10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattym. Show mattym's posts

1.        Instead of peaking from the jump-off, Brady will peak late season and into the playoffs.

At the halfway point of the 2007 season Brady had thrown for 30 touchdowns, a 75.3% completion rate, an average of 303 ypg and a QB rating of 131.8.  The second half slumped comparatively, although it was of a very high caliber when stacked against the rest of the league’s QBs.  Brady will receive very little work during the preseason and instead will focus on ramping up during the year.  Although this will cause some bumps in the road, the end game of peaking at the correct time will be well worth it. 

2.       Kevin Faulk has kicked the bucket.

Last year, I viewed a preseason practice at Gillette and thought Kevin Faulk looked slow.  Turns out he proved me wrong and then some, by catching the most passes and having the third most carries of his career.  This year the wear and tear adds up to tear him down.  Do you realize that in his career Kevin Faulk has a comparable amount of “touches” to Brian Westbrook of the Eagles?  Westbrook has had 3 less seasons but a quick look at 2008 for Westbrook shows all of his stats in decline:  yards per carry and yards per reception jump off the page for their declines.  2008 was the year Westbrook broke the 1500 touch mark – what about Faulk?  He should hit that mark about week 6.  Hopefully between Faulk and Fred Taylor – the 3rd down back role will be adequately filled.

3.       Kevin O’Connell is really f*cking good, but let’s hope we don’t have to find out.

I read somewhere recently where an analyst likened the Patriots at the QB position to the Denver Broncos at Running Back.  I am not ready to go that far (Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Olandis Gary, et al), but I will say last year the GENIUS did not bring a ‘proven’ back-up in when Cassel looked like absolute doodoo during the preseason.  Though the Patriots have sniffed around some veteran QBs – I do not expect them to sign anyone that sticks.  Now god forbid if we have a Bernie Pollard redux, I think, even though it is early in his career, O’Connell is ready.  A cannon arm, great wheels and learning leadership from Brady is a nice package.  Don’t be worried if the unthinkable happens again – they’ll be more than competitive just like in 2008.

4.       Rookie Rich Ohrnberger starts at right guard, Stephen Neal gets cut

One of the rooks is going to see significant PT, and the guess here is the Penn State product wins the battle.  Neal is in the final year of his contract, is turning 33 in October and would save over 2 mil on the books.  This is a crapshoot with the bevy of beauties the Pat’s have along the o-line – but something will move and I am not sure Kaczur (as many are predicting) is the guy.

5.       Brandon Meriweather and Patrick Chung are going to be very, very good for a very, very long time.

You can’t teach speed.  These two guys have it in spades.  Both love to hit, they love to knock helmets off.  What’s the best substitute for not having Ed Reed on the Patriot’s roster?  How about having two Ed Reeds?  That is what Chung and Meriweather will be considered in less than three seasons.  Chung starts almost immediately and becomes a fan favorite.  Chung is a psycho, watch for his pushups on the sidelines while waiting for the offense to do their job.  Sometimes you just know about a rookie player, you read things in training camp about the hits he is making or how he is working with the starters from day one or how he impressed the veterans with his work ethic and maturity.  Chung is that guy.  Do you remember how the Pats had to give up a first rounder to get the GENIUS?  At the time I thought Kraft made a colossal mistake.  Someday we will all look back at an aged Mike Vrabel and a system quarterback like Matt Cassel for an unproven commodity like Patrick Chung and smile.

1. Charlie Weis is fired by Notre Dame before Halloween and ends up an Offensive Consultant with the Patriots for the stretch run.

Just like you can’t teach speed, you also can’t teach humility.  Or if you can, Charlie missed that class at ND.  Facing Michigan, USC and BC in the first 6 games spells doom for Charlie.  But the endless search for the spotlight brings him back to New England to concoct plays for his “Tommy,” Moss, Welker and Galloway.  Offensive explosion to follow!

7.       No Junior, no Vrabel, no Rosie, NO PROBLEM…we hope.

Paris Lenon, Vince Redd, Gary Guyton and Shawn Crable.  You probably have never ever heard of these guys.   By the end of 2009 – two of these guys will be starting for the Patriots at Linebacker and right now I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.  On paper, it sounds bad, but only time will tell.

