Ouch !! Is this hit going to draw a fine?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Ouch !! Is this hit going to draw a fine?

Terence Garvin is a rookie with the Pittsburgh Steelers. His salary is the rookie minimum of $405,000 a year, a little less than $24,000 per week over the 17-week regular season.

Garvin was fined $25,000, more than one of his game checks, for his block on Cincinnati punter Kevin Huber, which broke his jaw and cracked a vertabrae.

Garvin thought he was just blocking a player looking to make a tackle on a long punt return – which the Steelers scored on by the way. But punters and kickers are ruled defenseless through a play, even if they're trying to make a tackle. Garvin used his helmet to hit Huber above the shoulders, and that's illegal on a defenseless player.

And is he ever going to pay for it.

Steelers Depot points out that the collective-bargaining agreement allows a player to appeal if the fine is excessive compared to the player's earnings. A fine may be reduced if it is at least 25 percent of a player's weekly salary for a first offense and 50 percent for a second offense. Garvin should win that appeal and should get the fine reduced.

But it's still going to end up being a large amount for something that intuitively doesn't seem that egregious. Huber's injuries are awful, but that's going to happen in a violent sport sometimes. Huber appeared in the Bengals locker room on Wednesday in a huge neck brace, a reminder of how rough the NFL can be.

Kevin Huber in the locker room pic.twitter.com/nGIgBS2AnZ

— Joe Reedy (@joereedy) December 18, 2013

But Huber, even if he didn't totally absolve Garvin, didn't take the chance to rip him on Wednesday.

"There’s not really much I can do about it now," Huber said, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Me getting mad and stressed about it is only going to make it harder to get through. It is what it is. It’s part of the game, I know, big hits. Unfortunately I got one of the big hits and I got hurt and I have to deal with it. I’ll be fine. I’ll be back next year."

Garvin just seemed confused by what he did wrong, when he talked to Pittsburgh media on Wednesday.

“I saw a color and I saw AB (Steelers returner Antonio Brown) coming towards me," Garvin said, according to the Enquirer. "I said I have to try to help him break on this play. I was just trying to do what I could to help him break the play. They’re (punters) part of the team, they’re on the field, they can make plays the same way everybody else can make plays.”

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

"I saw a color and I saw AB (Steelers returner Antonio Brown) coming towards me," Garvin said, according to the Enquirer. "I said I have to try to help him break on this play. I was just trying to do what I could to help him break the play. They’re (punters) part of the team, they’re on the field, they can make plays the same way everybody else can make plays.

Well, well, he "saw a color"? That makes this a hate crime. The man's clearly a racist. Where's Al Sharpton?

Or perhaps a puntist. "They're this and they're that..." As if punters are inferior.

Either way, he has hate in his heart. Worse than Incognito. And he comes right out and admits it! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

That was no clean hit. If you are blocking out a player on a return you don't tuck your arms in before a hit. You lead with your arms and stear them away from the play. That's ST's 101 Also notice he droped his shoulders an wasn't leading with them for the hit. Finally notice he lined him up, dropped his helmet, and finally delivered the blow thrusting upward with the crown of the helmet under the mask. This was in no way a clean hit and was very dirty nor was it a football play. That was an A typical I'll get on ESPN for this hit that people celebrate but in no way is taught

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123six. Show 123six's posts

Fine...I see part launch and part helmet to helmet (chin)...really knocked the snot out of him!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

It reminded me of Cooke's hit on Savard. I saw as another cheap shot to the head of a guy looking away. To those who liked the hit, how would you like it if your kid or somebody like Tom Brady was paralyzed for life by a hit like that?

Actually, the closest parallel I can think of is the dirty hit Meriweather laid on a tight end who was coming down from attempting to make a catch, a couple years back.  That Meriweather hit was when I finally turned on him, and never wanted to see him in a Pats uniform again; very few hometown players ever make me feel that way.  The last one was probably Carl Everett.

In both cases, the hitting player gathered himself and launched helmet-first up and into the chin of the victim.  There was no need for the violence of that shot; this was no "heat of the moment" type play.  Garvin saw a little guy in the middle of the return, gathered himself, and got set to blow him UP.  He intended to injure; if he only wanted to block, there was no need for the explosion up into Huber's chin.

Huber should have been more aware of his surroundings, but that doesn't excuse the hit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey trots- the badminton is looking for another guy. Send your kid. looks like a good clean football hit to me and more importantly, the refs, who never threw the flag.

