2009 Patriots set to be the Greatest Patriots Team ever!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

2009 Patriots set to be the Greatest Patriots Team ever!

Without sounding like a complete homer, on Paper this year's Patriots team could possibly be the greatest Patriots team ever.  Excluding injuries, which nobody can predict.  On Paper the Patriots are Locked and Loaded.

Burgess- two time Pro bowler in his prime.  A.D. is ready for a monster season.  Mayo is defensive rookie of the year.  Springs along with a season Merriweather and 2nd rd picks Butler and Chung should solidify the backfield.  The Pats have normally had older veteran players on defense, even in thre superbowls runs.  But a younger, stronger defense should be exciting to watch.

On offense is where things could get out of control.  Fred Taylor can still play at a high level, Galloway will be in single coverage with Moss and Welker.  Baker and Smith may prove to be the biggest additions to the offense.  Both in run blocking and stability at the TE position.
    And of course Brady is hungry as ever to get back on the field.  This is quite relevant as most can remember thinking Brady was tired of the game a couple of years back.  I'm not saying he was, but that what was being speculated.

I'm not saying the Pats will go undefeated, and I really could care less if they do.  I just want another ring for my Patriots.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: 2009 Patriots set to be the Greatest Patriots Team ever!

With any luck, the Pats will lose their opener to Buffalo and we can dispense with this nonsense immediately.

I was flipping channels the other night and I came across the "Spygate" episode of South Park.

What does that have to do with this?

As Demitri Martin might say, "Think about it."

(clearly I am watching far too much Comedy Central)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

I don't want to go the through another undefeated season. The pressure was killing me..imagine the team. Lets hope for 14 and 2 season secure home field and roll on from there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Tough preseason opener against Philly. Let's just get through that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Glad this was qualified by saying "on paper".  We have a tougher schedule, but if we get through the first part of the season unscathed, there is no telling what they can do this year.  I'm worried about the first 4-6 games of the season.  Not because of any particular opponent, but because I don't expect all of the new faces on D to gel from game 1.  I also expect at least a game or two of rust on Brady.

Once the team gels, only the injury bug will cause us to lose more than 3 games this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

In Response to Re: 2009 Patriots set to be the Greatest Patriots Team ever!:
    [QUOTE]Tough preseason opener against Philly. Let's just get through that.
    Posted by rocher[/QUOTE]

Agreed, that's a good place to start, and come out unscathed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Great place to start. Pittsburgh has the Bowl, but the Pats have the bullseye on their chest. This is as much depth the Pats have had since at least 04. Homefield would be nice. A 15-1 85 Bears record would be ideal. The Pats will be free of canine killers and, yet remarkably hungry for their next title. Ring dinner bell TO on the menu.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Versatility is also important.

BB has three active QBs now, just in case.  O'Connell has somewhat gotten over the rookies.  Walter can play if managed properly.  Yes this counts.  But having a #1 QB in the NFL (I think he's slightly better than Peyton because he rings up the points in the 40s and 50s better) is a great start.  Oh, Edelman can run the Wildcat if that's some team's weakness. 

The wideouts list has to barely include Edelman, who is working his way in.  Moss and Welker command double teams, and Galloway really should be double teamed especially with Brady's accuracy.  Edelman could be another Welker, but otherwise they're all pretty different.  BB will use the ones that a particular defense dislikes the most.

The tight end position just got more versatile.  Good blocker, good pass catcher, good H-back.  Choice is good.  No fullback, though.

I'm only moderately impressed with the RB group.  Sorry.  At least they can pass-block and catch screens.  I'm impressed with their versatility.  Sammy the Bull hits the pile, Maroney runs wide with zone-blocking and makes one cut, Faulk is a dodgey little pass-catching back on third down.  BB thinks the world of running screens, bubble screens and short dumps all day as an alternative to running plays.

The O-line got a boost with Vollmer, maybe an early boost.  Otherwise, the same dependable pass-blocking guys.

The D-line just got cranked up even higher against the power run (the Bills, the Jets and Pittsburgh come to mind).  Big Brace just isn't going backwards, and he'll play in the rotation the first game out.  Other teams have no idea how big a big D-line can be.  Watch for a 4-3 solid unmoving wall of bodies as needed.  Once BB came out with a 5-2 against Pittsburgh.