8.       Darius Butler will be a returner extraordinaire.

Butler is the rookie CB from UConn that is quite gifted athletically.  Actually, that is being polite.  He is a FREAK OF NATURE.  About 5 foot 10 and 190 lbs.  His ability to quickly change directions and jump through the gym put him near the top of the 2009 draft class at cornerback.  He played both ways at UConn as a senior and the sky is the limit for him.  I am guessing he will get zero work on offense and small looks on D.  Thus special teams, primarily the return game, are where he will shine.  I believe the ability to focus all his gifts on one part of the game will allow him to excel on both kicks and punts.

9.       An improved secondary will allow the pass rush to reemerge; specifically Adalius Thomas will be a beast. 

I think Thomas will get Vrabel’s 2007 role of being able to rush at will when up big in games.  The combination of Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Jonathan Wilhite, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Patrick Chung and Brandon Meriweather will make Seymour, Warren and Thomas all much better pass rushers.  Expect the defense to be markedly improved when compared to 2008 or even to 2007 for that matter.

10.   Moss, Welker slow down, tight ends speed up.

The stats for the two Patriot stalwarts will be down from 07 and 08.  Brady will make a concerted effort to spread the ball around as much as possible.  Watson, and newbies Alex Smith and Chris Baker will see a fair share of catches.  Defenses will still have to cover up Moss over the top and Welker underneath.  With Galloway stretching defenses deep on the opposite side, hooks and curls will be wide open underneath.  Brady will eat that up all day.  The Pats keep 4 tight ends and use them all to catch the ball.  This will be a strength for the Patriots, basically living off of the 2007 reputation of Brady to Moss.  And at a NFL single season record of 23 TD connections, justifiably so. 

53 days until Gostkowski’s first meaningful kick.  Enjoy the preseason!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: 10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009:

Neal wont be cut that is a dumb thing to say. Its teh last year of his contract and he is not getting paid much and he is the second best OG on the team next to only Logan Mankins. And Kevin Faulk has very little wear and tear on his body and will play as a long as he wants. And hoepfully he retires a Pat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I am really amazed by the amount of love that Kevin O'Connell is getting. I'd still love to see the Pats bring in a veteran quarterback like Brian Griese if only to give us some game experience just in case O'Connell isn't the second coming.

I don't get the Faulk/Westbrook comparison. Same amount of touches, yeah, but Faulk has spread them out over a longer time and not taken the same beating. Most of his touches over the last five years have been off of little dink and dunk passes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Why would he spread the ball around?  He will throw to who he trusts and who's open.  That will be Moss and Walker and the screen to Faulk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from snomanak. Show snomanak's posts