All of the sudden everybody is a ref?

Bunch of softies. If the game is too violent...take up watching golf on Sundays.

[/QUOTE]

Hey moron, the NFL just fined Garvin $25,000 for the hit. Still think it was a clean hit?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

[QUOTE]

It reminded me of Cooke's hit on Savard. I saw as another cheap shot to the head of a guy looking away. To those who liked the hit, how would you like it if your kid or somebody like Tom Brady was paralyzed for life by a hit like that?

Actually, the closest parallel I can think of is the dirty hit Meriweather laid on a tight end who was coming down from attempting to make a catch, a couple years back.  That Meriweather hit was when I finally turned on him, and never wanted to see him in a Pats uniform again; very few hometown players ever make me feel that way.  The last one was probably Carl Everett.

In both cases, the hitting player gathered himself and launched helmet-first up and into the chin of the victim.  There was no need for the violence of that shot; this was no "heat of the moment" type play.  Garvin saw a little guy in the middle of the return, gathered himself, and got set to blow him UP.  He intended to injure; if he only wanted to block, there was no need for the explosion up into Huber's chin.

Huber should have been more aware of his surroundings, but that doesn't excuse the hit.

[/QUOTE]

I remember when Darryl Stingley wound up paraalyzed for life from a cheap shot by Jack Tatum. That was back in 1978 in a preseason game with Oakland. There were numbskulls back then like HeygangHL who celebrated Tatum's dirty hit by dubbing him "The Assassin". Stingley, a devoted Patriot and wonderful man, died too young at the age of 56.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

My interpetation is he hit him with his shoulder pad first. Any incidental contact after the original hit is ancillary at best. There will be a fine, but that was about as clean a hit as I've seen all season! From what I've have already read 25K is what he was fined. I'd definately appeal that terrible decision.

For those of you who think it was a dirty hit with intent too injure,I disagree. He was only blocking a guy coming in to make a tackle on his teammate, and though Huber is a punter he should have stayed away form the play if he felt he could be injured and you can't have it both ways, the punter being able to tackle but nobody is allowed to block him, that's BS!!! You go to make a tackle, expect to be blocked.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My interpetation is he hit him with his shoulder pad first. Any incidental contact after the original hit is ancillary at best. There will be a fine, but that was about as clean a hit as I've seen all season! From waht I've have already read 25K is what he was fined. I'd definately appeal that terrible decision.

[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? Watch it again and then tell me that Garvin doesn't launch himself, helmut first, into Huber's head. Huber, who is watching the punt returner, was totally blind-sided and was lucky his neck wasn't snapped.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I feel bad saying this, but I miss the old times when players would routinely have kill shots on each other.  Players catching balls over the middle knew that they would pay the price.  Players like Ronnie Lott, Rodney Harrison, John Lynch etc.  I miss seeing huge hits like this all the time... it is unfortunate that the dude got so hurt, but I miss seeing sick hits in football all the time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I feel bad saying this, but I miss the old times when players would routinely have kill shots on each other.  Players catching balls over the middle knew that they would pay the price.  Players like Ronnie Lott, Rodney Harrison, John Lynch etc.  I miss seeing huge hits like this all the time... it is unfortunate that the dude got so hurt, but I miss seeing sick hits in football all the time. 

[/QUOTE]

Things change. NFL retirees wind up with dementia and other injury related degenerative diseases at an early age. Some, like Junior, even commit suicide. Stating that you miss "kill shots" suggests a blood-thirstiness somewhat akin to what the Romans must have felt about the Christians receiving a "kill shot". Did it just light you up when Stingley got paralyzed for life? Hard, clean hits are certainly integral to the game but cheap shot artists need to be weeded out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

And Tatum took Stingley (RIP) out in a pre-season game.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the toughness of old time football is overrated...the collisions today are much more violent because the players are much bigger faster and stronger...and I always thought the dbs who lined guys up weren't that tough at all. The receiver is looking away at the ball and is sometimes in midair...he couldn't be more vulnerable. It didn't take b*lls or toughness to plow a receiver most of the time

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I remember when Darryl Stingley wound up paraalyzed for life from a cheap shot by Jack Tatum. That was back in 1978 in a preseason game with Oakland. There were numbskulls back then like HeygangHL who celebrated Tatum's dirty hit by dubbing him "The Assassin". Stingley, a devoted Patriot and wonderful man, died too young at the age of 56.

[/QUOTE]

Tatum was a thug