Bruschi's getting a bit slow.  Otherwise, Mayo is on top of his game now, and Adalius and the new guy will be great.  These guys all outweigh the average NFL linebacker by 15 pounds, so pounding the ball against the Patriots will only earn you third and long.

The backfield just went from fairly lousy to middle-of-the-NFL, after major surgery this off-season.  A good pass rush will make them look much better.  BB has his two run subpackage safeties in Tank Williams and Chung, who act almost like fifth linebackers.  Alternatively, BB can play a greatexpanded, fast dime backfield against Peyton.

Ghost can kick!  I see several different varieties of kickoff returners:  Edelman has the NFL's best lateral acceleration, Maroney plows over the bugs for extra yardage, and then BB has pure speed options too.   It depends on the other team's weakness.  BB didn't have these options before.  

Now we get to coaching.  BB (and staff) constantly invents.  They put their players in place to make the plays, and they drive other coaches crazy.  The line comes out firing for run blocks one week and pass-blocks the next.  The 3-4 already morphs into a 4-3 quickly, and everybody trades places on the line, looking for a weakness.  New for 2009, one linebacker lines up directly behind another linebacker.  What's that about?  Now an extra linebacker morphs into a safety at times.  As usual, everybody blitzes at one time or another. 

Other coaches get the credit for a completely new offensive playing style, but BB swipes what he likes and puts a twist on it.  Indianapolis pioneered the no-huddle, but Tom Brady only calls the no-huddle quite quickly and sporadically, after the other team is changing up, or in the last 2 minutes.  Miami pioneered the wildcat, but BB already has drafted a wildcat QB just in case. 

Final word, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the greatest Patriots team ever.  It does have competition, though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The only time we should mention the "undefeated" word is when we reference the most important undefeated season I care to see from the Pats and that starts with playoff game #1 and ends with a big V in the SB.  The regular season is just the preamble to getting there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

All eyes on the prize this year. Not into the undefeated season just into winning Super Bowl #4 for the franchise.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigDaddy47. Show BigDaddy47's posts

I think this thread has gotten a bit off track.  I am not so sure that the 2009 Pats are going to be the best "Patriots team" that we have been blessed to see.  Do I believe that they are going to go deep in the playoffs and win the Superbowl?  Absolutely!  But I dont think that this collection will be the best "Patriots Team" ever.  I might be aging myself, but when the '86 Pats went to the Superbowl and got crushed by da Bears, I dont think there was a better story or team for that matter.  This years team has an incredible collection of talent that was put together by an organization that is heads and tails above the rest of the NFL.  They get robbed of tallent both at the personnel level as well at the executive level every year and still find a way to succceed.  However, as much as I LOVE living in the Kraft era, I dont think the '86 teamm can be touched as the best Pats team we have seen.  Lippet, Tippet, Nelson. Hannah......Squish the Fish...Berry the Bears.....this was a team that personified "team".  In this world of free agency I feel the concept of team has gone to the wayside.  We get confused between "teamwork" and winning - they arent synonymous anymore.  As the Yankees have proven in this decade, you can have all the talent (and roids) in the world and not win a title because your are lacking in teamwork and chemistry.  That '86 Patriots team had the chemistry that champions are made of.  Unfortunately that year the Bears were loaded with talent, chemistry, and one heck of a music video!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Hey bones, the 86 SB QB for the Pats was Tony "Does my skirt match my lipstick?" Eason. 

We had a good running game and a good defense, though.

The 2009 running game could be fantastic, I think. It could rival 1986 and 2004.

Especially when you take into account the resources other teams will have to use up to cover Moss, welker and Galloway.

I have to break ranks here....I am definitely rooting for a perfect season!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]that should say does to people..
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

That's OK.  We're used to Tarzan English from Giants fans.  I agree with you about the 85/86 Pats though.  While they are absolutely my sentimental favorite (followed by the 01 team), they would have been beaten handily.  The Super Bowl that year was painful to watch.  Just when we rose above a gazillion years of nothingness, we get slaughtered worse than a dog owned by Vick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

19-0 is soooooooooooooo 2007.

16-3 Super Bowl Champions is 2009 baby! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from THEGREATgymrat36. Show THEGREATgymrat36's posts

Leon the story teller.....aka mother goose!!! What did you say you played?