In Response to 10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009::
    [QUOTE]10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009:   1.          Instead of peaking from the jump-off, Brady will peak late season and into the playoffs. At the halfway point of the 2007 season Brady had thrown for 30 touchdowns, a 75.3% completion rate, an average of 303 ypg and a QB rating of 131.8.   The second half slumped comparatively, although it was of a very high caliber when stacked against the rest of the league’s QBs.   Brady will receive very little work during the preseason and instead will focus on ramping up during the year.   Although this will cause some bumps in the road, the end game of peaking at the correct time will be well worth it.     2.        Kevin Faulk has kicked the bucket. Last year, I viewed a preseason practice at Gillette and thought Kevin Faulk looked slow.   Turns out he proved me wrong and then some, by catching the most passes and having the third most carries of his career.   This year the wear and tear adds up to tear him down.   Do you realize that in his career Kevin Faulk has a comparable amount of “touches” to Brian Westbrook of the Eagles?   Westbrook has had 3 less seasons but a quick look at 2008 for Westbrook shows all of his stats in decline:   yards per carry and yards per reception jump off the page for their declines.   2008 was the year Westbrook broke the 1500 touch mark – what about Faulk?   He should hit that mark about week 6.   Hopefully between Faulk and Fred Taylor – the 3 rd down back role will be adequately filled.   3.        Kevin O’Connell is really f*cking good, but let’s hope we don’t have to find out. I read somewhere recently where an analyst likened the Patriots at the QB position to the Denver Broncos at Running Back.   I am not ready to go that far (Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Olandis Gary, et al), but I will say last year the GENIUS did not bring a ‘proven’ back-up in when Cassel looked like absolute doodoo during the preseason.   Though the Patriots have sniffed around some veteran QBs – I do not expect them to sign anyone that sticks.   Now god forbid if we have a Bernie Pollard redux, I think, even though it is early in his career, O’Connell is ready.   A cannon arm, great wheels and learning leadership from Brady is a nice package.   Don’t be worried if the unthinkable happens again – they’ll be more than competitive just like in 2008.       4.        Rookie Rich Ohrnberger starts at right guard, Stephen Neal gets cut One of the rooks is going to see significant PT, and the guess here is the Penn State product wins the battle.   Neal is in the final year of his contract, is turning 33 in October and would save over 2 mil on the books.   This is a crapshoot with the bevy of beauties the Pat’s have along the o-line – but something will move and I am not sure Kaczur (as many are predicting) is the guy.   5.        Brandon Meriweather and Patrick Chung are going to be very, very good for a very, very long time. You can’t teach speed.   These two guys have it in spades.   Both love to hit, they love to knock helmets off.   What’s the best substitute for not having Ed Reed on the Patriot’s roster?   How about having two Ed Reeds?   That is what Chung and Meriweather will be considered in less than three seasons.   Chung starts almost immediately and becomes a fan favorite.   Chung is a psycho, watch for his pushups on the sidelines while waiting for the offense to do their job.   Sometimes you just know about a rookie player, you read things in training camp about the hits he is making or how he is working with the starters from day one or how he impressed the veterans with his work ethic and maturity.   Chung is that guy.   Do you remember how the Pats had to give up a first rounder to get the GENIUS?   At the time I thought Kraft made a colossal mistake.   Someday we will all look back at an aged Mike Vrabel and a system quarterback like Matt Cassel for an unproven commodity like Patrick Chung and smile.   Charlie Weis is fired by Notre Dame before Halloween and ends up an Offensive Consultant with the Patriots for the stretch run. Just like you can’t teach speed, you also can’t teach humility.   Or if you can, Charlie missed that class at ND.   Facing Michigan, USC and BC in the first 6 games spells doom for Charlie.   But the endless search for the spotlight brings him back to New England to concoct plays for his “Tommy,” Moss, Welker and Galloway.   Offensive explosion to follow!   7.        No Junior, no Vrabel, no Rosie, NO PROBLEM…we hope. Paris Lenon, Vince Redd, Gary Guyton and Shawn Crable.   You probably have never ever heard of these guys.    By the end of 2009 – two of these guys will be starting for the Patriots at Linebacker and right now I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.   On paper, it sounds bad, but only time will tell.   8.        Darius Butler will be a returner extraordinaire. Butler is the rookie CB from UConn that is quite gifted athletically.   Actually, that is being polite.   He is a FREAK OF NATURE.   About 5 foot 10 and 190 lbs.   His ability to quickly change directions and jump through the gym put him near the top of the 2009 draft class at cornerback.   He played both ways at UConn as a senior and the sky is the limit for him.   I am guessing he will get zero work on offense and small looks on D.   Thus special teams, primarily the return game, are where he will shine.   I believe the ability to focus all his gifts on one part of the game will allow him to excel on both kicks and punts.   9.        An improved secondary will allow the pass rush to reemerge; specifically Adalius Thomas will be a beast.   I think Thomas will get Vrabel’s 2007 role of being able to rush at will when up big in games.   The combination of Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Jonathan Wilhite, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Patrick Chung and Brandon Meriweather will make Seymour, Warren and Thomas all much better pass rushers.   Expect the defense to be markedly improved when compared to 2008 or even to 2007 for that matter.     10.    Moss, Welker slow down, tight ends speed up. The stats for the two Patriot stalwarts will be down from 07 and 08.   Brady will make a concerted effort to spread the ball around as much as possible.   Watson, and newbies Alex Smith and Chris Baker will see a fair share of catches.   Defenses will still have to cover up Moss over the top and Welker underneath.   With Galloway stretching defenses deep on the opposite side, hooks and curls will be wide open underneath.   Brady will eat that up all day.   The Pats keep 4 tight ends and use them all to catch the ball.   This will be a strength for the Patriots, basically living off of the 2007 reputation of Brady to Moss.   And at a NFL single season record of 23 TD connections, justifiably so.     53 days until Gostkowski’s first meaningful kick.   Enjoy the preseason!
    Posted by mattym[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snomanak. Show snomanak's posts

