2009 RB Depth Chart - Maroney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

2009 RB Depth Chart - Maroney

I've been following the patriots for two seasons from Australia. So id like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Ive heard the RB chart could be:

Fred Taylor
    Sammy Morris
    Kevin Faulk
    Laurence Maroney
    (Draft pick???/Law firm BGE)

What are your thoughts on Lauence Maroney? It just shocks me that he was looking like our definate starter to our 4th RB?

Is he a bust?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: 2009 RB Depth Chart - Maroney

Maroney's stock has fallen a lot due to injuries and tentative running.  He still clearly has upside, as he was nothing short of spectacular during the second half of the 2007 season and the playoffs.

Although I like the depth of the group a lot, my hope is that Maroney plays his way back to the top of the depth chart.  He has the most long-term upside, by far, and it would be very helpful to the future of the franchise if he re-establishes himself as a #1 back.

If he doesn't do that this year, I think you could then call him a bust.

Great to hear about people following the Pats from the other side of the world.  Are you originally from the US or did you just get into football by following it from afar?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

he had two decent years and then one bad year. he'll make the team this year and then we'll have to see what happens to determine what happens next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

No, ive always lived in Australia but have been following the NFL closely.

From what ive seen, im sure maroney (without injuries) can still become no1.

If we only had 2 RB's, who would you choose to start? Maroney or Taylor?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

he was a good dancer in collage but doen't seem to enjoy the pain in the pros. his problem seems to be in his head. its hard to fix that kind of problem, you can't teach it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from noahsark. Show noahsark's posts

Re: 2009 RB Depth Chart - Watson, Thomas or both

Is big Ben ready to step up this season? Will Thomas be given the PT or have we lost faith in him. It's hard to see why we should keep both when neither has performed to expectation. Anyone see the strategy behinf the current TE depth chart?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

hmmm, not sure. Im interested to see how much of an impact Baker will play with Ben Watson.

Am in right in saying Baker is more of a target for Brady?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cannon-Ball. Show Cannon-Ball's posts

Where did you get this depth chart from???

If this is a real depth chart, this may just be to motivate Maroney to get his a s s in gear.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

He is, what he is at this point in his career.  Don't expect anything else from him.  He isn't magically going to transform overnight into a 1200 yard rusher.  He will miss 4-5 games and be lucky to get 500 yards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BXBoston. Show BXBoston's posts

If he doesn't produce this year he's going to officially labled a 'BUST" . I doubt he'll be a Patriot after this season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hmm. Coming from the Big-10 with truck sized holes and dog slow DBs to the NFL is a transition. But Maroney's biggest knock is his unfortunate knack for getting hurt.

We will see. In the 16 games he played in 2007 (counting the playoffs) he had a 1115 yrds and 9 TDs. I think at that point NE hadto be happy, because when you are platooning RB's that is about the best you can hope for.

The idea is that you cna play it safe with injuries, and rest the RB's so they have something left in the playoffs.

That said, missing a whole season was bogus.

If he gets injured this season, or can't at least get to 800-900 yards he is a bust for sure.

But given his contract, that is two seasons left to prove it or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Dillon was the bruiserback when Maroney was a rookie, and they used Maroney for the "quick moves" and not so much the downhill running. He's used to dancing around, and that's going to hurt him because he can't do that and still be a powerful runner through the gap. It seems Law Firm has no problem throwing his body into the pile which is something that is going to make him valuable if he steps up this year. If he learns from Taylor and Faulk, I think Law Firm might be the future #2 back for the Pats. Maroney will need to prove he can forget dancing and make quick decisions and not be hurt all the time. If he can do that I think he'll come out being a #1 back for the Pats long-term. If not, we'll be taking some RBs in the draft as candidates to replace Taylor and Faulk (assuming Law Firm doesn't fill one of those roles).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If the Pats draft a RB by pick 58 Maroney can count his days left in NE.  He is a bust, don't know how long they will give him but if Brown from UConn comes in that's the end of Maroney and I wouldn't be shocked to see him traded to the Broncos for a 2010 pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

