#1 Defense NE Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

#1 Defense NE Patriots

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, health provided, this defense could finish the season as the top ranked defense in the NFL.

Major factors; Adrian Wilson, Tommy Kelly, Talib, Armond Armstead, Collins and a couple others draftees who will make the squad, as well as the jump made by the second year players.  

We will jump from 15th in sacks, where we've ranked for a while up into the top 3 thanks to additions at DT.  

Linebacker has never been this deep and the defensive backfield has always intercepted the ball regardless how "bad" this defense was perceived to be.

High expectations? Yeah, but history is on our side.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: #1 Defense NE Patriots

In response to wozzy's comment:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, health provided, this defense could finish the season as the top ranked defense in the NFL.

Major factors; Adrian Wilson, Tommy Kelly, Talib, Armond Armstead, Collins and a couple others draftees who will make the squad, as well as the jump made by the second year players.  

We will jump from 15th in sacks, where we've ranked for a while up into the top 3 thanks to additions at DT.  

Linebacker has never been this deep and the defensive backfield has always intercepted the ball regardless how "bad" this defense was perceived to be.

I like the way you think, Wozzy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Exactly what history is on our side?

I'm all for optimism with regards to the defense, and I too expect the defense to be much improved; likely top-10, if not top-5. 

That said, I struggle to see where history dictates that our defense will be the top defense in the NFL this upcoming season. 

Let's go Pats!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm not sure about #1yet, but I think it will be much improved. I am still worried about CB with the Dennard issues and Talib's injury history. However, I think the pass rush will be much better which should help whoever is back there. I think A. Wilson's presence will be huge assuming he hasn't lost that big of a step. Jones and Hightower should be that much better as well. I think top ten is a good possibility.

Come on if you think you can take us on
    You and whose army?
    You and your cronies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Wow, wozzy - now that is what I call optimism!  I will say that I do expect the D to be much improved but best in NFL? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Love the optimism Wozzy. I wouldn't recommend putting a bet on that in Vegas (top 10 yeah, top 5 maybe) but I love the optimism

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This defense is made up of top draft picks and has less holes then it has since the start of the rebuild. Barring major injury my only concern would be D-line depth as Armstead isn't practicing and Kelly and VW are older. Other then that the LB core has 5 guys who can play starting football assuming Collins is ready for the NFL. The secondary is as deep as I can remember, and A Wilson with Talib, Dennard, Kyle, and DMC will make plays all year. Good young depth behind them as well. Oh btw Chandle Jones was standing in practice. OLB???? Just an observation. But then again he looked 10 pounds bigger them last year.  I agree Wozzy, this defense has no where to go but up. A realistic guess imo.   

"Defense Wins Championships"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Oh, I think the defense will be much improved.  I think it will be a very good defense as long as no major injuries.  But # 1, Really?  I hope so, that would be excellent but I don't see #1.  I would be very happy with top 5.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

# 1 we can hope!!!

Based on what I can see and what we know.

The secondary will be much improved. Talib with a full pre-season to prepare in this system and Dennard hopefully progressing from a solid rookie year. McCourty getting all the reps at safety with the addition of A Wilson we are loking at a much improved unit.

The pass rush will hopefully get better with a Healthy Jones and the addition of kelly taking up blockers on the inside and Collins being used a a situational pass rusher on the outside to complement jones.

Looking forward to seeing hightower make a big leap in his 2nd year.

Overall they were top 10 points allowed/Rush D and i believe TO's last year. I can see this D being at least top 10 overall perhaps better.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Depends on the scale used. 

If we're counting interceptions, last year the Patriots picked off 20 of them.  BB loves 99 yard pick-6 plays because after the touchdown and touchback on the ensuing kickoff the opponent gets the ball back on their own 20, as opposed to first and goal a minute ago.  It's not just demoralizing to the other team, it's roughly a 12 point swing if you count the field position.  So, I could easily see the Pats going for #1 in interceptions this year, especially concerning those long runbacks from their own 20 yard line to the end zone.

BB only cares about field position as it relates to improving the odds of his winning the game.  He historically gives up a lot of relatively meaningless yardage, especially at the end of the game when his team is up 21 points or so, and at the same time he wins a lot of games.  For this reason, I will probably never see the Patriots as #1 in defensive yardage given up.  BB also hates sack counts.  He likes knockdowns and hurries, especially against the Sanchize who is a comedic genius when pressured.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I look at it as there are a lot of unknows and if the personnel questions are answered then this D could be better.  The questions?

1.  Will Hightower and Jones take s big step forward?  If not, will Bequette, Cunningham, or any of the other vets "get it" and finally bring some consistency to the table?  