In Response to 10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009::
    [QUOTE]10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009:   1.          Instead of peaking from the jump-off, Brady will peak late season and into the playoffs. At the halfway point of the 2007 season Brady had thrown for 30 touchdowns, a 75.3% completion rate, an average of 303 ypg and a QB rating of 131.8.   The second half slumped comparatively, although it was of a very high caliber when stacked against the rest of the league’s QBs.   Brady will receive very little work during the preseason and instead will focus on ramping up during the year.   Although this will cause some bumps in the road, the end game of peaking at the correct time will be well worth it.     2.        Kevin Faulk has kicked the bucket. Last year, I viewed a preseason practice at Gillette and thought Kevin Faulk looked slow.   Turns out he proved me wrong and then some, by catching the most passes and having the third most carries of his career.   This year the wear and tear adds up to tear him down.   Do you realize that in his career Kevin Faulk has a comparable amount of “touches” to Brian Westbrook of the Eagles?   Westbrook has had 3 less seasons but a quick look at 2008 for Westbrook shows all of his stats in decline:   yards per carry and yards per reception jump off the page for their declines.   2008 was the year Westbrook broke the 1500 touch mark – what about Faulk?   He should hit that mark about week 6.   Hopefully between Faulk and Fred Taylor – the 3 rd down back role will be adequately filled.   3.        Kevin O’Connell is really f*cking good, but let’s hope we don’t have to find out. I read somewhere recently where an analyst likened the Patriots at the QB position to the Denver Broncos at Running Back.   I am not ready to go that far (Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Olandis Gary, et al), but I will say last year the GENIUS did not bring a ‘proven’ back-up in when Cassel looked like absolute doodoo during the preseason.   Though the Patriots have sniffed around some veteran QBs – I do not expect them to sign anyone that sticks.   Now god forbid if we have a Bernie Pollard redux, I think, even though it is early in his career, O’Connell is ready.   A cannon arm, great wheels and learning leadership from Brady is a nice package.   Don’t be worried if the unthinkable happens again – they’ll be more than competitive just like in 2008.       4.        Rookie Rich Ohrnberger starts at right guard, Stephen Neal gets cut One of the rooks is going to see significant PT, and the guess here is the Penn State product wins the battle.   Neal is in the final year of his contract, is turning 33 in October and would save over 2 mil on the books.   This is a crapshoot with the bevy of beauties the Pat’s have along the o-line – but something will move and I am not sure Kaczur (as many are predicting) is the guy.   5.        Brandon Meriweather and Patrick Chung are going to be very, very good for a very, very long time. You can’t teach speed.   These two guys have it in spades.   Both love to hit, they love to knock helmets off.   What’s the best substitute for not having Ed Reed on the Patriot’s roster?   How about having two Ed Reeds?   That is what Chung and Meriweather will be considered in less than three seasons.   Chung starts almost immediately and becomes a fan favorite.   Chung is a psycho, watch for his pushups on the sidelines while waiting for the offense to do their job.   