The patriots are going to kill the jets this year....Wait did farve retire yet, maybe he can be a back-up

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Hey, I loved that '85 team as much as anybody, but even if you discount the tremendous thrashing it took from the Bears, that "team" was seriously character deficient (which is not to say that it lacked characters). Whether it was the jovial snickering at Tony Eason or Tony Collins and the Cocaine Cowboys, those Pats were clearly not ready for prime time. It was a wonderful ride and those of us who carried the banner through all of the lean years will always revere that team, but dude . . .  that Super Bowl did nothing but confirm average NFL fan's opinion that the Pats were a joke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]I think this thread has gotten a bit off track.  I am not so sure that the 2009 Pats are going to be the best "Patriots team" that we have been blessed to see.  Do I believe that they are going to go deep in the playoffs and win the Superbowl?  Absolutely!  But I dont think that this collection will be the best "Patriots Team" ever.  I might be aging myself, but when the '86 Pats went to the Superbowl and got crushed by da Bears, I dont think there was a better story or team for that matter.  This years team has an incredible collection of talent that was put together by an organization that is heads and tails above the rest of the NFL.  They get robbed of tallent both at the personnel level as well at the executive level every year and still find a way to succceed.  However, as much as I LOVE living in the Kraft era, I dont think the '86 teamm can be touched as the best Pats team we have seen.  Lippet, Tippet, Nelson. Hannah......Squish the Fish...Berry the Bears.....this was a team that personified "team".  In this world of free agency I feel the concept of team has gone to the wayside.  We get confused between "teamwork" and winning - they arent synonymous anymore.  As the Yankees have proven in this decade, you can have all the talent (and roids) in the world and not win a title because your are lacking in teamwork and chemistry.  That '86 Patriots team had the chemistry that champions are made of.  Unfortunately that year the Bears were loaded with talent, chemistry, and one heck of a music video!
    Posted by Sphbones[/QUOTE]

Bones, I like the '86 Patriots, but as far as "teamwork" goes, the 2001 Patriots are far and away the best "team" ever, and that goes for all Superbowl winners.  The 2001 Patriots gave us the biggest Superbowl upset behind the Jets and Colts, they played against one of the best offensive units ever(greatest show on turf), and they were the first team in Superbowl history to be presented as a "team".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2009 Patriots set to be the Greatest Patriots Team ever! : Bones, I like the '86 Patriots, but as far as "teamwork" goes, the 2001 Patriots are far and away the best "team" ever, and that goes for all Superbowl winners.  The 2001 Patriots gave us the biggest Superbowl upset behind the Jets and Colts, they played against one of the best offensive units ever(greatest show on turf), and they were the first team in Superbowl history to be presented as a "team".
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

I would say they gave us one of the biggest Superbowl upsets behind the Giants, Jets, and Colts.  Yeah, I've tried to forget that game too...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"Hey bones, the 86 SB QB for the Pats was Tony "Does my skirt match my lipstick?" Eason."

Or does the skirt match the blood I once saw dripping down his face inside his helmet?
    And besides, I don't mind the pressure of being undefeated. I hope we win a thousand in a row. Go Pats!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

What pressure?  16 - 0, We have already been there and done that.  BB has this team poised to destroy the league. 

Don't underestimate how much every player in that locker room want's to one better 2007.  It's just the nature of competitive people.  To always do better then your best.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]What pressure?  16 - 0, We have already been there and done that.  BB has this team poised to destroy the league.  Don't underestimate how much every player in that locker room want's to one better 2007.  It's just the nature of competitive people.  To always do better then your best.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

And the pats have the only players in the league that feel this way????  please!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2009 Patriots set to be the Greatest Patriots Team ever! : And the pats have the only players in the league that feel this way????  please!
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

Colt fans are really stupid.  Tell me Corn Husk where do I say that the Patriots are the only ones who feel this way? 

I'll help you with your comprehension.  I made a general comment about athletes (competitive people).  This would include players from all teams and sports for that matter. 

Lay off the fried meat sandwiches pony boy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-Bad-Bruins91. Show Big-Bad-Bruins91's posts

All I want is another Super Bowl ring. I'd give up the 16-0 season for a ring.