2.  Will Dennard be here, will Dowling shake the injury bug?

3.  Will either of the Wilsons seize the S position with authority?

4.  What does T. Kelley have left?  If there enough DL depth? 

5.  Will Spikes have a huge contract year, or is Collins going to be phased in?

6.  Are any of the other rooks gonna be ready game 1 to make a contribution? 

My take is that there is some talent on that defense, but there are also a lot of new faces that need to take a big leap and be solid, consistent players for this team to take a step forward.  I am cautiously optimistic, but that's it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

they don't have to be the best.

I'd settle for top 5 in points againts, top 5 in red zone defense, top 5 in takeaway/giveaway ration, 5-10 in rush defense, 10-15 in pass defense.

But the patriots for the past 2-3 seasons haven't been close. Improved last year yes. Improvement for this year? Hope so.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

If we're counting interceptions, last year the Patriots picked off 20 of them.  BB loves 99 yard pick-6 plays because after the touchdown and touchback on the ensuing kickoff the opponent gets the ball back on their own 20, as opposed to first and goal a minute ago.  It's not just demoralizing to the other team, it's roughly a 12 point swing if you count the field position.  So, I could easily see the Pats going for #1 in interceptions this year, especially concerning those long runbacks from their own 20 yard line to the end zone.

BB only cares about field position as it relates to improving the odds of his winning the game.  He historically gives up a lot of relatively meaningless yardage, especially at the end of the game when his team is up 21 points or so, and at the same time he wins a lot of games.  For this reason, I will probably never see the Patriots as #1 in defensive yardage given up.  BB also hates sack counts.  He likes knockdowns and hurries, especially against the Sanchize who is a comedic genius when pressured.

Good Post. Need to post some more like you used to Paul K. Not enough posters like you in here nowadays. U are one of the guys that knows football and just talks football. Breathe of fresh air!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

If they can keep the starting corners healthy I think they are going to have an excellent defense this year. I think it will be the best d we have had on the field in a long time. You could see it last year but they were missing too many parts due to injuries. I think top 10 isn't out of the question. It would be great if Wozzy is right. I'm hoping he is. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Interesting viewpoint. What are the best benchmarks, then, to measure the effectiveness of BB's defensive strategy, if we buy into this notion? Other than point differential?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Agree and the best defense is a good offense that takes time off the clock and lets the defense rest on the bench.  I think the Pats will run more this year and Bolten will be a stud .  . . he certainly looked good in the camp last week.  I was very impressed with Winn but cannot see how he makes the club with Ridley, Vereen, Bolten, Washington ahead of him and I'm not sure they can carry 5 backs (if they do, one will NOT be Tebow).  Hope Winn clears wavers and gets to the practice squad as this kid is going to make it in the NFL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I think they are more like #2.   Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Way too early to tell..let's wait for a few pre-season games to see where we're at with possible suspensions and inevitable injuries.......but all things being equal I'd say they are slated to much improved in comparison to the last couple of years...if the pass rush improves we could be special...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

Interesting viewpoint. What are the best benchmarks, then, to measure the effectiveness of BB's defensive strategy, if we buy into this notion? Other than point differential?

Points are always #1 in terms of importance (ppg), turnover differential, goal line and 3rd down % help a lot.

Yards be damned, if they lead the league in all the above categories, who cares how many yards they gave up...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Bill Belichick's defenses have historically been great, if the rebuild is over than it's time to see the finished product.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If they can manage to get off the damned field I'll be much happier with them. The TOP they have allowed has been nauseating.

But I think they were definitely improved last season with Talib at CB with Dennard and McCourty moved to S. So if they stay healthy it might not be the abomination it has been in recent years.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff6/babeparilli/gif_193x113_39ce6f_zps83b8ca29.gif?t=1373985234

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

[QUOTE]

Bill Belichick's defenses have historically been great, if the rebuild is over than it's time to see the finished product.

[/QUOTE]

They were great when he had some outstanding players that he didn't bring in.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

His Browns defense was the best in the league by his third season as coach, his Giant's defense has a section in the Hall Of Fame, go check it out, his Patriot's defense as a coordinator got them to the Super Bowl when Parcells alone couldn't get the team over 500%, his defense as head coach of the Pats was the same one Pete Carroll inherited with nothing to show for it.  

Of course BB the GM did draft Richard Seymour, maybe the preeminent defensive tackle of his generation to start as a rookie on a championship caliber defense but then what does Belichick know, he is a terrible GM right...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

His Browns defense was the best in the league by his third season as coach, his Giant's defense has a section in the Hall Of Fame, go check it out, his Patriot's defense as a coordinator got them to the Super Bowl when Parcells alone couldn't get the team over 500%, his defense as head coach of the Pats was the same one Pete Carroll inherited with nothing to show for it.  

Of course BB the GM did draft Richard Seymour, maybe the preeminent defensive tackle of his generation to start as a rookie on a championship caliber defense but then what does Belichick know, he is a terrible GM right...

BB/Pioli did get a winner in Seymour through his rookie contract (then he kicked back once he got the $$$).

His 5-11 season after taking over Carroll's team (which hadn't had a losing season in3 years) got him that top 6 draft pick.