Sometimes you just know about a rookie player, you read things in training camp about the hits he is making or how he is working with the starters from day one or how he impressed the veterans with his work ethic and maturity.   Chung is that guy.   Do you remember how the Pats had to give up a first rounder to get the GENIUS?   At the time I thought Kraft made a colossal mistake.   Someday we will all look back at an aged Mike Vrabel and a system quarterback like Matt Cassel for an unproven commodity like Patrick Chung and smile.   Charlie Weis is fired by Notre Dame before Halloween and ends up an Offensive Consultant with the Patriots for the stretch run. Just like you can’t teach speed, you also can’t teach humility.   Or if you can, Charlie missed that class at ND.   Facing Michigan, USC and BC in the first 6 games spells doom for Charlie.   But the endless search for the spotlight brings him back to New England to concoct plays for his “Tommy,” Moss, Welker and Galloway.   Offensive explosion to follow!   7.        No Junior, no Vrabel, no Rosie, NO PROBLEM…we hope. Paris Lenon, Vince Redd, Gary Guyton and Shawn Crable.   You probably have never ever heard of these guys.    By the end of 2009 – two of these guys will be starting for the Patriots at Linebacker and right now I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.   On paper, it sounds bad, but only time will tell.   8.        Darius Butler will be a returner extraordinaire. Butler is the rookie CB from UConn that is quite gifted athletically.   Actually, that is being polite.   He is a FREAK OF NATURE.   About 5 foot 10 and 190 lbs.   His ability to quickly change directions and jump through the gym put him near the top of the 2009 draft class at cornerback.   He played both ways at UConn as a senior and the sky is the limit for him.   I am guessing he will get zero work on offense and small looks on D.   Thus special teams, primarily the return game, are where he will shine.   I believe the ability to focus all his gifts on one part of the game will allow him to excel on both kicks and punts.   9.        An improved secondary will allow the pass rush to reemerge; specifically Adalius Thomas will be a beast.   I think Thomas will get Vrabel’s 2007 role of being able to rush at will when up big in games.   The combination of Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Jonathan Wilhite, Terrence Wheatley, Darius Butler, Patrick Chung and Brandon Meriweather will make Seymour, Warren and Thomas all much better pass rushers.   Expect the defense to be markedly improved when compared to 2008 or even to 2007 for that matter.     10.    Moss, Welker slow down, tight ends speed up. The stats for the two Patriot stalwarts will be down from 07 and 08.   Brady will make a concerted effort to spread the ball around as much as possible.   Watson, and newbies Alex Smith and Chris Baker will see a fair share of catches.   Defenses will still have to cover up Moss over the top and Welker underneath.   With Galloway stretching defenses deep on the opposite side, hooks and curls will be wide open underneath.   Brady will eat that up all day.   The Pats keep 4 tight ends and use them all to catch the ball.   This will be a strength for the Patriots, basically living off of the 2007 reputation of Brady to Moss.   And at a NFL single season record of 23 TD connections, justifiably so.     53 days until Gostkowski’s first meaningful kick.   Enjoy the preseason!
    Posted by mattym[/QUOTE]