The stat that Zb put up from 2007 is very telling.  1115 yards and 9 TD's in 16 games is far from disappointing.  His rookie year was also very promising.  Therefore, despite all the Maroney bashing, he has only had 1 truly disappointing year in his 3 year career.  Injuries are a concern, but don't be surprised if Maroney breaks out again this year, similarly to 2007.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

If healthy Maroney will see the most playing time of this group.  He is the fastest, most talented back on the roster.  The Pats are lucky that they're deep at this position and I'd be surprised if they took a back in the first three rounds of the draft.  I don't know how Maroney got the reputation of being soft.  He's not, when healthy.  Last year before he went down for the season with the shoulder injury he was avoiding some contact.  This is a guy who was trying to play in pain to help his team and some fans only remember the image of a guy running out of bounds before he would get hit.  I'm glad they haven't given up on him and I think you'l see a statement from him this season with his hard play.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

The stat that Zb put up from 2007 is very telling.  1115 yards and 9 TD's in 16 games is far from disappointing.  His rookie year was also very promising.  Therefore, despite all the Maroney bashing, he has only had 1 truly disappointing year in his 3 year career.  Injuries are a concern, but don't be surprised if Maroney breaks out again this year, similarly to 2007.
    Posted by pyegian

That's exactly right. But my question is this:

Is Fred Taylor our starter or for insurance to Maroney in case of injury?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

That's exactly right. But my question is this: Is Fred Taylor our starter or for insurance to Maroney in case of injury?
    Posted by wiggy26

Stater???  There is no "starter."  It's a runningback quintze by COMMITTEE!  By definition they'll play whomever they think is the best positional RB for the given situation...

This is a dumba$$ board...  The title of this board should be:

2009 TE Depth Chart - Watson

We have 5 RB's why is this a discussion?  We have 3 avg. TE's.  Talk about a bigger issue and don't be surprised if we jump up a spot or grab Pettigrew!

Peas Donks

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

^^^^^ your the dumba$$ for clicking here.

let others interested in the Pats RB situation talk about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Maroney is on his last shot to show he can play he is not the #1 RB he is in fact the number 4 back in a 5 man rotation and he could even be traded during the draft.It's unfortunate but he goes east and west too much for BB's liking.Morris will be the starting RB,with Taylor taking the rest of the snaps and Faulk will be his usual self on third down,I don't know what downs will be left for the 4 and 5th backs but I'm sure they'll get some carries.I think the Patriots like a couple of RB's in the draft and may select one,the fullback as it is listed on the depth chart on MSN's sports page is Dave Thomas,did he ever play that position at Texas?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If Maroney fights his way back into teh starting job in training camp i think that will be a major message that he is ready to go. I think Watson is a far better receiving TE then Baker but Baker is a better all around TE. I want to see how Watson does with Brady back in the line up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

If Maroney fights his way back into teh starting job in training camp i think that will be a major message that he is ready to go. I think Watson is a far better receiving TE then Baker but Baker is a better all around TE. I want to see how Watson does with Brady back in the line up.
    Posted by MVPkilla

Neither of those TEs are going to scare any D around the league.  Now if we draft a Shawn Nelson who's got the size and hands to be a very good receiving TE then we can see less of a double teams on the outside.  He will command some respect in the middle and even can stretch defenses down the field on seam routes.

He's a second round guy that I'm sure Brady wouldn't mind getting as another weapon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

One thing about this situation is that Maroney has a lower salary this year than Taylor, Faulk, and Morris. I think with his potential and low pay he is very unlikely to be cut.  he will atleast finish out his rookie contract.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Hey Pats, Shawn Nelson would be a devastating downfield threat. If he's there @58, BB might just grab him.

Keep Ingram (Gator) in mind. If Ingram is there @88, that would be a steal. The man has great hands and superb athlete.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

As for Maroney, I like his talent. But to be honest, I can't stand to watch him dance. It drives me bonkers.

25. This post has been removed.