"The Killer B's"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustaFan5. Show JustaFan5's posts

"The Killer B's"

The new name of our safety tandem, Brandon's Meriweather and McGowan. Is there really any doubt that McGowan has taken Sanders position as the starting safety? And does Wheatley ever see the field again with the way Butler played the other day?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DYBLITZ. Show DYBLITZ's posts

Re: "The Killer B's"

Butler has been very good in coverage!! He will see more playing time for sure!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

We've seen more passes broken up in four games that we did all of last year. Sweet!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

In Response to Re: "The Killer B's":
    [QUOTE]We've seen more passes broken up in four games that we did all of last year. Sweet!
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

I agree.  My confidence in this group of DB's is growing game to game.  I see more passes deflected and much better coverage so far.     

Bodden looks like he can cover AND tackle, and not every CB can say that. Butler looks like a potentially great cover guy. Springs is a guy that will match up with the bigger WR's. Wheatly and Wilhite?  I like both better than Hobbs or O'Neal.  Jury is still out there.  McGowan looks like he can cover TE's and provide run support.  Meriweather looks like he's taken the next step and has shown both coverage skills and the ability to thump the receiver and give him something to think about when running his route.  Sanders is reliable, and if Chung emerges, even better.  This group is a dramatic improvement over last year.      

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espnetboy3. Show Espnetboy3's posts

Meriweather is a stud. i said that when he was drafted, he is finally coming into his own. Taking every snap on D and being all over the field.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In Response to "The Killer B's":
    [QUOTE]The new name of our safety tandem, Brandon's Meriweather and McGowan. Is there really any doubt that McGowan has taken Sanders position as the starting safety? And does Wheatley ever see the field again with the way Butler played the other day?
    Posted by JustaFan5[/QUOTE]

Wheatley played very well against the Falcons in place of Wilhite.

Wheatley has battled wrist and knee injuries throughout camp and everyone writes him off.

The only reason Wheatley doesn't dress is due to the numbers game. That speaks volumes about the state of the Pats secondary. It could very well be the deepest unit in the NFL.

BTW, Whilite didn't exactly shine against the Ravens. If he's not careful, Wheatley could overtake him for the last spot, especially if Butler continues to play as well as he did against Baltimore.

EDIT: For the record, I like Wilhite, and with Springs and Bodden signed to 1-year deals, I'm feeling good about their possible replacements.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxrick2000. Show redsoxrick2000's posts

How about "The Brandon Boys" or the M&M"s.  But whatever you want to call them they are playing well, especially Merriweather.  His speed saved a sure touchdown on that play in the end zone Sunday when Sanders was caught out of position. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Thank goodness Sanders is off the field.

McGowan is a much better athlete and football player.

Did you see the touchdown the Merryweather broke up? He had to run around Sanders to do it.

The less we see of Sanders, the better off we are.

Speaking of which, what the he!! happened to Chung? The kid hasn't sniffed the field.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I saw the replay of the Ravens game and Meriweather was incredible. Remember, not long ago, when we were ragging on him because he could cover but not hit anybody? I'd say that he's addressed that issue!

The secondary, as a whole, really seems to have some chemistry. Keep up the good work, boys!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I don't think Sanders is playing bad. He's always been quietly good, and I don't see him playing at a lower level this year. But I do think Meriweather and McGowan are playing at such a high level that they are getting the majority of the playing time. Chung is 4th on the depth chart, and I'm sure he's progressing fine. But with Sanders and especially Meriweather and McGowan in front of him, he's not likely to see much action unless there are injuries.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like the 'Brand name safeties', but whatever, I say we just call them great. I honestly think McGowan made Clayton drop that pass on sunday. He saw him break off his man and tried to evade the tackle only to end up ball less. I prefer McGowan over James at this point. McGowan looks stronger, faster, and quicker. With Mayo back our LB corp will only get better, I know he wants to punch Sanchez in his balls. 

Loved the plays that Pees called. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

For all the hype of Merriweather this season, he had some big missed tackles in the Broncos game.  First play of the Broncos game ... runs into RB at the line of scrimmage, can't bring him down, play goes for more than 10 yards.  Overtime, Broncos at the 38, Merriweather runs into RB at the line of scrimmage, RB runs through him to get inside the 30, setting up a manageable field goal.

My only point is, Mayo isn't invincible.  Neither is any other player in the NFL.  I don't see the need for us to hype certain players and try to manufacture stars.  We've got 53 great players.  Let's support them all.