Did I miss it or did Jerod Mayo not get mentioned?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snomanak. Show snomanak's posts

Did I miss it, or did Jerod Mayo not get mentioned?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't own a crystal ball,Damn! If ever there was an unpredictable Head Coach BB definately was him.I like the SeaBass to steal the RT job off the top,the Patriots will carry 4 TE's,Darius Butler might actually get some reps in at the WR position as the defensive backfield is kind of crowded.Brady will come out firing on all cylinders!! The words Brady to Moss Touchdown will resonate thoughout the league let alone Foxboro!Pre season begins Sunday as the Rookies shall assemble at Bryant College.They do still use Bryant college as their Camp facility don't they?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i sure hope that weis is back to NE before the playoffs, but i doubt that notre dame will cut him midway through the season.  I think BB will keep at least 3 TE using one as a H-back.  I think BB will bring in another OLB before training camp (perhaps derrick Burgess). Neal will not be cut but i do believe that vollmer/Rich Ohrnberger will get more playing time down the stretch.  Lets see who shines at training camp before we declare rookie gods. go pats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Here is an idea, lets see who makes the team before we get ahead of ourselves.

Number 4 is absolutely off base.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1961pats. Show 1961pats's posts

faulk should be fine, he doesn't take the beating westbrook does. the secondary should be much better. man i can't wait for that opening kickoff

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Two Ed Reeds??!!
    They'll have to start issuing licenses for optimism.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tobes18. Show Tobes18's posts

Here's what I say...

1. Brady will be fine. Is he going to be jittery through the first couple games? Probably. But the offensive weapons he has will allow him to put up normal Brady numbers. He's probably not going to put up 30 TD's in the first half but what he did in 2007 was amazing. It won't take long for Brady to catch on, barring (God forbid) another injury.

2. A little confused as to what you are saying about Faulk. Touches and Production are completely different. Westbrook's production has been far greater than Faulks. However, Faulk plays in a limited roll. He is not really asked to run the ball. Instead, he is the versatile back that is more dangerous outside of the backfield. But his stats will take a hit this year. Maroney, as long as he's healthy, will get a second (maybe third) chance to start. Taylor will be key and what I think was a great aquisition. And dont forget about Sammy. He'll get touches and can fill in for injuries.

3. Still confused on the hype of O' Connell. I have always looked at Brady's situation a lot like Peyton Manning's. They always have a fill in QB that fills a roster spot barring an injury. Manning had Sorgi, Brady had Cassel and now O' Connell. He's undersized but has decent speed and a good arm which is why the Pats drafted him but he is no more than a back QB.

4. To me, this makes the least amount of sense. Neal has been and is the perfect fit for the Pats. Versatility. A former wrestler, Neal knows how to stay on his feet and can move around the OL. Rich doesn't have a shot at taking HIS position.

5. I really like Chung, and Meriweather for what its worth. I think they both will be great players and contributers. I like Chungs upside a little more though. Meriweather is a big hitter and more of a guesser, like Bengals S Roy Williams. You could also consider him a safety version of Asante Samuel. Anyways, Chung will defend better.

6. Haha. Gotta laugh it off. I think you were joking but I will still say there is no way Weis ends up with the Pats again.

7. I am still baffled by the Vrabel trade. There was no point to it. Yes, he's getting older and older, but is still one hell of a linebacker. I do agree that we don't really have a problem at LB position. I am a huge fan of Crable, and think he has a ton of potential. Adalius is a beast. Bruschi...we'll see. I like Guyton. I'm a little confused as to how we are going to use Lenon. His stay in Detroit doesn't tell us much. Their defense was terrible. I guess you could say he was an over-achiever in an under-achieving defense. Don't forget about Pierre Woods either. Oh, and if you are referring to Rosevelt Colvin as Rosie...we resigned him in December.

8. I like what you say about Butler. He is truely a gifter athlete. I don't think we'll use him as a return specialist right away, but he will eventually. Then again, I don't know who would man the duties now that Ellis is gone (another trade I don't approve of).

9. Time will tell. I am still not too sure about our secondary. Is it improved, yes. But how much? I think it all weighs on the perfomance of Leigh Bodden. Expert Analysts say he is in for a pro bowl year. If he is just that, our secondary will be great. I've always liked Shawn Springs but injurys always cost him. If he can stay healthy that will help as well.

10. Any tight end that comes to the Pats will immediately come into a limited role. The Pats train their tight ends to be blockers before catchers. It is interesting that we are sooooo deep at TE though. In my eyes, we have three starter capable TE's. Ben Watson needs to step up with he wants to keep his job. Chris Baker was an interesting signee for the Pats. He can do a lot of things for us. Alex Smith has underperformed ever since leaving college. He was thought of as a big time player so maybe the Pats can turn him around. Even with all of these talented TE's, we won't see any big number from any of them. I think they will be used get our receivers more space. Galloway, even at his age, has great speed and will be a huge deep threat (my favorite signing). Welker will do his thing and Moss will return (because of Brady) to '07 form. Look for the receivers to explode this year with all of the TE diversions.

---What do you think?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

3. Still confused on the hype of O' Connell. I have always looked at Brady's situation a lot like Peyton Manning's. They always have a fill in QB that fills a roster spot barring an injury. Manning had Sorgi, Brady had Cassel and now O' Connell. He's undersized but has decent speed and a good arm which is why the Pats drafted him but he is no more than a back QB.

