of the Century. Right ? . . .

SPEED KILLS !!!

Pretty Ponies beware . . .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

WRITING

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Very well written but if you think the Pats D is sneaking up on people you're mistaken.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I vote for: The Minutemen

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustaFan5. Show JustaFan5's posts

I really like the Minuteman Defense. I think that the defense is starting to get its' due throughout the league, and I think it boils down to the fact that most of these guys, were down, and some considered them out. They are motivated by revenge, disrespect, and their competitive nature that has to be in all pro athletes. I think that many of these guys like Meriweather, Bodden, McGowan, and Cain will be household names three weeks from now. People will start accessing the performance of the team, and in particular the new additions during the bye week calling it the Mid-Season Report Card. The grades will tell the story, and I think McGowan and Meriweather, "The Killer B's," will lead the way with A's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I prefer the nametag defense.  BB cashiered the entire backfield, Vrabel, Bruschi and Seymour.  As long as Bodden and McGowan wear nametags, Myron Pryor doesn't have to ask them to turn around so he can read their names.  "Hey you" isn't good enough when there are so many unknown players.