1st 3 Games: 2010 vs. 2011

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVA33. Show PatsFanVA33's posts

1st 3 Games: 2010 vs. 2011

Would you all believe last year through 3 games we gave up more points than through 3 games this year?

Yep, it's true!

2010: Bengals 24, Jets 28, Bills 30 = 82
    2011: Dolphins 24, Chargers 21, Bills 34 = 79

At this point I would argue this years 1st 3 games were against better passing offenses and maybe the defense isn't as bad as we think it truly is...just saying!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVA33. Show PatsFanVA33's posts

Re: 1st 3 Games: 2010 vs. 2011

Bingo...it's where I was going with this post!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Yes, especially against us. Rivers puts up a 62 vs KC & an 85 vs Minn, against us? 97.  Tom Brady's fault.  Henne puts up a 56 vs the Texans and a 96 against us.  Damm that Tom Brady. 
    Fine, passing yards are up in some cases, 8 teams are giving up less than 200 ypg. Only 3 teams are giving up more than 300 ypg.   Only two more than 350 ypg, here we are at 380.  You're good with that?   Good with giving up a 90+ rating to the likes of Henne?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

3 points is a marginal difference (you can even subtract the pick 6 against buffalo and the difference remains 3 because last year there was a kickoff td return against buffalo).  If you compare the run defense in the first 3 games of both years in terms of YPC it is an improvement of .1 ypc this year which is good.  That being said it is hard to get a feel for how improved the run D is when teams are passing it 40+ times a game.  Sacks are up, but if you compare sacks per pass attempt both years are basically identical.  It's true that you could argue that the teams from this year have better offenses, but at the same time the D is giving up significantly more yards and yards per play through 3 games (yes points is what ultimately matters, but if you continue to give up almost 500 yards a game unless we get like 4 takeaways per game the pts/game allowed will go up). I agree the D has room for improvement, but the evidence from the first 3 games this year is mixed at best imo.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Not sure I'd say the run defense is vastly improved yet. Granted some guys were out but Jackson averaged 6.2 a pop and Mathews 5.3. Patriot opponents just aren't running it with much frequency so the yards allowed have been low. I feel a lot more confident about making a stuff when the other team is in the redzone though

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: 1st 3 Games: 2010 vs. 2011:
    [QUOTE]3 points is a marginal difference (you can even subtract the pick 6 against buffalo and the difference remains 3 because last year there was a kickoff td return against buffalo).  If you compare the run defense in the first 3 games of both years in terms of YPC it is an improvement of .1 ypc this year which is good.  That being said it is hard to get a feel for how improved the run D is when teams are passing it 40+ times a game.  Sacks are up, but if you compare sacks per pass attempt both years are basically identical.  It's true that you could argue that the teams from this year have better offenses, but at the same time the D is giving up significantly more yards and yards per play through 3 games (yes points is what ultimately matters, but if you continue to give up almost 500 yards a game unless we get like 4 takeaways per game the pts/game allowed will go up). I agree the D has room for improvement, but the evidence from the first 3 games this year is mixed at best imo.
    Posted by 423206852231dc13f5b2e36577a3bcfa[/QUOTE]

I'd hate to forget your user name. How would you login again?! Make sure you tick that 'remember me' option at sign in. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]3 points is a marginal difference (you can even subtract the pick 6 against buffalo and the difference remains 3 because last year there was a kickoff td return against buffalo).  If you compare the run defense in the first 3 games of both years in terms of YPC it is an improvement of .1 ypc this year which is good.  That being said it is hard to get a feel for how improved the run D is when teams are passing it 40+ times a game.  Sacks are up, but if you compare sacks per pass attempt both years are basically identical.  It's true that you could argue that the teams from this year have better offenses, but at the same time the D is giving up significantly more yards and yards per play through 3 games (yes points is what ultimately matters, but if you continue to give up almost 500 yards a game unless we get like 4 takeaways per game the pts/game allowed will go up). I agree the D has room for improvement, but the evidence from the first 3 games this year is mixed at best imo.

If Dwight Schrute from The Office was on this board, it would be under a user name like this. He'd be suspicious of the Feds who may be tracking his every move, even on Boston.com. Hahaha

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3993225. Show user_3993225's posts

Apparently I'm a forum noob.  No idea how this username was generated, but it's not what I log in with.  Too lazy to fix it.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

[QUOTE]  Too lazy to fix it.  :)

No worries, man, that's the American way!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Excellent thread.  Plus this year the D has relaxed a bit due to gargantuan points put up by Brady - plus 7 of the points this year are on Brady.  All in all, off to a good start and the season can only get better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Keep putting lipstick on that pig guys. Thank goodness we have Brady or we would probably be in competition for Andrew Luck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Wow, lot's of stats to make you feel good ? I'm not big on stats, I go with what I see. The one stat I know regarding this defense is IT'S DEAD LAST in the league & I think it was DEAD LAST last year too. What I see confirms this. If the other team has 3rd & 10, no problem for them. Used to be that 3rd & 10 meant the other team would be punting. I actually like it when it's 3rd & 4 or 5, because the other team might run it, then at least it's not a guaranteed 1st down.

I also couldn't care less what GB or other teams are allowing for points or yards, or the trend league wide. I care about what OUR team is doing, and on defense, that's NOT MUCH. Aside from 2 goal line stands, I've seen NOTHING

The Pat's have not had any defense for a LOOOOONG TIME. NOBODY fears them.

Bend don't break. How about attack & destroy ??? They play so soft it's pathetic & have for YEARS. Not very "brilliant" for a defensive "genius"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

In Response to 1st 3 Games: 2010 vs. 2011:
    [QUOTE]Would you all believe last year through 3 games we gave up more points than through 3 games this year? Yep, it's true! 2010: Bengals 24, Jets 28, Bills 30 = 82 2011: Dolphins 24, Chargers 21, Bills 34 = 79 At this point I would argue this years 1st 3 games were against better passing offenses and maybe the defense isn't as bad as we think it truly is...just saying!!!
    Posted by PatsFanVA33[/QUOTE]

Wow, now I don't feel so bad.  Based on these stats, the Patriots D was last in total Defense and really bad, and this years squad is last in total defense and just plain bad.  

I doubt and Hall of fame QB ever won as many games a Brady with this kind of defense.