Tobes in what world is O'Connel undersized at 6'5"?  Do you want Shaq as your QB?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: 10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009::
    [QUOTE]3. Still confused on the hype of O' Connell. I have always looked at Brady's situation a lot like Peyton Manning's. They always have a fill in QB that fills a roster spot barring an injury. Manning had Sorgi, Brady had Cassel and now O' Connell. He's undersized but has decent speed and a good arm which is why the Pats drafted him but he is no more than a back QB. Tobes in what world is O'Connel undersized at 6'5"?  Do you want Shaq as your QB?
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    He also has more than a decent arm, from scouting reports. He also is very smart when it comes to running and throwing, he was Captain in college 4 times, every since his freshman year, and also during that span he lead his team in rushing every year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tobes18. Show Tobes18's posts

In Response to Re: 10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009::
    [QUOTE]3. Still confused on the hype of O' Connell. I have always looked at Brady's situation a lot like Peyton Manning's. They always have a fill in QB that fills a roster spot barring an injury. Manning had Sorgi, Brady had Cassel and now O' Connell. He's undersized but has decent speed and a good arm which is why the Pats drafted him but he is no more than a back QB. Tobes in what world is O'Connel undersized at 6'5"?  Do you want Shaq as your QB?
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Yes, he's listed as 6' 5", 225 lbs...but I was talking more about his "undersized" playing (if that makes sense, used the wrong word), more than the acutal term itself. I meant he is not the typical QB for his size. He plays like a small QB. And hell if Shaq could throw the ball, I don't see many people tackling him. But judging on his freethrows, I'd say he wouldn't be too good. haha

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tobes18. Show Tobes18's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009: : He also has more than a decent arm, from scouting reports. He also is very smart when it comes to running and throwing, he was Captain in college 4 times, every since his freshman year, and also during that span he lead his team in rushing every year.
    Posted by thejoshuatree28[/QUOTE]

Agree. Actually, thats exactly what his scouting reports say. I just don't think his style of playing and sparatic accuracy translate into a pro QB. I don't mean to diss the kid, I like him, just don't think he will live up to his hype.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009: : Agree. Actually, thats exactly what his scouting reports say. I just don't think his style of playing and sparatic accuracy translate into a pro QB. I don't mean to diss the kid, I like him, just don't think he will live up to his hype.
    Posted by Tobes18[/QUOTE]Well if you were a star QB and you had to back up TB you wouldn't live up to your hype either! The chances of seeing this kid get more than garbage time until he becomes a FA and signs with another are minimal at best.I never get caught up on backups to great QB's simply because they only time they get in is if the Star gets racked or the score is so far out of reach that the HC puts in the Back up QB.So don't worry about O'Connell,if and when he gets into an actual game he'll be ready.Also he ran the ball at SDSU because he had no oline nor did he have the greatest of recievers,he did have a fairly decent completion pct. his SR.year....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonisquick. Show jonisquick's posts

1. Having had the same knee injury, not a real big leap that Brady won't peak right away.
    2. All I'll say about Faulk is he's proven me wrong, I never thought he'd be able to get over his fumbling issues.
    3. God-willing, we never have to find out how good Kevin O’Connell is.
    4. Not a chance Ohrnberger replaces Neal.  I'd be happy if he can atleast step in to back someone up,
    5. Hopefully, Meriweather is just realizing his potential, because up until this point, he's been a disappointment.  To think we could of had Beason, Woodley or Harris just disappoints me, especially considering our LB status to date. Hopefully, Chung is better.
    6.  Would be nice to get Weis back
    7.  If the dBs and Lbs step us this year, we are the team to beat
    8.  Gotta like Butler. But as is the case of all these guys, let's see them perform first b4 we start using any accolades.
    9.  Hopefully, Thomas can stay healthy and take another step in warranting what we thought we were getting.
    10. Agreed, TE's will play a much bigger role this year.  Come on Thomas, you've got some great hands, I hope you get to use them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattym. Show mattym's posts

Well it seems the Ohrnberger for Neal idea has been roundly shot down by all the "experts" here.  I use that term loosely.  There is going to be a surprise cut as there always seems to be - so my guess is Neal.  He is older than the other Oline and would save them 2 million bucks if cut.  It is more a guess to be different than anything else.

