18 game season passed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

18 game season passed

Well the owners unanimously support the 18 game season. Wonder if this will impact the CBA as the players have to play two more full regular season games. Imagine records will be broken for single season and career over time. What's your take good/bad? I think it's good for the fans who want to see more regular season action, not so good for the players (injury reasons) and coaches (player evaluation).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a0299a/article/goodell-owners-pledge-support-to-18game-season?module=HP_headlines

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Re: 18 game season passed

Dude, did you actually read the article?

An 18 game season would have to be collectively agreeded upon to go into effect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

They did!!!????   No such reports I have heard... they indicate no vote was taken on this subject but a lot of quotes from owners regarding how they see the 18 game schedule benefiting the fans and eliminating some useless pre-season games.

Given all the OTA's and off -season training most players conduct, a 4 game pre-season is a waste of energy.  Look at how many are lost in pre-season, and for what? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

There was no formal vote and they have to propose it to the union first.

I don't like it either but it's going to happen because more games mean more revenue for the owners and the players.

Here's another link.

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2010/08/nfl-to-propose-18-game-season-to-union.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: 18 game season passed:
    [QUOTE]The playoffs are going to so bad after they make that switch. Too many injury's and people will be run down and tired the first few years. The product on the field is going to suffer big time.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Talk is if they go to more games the Rosters will be expanded for this very reason.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I hate this idea.

I haven't heard anything about roster expansion with the 18 game schedule.  Which doesn't mean much.  The thought was you're just replacing two pre-season games with two regular games which is not the same.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]Dude, did you actually read the article? An 18 game season who have to be collectively agreeded upon to go into effect.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

Yup, this is going to be part of the new CBA and you know the players union isn't going to want to go for it so it's not in stone yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I hope the players shut this down

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

It is interesting because it seems like most fans don't like this idea, clearly about selling more tickets/ad time.  Seems like a classic case of "if it ain't broke....."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Wow...Sheriff Goodell is really trying to make his mark in the NFL history books. Whatever happened to the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Whenever I hear the espn people discuss this issue they always go out of their way to say "and, of course, the fans are all for adding games" - when this is clearly not the case. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

This will be the "deal breaker" that will result in a lock out/walk out, but the owners will get what their greedy little hearts desire.  Look at baseball - played way too late into the middle/end of October, Hockey and roundball go in to May/June.  More games, more money, results in more ho, hum.  Only we diehards watch the entire season of anything any more.  Most just tune in to the play offs or watch specific match ups during the regular season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]That is just a BS misdirect by owners to bring up the pre season. If they want fans to be happy about pre season games and they are so concerned about us why dont they lower the ticket price for a pre season game? Whats that you say? Because they dont really care at all and the 18 game schedule is just so they can make their wallets bigger. This is so bad for the NFL the only people who benefit from this are the owners...big shocker there.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

Pretty Much sums it up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]This will be the "deal breaker" that will result in a lock out/walk out, but the owners will get what their greedy little hearts desire.  Look at baseball - played way too late into the middle/end of October, Hockey and roundball go in to May/June.  More games, more money, results in more ho, hum.  Only we diehards watch the entire season of anything any more.  Most just tune in to the play offs or watch specific match ups during the regular season.
    Posted by kildog[/QUOTE]

That's one of things I was wondering. Will they start in August or play the Superbowl in mid February.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

[QUOTE]Whenever I hear the espn people discuss this issue they always go out of their way to say "and, of course, the fans are all for adding games" - when this is clearly not the case. 
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]

So true...I don't know any NFL fan that wants an 18 game season. Who are they basing their facts on?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree they are messing with a good thing but it will likely happen and they will have to add to the roster size. Not really worried about this right now. need to see how it shakes out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

[QUOTE]It is interesting because it seems like most fans don't like this idea, clearly about selling more tickets/ad time.  Seems like a classic case of "if it ain't broke....."
    Posted by Calmy[/QUOTE]

it will backfire on the owners when their teams are like 2-14 and can't sell out the last two games of the season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 18 game season passed : So true...I don't know any NFL fan that wants an 18 game season. Who are they basing their facts on?
    Posted by Rodimus77[/QUOTE]

If they keep telling us that we all want it maybe we'll eventually start to want it. That's what Politicians constantly do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 18 game season passed : Yup, this is going to be part of the new CBA and you know the players union isn't going to want to go for it so it's not in stone yet.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]
    What??? The players are 100% IN FAVOR of it as long as they GET PAID for the extra games. The owners will agree to paying the players for the games in return for a rookie salary cap

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

This is going to happen.  The details will be left up to the new collective bargaining agreement, so it may hurt the chances of seeing a full season in 2011, but you can bet that it will be a reality soon.  If the owners want more football, and the public supports the idea, which is the case, then expect the pre-season to shorten, and the full season to extend.  Owners will have to increase revenue to keep up with elevated salaries, it's simple economics.  It will certainly change the game, but the NFL can survive just about any change.  This is what the owners will require, to come to terms with the players union's requests otherwise.  What is significant about the NFL is that the product is so high above other sports marketability, that it can survive a lockout, or walkout.  Unfortunately, we are likely to see this in 2011.  The players union will break, so expect 18 games in 2012.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 18 game season passed : What??? The players are 100% IN FAVOR of it as long as they GET PAID for the extra games. The owners will agree to paying the players for the games in return for a rookie salary cap
    Posted by ronk1[/QUOTE]

How do you know this? Are you the head of their union?  Did you poll every player in the NFL?  No group is 100% behind anything.

Playing more games exposes the players to a greater risk of catastrophic injury that could end their careers thus eliminating any future earning potential.  So what good is more money if your out of football?  It's great for the owners, not so for the players at which it comes at a greater cost.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

What I'm seeing here is a lot of bluster and gnashing of teeth over what is essentially nothing.

News flash:

They're already playing twenty games.

All this will do is eliminate two "preseason" games and teams are going to have to come together on the fly. With an expanded roster and proper player management, this will increase the wear and tear on the players' bodies exactly not at all. With all this uproar over diluting the product and the desperate plight of the poor, downtrodden player, many of you sound as if you'd be happier if they went back to a 14-game season . . .  or 12 (which will happen right after pigs fly and my ex-wife admits she may have been mistaken). And although this will line the owners' pockets with more TV money, season-ticket holders are already paying full price for exhibition games many of them don't even attend, so they're actually getting a break here.

Frankly, I don't believe football fans when they say they don't want more games. What is so perfect about 16? This "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra is nonsense. Was it broke before the merger? Was it broke before expansion? Was it broke before the last time they extended the season? Or the time before that? It's all about the money. Players want money and owners want money and the only way they can both get it is to keep expanding.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the next thing they try to convince us we want is four more wild-card teams.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

this will only lead to more injuries...good luck with that NFL

and if this passes...just put a freaking skirt on the QB because he is going to have more protection from the refs than the president gets from the secret service

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If they go to 18 games they'll have to do the following things *IMHO*

1). Raise the team roster by 10 or more players.
    2). Raise the salary cap because the players will want to get paid for the 2 extra games, and so would I.
    3). Eliminate 2 preseason games. They'll have to have week long joint practices with the 2 preseason teams to give the coaches more time to evaluate the lower tier players.
    4). Lenghten training camp to help evaluate lower tier players.
    5). Increase the size of the training camp roster.
    6). Possibly have something like the 15 day DL in baseball.

Personally I'd like to have a 16 game season, 2 preseason games with joint practices, a DL, and a 65 man roster with 55 active on game day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

This proposal may benifit the owners, the fans may or may not like it, but one thing is for sure, it will be brutal for the players, even if they do get a couple extra paychecks...........