And I didn't realize how many people have Kevin Faulk as their binky.  Hope you dont get tire tread elbow pad scars on your back while he hammers down on all of you from behind.  But seriously, at some point there will be a precipitous falloff - after 1500 car collisions in his career I am guessing the drop-off comes sooner rather than later.  Don't get me wrong, I love Kevin Faulk's blunt smoking self, but all things end badly.  Otherwise, they wouldn't end.

As for crowning some rookies before the season, if I wait til the season and to see how they perform - then I would be writing for the AP as a pool reporter rather than from my parents basement on a message board at Boston.com.

These ten things were purely speculative and some tongue in cheek to get folks excited for the new season and thinking about some possibilities.  Hope you enjoyed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm not going to bother dissecting the initial post -- the usual suspects are all over it (welcome back). But I am awarding matty 15 Bonus Postie Points for being up front about his parents' basement.Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]Well it seems the Ohrnberger for Neal idea has been roundly shot down by all the "experts" here.  I use that term loosely.  There is going to be a surprise cut as there always seems to be - so my guess is Neal.  He is older than the other Oline and would save them 2 million bucks if cut.  It is more a guess to be different than anything else. And I didn't realize how many people have Kevin Faulk as their binky.  Hope you dont get tire tread elbow pad scars on your back while he hammers down on all of you from behind.  But seriously, at some point there will be a precipitous falloff - after 1500 car collisions in his career I am guessing the drop-off comes sooner rather than later.  Don't get me wrong, I love Kevin Faulk's blunt smoking self, but all things end badly.  Otherwise, they wouldn't end. As for crowning some rookies before the season, if I wait til the season and to see how they perform - then I would be writing for the AP as a pool reporter rather than from my parents basement on a message board at Boston.com. These ten things were purely speculative and some tongue in cheek to get folks excited for the new season and thinking about some possibilities.  Hope you enjoyed.
    Posted by mattym[/QUOTE]

Well said Mattym.  This whole forum is about us fans speculating, inducting rookies into the hall of fame before they even play a game, trying to trade our star QB because his backup played pretty well, wondering why BB likes a certain player, and my favorite topic, why does Peyton cry during games.  If we only discussed proven facts this forum would be boring as hell.  I suspect even the master posters on this forum, those who were posting here when I was a kid, are just speculating.

I think Brady will start off a little rusty, but will get back to form after a few games.  Anyone thinking he won't miss a beat is really choosing to ignore history with other players.  I know, "but he's Brady..."

I think Ed Reed may have something to say about us having two Ed Reeds; one being a rookie who hasn't played a game.

Faulk is the man.  I'll count him out only after I see him fizzle out.

I'd love both Weis and Romeo back.  I don't think we'll see it though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 10 things you need to know about the New England Patriots in 2009: : Agree. Actually, thats exactly what his scouting reports say. I just don't think his style of playing and sparatic accuracy translate into a pro QB. I don't mean to diss the kid, I like him, just don't think he will live up to his hype.
    Posted by Tobes18[/QUOTE]
    They also said that part of his sparatic accuracy was due to his OL was bad, and he didnt have great recivers, he was kinda San Diego states (his college right?) offense

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Great post!  As a Colt fan, I sure hope that many of those predictions don't come true, but it was a good synopsis of the best case scenario.  I'm going to have to create a similar post for my Colts, but something tells me this won't be the forum for it!  Not sure it will be received very well - in the best of times Colt forums tend to be somewhat more polemic and less optimistic than this place...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

This team has so much talent and heart, not to meantion great leadership from players and coaches. I just can't wait for the season to start. Everything I read about this team has me feeling quite optimistic, which kind of scares me. We can make all the predictions, critiques and judgements we want but it doesn't matter until the season starts. It can't come soon enough. Go Pats!